Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just because Giggs was seen on camera shouting 'Ander' does not in any way signal that Herrara wasnt doing his job FFS.
    What else could he have been doing?

We know lvg and Giggs will stay sitting until Giggs has to get up and give orders.

Hardly a coincidence he came off at half time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say he lost more than he won, he is terrible in the air, list his first four or five headers ( against coqolin !). Ball into him basically has to be 100 per cent accurate on his chest for him to be effective. Should never be starting for united. Utterly depressing to see us lump balls up to him in the last 10 minutes. Nothing came from any of them.
    Fellaini is terrible in the air now? Jesus Christ...

• What else could he have been doing?

We know lvg and Giggs will stay sitting until Giggs has to get up and give orders.

Herrera was on a yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We have to consider sacking LVG after we finish outside the top 4 and if Klopp/Ancelotti become available we simply have to do it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Herrera was on a yellow

Ah yes. Forgot about that. Was trying to put 2 and 2 and get 5.

It's tough trying to be a conspiracy theorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so frustrating.

valencia at fault for both goals...i said to myself "at least that should be the end of him ever again playing at RB"..

then i am told that LVG said he was the best player in the team.

we set another record tonight by playing Fellaini, Carrick and Blind in the same team - the slowest midfield the clubs ever had and thats saying alot considering that O Shea and Gibson played in there.

anybody know why Shaw and herrera went off? Shaw wasnt playing well, but it wasnt an issue, at least he added some attacking support for Young. herrera going off, disrupted our shape completely and we were awful in the second half.

you are 2-1 down and need a goal, you have a world class striker on the bench, what do you do? put on a winger who has scored 1 goal in 12 months and not created much more.

everybody on here was fapping themselves silly last september when we went off and panicked into signing a heap of players, for a heap of money - tonight showed that despite spending all this cash and pushing our wage bill to over £200m a year, we still are another £150m off being a top class team again. we need to sign 2 defenders, a winger, an attacking midfielder and perhaps a striker...not alot different to what we were saying this time last season is it?

LVG is on a 3 strike rule with me now and to be honest, is down to his last one after the last couple of weeks. we miss out on top 4, which i think is going to happen unless he cops himself on and my support for him is gone. he has brought a huge amount of unnecessary grief onboard this season and tonight just compounded this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12087/9751579/real-madrid-are-seriously-considering-sacking-coach-carlo-ancelotti-says-guillem-balague

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti's inability to get his team functioning properly is likely to cost the Italian his job with the European champions this summer, says Sky Sports' Spanish football expert Guillem Balague...

Let the 2+2=5 games begin......Although I've a feeling he'll be at City next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

spiralism wrote: »
    We have to consider sacking LVG after we finish outside the top 4 and if Klopp/Ancelotti become available we simply have to do it.

This the same Klopp who has his team in the relegation zones?

I love Klopp, but I don't see how you can sack LVG for getting 5th or 6th and replace him with a manager who has his team in the high teens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why do we have to go for Klopp he has a quality side sitting 10th 22 points behind Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fellaini was being Fellaini all night and being an annoying man. So no.
    An annoying man? Surely that is not the standard a Utd player should aspire to? Falcao is supposed to be a natural finisher and known for physically imposing himself on centre backs. Surely that fulfills the criteria of an annoying man?
    But where does Rooney go and how do you address the gaping hole on the right hand side?
    I'm sure somebody of LVG's talent and experience could have found a way to fit Falcao into the side for the remainder of the game; the same Falcao he has championed as world class since his arrival. Or does everyone agree now that he is a shadow of the player he once was?

Homer. Falcao isn't world class right now so it's stupid labelling him as world class making it out as if we had messi on the bench.

You know we had a massive hole on the right yeah? With Sanchez on that side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

kryogen wrote: »
    Fellaini had a good game yeah, over eager toward the end of the game with his challenges but that is to be expected with someone like him. He is a fighter, your separate note reminded me, Arsenal were very lucky not to be down to 10 themselves with Bellerin.

I think Fellaini gets a raw deal from refs if he touches off someone or they run into him and go down its a free but gets little the other way from refs. It most be very frustrating for him.

He is no angel either but he definetly gets a raw deal on a lot of 50/50s cause of his size.

Jaysus,there's more Liverpool fans than Arsenal ones in the match thread now,you'd never know United lost:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fellaini is terrible in the air and played up from for a lot of it.

What the **** are you people on?

Also Falcao doesn't deserve a starting place. He has offered very little. If Utd were creating loads of chances in the box and not putting them away then there may be a case but they aren't, and even then I'm not sure he'd deserve a place.

There is a serious lack of pace in the squad which is a huge issue IMO. Nani gone, Welbeck gone and Hernandez gone. Pace pace and more pace.

Hell I'd even argue at this stage(hindsight and all that) that it would have made more sense to keep Hernandez and not move for Falcao. Neither contribute to general play and are out and out goal scorers. At least Hernandez would offer that option of pace up from to.

I know it sounds bonkers but I do think there's logic to it(again probably in hindsight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What else could he have been doing?

Maybe he wanted to get Carrick on but had to take off a midfielder.... And we all know he has a horn for the dutch players so Blind wasnt coming off. Maybe its because he was on a yeow card and didnt wanna risk him getting a second. Theres probably a few reasons.

But because a few people could lip read Giggs shouting 'Ander' they automatically think oooh hes not doing what hes told, so thats why he was subbed !! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

zerks wrote: »
    Jaysus,there's more Liverpool fans than Arsenal ones in the match thread now,you'd never know United lost:rolleyes:

I hope they get absolutely stuffed. Of course it's only the cup if that were to happen :rolleyes:

while ive been critisising him for most of the season, up until this week i thought it was the right thing to do to keep him on for 3 years minimum.

after tonight and whats been going on lately, im starting to think he is not the right man for the job. the sad thing is, we dont have a whole pile to achieve by giving him the boot - its another expensive pay out, another start from scratch scenario, a bunch of players needing to get the boot and we could still end up finishing this season in 6th place and even further behind the top teams, facing another season out of the CL.

by all intends and purposes, we sack LVG and a new man coming in could even be in a worse spot than we were in after Moyes went.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I hope they get absolutely stuffed. Of course it's only the cup if that were to happen :rolleyes:

Sure,they won the league this time last year.......oh wait:pac:

Fuck it,I need something to cheer me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why do we have to go for Klopp he has a quality side sitting 10th 22 points behind Bayern.

:rolleyes:

Maybe he wanted to get Carrick on but had to take off a midfielder.... And we all know he has a horn for the dutch players so Blind wasnt coming off. Maybe its because he was on a yeow card and didnt wanna risk him getting a second. Theres probably a few reasons.

But because a few people could lip read Giggs shouting 'Ander' they automatically think oooh hes not doing what hes told, so thats why he was subbed !! Lol

I thought you were being sarcastic there with Dutch horn thing.

Then I realised you weren't.

• Advertisement

Sure,they won the league this time last year.......oh wait:pac:

Fuck it,I need something to cheer me up.

We need to set up out own positivity thread

We need to set up out own positivity thread

Beat Spurs on Sunday would be a start.

Shaw was awful. Offered little to nothing going forward and was getting ripped a new one by Ox for the whole half. I can't remember any appearance by him in a Utd shirt where he has been impressive(I do realise he has had injury problems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fellaini had a good game yeah, over eager toward the end of the game with his challenges but that is to be expected with someone like him. He is a fighter, your separate note reminded me, Arsenal were very lucky not to be down to 10 themselves with Bellerin.

I don't think Felliani played poorly as such, the problem is that he offered nothing creatively. He was winning the long balls and that was his job, but nothing was coming from that tactic, nobody was feeding of those balls or benefiting from his efforts, so why did we persist with it all game?

Again and again we come back to the manager, very disruptive changes at half time and then no changes of any note late in the game when we needed inspiration. I don't agree that Falcao was the answer, but if there was an answer we didn't see it from the touchline. Very disappointing yet again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

adox wrote: »
    Shaw was awful. Offered little to nothing going forward and was getting ripped a new one by Ox for the whole half. I can't remember any appearance by him in a Utd shirt where he has been impressive(I do realise he has had injury problems)
    Yeah he has been poor so far, same can be said for all our signings over the summer.

Beat Spurs on Sunday would be a start.

I need to you break all the bells and whistles on that thread.

I thought you were being sarcastic there with Dutch horn thing.

Then I realised you weren't.

Well it made more sense to put Blind at LB instead of Shaw and bring on Carrick. Leaving Herrara in midfield.
    The second half was a disaster.

Well it made more sense to put Blind at LB instead of Shaw and bring on Carrick. Leaving Herrara in midfield.

Shaw who is a hell of a lot faster than Blind was really struggling against the Oxs pace. There is no way putting Blind at LB would have been a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think he's getting a hard time. He's had a few very good games but LVG doesn't wait for players to get match fit so was dropped soon after. Same with Falcao over Christmas, Mata all season and one or two others. I don't think I'd care if he got the sack tbh. Its like he thinks his team at the WC is the way United should play but bar the Spain game it was fairly turgid stuff with some great players reined in.

can anybody confirm if Herrera was injured?

thats the only reason i can see for him being taken off. if LVG took him off tactically and left Blind/Fellaini on, he deserves a kick in the hole.

as you said, if he wanted to take shaw off, put Carrick in there and Blind to LB. Carrick and Blind just doesnt work, its the slowest midfield around and is no coincidence that as soon as the changes were made, our entire attacking threat diminished.

and what on earth was Jones doing trying to take down a long ball with 3 arsenal men around him? head the f*cking thing away for f*ck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When we were down to ten men we needed someone to create chances, we had the finisher on the pitch in Rooney, bringing on Falcao in that situation is a total waste of a substitution tbh, Jan was brought on to stretch the defence, something Mata does not do either. Being critical is one thing, but moaning about everything is a bit much. There was logic to the Januzaj switch and the other two were not unbelievable either.

Except that last substitution was made before Di Maria got sent off. At the time, I was thinking Falcao for Valencia and throw Jones to RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Said it earlier today, today's game would have a huge effect on our top 4 challenge. Well after losing tonighti can't see us making top 4 now. We have to play arsenal again at ot and any mental block they had of beating us will now be surely gone. Di Maria suspended now for at least 1 game. We have zero game plan, our back passes finally caught up with us tonight. Fellaini in a United shirt still hurts me, he is no where near United standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You have been saying we have no chance at top four for a while now actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You have been saying we have no chance at top four for a while now actually.

No I said it would be a Huge struggle, but after that loss tonight, dressing room moral will be at an all time low, added go the fact we have been playing rubbish all season long and we still have to play all the top teams.

Shaw who is a hell of a lot faster than Blind was really struggling against the Oxs pace. There is no way putting Blind at LB would have been a good idea.

If shaw had to come off then that is the choice LVG should have made. Less disruption on the midfield by keeping herrara on and replacing carrick for blind.

He made 2 subs at halftime when he MAY have only needed to make 1. Again my opinion. In reply to homer doubt herrara was injured but i dont know.

titan18 wrote: »
    Except that last substitution was made before Di Maria got sent off. At the time, I was thinking Falcao for Valencia and throw Jones to RB

You are right, Rojo had been booked and was started to look tired/frustrated and liable to be sent off. He was replaced by Jan, Young went to left back and United went to attack the **** out of it, then Di Maria got himself sent off unfortunately

He misses the Spurs game now yes, no way of avoiding that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

can anybody confirm if Herrera was injured?thats the only reason i can see for him being taken off.

Might of been because he was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

If Adnan starts on Sunday I'll flip my shít

Can see him starting with Di Maria banned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

De Gea looked better on the ball than any of our midfielders today. Rember he played one amazing ball down the line in the first half. We should give him a run in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

You could easily name at least 7 players simply not good enough to wear the shirt. To think that we have spent €200 million is depressing, not convinced that LVG is the answer, he does make some mind boggling decisions and team selections. Glaziers must be very unimpressed with the current situation, playing poor football to boot,

So tonight's match has determined whether we finish top four or not?

Gimme a ****ing break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

bangkok wrote: »
    Said it earlier today, today's game would have a huge effect on our top 4 challenge. Well after losing tonighti can't see us making top 4 now.

Ya it was an important 3 points dropped to our rivals in the race for the top 4 only positive is Liverpool drew with Blackburn so they only gained 1 point on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This thing where Fellaini won no ball is rubbish. He won a heck of a lot of ball.

He played well. He was nowhere near United's worst player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

in fairness to fellaini, he was winning ball but had no body around him to pick up the second ball. near the end he took a ball down on his chest and was surorounded by 4 blue jerseys and no united man on the screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

#Meltdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It will be a miracle to get 4th at this stage, the snowball of negatively just keeps increasing. Not looking forward to the fallout at the end of the season if that happens, the last person Van Gaal will blame is himself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

This thing where Fellaini won no ball is rubbish. He won a heck of a lot of ball.

He played well. He was nowhere near United's worst player

He spent the whole night fouling. He is just not a United player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Odd comments in the post match conf to written media, Van Gaal commenting on Falcao's "fantastic return of 4 goals and 3 assists". Unknown if being serious or sarcastic. was questioned why Falcao wasn't brought on when chasing the game, and he started just going on about Falcao and his 4 goals.

The end of that anyway.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Odd comments in the post match conf to written media, Van Gaal commenting on Falcao's "fantastic return of 4 goals and 3 assists". Unknown if being serious or sarcastic. was questioned why Falcao wasn't brought on when chasing the game, and he started just going on about Falcao and his 4 goals.

The end of that anyway.

It was the usual nonsense loaded questions from the press. They were asking him did he regret chosing Falcao over Welbeck because he scored the winner tonight or words to that affect. The usual ****e from those journos.

More worrying was his proclamation that he thought Valencia was Utds best player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement