Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jones, Evans, Young and De Gea the players left with a year on their contracts.

Would imagine Jones, Young and Evans would all be tied up easily enough should we want to keep them (Jones and Young will sign new deals very soon I reckon).

Can see Evans being allowed to run it down and leave, with a CB or two coming in during the summer window.

Just don't see De Gea staying - and I really worry who we are going to try to replace him with.

Valdez I'd imagine as he must have been given some sort of reassurances when he signed a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dahat wrote: »
    Valdez I'd imagine as he must have been given some sort of reassurances when he signed a deal.

And that is my fear. I don't think he is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

bangkok wrote: »
    we are short in that area already and you would like to see them go? not a chance either will be sold

If we can get a defender like hummels or laporte in this summer, then we are loaded with them plus smalling, rojo, mcnair and blind can also play. Just need one cb and we are loaded. Would be stupid imo if we brought in a cb this summer and didn't offload evans and jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And that is my fear. I don't think he is good enough.

Hard to know what he has left in him so likely a second keeper at best hopefully.

I'd hope if De Gea goes we would try Spurs for Lloris, better than most available and gettable with CL football on offer hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dahat wrote: »
    Hard to know what he has left in him so likely a second keeper at best hopefully.

I'd hope if De Gea goes we would try Spurs for Lloris, better than most available and gettable with CL football on offer hopefully.
    Lloris, Handanovic one to look at too.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    we are short in that area already and you would like to see them go? not a chance either will be sold

I can see Evans moving on if he can't step it up. He's looked very nervous this season. I felt he was our third best defender between himself, Smalling and Jones. Rojo is also better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can see Evans moving on if he can't step it up. He's looked very nervous this season. I felt he was our third best defender between himself, Smalling and Jones. Rojo is also better than him.

In the 2 or 3 games before his ban Evans was great. Smalling has improved but still at times his positioning is a bit kamikaze. I think he is the worst in that aspect of the 4 defenders, 3rd in terms of on the ball ability and 2nd in terms of physicality. As Johnathan Wilson said on second captains yesterday, smalling looks like someone who can pass the ball now and that is something he's improved on immeasurably but like with Young, if he's seen as more than a squad player for the future then I'd still be worried.

I think a CB group of Laporte/Hummels and the 4 at the club with McNair and Blackett as backup is sufficient which wasn't the case a few months ago so that's something anyway. 3 of them being homegrown is also a big bonus to the squad, if you look at City, Arsenal and Liverpool that's not the case and Chelsea's HG defenders are aging so with one signing and avoiding the horrible luck like at the start of this season it should be good. RB is more of a worry for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't know why, but I have absolutely zero concerns over De Gea what so ever.

I think it based on both a combination of previous comments from De Gea's camp that he is happy at United, turned into a top goalkeeper at the club, and how playing for Real Madrid would be unlikely for him.

Also, there is very little being made of it in the back pages. The odd little bit here and there. When you consider the Sterling and Liverpool situation, United are always a top story, and loosing one of their best players should be a big deal. But there is little to nothing really going on, on either end's media.

Pretty confident new deal will be struck, might just be one of those things that's been organised at seasons end or something. Wouldn't be bad PR either, if the above, was the start of a contract reveal each week (with players like Young, Jones etc) following week after week with De Gea being the last, to have fans on a "high" ahead of the window opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Out of Jones, Rojo, Evans, Smalling, Mcnair and Blackett, I would only keep Smalling and Rojo.

Get rid of Evan and Jones, send Blackett out on loan, bring in hummels/laporte and that should be sufficient for next season. Four CBs is more than enough. If needed, carrick or blind can fill in at CB

Hurler85 wrote: »
    Get rid of Evan and Jones, send Blackett out on loan, bring in hummels/laporte and that should be sufficient for next season. Four CBs is more than enough. If needed, carrick or blind can fill in at CB

Yep, worked fantastically well this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I have absolutely zero concerns over De Gea what so ever.

I wasn't concerned until recently and now I'm bricking it. The closer it gets to summer, the more worried I become.

It's impossible to know what's going on though, we just have no information. Has he been offered contracts and rejected them in the hopes of a move to Madrid? Has he not been offered anything because the club are waiting until summer (for some inexplicable reason)? Has he decided to wait until he's certain the club are in the CL next season? Something else I haven't thought of?

It's gotten worrying at this stage though - no news, in this case, is bad news imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wut?

That's a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This is one of the most idiotic things I've read in here in a long time.

Smalling + New CB is looking like the go-to pairing. That leaves Jones/Evans/Rojo/McNair/Blackett

We assume Evans and Jones are done and dusted, leaving Rojo/McNair/Blackett. Of those three, one could be sent on loan, ideally Blackett as he looks the most raw. Alternatively, he can continue in the U21s. Last thing we want is Blind/Carrick shoe-horned in to CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's no point having a load of guys who are never fit as your back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I've nothing but confidence on De Gea signing a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Why would we get rid of Jones. Hes only 22 or 23 plenty of time or him to develop. He will be top class yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also worth noting De Gea has gone through another season of strong development, this season under Hoek. The type of development players rarely have at Madrid. His positioning and anticipation is a lot stronger, and the sweeper role is something more evident in his game lately, which will be really important if the team is moving to this high pressing.

That might be something he factors in hopefully. I think the best chance of him usurping Cassilles at present is him playing for United, allowing Cassilles to continue playing and being wretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's no point having a load of guys who are never fit as your back up.

if that's the case who is going to sign them ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I've nothing but confidence on De Gea signing a new contract.

I'm hopeful it's the same a Vidic back in 2010 when every paper had him gone to Madrid for months before he signed a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder if we will buy Laporte and Hummels with just Evans being sold.

It was in the Guardian last month or so that LVG wants two players who can play centre backs.

Hummels would be ideal as you could play Smalling plus one of the new signings while Hummels is very capable of playing the Carrick role. It is quite possible that LVG wants Hummels for defensive midfield, given Hummels has played that position in the past.

We need more options in the defensive positions as we will have far more games to play and we can't afford the defensive injuries we had this season which gave us a slow start.
    I can't see LVG taking the risk with just signing one player who can play centre back and selling on Evans.

There should be enough games for everyone, given there will be far more games and there will be injuries and suspensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Depay would really be great to get in and hopefully get Wilson and Janjuaz good loans. Janjuaz needs games and confidence he showed last year he has talent but needs a run of games.

Hopefully in two years down the line we will see Depay and Janjuaz playing off Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Depay would really be great to get in and hopefully get Wilson and Janjuaz good loans. Janjuaz needs games and confidence he showed last year he has talent but needs a run of games.

Hopefully in two years down the line we will see Depay and Janjuaz playing off Wilson.

Good player, that Janjuaz.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I wonder if we will buy Laporte and Hummels with just Evans being sold.

It was in the Guardian last month or so that LVG wants two players who can play centre backs.

Hummels would be ideal as you could play Smalling plus one of the new signings while Hummels is very capable of playing the Carrick role. It is quite possible that LVG wants Hummels for defensive midfield, given Hummels has played that position in the past.

We need more options in the defensive positions as we will have far more games to play and we can't afford the defensive injuries we had this season which gave us a slow start.
    I can't see LVG taking the risk with just signing one player who can play centre back and selling on Evans.

There should be enough games for everyone, given there will be far more games and there will be injuries and suspensions.

Hummels, Smalling, Rojo, Evans, Jones, McNair is more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This is one of the most idiotic things I've read in here in a long time.

Smalling + New CB is looking like the go-to pairing. That leaves Jones/Evans/Rojo/McNair/Blackett

We assume Evans and Jones are done and dusted, leaving Rojo/McNair/Blackett. Of those three, one could be sent on loan, ideally Blackett as he looks the most raw. Alternatively, he can continue in the U21s. Last thing we want is Blind/Carrick shoe-horned in to CB.

my apologies if I was unclear but Smalling/New CB/Rojo/McNair is what I was getting at for next year. Blackett to go out on loan as he needs it.

Its been a long day:rolleyes:

my apologies if I was unclear but Smalling/New CB/Rojo/McNair is what I was getting at for next year. Blackett to go out on loan as he needs it.

Its been a long day:rolleyes:

Still as ridiculous now as when you said it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ditch Evans, I see no point in keeping him considering he's not even good enough for our bench with everyone fit and he'll be 28 next season.

Laporte is 20, entering the last year of his contract at Bilbao and has the potential to become even better than he already is.
    If we could pull such a transfer off it really is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I wasn't concerned until recently and now I'm bricking it. The closer it gets to summer, the more worried I become.

It's impossible to know what's going on though, we just have no information. Has he been offered contracts and rejected them in the hopes of a move to Madrid? Has he not been offered anything because the club are waiting until summer (for some inexplicable reason)? Has he decided to wait until he's certain the club are in the CL next season? Something else I haven't thought of?

It's gotten worrying at this stage though - no news, in this case, is bad news imo.

I still think it's dependant on United getting CL football. The deal is probably all agreed and sitting on his coffee table. Once 4th is mathamatically sown up, he'll sign. If we don't make the top 4, then it may well be adios. Idon't think he'll stay for Europa football.

A win aginst Everton will really put one hand on 4th place. assuming Liverpool win on Sat and their game in hand, they would still be 5 behind with 4 games to go ( 6 really with the current +17 better goal difference).

I think Evans is moved on this summer and it will be someone like Laporte to replace him, rather than Hummels who seems to be coming this summer.

Hummels with his excellent ball distribution is moved into the Carrick position. I think this might be what LVG wants, and lets presume De Gea stays, we would have a very solid base to build attack and Hummels would offer both an aerial threat with corners both offensively and defensively.
    I really believe Hummels has the game to play there and to be very effective in controlling the play and to be creative with the play.

So if you remove Hummels and Evans from that list you would only have four first team CBs, with Hummels bringing the versatility and that is why two players who can play centre back could be bought.
    One to play centre back, the other who is versatile but more than capable of playing the Carrick role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

#mufc are keeping an eye on Joae Cancelo (On loan at Valencia from Benfica). [via @GuillemBalague]

Never heard of him...

• Advertisement

I think Evans is moved on this summer and it will be someone like Laporte to replace him, rather than Hummels who seems to be coming this summer.

Hummels with his excellent ball distribution is moved into the Carrick position. I think this might be what LVG wants, and lets presume De Gea stays, we would have a very solid base to build attack and Hummels would offer both an aerial threat with corners both offensively and defensively.
    I really believe Hummels has the game to play there and to be very effective in controlling the play and to be creative with the play.

So if you remove Hummels and Evans from that list you would only have four first team CBs, with Hummels bringing the versatility and that is why two players who can play centre back could be bought.
    One to play centre back, the other who is versatile but more than capable of playing the Carrick role.

You think we should sign a world class cb and play him as a holding midfielder?

Rather sign a cb and a holding midfielder.

In the 12 PL games Evans has played more than 45 minutes in this season United have conceded 5 goals and kept 7 clean sheets.

But sure let's focus on a few times when the whole team looked shaky at the start of the season and forget that he is better on the ball too than Smalling and Jones. He has been one of the most unfairly maligned players on the team this season imo and the team have defended far better with him in the team than without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jones is the CB ye should be moving on, he's very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liam O wrote: »
    In the 12 PL games Evans has played more than 45 minutes in this season United have conceded 5 goals and kept 7 clean sheets.

But sure let's focus on a few times when the whole team looked shaky at the start of the season and forget that he is better on the ball too than Smalling and Jones. He has been one of the most unfairly maligned players on the team this season imo and the team have defended far better with him in the team than without.
    Evans regularly gets bullied by big strikers. Benteke, Drogba, Carlton Cole, Giroud have all given him problems off the top of my head.

Put it this way. We are going to be in the CL next year, most likely. If we come up against one of the high end teams like Barca, Bayern, PSG etc, would you feel comfortable with Jonny Evans at CB? He is a grand player and will put the effort in, but he simply is not top class. Smalling looks the nost likely to step up to that level of the current CBs but we absolutely should be buying one, possibly two, more centre backs. This would leave very little room for a 27 year old who is a way below the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

rob316 wrote: »
    Evans first. He should be at his peak given his age and I don't trust him an iota. Poor injury record, and in his last two seasons, performances haven't been good enough. He just doesn't look like a senior player. Jones has until the New Year from the start of next season.

You think we should sign a world class cb and play him as a holding midfielder?

Rather sign a cb and a holding midfielder.

Some players have the quality to play at more than one position.
    Bayern Munich and Germany play a world class right back in a defensive midfield role.
    Fact is Hummels has played that role too, he is more than a centre back.
    Remember when Fergie played Jones in that role?
    Thing is Hummels is infinitely more suited to that position than Jones ever was, and has the game to be better than Carrick who has been vital for us this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can't we just play Reus in midfield and be done with it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

McNair really impressed me vs Chelsea. I know we had so much possession he didn't have to do all that much defending, but on the ball I thought he was excellent. Smalling has improved but he still gives me several minor heart attacks per game with his clumsiness, same with Jones. I would get rid of Evans, replace him with a top class CB and then Rojo/Smalling/Jones to form a partnership with the new CB. I'd probably go with Rojo right now. I'd like to see McNair and Blackett get more game time at CB next season, which probably means loaning at least one out.

Evans regularly gets bullied by big strikers. Benteke, Drogba, Carlton Cole, Giroud have all given him problems off the top of my head.

Put it this way. We are going to be in the CL next year, most likely. If we come up against one of the high end teams like Barca, Bayern, PSG etc, would you feel comfortable with Jonny Evans at CB? He is a grand player and will put the effort in, but he simply is not top class. Smalling looks the nost likely to step up to that level of the current CBs but we absolutely should be buying one, possibly two, more centre backs. This would leave very little room for a 27 year old who is a way below the top level.

You'd swear those strikers gave no other defenders trouble before :pac:

As for the question, horses for courses. I'd feel better with Jones up against Ibrahimovic than Smalling or Evans for instance but wouldn't have him near the field against Barcelona. Fwiw I think Smalling would be the best against Bayern so there you go :pac:. Someone is going to be signed and he and Rojo should be first choice without a doubt. Smalling, Jones and Evans should be able to come in when needed and I think they're grand as the backup. Evans is a better footballer than Smalling or Jones and I'd rate him as a better leader too being more vocal than the other 2. Like I also said earlier it makes sense to keep all 3 for homegrown statuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

rob316 wrote: »

Phil Jones is 23. There aren't many 23 year old center halves ad good as him. Most centre halves don't reach their prime until 26 -28 years old. There aren't many centre halves better than him in the EPL imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Smalling is a better CB than Rojo IMO. In fact I prefer Rojo at LB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Evans is a great squad player that won't be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Don't really see the point in signing a defender to play in midfield. Why not just sign a midfielder?

Plus, would Hummels have the creative eye for a pass that Carrick has? (Genuinely asking there, haven't seen a lot of Hummels outside of World Cup and Champions League)

Some players have the quality to play at more than one position.
    Bayern Munich and Germany play a world class right back in a defensive midfield role.
    Fact is Hummels has played that role too, he is more than a centre back.
    Remember when Fergie played Jones in that role?
    Thing is Hummels is infinitely more suited to that position than Jones ever was, and has the game to be better than Carrick who has been vital for us this year.

How many games have you seen Hummels play anywhere besides cb. Your point is laughable really no matter how good Hummels is we can get far better holding midfielders. If we sign Hummells we play him where he has proved to be world class.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Phil Jones is 23. There aren't many 23 year old center halves ad good as him. Most centre halves don't reach their prime until 26 -28 years old. There aren't many centre halves better than him in the EPL imo

Jones is injury prone and error prone and not yet as good as Evans. It seems a few poor games for Evans and people forget how good he has been in the past.

Evans at 23 was better than Jones and Evans at 28 is better than Jones. I have not seen anything from Jones to prove he is going to turn into a great cb.

The only cb who has impressed me this year has been Smalling who has improved immensely something Jones has not done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just back from my holidays, in Thailand. Great month for UTD and great wins that will set the team up for next season. Even the lose against chelsea was a good performance and the result was the least important because we all knew it would be impossible to win with Rooney as a DM.

And without sounding like a rival fan:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Put it this way. We are going to be in the CL next year, most likely. If we come up against one of the high end teams like Barca, Bayern, PSG etc, would you feel comfortable with Jonny Evans at CB?

I'd be a damn sight more comfortable with Evans playing than Paddy McNair or Tyler Blackett.

Why the big rush to get rid of people anyway? Its only four days since a raft of defensive injuries messed up our plans for Chelsea, haven't we learned the value of good squad players? Sign some first choice defenders and keep the likes of Evans/Jones, everybody wins!

ETA: Spending tens of millions on a CB so we can play him in midfield would just be ****ing stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just back from my holidays, in Thailand. Great month for UTD and great wins that will set the team up for next season. Even the lose against chelsea was a good performance and the result was the least important because we all knew it would be impossible to win with Rooney as a DM.

And without sounding like a rival fan:

How about you threat yourself to another holiday until end of season :) wouldn't wanna jinx it now ha.

Jones is injury prone and error prone and not yet as good as Evans. It seems a few poor games for Evans and people forget how good he has been in the past.

Evans at 23 was better than Jones and Evans at 28 is better than Jones. I have not seen anything from Jones to prove he is going to turn into a great cb.

The only cb who has impressed me this year has been Smalling who has improved immensely something Jones has not done.

And yet the worst goal conceded to minute ratio has been with Smalling on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lithium93_ wrote: »

We could also win the leauge this season and next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement