Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The league is out of the question this season (obviously), next season is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The league is out of the question this season (obviously), next season is a different story.

If we win all our matches and Chelsea and arsenal lose their matches by a load of goals and they draw against each other we could win.

I just hate clickbait articles, which that is, by using the word could it gives too much artistic license and turns into an opinion piece. I would much rather read Bangkok preferring Valencia over Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

paulbok wrote: »
    I still think it's dependant on United getting CL football. The deal is probably all agreed and sitting on his coffee table. Once 4th is mathamatically sown up, he'll sign. If we don't make the top 4, then it may well be adios. Idon't think he'll stay for Europa football.

A win aginst Everton will really put one hand on 4th place. assuming Liverpool win on Sat and their game in hand, they would still be 5 behind with 4 games to go ( 6 really with the current +17 better goal difference).

Here's hoping you're right. He seems too happy at the club to really want to leave, even the little things like him pre-emptively losing his sh*t when he thought Rooney scored at the weekend. But, ultimately, that could all mean nothing.

adox wrote: »
    Smalling is a better CB than Rojo IMO. In fact I prefer Rojo at LB.

At the start of the season I didn't have much love for Smalling. Not that I had anything against him, but I always felt a little nervous with him in the line up.

This has changed. I like him a lot.

On a tangentially related note - McNair needs a loan, but the more I see of him the more I think he could be a serious talent in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

If we win all our matches and Chelsea and arsenal lose their matches by a load of goals and they draw against each other we could win.

I just hate clickbait articles, which that is, by using the word could it gives too much artistic license and turns into an opinion piece. I would much rather read Bangkok preferring Valencia over Fellaini.

Yep, seen today we are offering £48m for Hummels... who comes up this these numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Here's hoping you're right. He seems too happy at the club to really want to leave, even the little things like him pre-emptively losing his sh*t when he thought Rooney scored at the weekend. But, ultimately, that could all mean nothing.

I also did that once as a kid in the game. Was fairly tough to live down, even the parents were slagging me. :P It must be a goalkeeper thing, wanting to feel like you are involved when you haven't touched the ball in twenty minutes.

Just back from my holidays, in Thailand.

18lrvrfb471nxgif.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    And yet the worst goal conceded to minute ratio has been with Smalling on the field.

Yet if you watched United this season it's clear to see Smalling has been by far our best defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From a German publication...
    Easily the most modern defender at Löw's disposal, Hummels could probably try his hand at playing midfield for the right team. The Dortmund defender is comfortable on the ball, boasts an excellent eye for a long pass, and loves to bound forward whenever the opportunity arises. He started out as a striker in Bayern Munich's youth academy. Sometimes, these traits can turn a defender into a liability, but Hummels is the perfect fit as part of Löw's new, bulky back four comprising essentially a quartet of central defenders.

http://www.dw.de/how-the-hummels-hole-nearly-sank-germany/a-17748100

I don't care if people think what I am posting is crazy. I am simply going by what I see when I watch Hummels play.
    I think he would be better than Carrick, just my opinion so it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And yet the worst goal conceded to minute ratio has been with Smalling on the field.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »

I don't care if people think what I am posting is crazy. I am simply going by what I see when I watch Hummels play.

What is the point of that quote? Some journalist says that Hummels probably could play midfield? So what? Thats meaningless.

Remember, plenty of pundits thought that Rooney could play midfield too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

RobertKK wrote: »

Agree with you. Gives the front 4/5 the space to attack without having to panic about defending if the dm was good at defending.
    Gives a really strong base to start attacks. We have plenty of creativity and Attacking philosophy in di Maria/mata/Rooney/Ander/Fellaini/Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    Source?

From the FPL website.

Smalling has been on the field for 1435 mins and United have conceded 18 goals in that time. This does (rightly) include the goal in the City game after his sending off.

Jones on the field for 1606 minutes and 16 goals.

Rojo on the field for 1600 minutes and 19 goals.

Evans on the field for 1039 and 6 goals.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Yet if you watched United this season it's clear to see Smalling has been by far our best defender.

Well I disagree. I still think he's out of position far too much and especially in the first half of the season was the worst of all them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads Im watching Barca at the moment and I hate to see utd playing like them

Thats what I love about utd at the moment. Its a enjoy to watch. I think the last time I enjoyed watching utd was when Ronaldo was there. The counter attacking soccer was unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have been a joy to watch since Spurs and we have improved since Sunderland/Newcastle games.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭blackwave

FC United who were set up by anti Glazer United fans 10 years ago have just been promoted to the conference North this evening and according to the BBC Salford City FC will be taking their place in the the Evo Stik league. Great to see both clubs do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

From the FPL website.

Smalling has been on the field for 1435 mins and United have conceded 18 goals in that time. This does (rightly) include the goal in the City game after his sending off.

Jones on the field for 1606 minutes and 16 goals.

Rojo on the field for 1600 minutes and 19 goals.

Evans on the field for 1039 and 6 goals.

I don't know what website you're talking about. I can't see those stats on premierleague.com.

I think it is a really poor way of judging the defenders. Considering how many variables there are affecting those numbers, the sample size and variation are pretty tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

blackwave wrote: »
    FC United who were set up by anti Glazer United fans 10 years ago have just been promoted to the conference North this evening and according to the BBC Salford City FC will be taking their place in the the Evo Stik league. Great to see both clubs do well!

Fancy them to get promoted next season too. Have bright future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

was just about to post that. Next season should be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd be a damn sight more comfortable with Evans playing than Paddy McNair or Tyler Blackett.

Why the big rush to get rid of people anyway? Its only four days since a raft of defensive injuries messed up our plans for Chelsea, haven't we learned the value of good squad players? Sign some first choice defenders and keep the likes of Evans/Jones, everybody wins!

ETA: Spending tens of millions on a CB so we can play him in midfield would just be ****ing stupid.

I'm advocating buying two CBs this summer. Which would mean 2 new CBs, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Evans, Blackett, McNair. Even with one CB bought, we would almost certainly see one go out. If it's two, it's a lock. If I had to choose one to go out of the current lot, it'd be Evans. Smalling is the best, Rojo's season has been stop start so the jury is out and Jones is still young and developing. Evans loses out here for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thats why im a big LVG fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You know he was joking right? He said that after listing all the players a fan wanted him to sign. full video here http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2015/Apr/video-louis-van-gaal-and-players-meet-fans-at-the-manchester-united-dream-day.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Context matters it seems. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't know what website you're talking about. I can't see those stats on premierleague.com.

I think it is a really poor way of judging the defenders. Considering how many variables there are affecting those numbers, the sample size and variation are pretty tiny.

Yes it's bollix! He's been decent this year.

Hola amigos from Madrid! Working on bringing Ronnie back to us if Real lose tomorrow.

Who needs context? we're gonna win the league!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

ShaneU wrote: »
    You know he was joking right? He said that after listing all the players a fan wanted him to sign. full video here http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2015/Apr/video-louis-van-gaal-and-players-meet-fans-at-the-manchester-united-dream-day.aspx

such a nice video. LVG is such a lad (when in the right mood)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dunno if its been mentioned but on this day 16 years ago one of the greatest comebacks Ive ever seen happened.

Goosebump City

Dunno if its been mentioned but on this day 16 years ago one of the greatest comebacks Ive ever seen happened.

Goosebump City

1999 wasn't 16 years ago shutup! :mad: I'm not old...

I was only 4, didn't stop me from giving out stink to my mam for letting me sleep through it though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

here is the video of the LVG interview.

https://twitter.com/abhashmufc/status/590640254643736576

he has been told to sign Clyne, Hummels, Pogba and Martinez..:)

The fantasy premier league website, handy for things like that.

I'm aware it doesn't tell the whole story and the difference between Rojo, Smalling and Jones is negligible but it does show that Evans has a clearr positive effect on the amount of goals conceded imo when there is such a disparity between the numbers. United haven't conceded more than 1 goal in a PL game with Evans on the pitch this season. He's not played much with his early season injury but it shows that people have been harsh on him. A lot of the mistakes people go on about with him are because he tries to do too much because he has confidence on the ball which is excusable when the team is so all over the place and less fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looks like 6 names

image1_zps38a21f6f.jpg

382.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Looks like 6 names

image1_zps38a21f6f.jpg

382.gif

apparently Depay is on the list and LVG never mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

apparently Depay is on the list and LVG never mentioned it.

So we're not signing the rest? :(

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »

Given the numbers talked about (some were pretty conservative too) that would be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Julez wrote: »

Or else we're signing the rest but not Depay... which isn't so bad :P

The best part is, when he says that I completely believe him.

ShaneU wrote: »

He meant what he said. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Seems a bit low compared to reported figures, would love if we got him for that,

More than likely this is a bs rumor

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Seems a bit low compared to reported figures, would love if we got him for that,

More than likely this is a bs rumor

It doesn't look so low when you consider it's about €30m, not much less than what Goetse went for a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It doesn't look so low when you consider it's about €30m, not much less than what Goetse went for a couple of years ago.

Goetze had a release clause though. Hummels doesn't. But very true on the exchange rate, English clubs have a very favourable exchange rate when buying European players now but I still reckon most English clubs will pay over market value players because well their English and best league in the world and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well I disagree. I still think he's out of position far too much and especially in the first half of the season was the worst of all them.

Your opinion of a center half goes out the window with your constant defence of Jonny Evans to be fair.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Goetze had a release clause though. Hummels doesn't. But very true on the exchange rate, English clubs have a very favourable exchange rate when buying European players now but I still reckon most English clubs will pay over market value players because well their English and best league in the world and all that.

True, I've always liked Hummels but he's been garbage since the WC and even in that he wasn't astoundingly good after some dodgy moments at the end of last season in big matches. I'm not sure he's the best use of that kind of money, especially at the age he is at. I guess you are getting a somewhat proven quantity but someone younger would be preferable. My worry is LVG knows he'll only be around for a few years and just wants a quick fix to the current problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

True, I've always liked Hummels but he's been garbage since the WC and even in that he wasn't astoundingly good after some dodgy moments at the end of last season in big matches. I'm not sure he's the best use of that kind of money, especially at the age he is at. I guess you are getting a somewhat proven quantity but someone younger would be preferable. My worry is LVG knows he'll only be around for a few years and just wants a quick fix to the current problems.

Hummels is only 26?

I think experience is key for a defender, especially when the rest of the back line is very young. I think United more then anything need an experienced leader. United can definitely afford to sign an older player without resale value so why not? It'd make ye genuine title challengers. Hummels wouldn't be my choice either, mainly due to cost and risk.

If I was LVG I'd go for someone older, either Miranda or Godin who are both older but could be got for substantially less.

The dream signings would be Varane or Marquinhos but there is zero chance either of those can be got. Elite CB's are hard to come by these days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement