Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Yet you are happy to see Valencia stay at rb despite him offering far less to the side.

no im not happy but like I said earlier he is solid this season and if we are spending big money I would rather see it spent first of all on a central defender, a midfielder, a winger and a striker. a right back would be down my list of wishes.

For the type of game van gaal seems to be setting us up for we will be going into most games dominating possession (71% v Chelsea away) and don't really see the need to spend 15+ on a player for RB just yet as he wont have much defending to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Lol at sky stats
    Lol at valencia being a good RB

Yes please Depay
    Yes please 4 signings

bangkok wrote: »
    he is what he is, with long or short hair, effective in the air, does a job for the team, a good outlet, good chest control, but when the ball is at his feet he is meh

We're getting there, so close, we'll make a FellAiNi out of you yet!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

no im not happy but like I said earlier he is solid this season and if we are spending big money I would rather see it spent first of all on a central defender, a midfielder, a winger and a striker. a right back would be down my list of wishes.

For the type of game van gaal seems to be setting us up for we will be going into most games dominating possession (71% v Chelsea away) and don't really see the need to spend 15+ on a player for RB just yet as he wont have much defending to do...

I disagree with him being solid tbh, and find that there seems to be a weird overlooking of how much of a weak link he's been.

In the last two games, 2 goals have come down from a right side he failed to protect, as he was after bombing forward and only sauntering back. He's far too prone to leaving the central defenders needing to come out of their position to cover his.

Going forward, he offers little as well. We need a right back who is capable of picking out good passes and who can offer a creative outlet, especially in a game we're dominating. There's no point dominating if no one can do something creative with the ball.

I'd agree with (I think it was) Mitch's analysis; CB, RB, CM and an attacker. Those four positions all need to be addressed this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd always be up for a laugh at Utd's expense but I thought paddy power sank to a new low in their stunts last year. Really put me off using them.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I disagree with him being solid tbh, and find that there seems to be a weird overlooking of how much of a weak link he's been.

In the last two games, 2 goals have come down from a right side he failed to protect, as he was after bombing forward and only sauntering back. He's far too prone to leaving the central defenders needing to come out of their position to cover his.

Going forward, he offers little as well. We need a right back who is capable of picking out good passes and who can offer a creative outlet, especially in a game we're dominating. There's no point dominating if no one can do something creative with the ball.

I'd agree with (I think it was) Mitch's analysis; CB, RB, CM and an attacker. Those four positions all need to be addressed this summer.

the goal hazard got on Saturday had nothing to do with Valencia, he was in the correct position. First of all it was a foul by terry on falcao and then Herrera let hazard run past him and he was caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Exactly a year ago today, Everton beat Man United, and 2 days after the game David Moyes was sacked. Only thing i remember from that game was the image in the link.

http://i.imgur.com/vf1criW.jpg

What a difference 1 year makes in football. Liverpool and City were at the top, Arsenal mocked, everyone laughed at United expense. Year later Liverpool are 5th, City's squad looks done, Arsenal are flying high and ManUtd are playing good football and not afraid to play the game in tough away grounds.

On top of that Martinez was a genius now he is criticized, Liverpool fans mocked Moyes with their stupid banners and hailed Rodgers as a genius and now few want him out.

the goal hazard got on Saturday had nothing to do with Valencia, he was in the correct position. First of all it was a foul by terry on falcao and then Herrera let hazard run past him and he was caught out

I checked the videos again there. Val is walking back when Hazard breaks past Herrera. Herrera can't catch him, Val is at that stage right beside Hazard. When Hazard gets a step ahead of Valencia, he stops and puts the hands on the hips, watching as Hazard keeps going and scores.

There's plenty of blame to go round, but it's a goal that came from the area Valencia was meant to be covering as defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What a difference 1 year makes in football. Liverpool and City were at the top, Arsenal mocked, everyone laughed at United expense. Year later Liverpool are 5th, City's squad looks done, Arsenal are flying high and ManUtd are playing good football and not afraid to play the game in tough away grounds.

On top of that Martinez was a genius now he is criticized, Liverpool fans mocked Moyes with their stupid banners and hailed Rodgers as a genius and now few want him out.

The life of a football fan is very fickle.

To be honest, I think a lot of United fans needed to experience a proper rough patch. You can start taking things for granted.

• Advertisement

I checked the videos again there. Val is walking back when Hazard breaks past Herrera. Herrera can't catch him, Val is at that stage right beside Hazard. When Hazard gets a step ahead of Valencia, he stops and puts the hands on the hips, watching as Hazard keeps going and scores.

There's plenty of blame to go round, but it's a goal that came from the area Valencia was meant to be covering as defender.

he is def not walking back, im looking at the video right now. absolutely nothing Valencia could do about it. in fairness to Chelsea it was a great goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

he is def not walking back, im looking at the video right now. absolutely nothing Valencia could do about it. in fairness to Chelsea it was a great goal

From what I saw of it Valencia stopped as Hazard broke past him and just gave up saying I'm not catching that..
    That's patently not good enough for me...
    Thanks but no thanks..
    You give your all for the jersey or you can FRO..

NO doubt it was a well worked goal by Chelsea but we certainly aided and abated them with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The life of a football fan is very fickle.

To be honest, I think a lot of United fans needed to experience a proper rough patch. You can start taking things for granted.

Yeah and it also makes any trophy won even sweeter. We were so used to winning leagues, it was a norm but now it would be celebrated more than any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

brinty wrote: »
    From what I saw of it Valencia stopped as Hazard broke past him and just gave up saying I'm not catching that..
    Thanks but no thanks..

NO doubt it was a well worked goal by Chelsea but we certainly aided and abated them with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Putting it all into perspective -

"Louis van Gaal and his players received a warm welcome from some passionate United fans today during a Manchester United Foundation 'Dream Day' for children and adults with life-limiting diseases"

10952451_10152910570452746_6113225119794132789_n.jpg?oh=e7cdc3476905c7a6e4692964b005223c&oe=55E41AFA

11149429_10152910538957746_234514686641769049_n.jpg?oh=7eb54e7b32657cf64476ef9e27a47def&oe=55A79D64

10659284_10152910539062746_2588754044027023581_n.jpg?oh=9e65c729a4182efa7dc4e5f6c161db65&oe=55A8BA6E

11146200_10152910538432746_8976425018171625554_n.jpg?oh=b3e52a91828c1856ffb6a2e65885cf44&oe=55A5904D&__gda__=1440248644_9215d928d6af68123a2f7265ed597b2e

brinty wrote: »
    Thanks but no thanks..

But he wasn't catching him. Hazard was in on goal 8 yards out. No one was catching him, not even superman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

U21s tonight
    Van Persie, Wilson, Evans, Januzaj and Rafael named in strong United U21s squad at Leicester

Robin van Persie, James Wilson, Adnan Januzaj, Rafael and Jonny Evans have all been included in the Manchester United squad for tonight's Under-21 fixture at Leicester City (kick-off 19:00 BST).

Rafael, van Persie and Januzaj were among the substitutes for Saturday's Barclays Premier League defeat to Chelsea, with the latter coming on as a 70th-minute replacement for Juan Mata. Van Persie has yet to make his comeback from the ankle injury he sustained during February's clash with Swansea City.

Louis van Gaal has maintained that his first-team stars need match rhythm after a spell on the sidelines and van Persie will hope to prove his fitness ahead of Sunday's trip to Everton. The game could also give Jonny Evans his first run-out since Newcastle away on 4 March, following his six-match suspension.

United Under-21s squad: Rafael, Jonny Evans, Robin van Persie, Adnan Januzaj, James Wilson, Tyler Blackett, Ben Amos, Andy Kellett, Joel Pereira, Liam Grimshaw, Sean Goss, Donald Love, Tom Thorpe, Joe Rothwell, James Weir, Matthew Willock, Ashley Fletcher, Sadiq El Fitouri, Josh Harrop.

The starting line-up will be confirmed on Twitter (@ManUtd) closer to kick-off as Warren Joyce's title-chasers look to extend the lead at the top of the Barclays Under-21 Premier League and avenge the home loss to the Foxes in early November. The match is exclusively live on MUTV with coverage starting at 18:30 BST. Another full broadcast of the game will begin at 22:00 BST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Herrera was the main culprit for the goal imo.

Had a very good game but should have been cuter when Hazard ran at him.

Yea if anyone it was his fault but wouldn't blame anyone for it, hazard is the quickest player or one of in the world over 10 yards he wasn't getting caught. Just have to admire the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. A goal can always be stopped if you analyse it from several perspectives but I think it's easy to get caught up in positional errors or a foul on the halfway line. Sometimes it's just good attacking play and you have to recognise that as part of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement

Is the game watchable? Near enough first team so might be worth checking out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What channel Is it on? mutv? or do I have to "find" the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

u21's game is on MUTV only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Hococop wrote: »
    What channel Is it on? mutv? or do I have to "find" the channel

MUTV only I think

No idea but they're 1-0 down and Januzaj is firing into row Z :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I blame Carrick, if he wasn't out injured he would of had him :)
    but seriously I think Saturdays game showed us how badly we need someone in carricks position, Carrick ain't bad but his injuries are only gonna get more frequent next season and I don't think blind will be defensively strong enough to take over that position. He is going to be better off fighting with Shaw at left back.

No idea but they're 1-0 down and Januzaj is firing into row Z :o

1-1 Goss,RVP with the assist

1-1. Van Persie assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

1-1. Van Persie assist.

Thank god for that. Now please god they get the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Jesus, how times change. If you'd said in the summer of 2012 when Falcao and RVP were the hottest strikers in Europe that in 2015 they would be playing for the Manchester United U-21s...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Is it possible to get a live commentary even text commentary anywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

thelad95 wrote: »
    Jesus, how times change. If you'd said in the summer of 2012 when Falcao and RVP were the hottest strikers in Europe that in 2015 they would be playing for the Manchester United U-21s...
    If a player needs minutes on the pitch then they will play for the under 21's. It means absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just put on the match,a fella that came into my head was Ben Pearson,how is he getting on with his loan spell? Watched him a few times last year,very tidy footballer

And Rafael is down injured

Rafael off injured,suspected broken rib

That ends Rafaels United career anyway so.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Goodbye Raf, we hardly knew yee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Adnan gone off now injured

RVP next so

• Advertisement

The Chelsea goal on Saturday was very nice indeed, but never should have happened. Falcao was 100% fouled in the incident that sparked the move for the goal. Terry definitely 'Lex Lugered' Falcao in the back of the head/neck to gain possession, and most of our players were caught badly out of position as a result. To be fair, Chelsea actually ripped our lads apart for the goal.

Personally, I'd go back even further than the Terry 'interception' in the search to attribute blame. Chris Smalling's ball out from defence was not a good one, and he had at least 2 far safer options going than the pass to an under-pressure Falcao. Also, I reckon DDG should have come out to meet Hazard a moment or two sooner; Not enough to allow Hazard room to take it around him, but at least try to make the goals narrower. I remember at the time saying out loud "Come out t'fúck Dave will ya!" But sure even at that, Hazard probably still would have found the net.

Anyway, we can continue trying to assign blame to an individual but sometimes no matter what you do, a bit of excellence (spurned by a bit of foul play) will creep through in games against good opposition, especially if they have the best outfield player in the league as their main goal threat. That back heel from Oscar split us open, Hazard was away, our lads weren't able to respond quickly enough to it given the disarray of the shape and momentary confusion over who should be chasing whom. A moment is all it took to give Hazard the yard he needed and once he got it, we all knew what was coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Well lads, i hope you're all having a wonderful evening. Just a quick question....i clicked on a ridiculous clickbait site a few minutes ago and it was saying that PSV have given permission to Liverpool and PSG to speak to Depay but United still havent made an offer. Is there any chance this is true? I thought he was pretty much confirmed to United in the summer.

Well lads, i hope you're all having a wonderful evening. Just a quick question....i clicked on a ridiculous clickbait site a few minutes ago and it was saying that PSV have given permission to Liverpool and PSG to speak to Depay but United still havent made an offer. Is there any chance this is true? I thought he was pretty much confirmed to United in the summer.

I've not seen Depay linked with Liverpool at all. Some talk says PSG are interested, but nearly everyone is reporting that United have already made inroads into the signing, Depay wants to come, and it's nearly a done deal...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I've not seen Depay linked with Liverpool at all. Some talk says PSG are interested, but nearly everyone is reporting that United have already made inroads into the signing, Depay wants to come, and it's nearly a done deal...

Thats what i was expecting, he was linked last summer alright but it all went quiet once LVG took the United job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Exactly a year ago today, Everton beat Man United, and 2 days after the game David Moyes was sacked. Only thing i remember from that game was the image in the link.

http://i.imgur.com/vf1criW.jpg

I hate that image. A really shitty thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It's all about extracting every pound now for PSV so let anyone that wants to talk to him talk to him. It's that simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

So click baits have reached the quota where the news Depay will sign for united aint getting hits, hmmm how will we get more clicks o ya lets say liverpool are signing him that will get the united fans clicking and we have a story.

Journalist used to report the news now they make **** up..

Id tell people to stop clicking but i think the world has gone too far.

Bring on the next, ice age meteor strike the world is ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

According to the usual United ITK Depay is as good as done. Fee agreed, personal terms pretty much sorted out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all of our transfer activity done in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bayern Munich said to be interested in signing Depay but United remain clear favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

RobertKK wrote: »
    Bayern Munich said to be interested in signing Depay but United remain clear favourites.

Well considering Robben and Ribery's age you would think that they would be in the market for a winger but obviously their style of play doesn't suit a Depay. Although Bayern probably have the next half decade of league titles wrapped up so if he just wants a trophy haul then there won't be much beating Bayern.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement