Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    I don't think anybody was a fault to be honest, I just think it was a great well worked goal that should just be admired.

Cool. I disagree.

Bye now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would prefer Lloris over Cech - more chance to be a proper long term solution. Would like us to take a look at Handanovic at Inter too.

Fear it is going to be Valdes with Krul as competition.

If he didn't play Krul for Holland behind an average keeper why do you think he would try sign him for United other than him being Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Would prefer Lloris over Cech - more chance to be a proper long term solution. Would like us to take a look at Handanovic at Inter too.

Fear it is going to be Valdes with Krul as competition.

Just because Van Gaal is Dutch doesn't mean he will sign only Dutch players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I was thinking a few weeks ago that it was actually stupid of him not to sign more Dutch lads in the summer. How much trouble would Janmaat and De Vrij saved this season for less than 15m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I know it's stupid but I associate him so, so much with Chelsea that it would be really weird seeing him at United. Plus I can imagine that there'd be a subset of people annoyed at us buying another "Jose Reject" :P

100% clean sheet record in the league, hes worth easily 30million :o

Liam O wrote: »
    I was thinking a few weeks ago that it was actually stupid of him not to sign more Dutch lads in the summer. How much trouble would Janmaat and De Vrij saved this season for less than 15m?

I was big fan of De Vrij, loved his performance in the world cup and I said many times that we should sign De Vrij as our long term CB and for less than 10 Million it was easy decision.

Not sure on Janmaat. I was not impressed. Good that we didn't go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From what I am reading, Krul is a player United are looking at. I don't agree that he should be, I have don't get why would we be after his second choice Dutch keeper, but seemingly he is one of the (possibly many) keepers we are looking at.

From what I am reading, Krul is a player United are looking at. I don't agree that he should be, I have don't get why would we be after his second choice Dutch keeper, but seemingly he is one of the (possibly many) keepers we are looking at.

Not a single rumor on Krul to United recently. Also I don't think Van Gaal is so dumb to sign Krul, after all like you said he wasn't even first choice GK for Netherlands team.

If De Gea leaves and if we are looking at someone playing in PL then we should go for Forster. Don't think Jose will sell Cech to us.

I was big fan of De Vrij, loved his performance in the world cup and I said many times that we should sign De Vrij as our long term CB and for less than 10 Million it was easy decision.

Not sure on Janmaat. I was not impressed. Good that we didn't go for him.

Janmaat has looked really good whenever I've seen him for Newcastle this season and in that team it's hard to look like that. Capable going forward and defending.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have not read a single article suggesting that :o where are you reading that?

• Advertisement

Janmaat has looked really good whenever I've seen him for Newcastle this season and in that team it's hard to look like that. Capable going forward and defending.

IIRC Janmaat was dropped from Netherlands team in the world cup, reason being Van Gaal thought he wasn't good on the ball.

Edit: haven't watched him for Newcastle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

+1

Janmaat has looked very impressive in that Newcastle side all season. He'll be off soon too if things don't change I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

janmaat only looks good because Newcastle are so bad. He is a good player, no where near good enough for man utd though. Probably end up at Southampton if we sign Clyne

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I have not read a single article suggesting that :o where are you reading that?

Fanzines, people who write for them that I would trust but you may not.

Maybe Krul isn't a target at all, but I believe he is. I also believe Lloris is a target, whom I would be much happier with as first choice keeper than Valdes/Krul competing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

janmaat only looks good because Newcastle are so bad. He is a good player, no where near good enough for man utd though. Probably end up at Southampton if we sign Clyne

Where does the Clyne link come from? Is it because the, I'm gonna assume, majority of fans don't like Valencia that they think we should be going for the latest flavour of the month in that position and therefore assume that we are?

As I said before, I reckon LVG loves Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

ericzeking wrote: »

I'd say he loves him a little less after the Everton game :)

Where does the Clyne link come from? Is it because the, I'm gonna assume, majority of fans don't like Valencia that they think we should be going for the latest flavour of the month in that position and therefore assume that we are?

It comes from being well speculated in the press for the last number of months, along with the fact Clyne will only have a year to run on his contract in the summer and is apparently refusing to sign a new one. David McDonnell (Mirror) was on MUTV in the last couple of weeks saying it was a done deal, though I don't know how well sourced his information is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In other news, how good has Shaw looked in his last two games? Hope he stays fit next season, could be in for a stormer!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In other news, how good has Shaw looked in his last two games? Hope he stays fit next season, could be in for a stormer!

playing with a winger in front of him helps, in comparison to the start of the season.

He now has someone to help him defensively, as well as provide a decoy on attacking runs and occupy the opposition wide men.

At the start of the season the entire attacking width was coming from the wing backs so they had little cover when they went forward, or people to link with.

• Advertisement

even if he does like Valencia LVG is not that naïve to think he doesn't need to improve the position, but I think that position is down on the list of priorities needed for the team. I don't think Valencia is great but he is having a decent season at right back.

MagicIRL wrote: »

Yes he is very good, best left back in the league last season. Potential to be best left back in the league for next 10 years.

Its funny, only 3 weeks ago, some were calling for blind to be the no1 left back for the rest of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Quandary wrote: »
    I'd say he loves him a little less after the Everton game :)

I don't think LVG looks at moments or even games in isolation, from day 1 he has very much been playing the long game.

I could be wrong, did I read somewhere that SAF said something about Valencia being very very good at doing what he is told, and that given a task he'd apply himself 100% to it, which seems to fit in very well with everything that has been said about what LVG wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Da Gea and Chico for Bale?
    Real Madrid are considering activating their purchase option to sign on-loan Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez.

Hernandez moved to the Bernabeu on a season-long loan last summer and found his first-team opportunities limited until last week, when Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was hit with several injuries to key players.

The 26-year-old has stepped up to the plate in magnificent fashion, scoring three decisive goals in two important games, and Madrid are now weighing up the possibility of signing him on a permanent basis.

According to Spanish newspaper Marca, Madrid’s purchase option, which is set at €20m, must be activated by Thursday.

However, Madrid are unwilling to meet that valuation and want to negotiate a new deadline and fee with Manchester United.

United are thought to be open to extending the deadline to allow more time for Madrid to make a decision.

Dont think their fans would complain

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Da Gea and Chico for Bale?

Dont think their fans would complain

no way will it be just de gea and chico.

De Gea will cost around 30m, I thought hernandez fee was 7m?

more than likely de gea, hernandez + 40m for bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Trond wrote: »
    Big Congrats to Liverpool today, they finally won some silverware........

25th Anniversary of their last League win :D

How do you even know this?

No wonder they claim that we're obsessed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would love Schneiderlin and Gundogan, our midfield would be solid

I think they'll get all transfers done before preseason so we won't have to wait all summer guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

no way will it be just de gea and chico.

De Gea will cost around 30m, I thought hernandez fee was 7m?

more than likely de gea, hernandez + 40m for bale

So you'd be of the opinion that after two years at Madrid, Bale has not only justified the mental money Real spent on him, but has also retained that full value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

David de Stea.

/blind hope and optimism

So you'd be of the opinion that after two years at Madrid, Bale has not only justified the mental money Real spent on him, but has also retained that full value?

bale has been class at Madrid, don't just read the negative press. has had to deal with fans booing him and playing second fiddle to Ronaldo

last season 44 games 22 goals including 1 in the champions league final and a cracker v barca in copa del rey final

this season already 43 games 17 goals

maybe wont be 40m, but that's just a guess, wont be less that 30m

• Advertisement

Amazing what football does to you - I read the word blind as (Daley) Blind now.

Bale is a presidential project. I don't see them being too keen on selling unless Bale wants to move back home (young family).

I think United would be better off looking elsewhere, and I hope we don't miss out on a player like Depay because we are hoping to sign Bale instead, and end up not getting either.

Bale is a presidential project. I don't see them being too keen on selling unless Bale wants to move back home (young family).

I think United would be better off looking elsewhere, and I hope we don't miss out on a player like Depay because we are hoping to sign Bale instead, and end up not getting either.

if we do miss out on both, we can always turn to this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCaLe2ymSM

if we do miss out on both, we can always turn to this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCaLe2ymSM

I'd like to see him brought back anyway.

Amazing what football does to you - I read the word blind as (Daley) Blind now.

You think that's bad, I was looking at how to make something yesterday and read (green) chile like (Adrian) Chiles...

Anyone with any idea about the tall GK we signed last season. Vanja milinkovic, he is 6.8 ft tall and just 18 years old :eek:

Milinkovic.jpg

Maybe a future keeper for us?

bale has been class at Madrid, don't just read the negative press. has had to deal with fans booing him and playing second fiddle to Ronaldo

last season 44 games 22 goals including 1 in the champions league final and a cracker v barca in copa del rey final

this season already 43 games 17 goals

maybe wont be 40m, but that's just a guess, wont be less that 30m

I'd be prepared to wager that he will never again command a transfer fee of £70m+.

I'd be prepared to wager that he will never again command a transfer fee of £70m+.

he will if united sign him. absolutely certain of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If someone wants Bale (Utd, Chelsea, City, Arsenal) they'll have to break the British record and I wouldnt be surprised if it was about 70-75million.

Bale hasnt got any worse since he went to Madrid, hes not the main man yet hes still got a decenet return rate for them, the main issue is that Bale was never worth what Real paid for him from day one but thats going to inflate his price now if he is to come back to the EPL.

Price depdning, I'd love him at Chelsea, would solve a big issue on our RW too, its most ineffective attacking threat on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I'd love to see Bale back in the BPL at a CL team, the league is really lacking some star power imo.

• Advertisement

For what Bale costs you could pick up Hummels, Depay, Schneiderlen and Khedeira on a free.

if di maria cost 60m bale is def worth more. Much more of a goal threat and has premier league experience. only 25 years old as well. Madrid signed him for 85m so even if we signed him for 70m it would be a 15m loss for madrid

if di maria cost 60m bale is def worth more. Much more of a goal threat and has premier league experience. only 25 years old as well. Madrid signed him for 85m so even if we signed him for 70m it would be a 15m loss for madrid

Bale has never produced a season as good as Di Maria did last year.

Before going on about Madrid selling him well they are dumb when it comes to transfers.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Bale has never produced a season as good as Di Maria did last year.

Before going on about Madrid selling him well they are dumb when it comes to transfers.

don't know about that, last season bale had 22 goals 19 assists and it was his first season in spain. 11 more goals than di maria although di maria did have 26 assists, but all in all I would say Bale was better of the 2, it was very close though, both had great seasons

don't know about that, last season bale had 22 goals 19 assists and it was his first season in spain. 11 more goals than di maria although di maria did have 26 assists, but all in all I would say Bale was better of the 2, it was very close though, both had great seasons

Di Maria was argued by many to be Real's best player last season or at least the first to ever give Ronaldo competition for it.

He was brilliant in the World Cup also and in the world team of the year and world cup team of the tournament i think.

Bale had a good season last year but he has never produced a season as good as Di Maria and if Madrid sell they should be selling for a loss on what they paid.

I'm not denying that Bale is a great player. But I'm saying he's not most-expensive-transfer-ever good. Just as Di Maria, in my opinion, is not fifth-most-expensive-tranfer-ever good.

Both those transfers had outrageous fees, which seems more like bluster than sensible investment. There aren't many clubs out there who can afford to behave that way, I'd venture that even United couldn't afford to spend £70m+ on Bale this summer.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Di Maria was argued by many to be Real's best player last season or at least the first to ever give Ronaldo competition for it.

He was brilliant in the World Cup also and in the world team of the year and world cup team of the tournament i think.

Bale had a good season last year but he has never produced a season as good as Di Maria and if Madrid sell they should be selling for a loss on what they paid.

season 2013 at spurs bale was arguably in the top 3-5 players in the world, he was unbelievable, 26 goals from midfield and a lot of them when world class goals, hence his world record move to madrid

I'm not denying that Bale is a great player. But I'm saying he's not most-expensive-transfer-ever good. Just as Di Maria, in my opinion, is not fifth-most-expensive-tranfer-ever good.

Both those transfers had outrageous fees, which seems more like bluster than sensible investment. There aren't many clubs out there who can afford to behave that way, I'd venture that even United couldn't afford to spend £70m+ on Bale this summer.

united bid £100m on bale before he moved to Madrid, Utd are probably the only club that could spent £70m on a player and not be affected by FFP this summer such are their sponsorship deals

united bid £100m on bale before he moved to Madrid

Bull.
    , Utd are probably the only club that could spent £70m on a player and not be affected by FFP this summer such are their sponsorship deals

Precisely, they probably are the only club who could, so if they don't, he'll never sell for that.

And as wealthy as United are, the bank account is not a bottomless pit. After the spending last summer, this summer will probably be more restrained. There may still be £70-£100m spent, but as a few positions need filling, I wouldn't expect to see a club record signing.

• Advertisement

United playing PSG, Barca, Club America and San Jose in the US this summer.

Club America - 17 July (Seattle)
    San Jose Earthquakes - 21 July (TBD)
    Barcelona - 25 July (San Clara)
    PSG - 29 July (Chicago)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement