Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

zerks wrote: »
    CDCANUEVIAAiYUf.jpg

Only disclaimer with that would be figures in Dutch league can be unrealistic with the likes of Afonso Alves, Kezman and Luuk De Jong examples. Depay is good but no way he'll get 20 goals for us next year!

one of the papers had the targets being Clyne, Hummels and/or Marquinos, Pogba (HA!) and Depay.

Going to be honest, I've seen fúck all of Clyne to make a decision on him. Pogba would be great and I'd like to see him back, but there's just something so wrong about paying £50-60m for a player who only left the club on a free a few years ago! I have no interest in opening up the blame game at this moment with whose fault that was, it's just a bit bonkers if he does end up back at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think if Gundogan stays fit we will be in for him in the summer, a perfect Van Gaal player can play all 3 of the midfield positions he uses

Clyne, Hummels, Depay and Gundogan would be a good summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

stankratz wrote: »
    You're right Vic, more than likely we'll have to address RB as well. I'm currently a bit split on the position though. The realist in me says that Rafael is done at the club and Tony V shouldn't be 1st choice at RB despite a recent good run of form in the position. So for that, then 'yes', we need a RB. Then I think that if we have those 2 players next season, RB is less of a priority than the other positions over the Summer. It's a classic case of 'head versus heart' I think, so maybe I should go with the brain who is currently laughing at the heart for thinking that Rafeal will be back and that Tony V will maintain this good form at RB indefinitely.

Such a shame about Raf imo, one of my favourite players, mad as a box of frogs though at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I would think/ hope Depay is confirmed in the next few days

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Valencia has been far from very solid imo. Boring to watch maybe, but not solid. He is still very poor at crossing and even though he's improved his defending, he's still only okay, at best, at it.

Unfortunately I suspect that Van Gaal likes Valencia a lot and will keep him first choice next season.

He still has a way to go, but it's good to see him taking on defenders again and actually beating them.

I think you are 100% on LVG and Valencia, he seems to really like him. I could be way off here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony with the most appearances this season outside of Rooney and DDG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sky comparison is odd. Hes not a conventional striker and plays from the left.

Apt comparison (in terms of positional only) would be with the likes of Hazard, Young, Sanchez, Sterling, Willian, Chadli etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Valencia has been far from very solid imo. Boring to watch maybe, but not solid. He is still very poor at crossing and even though he's improved his defending, he's still only okay, at best, at it.

Unfortunately I suspect that Van Gaal likes Valencia a lot and will keep him first choice next season.

Steady would be the best way to describe him,it's no accident that most of our chances from wide come from the left side.Valencia even as a converted winger has totally failed to grasp the concept of the overlapping run.At least Rafael does that very well.On the odd occassion that Val does it,he either over hits a cross or smashes it against a defender.He'd wreck your head watching him attack.

stankratz wrote: »
    He still has a way to go, but it's good to see him taking on defenders again and actually beating them.

I think you are 100% on LVG and Valencia, he seems to really like him. I could be way off here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony with the most appearances this season outside of Rooney and DDG.

Tony is 4th. Mata has played 27 games to Tonys 26, Rooney 29 & DDG 33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd consider Valencia to be solid.

Struggling to remember him getting flipped inside out on that side since Christmas. Some questions over Hazards goal on Sat but he was pressing the ball.

Call me old fashioned but when I talk about right backs I like to start with their defending. He hasn't been exposed badly or made a fool of at all.

Even if Clyne or a RB did come in...I'd imagine their first job would be to try usurp Valencia.

Attacking wise his crossing is lacklustre..but some linkups developing with Mata and Herrera. I think he wasn't as adventurous on Sat with the very real Hazard concern which was fair enough.

The dominanting focus in media and things like Neville analysis has been on the left channel with Fellaini,Young and Blind but the right with Herrera,Mata and Valencia has also been excellent.

We couldn't utilise it well on Sat with Herrera playing deep and Blind missing and Chelsea sitting deep. Was evident how Rooney was roaming a bit too much and it wasn't allowing Mata to come into the game.

Crucial will be getting something in place for Carrick. Was a real pity Blind was also injured.

On reflection of theme recent run. Victories against Spurs,Liverpool , Villa and City with a defeat against City is a trendous return. Id said before the run Spurs and Liverpool were the big ones as at the time City and Chelsea games looked a draw at best. Incredible how quickly it changed.

Even the perfoance on Sat gives impotus for the team to not loose confidence and to keep the levels going upwards. On reflection we didn't play them off the park and didn't really threaten as often as maybe we should have. But for the purposes of maintaining confidence I'm not suprised the noises from the camp are positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I would think/ hope Depay is confirmed in the next few days

You must be drunk. :)

This is Man United you are talking about. Most likely it'll be on and off for the next 4 months with the usual scramble for signings in the last week of the window. Expect him to be part of the transfer deadline day stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

GSPfan wrote: »
    You must be drunk. :)

This is Man United you are talking about. Most likely it'll be on and off for the next 4 months with the usual scramble for signings in the last week of the window. Expect him to be part of the transfer deadline day stories.
    That's only in the last few years though - remember when we used be incredibly boring in the transfer market under SAF with everything done within 3-4 weeks of seasons end. Tbh id love if we went boring and had our business done within a few weeks of the PL ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gabriel Heinze, a player who was a fan favourite. Then he wins a League Medal at Old Trafford and decides to screw it all up by wanting to move to Liverpool and then to top it all off he leaves the season United win the CL and League double.

I say he must bang his head against the wall from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I think first and foremost we need to nail Big Dave down to a long contract asap!
    Don't want another drawn out will he/won't he saga DON'T DO IT TO ME DAVE.

I do see De Gea leaving at some point, but I do hope he stays for another 2-3 seasons anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

maybe van gaal is more interested in a player who is good at defending and good positionally rather that a defender who can cross the ball? I have been very impressed with how he has transformed his game into right back, still frustrating he doesn't use his left foot but not as rash as Rafael and I don't see the point spending 15m+ on a right back when Mcnair, jones, Rafael and Valencia can all play there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I say he must bang his head against the wall from time to time.

Evra had taken his spot though, so he still had ambitions to play first team football - can't really criticise a guy for that.

And why should he give a fnck if United fans think he's a cnut for wanting to join Pool? He's not from Manchester, or even England, so that means zilch to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    maybe van gaal is more interested in a player who is good at defending and good positionally rather that a defender who can cross the ball? I have been very impressed with how he has transformed his game into right back, still frustrating he doesn't use his left foot but not as rash as Rafael and I don't see the point spending 15m+ on a right back when Mcnair, jones, Rafael and Valencia can all play there

McNair and Jones are not good right backs.

He clearly has no faith at all in Rafael.

Valencia is 'ok' at best.

If we aspire to be a top side competing for the CL, right back is one of the positions we need to improve.

RB, CM, CB and attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Only disclaimer with that would be figures in Dutch league can be unrealistic with the likes of Afonso Alves, Kezman and Luuk De Jong examples. Depay is good but no way he'll get 20 goals for us next year!

Grant Holt, Marcus Stewart and Andy Johnson all scored around 20 odd goals in a season in the Premier League - and were championship level strikers. Point is you can pick and choose players in every league at different times that moved and failed. I'd prefer to look at the success that Ruud, Huntelaar, Suarez and Robben have had elsewhere or more than that, take every example on it's own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Valencia is not particularly good at defending. He has done well to adapt to a new position, I agree with that, but he is still a second rate full-back all things considered.

• Advertisement

Grant Holt, Marcus Stewart and Andy Johnson all scored around 20 odd goals in a season in the Premier League - and were championship level strikers. Point is you can pick and choose players in every league at different times that moved and failed. I'd prefer to look at the success that Ruud, Huntelaar, Suarez and Robben have had elsewhere or more than that, take every example on it's own merits.
    Oh I wasnt stating it as Depay is crap he definitely isnt but he is not a striker but mostly a winger. I simply meant that probability is those stats can be slightly deflated. I could see him getting 10 but 20 is bridge too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

https://twitter.com/footballfunnys/status/590148958837702657

When you take away Fellaini's hair the resemblance is uncanny

bald_fellaini_71664.jpg

Long story short

Fellaini = Zidane

https://twitter.com/footballfunnys/status/590148958837702657

bald_fellaini_71664.jpg

Long story short

Fellaini = Zidane
    Jesus hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Fellaini looks like an absolute monster without hair. Shave it off, Mar!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Fellaini looks like an absolute monster without hair. Shave it off, Mar!

His poor head would be frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Sami Khedira on a free this year. Could he be an option for midfield? Even allowing for his dodgy knee, surely he would be worth a punt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hurler85 wrote: »
    Even allowing for his dodgy knee, surely he would be worth a punt?

Is that what they said when Falcao was available?

Is that what they said when Falcao was available?

I thought that was what they said for Hargreaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No dodgy knees please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm not even joking when I say this but Brian Kerr was right in the World cup last year. Fellaini gets taken a lot less seriously because of his hair.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm not even joking when I say this but Brian Kerr was right in the World cup last year. Fellaini gets taken a lot less seriously because of his hair.

What's David Luiz's excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What's David Luiz's excuse?

who takes him seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Steven Gerrard's birthday falls on the same day as the FA cup final. What a fitting send-off it would be if someone could get him a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Bangkok if fellaini cut his hair would you like him more? :p

who takes him seriously?

Well being the world's most expensive defender lends an air of credibility to your abilities (whether misplaced or otherwise).

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Bangkok if fellaini cut his hair would you like him more? :p

he is what he is, with long or short hair, effective in the air, does a job for the team, a good outlet, good chest control, but when the ball is at his feet he is meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So if i can grasp what your saying your happy with an average rb in Valencia who has been at best decent.

Yet in your option Fellaini who has been a big part of our recent form is not good enough.

You constantly criticse Fellaini as not good enough yet are happy with an average rb bit of a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I do see De Gea leaving at some point, but I do hope he stays for another 2-3 seasons anyway.
    I think he may be gone come August :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

bald_fellaini_71664.jpg

Long story short

Fellaini = Zidane

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

he is what he is, with long or short hair, effective in the air, does a job for the team, a good outlet, good chest control, but when the ball is at his feet he is meh

You probably have said this numerous times but do you want him gone or you only want him as a squad player? ( sub appearances and cup starts)

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    You probably have said this numerous times but do you want him gone or you only want him as a squad player? ( sub appearances and cup starts)

I said it before, but if you want to push on and challenge for league and champions league fellaini will not be in starting 11. good squad option alright

Nuts102 wrote: »
    So if i can grasp what your saying your happy with an average rb in Valencia who has been at best decent.

Yet in your option Fellaini who has been a big part of our recent form is not good enough.

You constantly criticse Fellaini as not good enough yet are happy with an average rb bit of a contradiction.

I don't get where you say I constantly criticise fellaini as I don't. I said he does a job he is asked but lacks overall quality.

I think that is a fair assessment of him

thelad95 wrote: »
    Steven Gerrard's birthday falls on the same day as the FA cup final. What a fitting send-off it would be if someone could get him a ticket.

11018594_828748523828711_7953025337236606455_n.jpg?oh=a7ba52cb2e83088ab7aef6e54fda999b&oe=55DCF795

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Exactly a year ago today, Everton beat Man United, and 2 days after the game David Moyes was sacked. Only thing i remember from that game was the image in the link.

http://i.imgur.com/vf1criW.jpg

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Exactly a year ago today, Everton beat Man United, and 2 days after the game David Moyes was sacked. Only thing i remember from that game was the image in the link.

http://i.imgur.com/vf1criW.jpg

wasn't that some sad paddy power pr stunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

wasn't that some sad paddy power pr stunt?

I don't remember if it was. I'm sure a lot of people got a chuckle from it.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I don't remember if it was. I'm sure a lot of people got a chuckle from it.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/04/20/how-paddy-power-marked-a-grim-season-for-david-moyes-and-manchester-united/

And our next game is against Everton,time to smash them. #revengeformoyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't get where you say I constantly criticise fellaini as I don't. I said he does a job he is asked but lacks overall quality.

I think that is a fair assessment of him

Yet you are happy to see Valencia stay at rb despite him offering far less to the side.

I actually started a new job the day Moyes got sacked. Remember all the texts about him gone before I went into work was more concerned about it becoming official then worrying about new job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement