Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lovely to see that side to Manchester United the happiness felt by or shown by some of the people in that video are class.... fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hummels for 22 million, one could dream

I can see it being closer to 30 though still a bargain, sign him up I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hummels is only 26?

I think experience is key for a defender, especially when the rest of the back line is very young. I think United more then anything need an experienced leader. United can definitely afford to sign an older player without resale value so why not? It'd make ye genuine title challengers. Hummels wouldn't be my choice either, mainly due to cost and risk.

If I was LVG I'd go for someone older, either Miranda or Godin who are both older but could be got for substantially less.

The dream signings would be Varane or Marquinhos but there is zero chance either of those can be got. Elite CB's are hard to come by these days.

The dream signing is Hummels as long as he can stay fit, and the reason Van Gaal will want him over any of the players you mentioned is because he fits the system better than all of them. Varane partnering him would be something special but it's unrealistic that Madrid will let him go, Smalling will have to do in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    True, I've always liked Hummels but he's been garbage since the WC and even in that he wasn't astoundingly good after some dodgy moments at the end of last season in big matches. I'm not sure he's the best use of that kind of money, especially at the age he is at. I guess you are getting a somewhat proven quantity but someone younger would be preferable. My worry is LVG knows he'll only be around for a few years and just wants a quick fix to the current problems.

That's strange. Hummels is 26, year younger than Evans whom you support whenever he makes stupid mistakes saying how comfortable he is on the ball.

22 Million is nothing in today's transfer market considering the prices paid for average players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hummels for 22 million, one could dream

I can see it being closer to 30 though still a bargain, sign him up I say

Well yeah he will if he moves.

This is just a simple negotiation tactic though? Bid low and test the water and see what they reply, but if they have officially bid then agents have talked and they are open to a move so it's just if Dortmund want to keep him or not
    They might turn around and say that offer is a bit low on our valuation.

People doing these deals are no fools.

From the FPL website.

Smalling has been on the field for 1435 mins and United have conceded 18 goals in that time. This does (rightly) include the goal in the City game after his sending off.

Jones on the field for 1606 minutes and 16 goals.

Rojo on the field for 1600 minutes and 19 goals.

Evans on the field for 1039 and 6 goals.

That's doesn't tell anything. It doesn't even take into consideration against whom they played and how many defensive mistakes they have made.

For example, Evans has made the most mistakes per 90 mins among the ManUtd CBs.

There isn't a single game where he made a telling difference this season.
    His cleansheet record includes games against
    1. Burnley - They rattled the cross bar very early in the game.
    2. QPR - Superb attacking display from the United team but defensively we were not solid at all. IIRC they had few good chances.
    3. Liverpool - Thanks to Sterling and Balotelli, or infact big thanks to De Gea it was a clean sheet.
    4. Spurs.
    5. QPR - Played 57 mins, we scored once he was off.
    6. Sunderland at OT
    7. Newcastle away.

He hardly played against any big teams to use his cleansheet record against other CBs. In fact he was not a standout CB in any of the game (maybe 1 or 2 but I dont remember any).

I know opposition creates chances so it might be unfair to use that against Evans but his cleansheet record or goals conceded per mins tells absolutely nothing. 2 games vs QPR, 1 vs Newcaslte, Sunderland, Burnley. Meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Evans should now be a commanding CB,

27 years of age now has over 100 appearances and is still not very reliable just seems prone to losses of concentration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not much point recapping the Depay and Hummels talk again. Little from the usual papers today. Digging deep for headlines...

Several sources have Lloris wanting to leave Spurs for champions league football. Of course, this is becoming combined with the De Gea talk to create "Lloris to United" rumours.

Some sources say us and Arsenal are "on alert" after City and Yaya Toure have decided to part ways come the end of the season.

Southampton, Manchester United and Liverpool are all considering a summer move for Newcastle United’s player of the season Daryl Janmaat.

United are expected to revive their interest in Robert Lewandowski. The Polish hitman has been in fine form for Bayern Munich this term, smashing home 19 goals in all competitions. Louis van Gaal is expecting a big summer on the transfer front, and Spanish news outlet Fichajes claim United have made an enquiry for Lewandowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I know Barcelona are linked with Begovic but would people here prefer him over Lloris?

I see Lloris as the better shot stopper but Begovic with overall better command of his area and defense, not to mention a proven goalscorer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

This day last year Mr Moyes left us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This day last year Mr Moyes left us.

And things look much better one year on, for both United and Moyes. Happy days.

Evans should now be a commanding CB,

27 years of age now has over 100 appearances and is still not very reliable just seems prone to losses of concentration.

Exactly. I liked him when he started with United, playing next to Vidic. But he never stepped up to the next level, if anything it looks like his ball playing skills was much better before, maybe due to lack of confidence.

At his age and spending all these years at United and with Ferdinand, Vidic you would expect him to step up and lead the defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

And things look much better one year on, for both United and Moyes. Happy days.

I hope he rips it up next year in Spain and reaches the CL spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Who the f*ck are Unitedreport.com and why do they get so much credence around here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Who the f*ck are Unitedreport.com and why do they get so much credence around here?

They're just a united news aggregator. I don't think anyone thinks they have any inside knowledge at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know Barcelona are linked with Begovic but would people here prefer him over Lloris?

I see Lloris as the better shot stopper but Begovic with overall better command of his area and defense, not to mention a proven goalscorer!

I couldn't believe Liverpool opted for Mingolet over him. If DDG is to be replaced i wouldn't mind Begovic he is very solid.

But we will probably overpay for LLoris who has more experience in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Isn't begovic generally poor with the ball at his feet. My impression is distribution is not great. Considering the way United play, being comfortable and accurate with the ball at your feet is a requirement of a United keeper.

It is also, apparently, one of the reasons we went for DDG over Lloris originally, scouts felt Lloris wasn't good enough with his feet.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They're just a united news aggregator. I don't think anyone thinks they have any inside knowledge at the club.

Seem to be making their way in here an awful lot, they're like the new SportWitness or whatever it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe Liverpool opted for Mingolet over him. If DDG is to be replaced i wouldn't mind Begovic he is very solid.

But we will probably overpay for LLoris who has more experience in Europe.

I don't get this logic of experience in Europe, especially for a keeper.

He plays in the premiership, for a big club, plays for France in the World Cup. I don't think any kind of new stadium or noise would make any pro player just stand there and suck his thumb. They know what to expect, just like they know what to expect in their next game against Everton or whoever. This might have been the case 20 years ago with analysis not being as specific as it is today.

Am I under estimating it or do people like to over estimate in a way like the fa cup has the 'magic'?

• Advertisement

Seem to be making their way in here an awful lot, they're like the new SportWitness or whatever it's called.

Listen, if you are getting that aggravated about transfer rumours this early in the summer, you are in for a rough time :P

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting rumours and discussing them. I don't think many see them or any other source as a bible.

SportWitness is the best site to filter out transfer news. They do all the ground work for you, like how the rumor was started and the paper which is publishing the news is using which paper as source and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

22m is a good starting point for hummels, presume Dortmund will ask for 30 end up paying around 26m

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Listen, if you are getting that aggravated about transfer rumours this early in the summer, you are in for a rough time :P

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting rumours and discussing them. I don't think many see them or any other source as a bible.

You've been around here long enough to know how I get around transfer window season :pac:

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    SportWitness is the best site to filter out transfer news. They do all the ground work for you, like how the rumor was started and the paper which is publishing the news is using which paper as source and all that.

That's all well and good but some people treat it like it's gospel.

You've been around here long enough to know how I get around transfer window season :pac:

What will ye all do if rumours are true that LVG wants all business done quick this summer. What will a summer be like without transfer sagas? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    Evans is a great squad player that won't be sold.

Evans hasnt been good enough for a long time now. If he was 22 or 23 id say fair enough give him time to develop, but hes been around a long time at this stage. He should be leading that back four using his experience, instead he looks the most unassured defender we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

22m is a good starting point for hummels, presume Dortmund will ask for 30 end up paying around 26m

the exchange rate really favours the English clubs this summer. £22m is €30m....incredible return at the moment compared to last year.

i am sure the clubs are monitoring this closely...it could really influence how quickly our business is done...if the Euro is expected to grow, we could see all our business done asap...the other side if it is expected to get worse, we could be in for another long summer....:(:(:(

What will ye all do if rumours are true that LVG wants all business done quick this summer. What will a summer be like without transfer sagas? :P

That's the ideal scenario. You will still have journos linking every player under the sun until the end of August though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Should we start a list of all the players were linked with (inc sources) between now and the end of the window? It'll be funny too look back at it. We can edit it every time some new reports it for example

C.Ronaldo R.Madrid - Sky Sports, Sun, telegraph etc etc

M.Hummels B.Dortmund - sky sports, football 365, @unitedreport etc etc

Could be an extensive list by close of window!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Exactly. I liked him when he started with United, playing next to Vidic. But he never stepped up to the next level, if anything it looks like his ball playing skills was much better before, maybe due to lack of confidence.

At his age and spending all these years at United and with Ferdinand, Vidic you would expect him to step up and lead the defense.

And yet if you look at squawka like you clearly did earlier to find your defensive error (pointless) stat you will find that he is significantly better on the ball than Smalling and Jones and similar but better than Rojo with far more passes per game and far more forward passes. I don't know why he is held to such high standards that he should be the best CB in the world. As for your other comment earlier that he is younger than Hummels, he also won't cost £30m and 200k a week wages, adds to the homegrown status and hasn't contrary to popular belief, been awful this season. I really don't understand the bitterness towards him and think it must just be based on one bad game against the MK Dons where everyone was garbage, even De Gea.

The fact some seemingly can't bear to see him there as a backup CB is hilarious to me. As for not playing any big teams, well I'd regard Liverpool at home and Spurs away as challenging enough games but that must be me. You'd swear Smalling didn't get dragged off after conceding 4 against Leicester. Nobody has given any good reasons for getting rid of him bar "lol I can't believe you think Evans is good, you must be stupid init" so sorry if I don't pander to the majority on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I can guarantee that we will be linked to snjeider for the whole summer. That will help Will along

evans has been a very good defender for us, only 27 as well. very comfortable on the ball and good in the air.

evans has been a very good defender for us, only 27 as well. very comfortable on the ball and good in the air.

He can definitely do better in the air. It's easily his main weakness but I guess his covering style impacts that somewhat. Having reliable squad players seems to be lost in certain fans who just want to spend 70m on CBs this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Overall he has been terrible when he has played this season and should be shipped off if we buy someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He can definitely do better in the air. It's easily his main weakness but I guess his covering style impacts that somewhat. Having reliable squad players seems to be lost in certain fans who just want to spend 70m on CBs this Summer.
    yes, reliable squad players are needed - but if we sign Hummels (or whomever) we will have:

Hummels, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Evans, McNair, Blacket.

5 senior CBs and two back ups.

Now, personally I don't think Blacket will ever be of sufficient class but I can see McNair developing well, to squad role anyway.

I think we could stand to lose a senior centre back, and I would vote Evans out of the five to leave. Jones and Smalling have been more impressive than him. That spit at Cisse could have ended his United career, in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And yet if you look at squawka like you clearly did earlier to find your defensive error (pointless) stat you will find that he is significantly better on the ball than Smalling and Jones and similar but better than Rojo with far more passes per game and far more forward passes. I don't know why he is held to such high standards that he should be the best CB in the world. As for your other comment earlier that he is younger than Hummels, he also won't cost £30m and 200k a week wages, adds to the homegrown status and hasn't contrary to popular belief, been awful this season. I really don't understand the bitterness towards him and think it must just be based on one bad game against the MK Dons where everyone was garbage, even De Gea.

The fact some seemingly can't bear to see him there as a backup CB is hilarious to me. As for not playing any big teams, well I'd regard Liverpool at home and Spurs away as challenging enough games but that must be me. You'd swear Smalling didn't get dragged off after conceding 4 against Leicester. Nobody has given any good reasons for getting rid of him bar "lol I can't believe you think Evans is good, you must be stupid init" so sorry if I don't pander to the majority on here.

Smalling has played the full 90 against Chelsea, City and Arsenal twice, plus Liverpool and Spurs once. Whereas the biggest teams Evans has faced are Spurs (70 minutes) and Liverpool (full game). And yet you are trying to portray the goals conceded number as a useful way of comparing them.

Defensive mistake is not a pointless stat, forward passes are. He is not a midfielder to rate him on passing. For a record he has the lowest pass completion % than any of our CBs.

No one is saying he should be the best in the world, at least he should be the best in the club considering how many seasons he has spent at top level. Point is he has not stepped up and he is the 4th best CB.

ManUtd have no problem with home grown quota, so keeping Evans for the sake of it is stupid reason.

Also regarding the transfer fee and wages, shame you don't use the same logic when comparing Di Maria and Young or even Januzaj. You pick on Januzaj for silly reasons and defend Di Maria but when it comes to Evans and Hummels you talk about Home grown status, Wages and transfer fee.

No one is bitter or even hate Evans. He is not good enough for United just like Moyes wasn't. You want your players to be of higher quality and Evans was given more than enough chances which he has failed to take.

There is no point in keeping him as a back up. If we sign new CB then we will have CB, Smalling, Jones and Rojo as CBs and we have McNair who is showing more than enough promise to give few games.

His 2 big games were against Liverpool and Spurs, against Liverpool it was De Gea's heroics that kept us in the game but somehow you use that stat to defend Evans. ****ing lolworthy.

Smalling has improved and it's obvious for everyone to see. His confidence on the ball has improved and also his overall defending. He is the leader of the defense. Even if he is not of the highest quality he is much better than Evans and best CB at the club.

And we need you to educate us on that after your posts on Young and Januzaj.

We need a senior CB to lead the team. So with that we will have Senior CB, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, McNair, Evans.

That's 6 CBs for 2 positions. I would say without Evans also we have enough CB cover.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Smalling has played the full 90 against Chelsea, City and Arsenal twice, plus Liverpool and Spurs once. Whereas the biggest teams Evans has faced are Spurs (70 minutes) and Liverpool (full game). And yet you are trying to portray the goals conceded number as a useful way of comparing them.

Even in those games he didn't do any better. Liverpool created many chances, De Gea saved us. Spurs were all over us in the second half and no idea how it ended 0-0

• Advertisement

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Overall he has been terrible when he has played this season and should be shipped off if we buy someone else.

way over the top, what game has he been terrible in? he has been solid anytime he has played for the club over the course of his career. Very highly rated at the club and good in the dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The fickle nature of the fans right there.

Evans has done very well for us for the vast majority of his United career, and those "terrible" games he played this year came at a time when the entire team was bloody "terrible". I have little doubt that had Evans not gotten suspended, he would have stayed in the team and been playing when we hit our run of good form, and the same fans would now happily be proclaiming him a great defender.

If he wants to leave then let him go, but if he wants to stay its a complete no-brainer to keep an experienced homegrown defender who has done well for us more often than not and makes a fine backup defender.

Pro. F wrote: »

I think you'll find he didn't play full games against City twice :p

Chelsea and City also hardly set up to attack and I seem to remember a couple of very dodgy moments. Ultimately I don't think Smalling is any better than Evans, he's just the one who's got the consistent run in the team as LVG lucked out on finally stumbling onto the right tactics. He's still not smart enough on the ball to be a top class defender but like Evans, should be kept for backup and given his good run of form, kept in until it drops.

Evans has done very well for us for the vast majority of his United career, and those "terrible" games he played this year came at a time when the entire team was bloody "terrible". I have little doubt that had Evans not gotten suspended, he would have stayed in the team and been playing when we hit our run of good form, and the same fans would now happily be proclaiming him a great defender.

If he wants to leave then let him go, but if he wants to stay its a complete no-brainer to keep an experienced homegrown defender who has done well for us more often than not and makes a fine backup defender.

yes agree 100%.

it was only 3 weeks ago I think I was asked what man utd players would make the Barcelona team and I said smalling and was laughed out of here by a lot of people and then after the Chelsea game some people apologised and said I was correct he was an excellent defender. that was only in the space of 3-4 weeks

And we need you to educate us on that after your posts on Young and Januzaj.

We need a senior CB to lead the team. So with that we will have Senior CB, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, McNair, Evans.

That's 6 CBs for 2 positions. I would say without Evans also we have enough CB cover.

There are already better players at the club than Young and Januzaj. Young I've always said he's a good squad player but his return is nowhere good enough to be a starter in his position at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Not sure why Januzaj matters as he's years away from being a viable option but sure use him to get a pointless dig in. Sorry if that's too much for you to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Chelsea and City also hardly set up to attack and I seem to remember a couple of very dodgy moments. Ultimately I don't think Smalling is any better than Evans, he's just the one who's got the consistent run in the team as LVG lucked out on finally stumbling onto the right tactics. He's still not smart enough on the ball to be a top class defender but like Evans, should be kept for backup and given his good run of form, kept in until it drops.

I know what you think, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise just now. I'm just proving that the evidence you are using for your argument is rubbish.

So now you are trying to pretend that Chelsea, Arsenal and City aren't more difficult teams for a CB to play against than the teams Evans played against. And if you want to talk about dodgy moments, Evans has had plenty himself.

There are already better players at the club than Young and Januzaj. Young I've always said he's a good squad player but his return is nowhere good enough to be a starter in his position at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Not sure why Januzaj matters as he's years away from being a viable option but sure use him to get a pointless dig in. Sorry if that's too much for you to accept.

Januzaj matters because he is young and learning still you attack every single mistake of his and at the same time you defend every single mistake of Evans who should be at his peak now.

Young is a good squad player but you always moan when anyone praise him for playing good game.

I agree Young is a good squad player and right now he is second choice for LW spot. No one is disputing that, likewise Evans is 4th choice CB and worst of our CBs (or 4th best CB if that makes you feel better) in anyway you look at.

City hardly set up to attack with players like Aguero, Yaya, Silva, Navas. :D

Stumbling upon tactics. How lucky he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

My post refers to this season not his whole career. However now that you mention his whole career, he has been good at times however I think I would put that down to his partner being an experienced Rio/Vidic. Now that they aren't there I think he will and has been exposed to a degree.

I don't think his performances this season can justify him staying in the team. If Smalling/Jones somehow manage to stay fit (which I doubt) then I think Lvg should probably stick with them.

• Advertisement

My post refers to this season.

what games was he terrible in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement