Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    I would adore a striker that has pace to burn.

I really feel sometimes I'm banging a drum to an obsessive degree, but I really do think Rooney is not the top level player some make him out to be, and we could desperately, desperately do with a significantly better striker up front....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I really feel sometimes I'm banging a drum to an obsessive degree, but I really do think Rooney is not the top level player some make him out to be, and we could desperately, desperately do with a significantly better striker up front....

You and me are always on the same page about that. He is liability for us. We need a striker that will take us to the next level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

adox wrote: »
    Valencia. :mad:

Cant critique him many think he is playing very well he isnt a problem at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

As bad as the result may be, Smalling has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

As bad as the result may be, Smalling has been great.

Shaw has been excellent as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ref has been atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well done Val, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Mars Bar wrote: »
    :confused:

Too many good results since friday, the fcuk up had to come.

I hate Everton so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Last two games have undone a lot of the great results we had of late.

Making life unnecessary hard for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

So thats the end of Valencia as a RB then?

Poor result now we need max points against palace and west brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

KH25 wrote: »

Backup RB maybe, but he is absolutely definitely not a first choice RB. Or a RW. And there isn't a queue for his services so some use for him has to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

KH25 wrote: »

How many times have we said that?

One man team.

No Carrick, no party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I don't think I've ever found a player who consistently started for United that annoys and infuriates me more then Valencia

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Carrrick hurry back please.

J. Marston wrote: »
    One man team.

No Carrick, no party.

Does go to show how badly we need to sign a replacement DM for Carrick who can go straight into the team as first choice next season. Carrick has been available for only half the games this season. That will get worse and worse as he gets older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rubbish performance. Need a striker as much as any other position this Summer. Rooney has as many awful games as he has good, Falcao wouldn't get a game in League 2 in his form and van Persie has age and fitness issues against him.
    Pathetic up front, reminiscent of the bad times we had for a long part of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Last weeks defeat had so many positives.

This is just a bit depressing. Football by numbers without any pace or cutting edge.

This team need to be careful on the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Even if we played them for a wet week we didn't look like scoring today.
    Valencia- atrocious.
    Young very blunt in attack, Coleman had him in his pocket all game.
    Smalling was solid at the back.
    Mata and Herrera pretty quiet out there today. No spark at all once in the last 3rd.

Di Maria and Falcao well.. decision making and passing both very poor.

Feckin' Everton and the smug head on Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

If it wasn't clear before (it was) it is clear now that Carrick is the heartbeat of this team and without him we're completely toothless. We could have played all evening and still wouldn't have scored. It is of utmost importance that we buy someone for Carrick's position in the summer (and we will). Blind is a squad player at best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I mean....what can you say.

Defence was horrid. Once again, Valencia gets caught napping for goals. Rooney was utterly anonymous, as he has been for weeks now, and hurt himself tackling a ****ing teammate! No point dominating possession if we have no penetration. McNair, Smalling, Herrera and Blind all had a game they'll want to move on from quickly.

Some players seem to think "It looks good for forth, so that's the season over" then. After Pool, Spurs and Southampton dropped points, this was a good chance to seal things up, but no. Let's make things harder than they need to be. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The importance of Carrick cannot be overstated. He's like a keystone that keeps all the others in place. Signing a longterm replacement for him should be our no.1 priority.

Today's game needs to be put behind us fast. It has been a seriously disappointing performance with some particularly shocking individual performances by Valencia, Young, Rooney and to a lesser extent Blind.

We're very very lucky that Liverpool are so toothless at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This is always going to happen against a team set up to counter until we improve the pace in the team up front and in the wide positions.

Carrick is a massive loss in a game like this. Although he and Blind have similar levels of athleticism, Carrick is so much better at reading the game and cutting off counters.

As an aside, this is made worse by the fact that I really dislike Martinez

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Feckin' Everton and the smug head on Martinez.

In fairness, Martinez could be excused for being smug. Wasn't there a lot of general enjoyment of his and Evertons troubles earlier this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Rubbish performance. Need a striker as much as any other position this Summer. Rooney has as many awful games as he has good, Falcao wouldn't get a game in League 2 in his form and van Persie has age and fitness issues against him.
    Pathetic up front, reminiscent of the bad times we had for a long part of the season.

Ha ur a funny man, blaming strikers but giving defenders a free pass, ligue 2 ya brilliant doubt he'd get a game in the saudi third division, RVP played about 5 mins when 3 down could have no effect on the game as i said ur a funny man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I mean....what can you say.

Defence was horrid. Once again, Valencia gets caught napping for goals. Rooney was utterly anonymous, as he has been for weeks now, and hurt himself tackling a ****ing teammate! No point dominating possession if we have no penetration. McNair, Smalling, Herrera and Blind all had a game they'll want to move on from quickly.

Some players seem to think "It looks good for forth, so that's the season over" then. After Pool, Spurs and Southampton dropped points, this was a good chance to seal things up, but no. Let's make things harder than they need to be. :rolleyes:

Smalling was excellent to be fair, get off his back. There was far worse out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Valencia was horrible today, Fellainin shda scored at 1 - 0. Rooney and the wingers were pure muck today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Today was a not so gentle reminder that there is a lot of work still to do with this team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I said it before and i'll say it again. Without carrick in the team, we are nothing and hopefully this summer that can change by bringing in some quality game changing players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ha ur a funny man, blaming strikers but giving defenders a free pass, ligue 2 ya brilliant doubt he'd get a game in the saudi third division, RVP played about 5 mins when 3 down could have no effect on the game as i said ur a funny man

Who did I give a free pass to? Stop talking bollox. I said Valencia wasn't the biggest problem at half time, I didn't say he played well or anything. So to reiterate, stop talking bollox.

And what I said about RvP has nothing to do with today, maybe read a post before opening your mouth to unload your verbal diarrhoea.

Depressing, hope mathematical secure top 4 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That was absolutely fcuking shít... terrible performance from a number of players.. McNair, Valencia, Herrera, Rooney brutal... I hope LVG rips the head off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

"Possession is like having a bunch of keys and not knowing which one works...............United without Carrick."

So true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I dont think carrck is that great its just the alternatives are so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Smalling was excellent to be fair, get off his back. There was far worse out there today.

Excellent? No. The worst, no. I do feel that Smalling could have done more to help a struggling McNair. Evans would have made a big difference today, Fellaini being taken off was a mistake. No urgency at all too. Not sure who to blame exactly as everyone wasn't at the races but people blaming the likes of Falcao are clueless, how many touches did he have in the final third?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Rooney was nowhere to be seen today? Our captain, where were the tackles etc horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The good : Shaw beginning to show why we paid so much for him,he's gonna be a beast. Smalling decent again.

The bad : everything else, we desperately need a 20+ goals a season player.

On the bright side, we still only need 8 points from the next 4 games assuming everyone else takes 100% points, which they wont. West Brom, Crystal Palace and Hull City should secure those points, and Arsenal at home is certainly something the team can take points from.

• Advertisement

The good : Shaw beginning to show why we paid so much for him,he's gonna be a beast. Smalling decent again.

The bad : everything else, we desperately need a 20+ goals a season player.

cough cough depay cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The only good thing that can come from that game is it might re-stoke the fire and make the players realise that champions league football can still be thrown away. where was the intensity and speed of passing that we have seen over the past 2 months?

Back to back defeats can cause doubt to creep in. We need to steamroll West Brom next week at OT.

I'd say LVG will be livid after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I hope we play McNair at rb for the rest of the season.
    Well assuming one of Jones/Rojo are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Sand wrote: »
    West Brom, Crystal Palace and Hull City should secure those points, and Arsenal at home is certainly something the team can take points from.

Theres nothing sure at this point in a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that was a whole lot of ****e today. Absolutely nobody performed well today really. Was happy enough with smalling again today.

Rooney was completely anonymous once again. The early yellow to fellaini really disrupted his game.

Really annoying having all this possession and doing fcuk all with it. Fellaini missing that handy chance was critical too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Btw good time to bump ManUtd vs Liverpool thread? Forgot the title though, it was regarding who will finish higher.

not really!
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Don't anyone fcuking jinx it now ...

Ah a wise man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

****ing joke today. We can't break teams down when they park the bus and once again looked incredibly dodgy in defence when the other team are countering.

As strange as it sounds West Brom next week is a huge game now.

After that performance, you just can't be confident for the 'easy' games such as west brom and hull.

We are playing a possession game and have been doing so for a number of weeks with not too much change coming to the system. Not suprised the Mourinho caught on to how to break it down and defeat it but other clubs seeing today's performance will know exactly what and what not to do to defeat LVG 'philosophy' game.

It upset me that we have players like Falcao, RVP, Di Maria on the bench and players like Mata, Rooney, Fellaini and Young on the pitch yet the football today was so boring and tiresome with no change in style at any point.

Theres nothing sure at this point in a season

Of course not, but both Liverpool and Spurs would crawl over a half mile of broken glass to be in our situation at this point of the season rather than theirs. Today was a bad result, but if it knocks out the sense of complacency (both amongst the players and on transfer policy this summer) then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

such a load of ****...what ever about rooney and falcao under preforming. If were playing a possession game how can he expect to get a clear opportunity up front..down 2-0 and we never really changed our tactics, even after bringing falcao and di maria on there is a clear lack of motivation for creating chances on the final third. Im not blaming the players. Its the system that LVG is playing, you can see it in Herrera especially, hes always looking for space to have a crack or for someone to play a one two off the pocket and then instinctively passes it out wide...for a cross. Its almost as if they want to be creative and all of a sudden we switch on the same system of floating the ball outside the box. I cant see any top striker wanting to play up front if hes not gonna see much of the ball

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement