Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Thierry Henry wasn't a fan of Chico's celebration last night. I reckon it has something to do with this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I guess he has to do something because he offers nothing. Criticizing a celebration is the lamest attempt at being controversial. "I think referees should be all female...strippers...with titty tassels" would be a bit more exciting and edgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The reason Januzaj is so septic is that he's ridiculously selfish. I've mentioned before that he literally stops with the ball when he gets it sometimes, as if trying to work out the exact way he can take the maximum out of it. I frequently think he should be killed while watching him, never mind sent out on loan.

On a separate note, I also think anyone complaining about any form of shake up to the world's most ball-achingly boring competition in the world of sport (i.e. the Champions League group stages) should be killed.

I also think Thierry Henry should be killed, kill him first.

stankratz wrote: »
    Speaking of users no longer around these parts, Kryogen appears to have closed his account as of a month ago. He was a good contributor to this thread.

Went to Thailand I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Someone had pissy Cornflakes this morning. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

keane2097 wrote: »
    Went to Thailand I think.

Lucky b**tard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

From Man Utd.com:

So far in 2015, five centre-backs have played for the Reds in the Barclays Premier League and the 1985 FA Cup-winning legend feels they all have something to offer as the post-Ferdinand and Vidic era unfolds.

Ahead of his appearance as a pundit on MUTV's Matchday Live for the Everton game on Sunday, this is what McGrath had to say to ManUtd.com about the quintet in question (listed with their 2014/15 records):

Paul McGrath's verdict on five United centre-backs

Chris Smalling (20 starts, 4 sub appearances, 4 goals)

"Chris is very sharp and quick going forward - I love the speed that he has. And a bit like myself, he likes to roam with the ball at his feet. It's hard to compare centre-backs now to players from my era though, because they can't go into fifty-fifty tackles like we used to do!"

Marcos Rojo (22 starts, 2 sub appearances, 1 goal)

"I watched him in the World Cup last summer and I thought then, before he signed for United, that he is a class act. I like the way he plays football – he’s not afraid to make a pass and he’s not afraid to receive one, although he’s perhaps more of an out-and-out defender than some of the others who like to move forward with the ball."

Phil Jones (20 starts, 1 sub appearance)

"I have to say I really admire Phil Jones. He's one of those defenders who’s prepared to put his head in where it hurts. He looks like he would go through a brick wall for you."

Jonny Evans (14 starts, 2 sub appearances)

"It's difficult to answer when people ask me which current centre-back most reminds me of my playing style. But I suppose it could be Jonny Evans. He wins his fair share in the air and he also seems calm on the ball. He likes to play a bit of football, get it back and knock it around."

Paddy McNair (12 starts, 3 sub appearances)

"I thought he was incredible against Chelsea. He showed a maturity level that I would never have shown at that age (19). If a space opens up in front of you as a defender and you know you’re quick enough to go through it without getting caught, then you should go through it. He did that a few times at Chelsea and even tested Courtois with a shot. He seems to be very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

"I think each of them has qualities that are going to benefit them over the next few years. It’s lovely that they’re all so young, still with some learning to do. It would be great to see them stay and do that learning with Manchester United because they deserve to, they’re all really good players. I think we’re well covered at the back."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

keane2097 wrote: »
    The reason Januzaj is so septic is that he's ridiculously selfish. I've mentioned before that he literally stops with the ball when he gets it sometimes, as if trying to work out the exact way he can take the maximum out of it. I frequently think he should be killed while watching him, never mind sent out on loan.

On a separate note, I also think anyone complaining about any form of shake up to the world's most ball-achingly boring competition in the world of sport (i.e. the Champions League group stages) should be killed.

I agree with this 100%. The group stages are a seeded money spinner and nothing more - utterly pointless in many cases. Same as the entire of the Europa League.
    I have always felt they should go back in the CL to unseeded straight 2-leg knock out. Bring it up to 64 teams as well if needs be. So any club that gets to the last 16 will play 6 games and along the way you will have fascinating ties that keep people interested.

As for the Europa League - its a joke that they have a group system. Its nothing short of a hindrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kstand wrote: »
    I agree with this 100%. The group stages are a seeded money spinner and nothing more - utterly pointless in many cases. Same as the entire of the Europa League.
    I have always felt they should go back in the CL to unseeded straight 2-leg knock out. Bring it up to 64 teams as well if needs be. So any club that gets to the last 16 will play 6 games and along the way you will have fascinating ties that keep people interested.

As for the Europa League - its a joke that they have a group system. Its nothing short of a hindrance.

like any competition in fairness, snooker, hurling, football etc etc all the early games are pointless, its only come 1/4 or 1/2 final that the competition gets better when the stakes are higher. Should be 2 cracking semi finals what ever the draw is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    cant believe you never mentioned Ronaldo in the above :p

It was just on who left last summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

like any competition in fairness, snooker, hurling, football etc etc all the early games are pointless, its only come 1/4 or 1/2 final that the competition gets better when the stakes are higher. Should be 2 cracking semi finals what ever the draw is

When you have straight knock out from the first round then you have very interesting meaningful ties from the off. Right now for the CL group games, I couldnt be bothered watching them even if it were 2 big clubs facing off.
    Hurling and football not great comparisons because of the back door - prior to the back door I was at games in May and June where you wouldnt turn sideways, such was the crowd because it was do or die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you have straight knock out from the first round then you have very interesting meaningful ties from the off. Right now for the CL group games, I couldnt be bothered watching them even if it were 2 big clubs facing off.
    Hurling and football not great comparisons because of the back door - prior to the back door I was at games in May and June where you wouldnt turn sideways, such was the crowd because it was do or die.

Totally agree on GAA. Its actually become boring now till the Quarter Final stages or knockout.

The CL group stages ain't great but don't think its as boring as some say.

I think the was during the boom time though when lads had money left right and centre and they were going on a mad session after the game. no money now and the standard of the majority of gaa games is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Totally agree on GAA. Its actually become boring now till the Quarter Final stages or knockout.

The CL group stages ain't great but don't think its as boring as some say.

It was this year that we were'nt in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So who do people think we will go for this summer?

I'm guessing:

Lloris.
    Coleman/Clyne
    Hummels/Another CB.
    Gundogan/Another CM.
    Depay.
    A striker - depending on who stays/leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If De Gea does leave, I want Lloris the following day. Superb goalkeeper.

I also don't see the Clyne hype.

If De Gea does leave I be surprised if it was any keeper but Lloris next season. Would not be keen on Clyne either.

Top priority will be CB, CM and Keeper if worst happens

So who do people think we will go for this summer?

I'm guessing:

Lloris.
    Coleman/Clyne
    Hummels/Another CB.
    Gundogan/Another CM.
    Depay.
    A striker - depending on who stays/leaves.

coleman just signed a contract with everton, he wont be leaving, clyne...meh

Depay nailed on

Bale as part of de gea deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Unpopular opinion.

I wouldn't be mad if de gea left.our defense looks sorted (ish) in the last month or so and he hasn't had much to do unlike last year or the first half of the season.
    A new competent defender or 2 in for the summer and it's grand.
    Happy enough with valdes given he will only have 3/4 saves to make a match, or any other high level competent keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Lloris was the keeper I wanted after Van Der Sar and he'd be the keeper I want after De Gea if it happens. Hate dealing with Spurs though

Fwiw, Lloris apparently wants to leave for CL football. Couldn't blame him at 28, although keepers do have longer careers but he should be playing in the CL for a keeper of his quality.

seeing as lyon get 20% of any transfer in the future of lloris, I cant see spurs selling for any less than 25m.

I would be happy enough with Valdes as keeper, he wasn't the Barca no1 for 10 years + for nothing

La la la De Gea's not leaving...

gatorade-headphones-gatorade-gifs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

If he's sold someone can just create a GIF of the blunder against Sunderland in the League Cup last year - it might numb the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

If Madrid want De Gea, put up Bale, simple as that. Shouldn't get bullied into selling like we were with Ronaldo, if he goes it has to be on our terms.

Bale took enough **** of their idiot fans this year to want a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I would've thought Krul would've been Van Gaal's preference over Lloris, myself.

Saying that, De Gea has won us so many points the past 2 seasons that he would be a massive loss, no matter who comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hopefully Ander and Juan can keep big Dave here. But I fear that his missus is swaying him back to Madrid.

Wesc. wrote: »
    I would've thought Krul would've been Van Gaal's preference over Lloris, myself.

Saying that, De Gea has won us so many points the past 2 seasons that he would be a massive loss, no matter who comes in.

Krul wasn't even LVGs choice for his Dutch side, i can't see why he would pick as number one for United. Rumours we do want him though, as backup.

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »

I don't know about that, sure he didn't play him for the national team.

Tom Sherwood has said on SSN that he wants to sign Cleverly for Villa.

Happy Days!

Tom Sherwood has said on SSN that he wants to sign Cleverly for Villa.

Happy Days!

He'll be out of contract for United either way. ;)

He'll be out of contract for United either way. ;)

If Martinez is staying at Everton, and I presume he will be, then Cleverley will end up there I reckon. Unless Sherwood has made a massive impession on Chunks.

Cleverley wants to sign for Everton, and last I heard they want him - but they wanted him on the cheap which is why he didn't end up there last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Any one know how long Lloris has left on contract?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fenix wrote: »
    If Madrid want De Gea, put up Bale, simple as that. Shouldn't get bullied into selling like we were with Ronaldo, if he goes it has to be on our terms.

Bale took enough **** of their idiot fans this year to want a return.

De Gea has a year left on his contract. His value isn't even a quarter of Bales.
    And we got a world record £80m paid upfront from Madrid after CR had signed a new contract. Utd got exactly what the wanted from a player who wanted to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It would be such a united thing to do to pay more for Lloris than we get for the outgoing De Gea

He has over 4 years left on his contract Spurs will take us to the cleaners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

I find it odd some people suggesting they wouldn't mind if we sold De Gea and got Bale. We will be £60+ million down and still have to replace one of the best keepers in the world. I'd happily not get Bale or Ronaldo, hold onto De Gea and sign Depay.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I find it odd some people suggesting they wouldn't mind if we sold De Gea and got Bale. We will be £60+ million down and still have to replace one of the best keepers in the world. I'd happily not get Bale or Ronaldo, hold onto De Gea and sign Depay.

if we were getting Ronaldo, I would personally fly de gea to Madrid if he was part of the deal... 50 goals + for the past 5 consecutive seasons and we would probably mean us winning the title as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Realistically at the top clubs keepers don't really have a whole lot to do except for maybe 3/4 times a match then the rest is bread and butter stuff. Get our defense sorted and organised and it won't matter a whole bunch if we get a lesser keeper in, hypothetically. We can throw Bangkok in goals.

You know things are going well around here when a hypothetical situation is getting so much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.givemesport.com/565568-manchester-united-considered-manuel-neuer-as-david-de-gea-alternative

Eric Steele talking about the decision to pick De Gea for the United goalkeeping job:
    “We asked all the full-time scouts over the world to put forward their best goalkeeper. There were obviously other candidates; Manuel Neuer in Germany, Hugo Lloris and Steve Mandanda in France, Sergio Romero the Argentinian No 1.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Hopefully Ander and Juan can keep big Dave here. But I fear that his missus is swaying him back to Madrid.

Right, here's the plan.

Sign John Terry.

John Terry does his thing (to De Gea's missus).

De Gea dumps her.

She goes home to Madrid.

De Gea signs a new long term contract and never wants to go to Madrid again in his life.

Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't realise De Gea only had one year left on contract, i thought it was two.

Which begs the question, why did we let one of the worlds most promising young footballers, a player who was always a danger of being targeted by the big Spanish clubs, get to a stage where he only has one year left on his contract? Why wasn't this sorted last summer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I didn't realise De Gea only had one year left on contract, i thought it was two.

Which begs the question, why did we let one of the worlds most promising young footballers get to a stage where he only has one year left on his contract? Why wasn't this sorted last summer?

The word is that Moyes was working on it, but after he got sacked everything go put on hold until Van Gaal came in a decided who he wanted to keep. After that I don't know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

if we were getting Ronaldo, I would personally fly de gea to Madrid if he was part of the deal... 50 goals + for the past 5 consecutive seasons and we would probably mean us winning the title as well

While I would love to see Ronaldo wear the United jersey again. He is coming towards the end of his career and only has 2-3 years at most at his current level. De Gea has the possibility of staying 15 years. Leaving the financials of it aside, I would prefer to have De Gea over Ronaldo.
    Realistically at the top clubs keepers don't really have a whole lot to do except for maybe 3/4 times a match then the rest is bread and butter stuff. Get our defense sorted and organised and it won't matter a whole bunch if we get a lesser keeper in, hypothetically. We can throw Bangkok in goals.

You know things are going well around here when a hypothetical situation is getting so much attention.

I can understand not really minding having a top class goalkeeper against the smaller teams (I don't personally agree with it) but for a team that harbours the ambition of winning the Champions League again, you need a top class keeper to compete with the likes of Barca etc. Unfortunately I couldn't see us beating any of those teams with Bangkok in goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Right, here's the plan.

Sign John Terry.

John Terry does his thing (to De Gea's missus).

De Gea dumps her.

She goes home to Madrid.

De Gea signs a new long term contract and never wants to go to Madrid again in his life.

Sorted.

Have u seen his missus I don't think we would need sign jt for him to do her,

While I would love to see Ronaldo wear the United jersey again. He is coming towards the end of his career and only has 2-3 years at most at his current level. De Gea has the possibility of staying 15 years. Leaving the financials of it aside, I would prefer to have De Gea over Ronaldo.

that's 150 goals in 3 seasons "at his current level" and then for the next 3 years after that he can score 30 goals a season as an out and out striker.. legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ronaldo could easily play until he's 40. Has all the technical ability to play striker or even creative midfielder or at #10.

Source is Marca. Throw it in the 'bullsh*t' pile.

Source is Marca. Throw it in the 'bullsh*t' pile.

In Max I trust.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement