Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Commentators on Rte said the buy out clause was 20 mil during the week, not really sure if that adds to or takes away from truthfullness of the story mind.

Could buy half a Falcao with that sort of money ;)

Wouldn't mind him coming back though, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    RVP seems in the wane, Danny Welbz is gone, Falcao will also be gone....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

anybody else think that De Geas performances have dropped considerably in recent weeks?

I think that we're so used to seeing wondersaves and MOTM preformances, that when he has an off day or two (as happens every player), it feels more obvious. :/

That said, I feel he gets exposed by our defense way, way too often; there's only so much you can do when the players in front of you let opposition players get 1 on 1.

I wonder will De Gea be able to organise a defence and become truly world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's still a weakness in his game the way he stays on his line. Not just for crosses but yesterday when defenders were trying to Shepard the ball back to him he didn't come out at all. Does that quite regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ok, lots of players individually had bad games.

Any theories as to why they got even worse in the second half, when they should have been busting a gut ?

Falcao came on, and all credit to him, but that's like playing with 10 men this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wonder will De Gea be able to organise a defence

We'd have to give him one first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ok, lots of players individually had bad games.

Any theories as to why they got even worse in the second half, when they should have been busting a gut ?

Everton just sat deeper and deeper? we had almost 70% of possession in second half.

add in Falcao being clean useless and Young being left on the pitch, Rooney into CM, you have your reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Julien Laurent reckons Lloris has a €20m to release clause in his contract if one of the top 4 teams comes in for him.

• Good to be back..but kinda not after that weekend....
    Michael Carrick missing is killing us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Falcao looked like a lost dog yesterday. It was sad to watch, even as United fan its sad to see legend of the game look so hopeless.

I defended him for while, but yesterday was hard to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

lol @ reddit post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

LVG seems to struggle with the concept of a parked bus, it's happened 7 or 8 times this season that a team has just sat back and with all of our possession we've looked clueless as to how to go about breaking through. And then post game Van Gaal points to how much possession we've had as if it's a massive positive when in reality it is an insignificant fact, having more possession isn't progress when you try break down a super defensive team if you aren't creating any chances.

In a game of fetch the dog holds most of the ball but that doesn't mean he's in control, next season we have to have a plan worked out to beat these teams. Chelsea have done it when it mattered this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Have no sympathy for Falcao. He chose to leave Athletico when he had everything going for him. Went to Monaco for a pay cheque. Now looks like an average striker getting a fortune to play for Manchester United. I doubt he cries himself to sleep. He'll be fine wherever he ends up after United.

On De Gea, I love the guy as a goalie but I barely flinched when Ronaldo left so I won't be too cut up about it. If he left and it helped us get Gareth Bale and possibly signing Lloris as a replacement I will be delighted. De Gea is a fantastic shot stopper but he is limited in other areas. I'd be happy keeping him for the rest of his career but if he wants to go somewhere else then I'm happy for him to go.

• Falcao looked like a lost dog yesterday. It was sad to watch, even as United fan its sad to see legend of the game look so hopeless.

He was void of any meaningful supply though. Continuous slow build up with no penetration of the defense. So easy to defend against. This was the problem we had before Carrick came back into the side earlier in the season. It's become even more blatently obvious how critical he is to Utd.

Carrick releases the ball quicker to the likes of Herrera and Mata and brings them into the game. They hardly done a thing all game Sunday.

Blind has disappointed me. He's solid in the centre nothing more. We get much more use out of him on left but the thing is Shaw has put in two solid performances (Which is probably the only positive I can take from the last two weeks) so who is first choice for that position, I just don't know.

I hope we get out of this on Saturday we bloody need a plan B if Carrick doesn't play.
    Sunday we looked a like a team that had already wrapped up fourth place. Absolutely no hunger.

A far cry from when I was at the Villa match only a few weeks ago, atmosphere was electric and all the team were playing well with bags of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Falcao looked like a lost dog yesterday. It was sad to watch, even as United fan its sad to see legend of the game look so hopeless.

I wouldn't quite call him a legend of the game:D but your right hes just not up to the standards we expect and will be gone this summer. LVG should put a bid in for Gonzalo Higuain. Reckon he could do decent job in the PL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

LVG seems to struggle with the concept of a parked bus, it's happened 7 or 8 times this season that a team has just sat back and with all of our possession we've looked clueless as to how to go about breaking through. And then post game Van Gaal points to how much possession we've had as if it's a massive positive when in reality it is an insignificant fact, having more possession isn't progress when you try break down a super defensive team if you aren't creating any chances.

In a game of fetch the dog holds most of the ball but that doesn't mean he's in control, next season we have to have a plan worked out to beat these teams. Chelsea have done it when it mattered this season.

I seem to remember that was Mourinho's biggest problem in his first season back and that bit of extra quality in Fabregas and costa seemed to do the trick in the first half of the season at least.

Bit of luck helps too if Rooney and Fellaini get us in front in either of our last two games we are talking a lot different now but thats the varience of football I guess.

Few quality signings in the summer and a squad with a whole preseason under the manager and I do think we will be challenging next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    What point were you trying to make with the three if sentences?

Never mind. I'll just point out to you that Falcao being fouled, Herrera not tracking the run and DDG not being off his line quick enough (wrong anyway) are all irrelevant to the question of whether or not Valencia did his defending correctly. He did not.

The original discussion was whether or not Valencia was at fault for the goal, you are now moving the goalposts to suit your own argument

Daniel Levy is laughing at you all for thinking Lloris has a 14 million buyout clause

Laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Daniel Levy is laughing at you all for thinking Lloris has a 14 million buyout clause

Laughing

Could quite possibly happen that Lloris will cost us more than we get for De Gea, very likely actually.

dahat wrote: »
    Could quite possibly happen that Lloris will cost us more than we get for De Gea, very likely actually.

Multiple Champions League winner Victor Valdes says hi

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

There's no possibly about it :pac: it 100% will cost us more if that's the road we go down I've no doubt

Multiple Champions League winner Victor Valdes says hi

Multiple title and champions league winner Anderson says hola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Why are people so down on Valdes? He's not as bad as people are making out at all imo.

I think he could surprise a few people if he played regularly.

There might be better options available if De Gea has to be replaced, but Valdes is still a high quality player that could step in if a long term GK isn't immediately found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Rooney was just as bad and hes our captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've already come to terms with De Gea being gone. As far as I'm concerned it's already happened. It will make it easier when confirmation arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nolars wrote: »

Can you tell me what Rooney specifically was doing poorly or not doing enough of when he was up front?

#15 wrote: »
    Why are people so down on Valdes? He's not as bad as people are making out at all imo.

I think he could surprise a few people if he played regularly.

There might be better options available if De Gea has to be replaced, but Valdes is still a high quality player that could step in if a long term GK isn't immediately found.

I think it's a combination of losing a young world class keeper that could have been our number 1 for the next 10+ years to be potentially replaced by an aging keeper who is still isn't proven after a serious injury. A keeper who I never rated as being world class. Little bit too error prone too.

It couldn't come at a worse time either, he's only got 1 year left on his contract so we'll get less for him. Madrid would be crazy not to go for him. We should have attempted to renew his contract last year.

bangkok wrote: »
    The original discussion was whether or not Valencia was at fault for the goal, you are now moving the goalposts to suit your own argument

Valencia was at fault for the goal, by not doing his defending correctly. This is very simple, stop confusing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I've already come to terms with De Gea being gone. As far as I'm concerned it's already happened. It will make it easier when confirmation arrives.

A replacement for De Gea, Kasper Peter Schmeichel

A late developer who like his father will have a long and successful career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasper_Schmeichel

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Nolars wrote: »

Slightly unfair on Rooney, seems to be used as a scapegoat when things go wrong. His form has been good and he provides the most movement from the strike force we have available to us.

He wasn't getting the supply he needed simple as. I have been watching him closely over the last couple of games and looks like he's not dropping deep as much which is a good thing.

I hate to keep repeating myself though without Carrick the build up play is just to slow. And this has an effect on multiple players playing in front of Carrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The most important contribution Carrick has to this team IMO is what he enables the players around him to do. When Carrick is sitting in front of the back 4 we are a far more effective defensive unit - his reading of the game, interceptions, airial ability etc give the centre halves a bit more of a safety net. Players like Herrera, Mata, Fellaini then have more license to move into advanced pockets of space to receive the ball because they don't have as much defensive responsibility. This in turn means opposition midfielders are pulled out of position to help offer their own defenders cover. All this results in Carrick getting extra space around him which allows him to really shine and set the tempo.

In the past Carrick has had his fair amount of critics, myself among them, but his importance to our current system is there for all to see. Whenever he has been out, more than any other Utd player,I've always found myself feeling a hell of a lot more anxious about the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The only question really is how much more we will pay Spurs for Lloris than we get from Madrid for De Gea!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have the whispers from yesterday about Lloris having a 20million CL club release fee been debunked?

have the whispers from yesterday about Lloris having a 20million CL club release fee been debunked?

You'd be surprised if Lloris didn't have such a clause.

DDG's reactions and body language suggest to me that he has some clauses of his own, he seems to be very enthusiastic for a guy who is apparently on his way..... or maybe he is just staying!!! Which would be great.

I reckon somethng Ronaldo like, a gentlemans agreement that if we get in the CL he'll be allowed go to Spain...something along those lines.

line up for next season

Valdes

new rb Smalling new cb Shaw

Carrick

Mata
    Herrera
    di Maria----Bale

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

line up for next season

Valdes

Carrick

Mata
    Herrera
    di Maria----Bale

Rooney

Need a new DM, preferably one that will be first choice as Carrick is at the age where injuries are keeping him out much longer.

Gundogan/Illarahmendi would be my choices.

line up for next season

Valdes

Carrick

Mata
    Herrera
    di Maria----Bale

Rooney

Valencia is here to stay, as a right back, and we should just deal with it.

I think he's better than decent as a right back and is only going to get better with experience there. I have a feeling LVG loves him too.
    Also you have Bale and ADM ahead of the most attacking of left backs in Shaw....that won't happen either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

line up for next season

Valdes

Carrick

Mata
    Herrera
    di Maria----Bale

Rooney

Dont think carrick has another year of first choice player in him, not because he aint good enough but his body aint up to it and the club would be foolish not to replace him now instead of having to fit someone else in team next year when he is out injured. He would be brilliant to be used sparingly.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Need a new DM, preferably one that will be first choice as Carrick is at the age where injuries are keeping him out much longer.

Gundogan/Illarahmendi would be my choices.

not many players better than Carrick right now, when fully fit that should be the starting 11. Illarahmendi is not good enough, gundogan would be on the bench but would be long term successor to Carrick if signed.

• Advertisement

Valencia was at fault for the goal, by not doing his defending correctly. This is very simple, stop confusing yourself.

you are wrong, Falcao lost the first ball, Herrera didn't track his man and yet you think it is Valencia's fault for the goal? Did you ever think sometimes no one is at fault for the goal and it was just a great goal? You don't need to blame somebody for every goal that is scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Happy Birthday to the special Juan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

you are wrong, Falcao lost the first ball, Herrera didn't track his man and yet you think it is Valencia's fault for the goal? Did you ever think sometimes no one is at fault for the goal and it was just a great goal? You don't need to blame somebody for every goal that is scored.

It was de geas fault. He let the ball go past him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would ye not be better off going after Cech?

Hes 33 in May but hes proven at EPL and hes better than Valdes. VDS signed for Utd at what, 35? Theres no reason that Cech couldnt pull a 4/5 year stint at Utd too.

He'd also stop ye blowing ye're bo**ocks on Lloris as everyone knows what Levy is like for dealing with transfers.

Cech would probably be available for between 7-10million which is still cheaper than Lloris if the buy out clause is true, only stumbling block is would Jose sell him to Utd, I'd think he probably would, I mean LVG has a better chance of getting him than say Wenger, thats if Cech wanted to stay in the EPL though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would prefer Lloris over Cech - more chance to be a proper long term solution. Would like us to take a look at Handanovic at Inter too.

Fear it is going to be Valdes with Krul as competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Happy Birthday to the special Juan!

i never knew i shared my birthday with him i feel so honoured. happy birthday you beautiful man :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Big Congrats to Liverpool today, they finally won some silverware........

25th Anniversary of their last League win :D

you are wrong, Falcao lost the first ball, Herrera didn't track his man and yet you think it is Valencia's fault for the goal?

Yes I do. This might blow your mind, but other players also being at fault for a goal does not preclude the case of Valencia being at fault. It is possible for more than one player to be at fault for a goal.

You should not need this to be pointed out to you.
    Did you ever think sometimes no one is at fault for the goal and it was just a great goal? You don't need to blame somebody for every goal that is scored.

This argument contradicts the one in your first sentence. Are you saying it was nobodies fault or are you saying it was Falcao/the ref and Herrera's fault?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Would ye not be better off going after Cech?

I know it's stupid but I associate him so, so much with Chelsea that it would be really weird seeing him at United. Plus I can imagine that there'd be a subset of people annoyed at us buying another "Jose Reject" :P

Yes I do. This might blow your mind, but other players also being at fault for a goal does not preclude the case of Valencia being at fault. It is possible for more than one player to be at fault for a goal.

You should not need this to be pointed out to you.

This argument contradicts the one in your first sentence. Are you saying it was nobodies fault or are you saying it was Falcao/the ref and Herrera's fault?

I don't think anybody was a fault to be honest, I just think it was a great well worked goal that should just be admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I can imagine that there'd be a subset of people annoyed at us buying another "Jose Reject" :P

He'd be another luxury player, who needs a goalkeeper anyway?
    If Jose doesn't want him then he's obviously useless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement