Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Evans has turned into Cleverley,looked decent and had potential but then just stalled in his progression.While good on the ball,he fails to defend basic hoofballs which should be bread and butter to any CB regardless of what level they play at.A simple ball over his head and he turns like a cruise ship or just gives up on it.
    Rojo while rash at times has shown him up in this regard,he's been caught a couple of times this way but in a flash he's back challenging the attacker for the ball,Evans looked better than what he is when playing alongside the likes of Rio or Vidic.I had high hopes for Evans but I think he's reached his peak and it's not quite high enough for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    yes agree 100%.

it was only 3 weeks ago I think I was asked what man utd players would make the Barcelona team and I said smalling and was laughed out of here by a lot of people and then after the Chelsea game some people apologised and said I was correct he was an excellent defender. that was only in the space of 3-4 weeks

Oiii you :) I never said he was an excellent defender and id like to think I'm far from fickle I think what I said was a few weeks ago you were talking about him getting into the barca team and I disagreed but looking back over the past couple of games smalling has really stepped up and played well so maybe you had a point.

I acknowledged that I may of not gave him enough credit but that's not been fickle I never said originally that he was dirt defender or was useless I just didn't believe that he was better then pique and who barca have at their disposal.

you cant call someone fickle for accepting that you had a point. Half the problem in here is that people over exaggerate such as when we weren't playing well and saying lvg wont get it right ect ect and then when we play well they are no where to be seen or else ignore that they wanted him gone a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Januzaj matters because he is young and learning still you attack every single mistake of his and at the same time you defend every single mistake of Evans who should be at his peak now.

Young is a good squad player but you always moan when anyone praise him for playing good game.

I agree Young is a good squad player and right now he is second choice for LW spot. No one is disputing that, likewise Evans is 4th choice CB and worst of our CBs (or 4th best CB if that makes you feel better) in anyway you look at.

Well if everyone was fit and available I'd have Evans and Rojo as the starting pair so there you go. Though Smalling and Evans did well together last month too. Evans played a lot of the season on the left of a back 3 due to injuries and did ok even though the system was terrible and he's right footed. His ability on the ball cost him in that regard, a lot of times he had to cover out wide and go to the ball and that's not his game.

Also my problem with Januzaj is that he is not learning and is a liability in a team that needs stability right now.

I "moan" at Young because I don't agree that a game where a winger doesn't find his man with 10 crosses is a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

zerks wrote: »
    Evans has turned into Cleverley,looked decent and had potential but then just stalled in his progression.While good on the ball,he fails to defend basic hoofballs which should be bread and butter to any CB regardless of what level they play at.A simple ball over his head and he turns like a cruise ship or just gives up on it.
    Rojo while rash at times has shown him up in this regard,he's been caught a couple of times this way but in a flash he's back challenging the attacker for the ball,Evans looked better than what he is when playing alongside the likes of Rio or Vidic.I had high hopes for Evans but I think he's reached his peak and it's not quite high enough for United.

Pretty much agree with all of that. At his best he was good enough for us. He played more games than anyone else during the clean sheet record with VDS in goal.

It wasn't that he failed to progress from there he's actually regressed badly imo. Seems to be a mental thing as much as anything else. He has the attributes there but he seems to get worried out of duels with strikers that he should be dealing with easily.

Wasn't it Drogba he dominated on his debut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"Evans has turned into Cleverley"

FFS. Yeah, maybe in the way that he is being stupidly criticised for something that is not his fault. This time it's because Evans isn't as good as Rio or Vidic and should be the best defender in the world right now seemingly according to some and not just a really good squad player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hate talking about alternatives for De Gea, can only see him getting us 25-30 million if he doesn't sign a contract, not much more than what was paid for him and he's gone from a skinny boy good at shot stopping to arguably the second best keeper in the world in that time.

Hopefully he signs and stays at least another season but if he does end up leaving I'd rather keep Valdes and get another young keeper in. Leno would be high up the list as an option and he has a £12 million buyout clause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if evans wasn't given a 6 match ban he would be still in the starting 11 and we would more than likely be saying how good smalling and evans have been together as a partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

way over the top, what game has he been terrible in? he has been solid anytime he has played for the club over the course of his career. Very highly rated at the club and good in the dressing room

All bar one game did Evans do well in. In all the others he looked as if he lost all footballing ability (assuming lack of confidence)

Highy rated at the club? Not sure if that is still the case. He's 27 now.

yes agree 100%.

it was only 3 weeks ago I think I was asked what man utd players would make the Barcelona team and I said smalling and was laughed out of here by a lot of people and then after the Chelsea game some people apologised and said I was correct he was an excellent defender. that was only in the space of 3-4 weeks

I wasn't one of them. Lvg looks to have had a chat with him. Hopefully he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

if evans wasn't given a 6 match ban he would be still in the starting 11 and we would more than likely be saying how good smalling and evans have been together as a partnership

A lot of ifs and buts the in fairness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

As far as I'm concerned Evans had been our best, most consistent defender the 3 seasons prior to this. This year he had a rough patch when the entire team struggled, picked up a few naggling injuries and a stupid suspension that is completely out of character for him. That so many United fans are clamouring for his head baffles me. Especially when during the course of this season we had so many defensive injuries that 2 youth players were promoted out of necessity & Carrick was forced to CB. I agree that we need to bring in a defender, be it Hummels or Laporte, but we should not be selling the ones we do have considering we will hopefully have even more games to play and utilise a squad next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Well if everyone was fit and available I'd have Evans and Rojo as the starting pair so there you go. Though Smalling and Evans did well together last month too. Evans played a lot of the season on the left of a back 3 due to injuries and did ok even though the system was terrible and he's right footed. His ability on the ball cost him in that regard, a lot of times he had to cover out wide and go to the ball and that's not his game.

Also my problem with Januzaj is that he is not learning and is a liability in a team that needs stability right now.

I "moan" at Young because I don't agree that a game where a winger doesn't find his man with 10 crosses is a good game.

He was shaky this season and with the ball too. Always allowed players to close down and then try to hoof it aimlessly.

So yesterday you blamed Van Gaal for Shaw's lack of improvement but for Januzaj it's his own, nothing to do with him getting few mins here and there and that too when we are chasing the game or desperate for goal.

Your definition of good cross is completely different to mine though, when striker doesn't make run you count that as failed cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

de Gea is staying.

/2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Your definition of good cross is completely different to mine though, when striker doesn't make run you count that as failed cross.

You can't just blindly fire balls into the box and then put the blame on the strikers. How can the striker know where the cross is going to land when Young doesn't seem to know himself?

United fans should know better, we watched one of the best ever crossers of the ball for years, and there is a world of difference between the targeted crosses of Beckham and the hit and hope crossing of Young and Valencia.

If you want to know where Liam is coming from just look at Di Maria. Even in a crap season he racks up the assists, whereas Young at the top of his game struggles to match the numbers. Young is playing well, he is performing a role for the team, but his end product is quite poor and theres little point pretending otherwise.

You can't just blindly fire balls into the box and then put the blame on the strikers. How can the striker know where the cross is going to land when Young doesn't seem to know himself?

United fans should know better, we watched one of the best ever crossers of the ball for years, and there is a world of difference between the targeted crosses of Beckham and the hit and hope crossing of Young and Valencia.

If you want to know where Liam is coming from just look at Di Maria. Even in a crap season he racks up the assists, whereas Young at the top of his game struggles to match the numbers. Young is playing well, he is performing a role for the team, but his end product is quite poor and theres little point pretending otherwise.

I'm not defending Young's output, it's poor. I'm talking about specific incidents. We all know Di Maria is a world class player whereas Young is just a squad player who is playing at top of his game.

I'm also not comparing him to Di Maria as I have always said Di Maria should start ahead of Young because he offers a lot more in the final third but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good cross when strikers fail to make a near post run or even more. It's not a blind hit and hope either. It's something that you expect from a striker.

Liam O wrote: »
    "Evans has turned into Cleverley"

FFS. Yeah, maybe in the way that he is being stupidly criticised for something that is not his fault. This time it's because Evans isn't as good as Rio or Vidic and should be the best defender in the world right now seemingly according to some and not just a really good squad player.

C'mon,you know what I meant by that-I even explained it in the rest of the post but you picked that piece and quoted it out of context.

He had all the attributes to be class but has hit a point where he doesn't seem able to progress any further,just like Cleverley.

I liked Evans as a player but as I said,I fear where he's at now is his level and won't go beyond that.

C'mon,you know what I meant by that-I even explained it in the rest of the post but you picked that piece and quoted it out of context.

He had all the attributes to be class but has hit a point where he doesn't seem able to progress any further,just like Cleverley.

I liked Evans as a player but as I said,I fear where he's at now is his level and won't go beyond that.

and his level is very good. for the game we are now playing where there is some sort of rhythm in the team and we are having good possession and not giving away many chances, evans is more than capable of being a big part of the team. he was always a good honest defender and a few games when hes back up to speed he is a big plus for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yes that might have happened but it didn't, he instead let himself and his teammates down by spitting at Cisse, and leaving the team short of options for one of the toughest run of games we had in years.

astradave wrote: »
    Yes that might have happened but it didn't, he instead let himself and his teammates down by spitting at Cisse, and leaving the team short of options for one of the toughest run of games we had in years.

I actually believe him 100% that he didn't mean to spit at cisse nor did he even know at the time cisse spat back at him. also that takes nothing away from his footballing ability, that's just a cheap shot at him. he was very good in that game as well

CGRIBBZ
    @CallumGribbin99
    reading some comments on red cafe👍😂😂 thanks for the rating. some people know nothing about me or ⚽️! Jerks.

https://twitter.com/CallumGribbin99/status/590548043906342913

I actually believe him 100% that he didn't mean to spit at cisse nor did he even know at the time cisse spat back at him. also that takes nothing away from his footballing ability, that's just a cheap shot at him. he was very good in that game as well

I'm not arguing his footballing abilities (which I believe his development has stagnated) Im arguing your previous post which stated that he would be still in the team if it didn't happen.. it did happen and it was clear as day that he looked down and aimed a spit at Cisse therefore letting his teammates down at a crucial time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who is that?? Context?

man utd u18 player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Who is that?? Context?

United youth player. I think he's only 15 or 16, but there's been some talk that he looks like a superstar in the making. Rumour was he was going to leave for Liverpool, has now taken a scholarship at United. Haven't seen him play myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United youth player. I think he's only 15 or 16, but there's been some talk that he looks like a superstar in the making. Rumour was he was going to leave for Liverpool, has now taken a scholarship at United. Haven't seen him play myself.

This was on the official united site:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Shock horror. People making assumptions about other people on the internet who they don't know, are wrong.
    Don't know why he is so surprised they are jerks, but the innocence of youth I guess.

I'm watching ye all.

Shock horror. People making assumptions about other people on the internet who they don't know, are wrong.
    Don't know why he is so surprised they are jerks, but the innocence of youth I guess.

I'm watching ye all.

Pretty sure the story was that he was supposedly moaning that he wasn't getting any game time with the u18's a couple of months ago. He is 16 I think. And he had supposedly expressed a desire to leave and join Liverpool. All hear say but over on red cafe they criticised him over it and that's were the tweet came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I'm watching ye all.

Tbf he did say a few odd things about next season on twitter, he also started to follow Liverpool and remarked about a few of their players. There was defo something to the speculation at the time.

Delighted hes signed up anyway. Reminds me of Morrison in some respects. He glides around the place. Great vision as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

might not be a bad idea. If he can stay fit and improve his form he'll be an amazing cdm for us i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

See Gundogan as more of a box to box midfielder myself.

CDNDe7zWgAA2Ozb.jpg

What exactly were some of the new terms in Chris Smalling's new contract????? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He looks like one of The Unsullied, not with that leather though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

CDNDe7zWgAA2Ozb.jpg

What exactly were some of the new terms in Chris Smalling's new contract????? :P

Hr looks like Phil lynott with short hair

looks like Dybala wont be coming to England now, thought he would end up at Chelsea, seems he would rather stay in Italy and move to Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hococop wrote: »
    Hr looks like Phil lynott with short hair

Seal, milk chocolate galaxy Edition

Smooth and sophisticated, like his defending x x x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Trilla wrote: »

sad-dumb-and-dumber-crying-jim-carrey.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Trilla wrote: »

Still not as creepy as wanting to smell Rafael's feet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wtf!!!!! Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

MagicIRL wrote: »

Am what???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any thoughts lads on UEFA introducing a new seeding structure for the Champions League? - assuming we qualify we will no longer will be in Pot 1 http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/2015/0422/695993-uefa-announce-changes-to-champions-league-seeding/

I think its a fairly ridiculous idea - It will produce some great group games but if the big boy knock each other out we could be left with some average teams in the last 16 on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

killwill wrote: »
    Am what???

Go far enough back into the United threads from last season I think it is. A very, very, odd series of posts involving Rafael's feet.

Not posted by me, by the way! :cool::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any thoughts lads on UEFA introducing a new seeding structure for the Champions League? - assuming we qualify we will no longer will be in Pot 1 http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/2015/0422/695993-uefa-announce-changes-to-champions-league-seeding/

I think its a fairly ridiculous idea - It will produce some great group games but if the big boy knock each other out we could be left with some average teams in the last 16 on...

Its a great idea, stop pandering to the big clubs and open it up for other teams to maybe make a run at the title. So what if a big club goes out in the group stages, I don't want to see the same 8 teams in the quarter finals every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

irishfeen wrote: »

Still think it should be the 7 highest ranked league champions, not the 7 league champions of the highest ranked countries. Could put an amazing team together but be in the wrong league and practically have no chance of pot 1.

chicarito starting. worth a watch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Its a great idea, stop pandering to the big clubs and open it up for other teams to maybe make a run at the title. So what if a big club goes out in the group stages, I don't want to see the same 8 teams in the quarter finals every year.
    Yeah but it doesn't take into account that it's harder to win the Premier League then say the Turkish/Greek league for instance.. Is their much point in putting a team into pot 1 when their opponents in 2,3 & 4 are clearly better then them and may not win a game.

Go far enough back into the United threads from last season I think it is. A very, very, odd series of posts involving Rafael's feet.

Not posted by me, by the way! :cool::eek:

I thought you admitting to some strange fetish haha.
    I think I will pass on looking for the post too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Express are reporting that Real Madrid have conceded in their bids to lure De Gea away from United, and turn now to Begovic. :D

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Express are reporting that Real Madrid have conceded in their bids to lure De Gea away from United, and turn now to Begovic. :D

Fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

2 years ago today, United landed their 20th league title, courtesy of a Robin Van Persie hat-trick.

The post in question..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92313637&postcount=8113

I remember reading that and feeling ill for the whole day after :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement