Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I say one more German will be coming along with Gundogan. Hopefully it's Hummels!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Until i see a comment from united, i'm still assuming it is all crap - or Madrid or someone are going to swoop in for him...

Will be very interesting if true, as Woodward was apparently doing some briefing the other day and Gundogan wasn't mentioned at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can we sneak Shinji back in Gundogan's luggage?

#FreeShinji

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If this is true and Sky Sports Deutschland are correct with €30m then that's ~£21m ... beautiful!

iR12jcZn18j7R.gif

If it is 21 million, then that is some very tidy business done by Utd. Good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Price is probably right given his injury history. Wasn't he near retirement last season?

Delighted if true though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

£21.5m excellent business if he can retain his fitness.

The year BVB played real madrid in the champions league semi final (I think) Gündogan absolutely bossed the game, he was outstanding in both legs and I remember saying at the time Utd should go all out to get him. Still only 24 too, I love the signing.

Also, he snubbed arsenal for us, which is always nice.

I do however think if we were going to go for Hummels this summer we would try and do the business at the same time and announce both at the same time. Might be me being foolish but I reckon we could go for Laporte instead. Win win either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He is out of contract in 2016 so £21m (if its true etc etc) is about right.

x_ab0607d3.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sitting here, feeling all like...

g48JWui.gif

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Only just got in from work and seen the Gundogan story.

Man I love these surprises Ed springs on us.*

*(if all is true)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

CDYc8neUUAANQQ4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not sure where Gundogan would fit into the utd team at the moment.

irishfeen wrote: »

Ha, that is brilliant. Actual 'banter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Gundogan can stay in top shape then he'd be a great addition. But given his career threatening back trouble I'd be very wary. He has only made 18 starts in the league this season. I'd also be wary of buying another Dortmund player. I'm not convinced that Kagawa ever reached the energy levels playing for United that he had demonstrated at Dortmund.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

I'd say he is going to fill in and adjust to the cdm role to replace carrick who is nearly 34.

Headshot wrote: »
    Nice to have options (IF we sign him). He can play in any of the 3 midfield roles of the 433. Where he would end up depends on whether we make anymore signings in CM, and what we do with Di Maria.

Could ARGUABLY be:
    Gundogan
    ----Herrera
    Di Maria
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

You could obviously have Fellaini where Di Maria is, Gundogan where Herrera is, Carrick/Blind where Gundogan is etc. Let the best player play, I suppose.

At the moment we are very short in midfield, as evidenced by Rooneys runs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

HE FEELS THE LOVE

tumblr_mmv56fOnJM1qhrp3xo1_r1_250.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ha, that is brilliant. Actual 'banter'.

After the Swansea game on March 16th when LFC limped to an undeserved victory, just before the ad break after the game, he was standing with the smuggest of smug looks on his face, Id have given my right bollock to smush a dirty nappy into his face.

Delighted to see how its working out for them.

Pro. F wrote: »
    If Gundogan can stay in top shape then he'd be a great addition. But given his career threatening back trouble I'd be very wary. He has only made 18 starts in the league this season. I'd also be wary of buying another Dortmund player. I'm not convinced that Kagawa ever reached the energy levels playing for United that he had demonstrated at Dortmund.
    I would imagine that's why we are only paying £21m (considering his injury troubles) ... he's only 24 - I think its a risk well worth taking!

• Advertisement

Nice to have options (IF we sign him). He can play in any of the 3 midfield roles of the 433. Where he would end up depends on whether we make anymore signings in CM, and what we do with Di Maria.

Could ARGUABLY be:
    Gundogan
    ----Herrera
    Di Maria
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

You could obviously have Fellaini where Di Maria is, Gundogan where Herrera is, Carrick/Blind where Gundogan is etc. Let the best player play, I suppose.

At the moment we are very short in midfield, as evidenced by Rooneys runs there.

Just put Hummels and maybe Cylne and we're sorted in terms of first team. Then we just fill in the players who might leave or squad players. Hopefully de gea will stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd imagine Van Gaal wants to go to his 4-2-3-1.

That'd mean we'd have Carrick/Gundogan/Herrera for the base, Depay and Di Maria (Young backup if Di Maria returns to form) on wings with Herrera/Mata/Fellaini able to play behind the striker. It'd mean for the first time in ages we have multiple options in midfield which is brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It'd mean for the first time in ages we have multiple options in midfield which is brilliant.

You look at the squads Bayern and Real could put out when hit with an injury "crisis", they still have squads that could dominate us. Happy to see us expand our options.

I would imagine that's why we are only paying £21m (considering his injury troubles) ... he's only 24 - I think its a risk well worth taking!

Only £21m for a player with a career threatening back problem? Doesn't sound like much of discount to me. Maybe the talk of his back trouble was overhyped. If that's the case then it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Only £21m for a player with a career threatening back problem? Doesn't sound like much of discount to me. Maybe the talk of his back trouble was overhyped. If that's the case then it makes sense.

When Utd are involved teams always add on another 5-10 million.

£20.5 by some accounts in England now :) ... you have to remember we are living in the David Luiz €62m world now - as I say I think its a risk worth taking.

niallo27 wrote: »

So true. Fellaini in my opinion should of cost around 15 million and we paid 27 million when the buyout was 23 million

Oh wait...

utdreport.com ‏@UtdReport

Gundogan to United is NOT a done deal just yet. [bild via @BL_LatestEN]

niallo27 wrote: »

Because we keep overpaying for players by £5-10m. It is possible to break that cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Can @UtdReport be banned from this thread?

• Advertisement

Oh wait...

utdreport.com ‏@UtdReport

Gundogan to United is NOT a done deal just yet. [bild via @BL_LatestEN]
    It would be like something that would happen...

Ha its gone from on-screen on Sky Sports UK... I'll check the Germans

EDIT ... Still with the SSND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Because we keep overpaying for players by £5-10m. It is possible to break that cycle.

All the top teams do it though. Liverpool tried not to overpay few years back and ended up losing out on a lot of their targets. Smaller clubs will always hold out for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Keno wrote: »
    Back injuries are very scary.

I'd only take him if he agrees to go to the pit from the 'Dark Knight Rises' and escape, a la Bruce Wayne post back break.

The German rises.

"Your punishment medical must be more severe."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

As a United supporter with a Dortmund season ticket living in Germany, Im pretty happy with this. Gundogan is great player and I have a feeling he will make a nice position for himself at United.

Hes a great feeder of the ball. I remember watching him playing for Nurnberg in about 2009 and was surprised at his quality. Id say its pretty much adone deal now

#Gündogan trending in the UK, Ireland and Germany on twitter - Amazing the way an unconfirmed story about United becomes absolutely massive.

#Gündogan trending in the UK, Ireland and Germany on twitter - Amazing the way an unconfirmed story about United becomes absolutely massive.
    Tends to only happen when its a headline on Sky News though.

I saw on Twitter the other day and I **** you not..
    It was one of these "CLASS SOCCERFACTLOLZ" Twitter pages.

"Christian Bale closing in on record breaking signing for Chelsea"

Yes. Christian Bale.

I wonder sometimes do people make money from that sh¨t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Your punishment medical must be more severe."

347v33s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Can Gundogan play CDM? Anytime I've seen him play he seems best further forward, is he not a very similar player to Herrera?

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Can Gundogan play CDM? Anytime I've seen him play he seems best further forward, is he not a very similar player to Herrera?
    I have no doubt once his injuries are sorted that he can play CDM. His passing and strength is just as good as anyone IMO.

That said, He was originally bought to replace Nuri Sahin when he went to Madrid.

TBH, I know this opinion will be hated by many but im happy either way once Carrick goes in the bin. Heh heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Interesting to see how this progresses. SSN pushing it big time at the moment. Great to see business being done early if this is indeed true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I know nothing about back injuries but I suspect United medical team do and wouldn't give the go ahead of signing him for 20 odd million if there's a possibility he's a crock given we've been stung before

Gundogan could go on to be one of the best midfielders in the world

Jamie Carragher

b57ff78210fd5626f23dd81f1037b4eb.jpg

CDYtd1TWYAAmr6c.png:large

Just threw on the news here and they are basically saying its a done deal here in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Has anyone seen FutureGuy?

Just threw on the news here and they are basically saying its a done deal here in Germany.
    Sky Sport Germany or someone else?

Sky Sport Germany or someone else?
    Sky Sports Germany is reporting the exact same info as Sky everywhere else in the world.

This was on ARD sports news awhile ago, they were basically saying that someone from the Dortmund camp has confirmed it will go ahead and I believe thats why SKY and all others have jumped on now. Sky usually jump on the wagon ONLY if there is a reliable source (well for their sports news anyway..Their normal news is poo).

Sky Sports Germany is reporting the exact same info as Sky everywhere else in the world.

This was on ARD sports news awhile ago, they were basically saying that someone from the Dortmund camp has confirmed it will go ahead and I believe thats why SKY and all others have jumped on now. Sky usually jump on the wagon ONLY if there is a reliable source (well for their sports news anyway..Their normal news is poo).
    Ya there seemed to be journalists in Germany running the story a few hours before Sky Sports Deutschland broke the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lol at people getting upset at Carragher clearly taking the piss :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement