Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Gentlemans agreement me hole. The papers know it's billyspoof and just want something to write about next year.
    They need a saga to sell papers during the off season.

They are selling their opinions as facts and people lap it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gentlemans agreement me hole. The papers know it's billyspoof and just want something to write about next year.
    They need a saga to sell papers during the off season.

They are selling their opinions as facts and people lap it up

Well, that is just you presenting your opinion as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

most likely scenario is,

Euro 2016 is next year,

Casillas is staying another year at Madrid, de Gea knows this and knows he will be on the bench if he joins Madrid this year

he signs a new contract at united, but tells them he would like to move to Madrid next summer, United agree to this.

He is tied to the club long term,

United get to keep him another season and a big transfer fee next summer when de Gea gets his move

everyone is happy Casillas, Real Madrid, de Gea, de Gea's missus and most importantly Man Utd.

This is the way I see it panning out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well, that is just you presenting your opinion as fact.

Well, like, you know, that's just my opinion man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If the Madrid do get the ban i would think that they would go all out for de gea this transfer window but on the up side they could be desperate and united get a better fee

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    If the Madrid do get the ban i would think that they would go all out for de gea this transfer window but on the up side they could be desperate and united get a better fee

even if they don't get de gea they still have Navas. he is an excellent goalkeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

bangkok wrote: »
    looking like de gea will sign a new contract and stay with us for another season, gentlemans agreement in place he will move to Madrid in 2 years

Why do you always state random stuff as a fact without a source or stating that it is your opinion or whatever it may be?

The above statement is focking irritatingly misleading...and you always post like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Surely that can't happen if RM get the transfer ban that is being talked about? Meaning it would be at least January 17 when they would be able to buy. And I don't think we would allow him to leave half way through the season

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

ericzeking wrote: »
    Why do you always state random stuff as a fact without a source or stating that it is your opinion or whatever it may be?

The above statement is focking irritatingly misleading...and you always post like that.

I agree some of his posts are pulled out of nowhere with absolutely no evidence or source to back up but I reckon this is more than likely how it will pan out

ericzeking wrote: »

how is that random stuff? It is probably the most talked about situation at our club right now along with Champions league qualification!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some don't know what a tracker mortgage is, I don't know what De Gea will do, I read today that hr is staying at United and will be playing for Real Madrid next season...depending on which 'source' you read.
    I think most sources are from the minds of the author, like my 'Van Gaal will try to sign Muller'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

how is that random stuff? It is probably the most talked about situation at our club right now along with Champions league qualification!!

I dont think it's an issue with what you've posted it but more how you've posted it. No source or back up of your story. Most people post "x or y in the guardian reporting that such and such is moving" then add their opinion. With your post it's very hard to distinguish whether you are posting an opinion or a story you've read elsewhere or a combination of both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

According to Miguel Delaney, Lloris has had initial contact from Man United, and he's open to the move, but it all relies on De Gea. There's a belief that De Gea could be used as a way of getting Bale. Depay is on the backburner in the meantime, however, we'll kick on with him if it's felt Liverpool are making any serious headway in negotiations.

He says.

United are looking to bring in five signings this summer, with manager Louis van Gaal insistent they be done as early as possible to allow the kind of tactical preparation time with a full squad that was denied to him last summer.
    United confident they can complete deals with both Mats Hummels of Borussia Dortmund and Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne.
    Depay and Bale are then options on the wing, and the club will wait to see what happens with their strikers.
    If De Gea goes, it could mean a sixth signing, which will likely be Lloris.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I dont think it's an issue with what you've posted it but more how you've posted it. No source or back up of your story. Most people post "x or y in the guardian reporting that such and such is moving" then add their opinion. With your post it's very hard to distinguish whether you are posting an opinion or a story you've read elsewhere or a combination of both.

sorry lads, normally just looking at it from the outside like most other people I come to conclusions a lot of which I think pan out the way I would have earlier thought they would. Everyone has their opinion on the de gea. Ian Herbert senior Journalist seems to think he will play for one more year and move to Madrid then. I think the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    According to Miguel Delaney, Lloris has had initial contact from Man United, and he's open to the move, but it all relies on De Gea. There's a belief that De Gea could be used as a way of getting Bale. Depay is on the backburner in the meantime, however, we'll kick on with him if it's felt Liverpool are making any serious headway in negotiations.

He says.

United are looking to bring in five signings this summer, with manager Louis van Gaal insistent they be done as early as possible to allow the kind of tactical preparation time with a full squad that was denied to him last summer.
    United confident they can complete deals with both Mats Hummels of Borussia Dortmund and Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne.
    Depay and Bale are then options on the wing, and the club will wait to see what happens with their strikers.

We need a central midfielder more then a winger, carrick is getting on now and wont be able to play every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He says.

I just can't believe that anybody would be privy to that much information.

sorry lads, normally just looking at it from the outside like most other people I come to conclusions a lot of which I think pan out the way I would have earlier thought they would. Everyone has their opinion on the de gea. Ian Herbert senior Journalist seems to think he will play for one more year and move to Madrid then. I think the same

Won't be 1 year; it's either this year or two years, given it's looking like Real won't be doing business of any kind in 2016....

I'm fairly sure 90% of it could be written by reading the rumours from recent weeks. Nothing really new in any of it...

I'm fairly sure 90% of it could be written by reading the rumours from recent weeks. Nothing really new in any of it...

Yeah, sure i could have said all that just from reading this thread.

I would always trust Miguel. Mainly cause I grew up with him. He isn't someone to BS for the sake of it. If he writes it, he genuinely believe the source it has come from. He could end up being wrong, either through misinformation or United not getting the deals done, but it won't be because he has flat out lied for clicks/hits.

Also, what he says tallies with what I read from others I consider to be informed on UWS and RI Sanc, so I personally believe he is simply repeating what United are putting out there.

There could be a good reason this is similar to 90% of the rumours we read in here lately, it could be because they are actually what the club is planning/hoping on and what they are putting out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

He says.

I'm not believing g this from Delaney, assuming clyne hummels gundogan are done... Bale and or depay plus a striker and a goal keeper would be half a new team

brinty wrote: »
    I'm not believing g this from Delaney, assuming clyne hummels gundogan are done... Bale and or depay plus a striker and a goal keeper would be half a new team

Out of the positions mentioned, which ones do you think we do not need to invest in, or will not invest in?

Also, he doesn't mention Gundogan (though we need at least one CM) and there hasn't been anything since Thursday/Friday to suggest that we are in for him, never mind have a deal done for him.

Personally feel we still are half a team away from being able to seriously challenge on all fronts next season, especially at a top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

You may laugh but United need a striker more than any other position. RVP done, Falcao disaster, Wilson unproven. That leaves us with a hit/miss rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Knowing our luck if we get Bale and Depay goes to another PL team Depay will outperform him next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bullvine wrote: »
    You may laugh but United need a striker more than any other position. RVP done, Falcao disaster, Wilson unproven. That leaves us with a hit/miss rooney.

I'd say we need a fully functioning RB first, then a CB, then a pacy winger, then a centre midfielder, then a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Out of the positions mentioned, which ones do you think we do not need to invest in, or will not invest in?

Also, he doesn't mention Gundogan (though we need at least one CM) and there hasn't been anything since Thursday/Friday to suggest that we are in for him, never mind have a deal done for him.

Striker who'll score 30 goals a season
    Right back
    Central defender
    Central midfielder
    wide players

In that order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

In that order

Thats a near impossible ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How can anybody look at not only the last 2 games, but also the last 3/4 seasons and not think that continued improvement to our midfield is the upmost priority?

Seriously, another striker is our no.1 priority? Bloody hell.

• Advertisement

I would always trust Miguel. Mainly cause I grew up with him. He isn't someone to BS for the sake of it. If he writes it, he genuinely believe the source it has come from. He could end up being wrong, either through misinformation or United not getting the deals done, but it won't be because he has flat out lied for clicks/hits.

Also, what he says tallies with what I read from others I consider to be informed on UWS and RI Sanc, so I personally believe he is simply repeating what United are putting out there.

There could be a good reason this is similar to 90% of the rumours we read in here lately, it could be because they are actually what the club is planning/hoping on and what they are putting out there.

I completely understand where you are coming from, I know where you stand on it so I'm not going to argue. I'm a cynical f*cker by nature and I don't believe much of what these lads do claim to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    Thats a near impossible ask.

I can think of... 3? One who United fans wouldn't want, one who United will never get, and one who United already had. Are there any others?

I'd say we need a fully functioning RB first, then a CB, then a pacy winger, then a centre midfielder, then a striker.

You can shoe horn any number of players into right back or Center half and get away it on occasion but if you haven't a proper forward/goal scorer forget about it.

Our Center half options might not be ideal but at least they are options, up top we have no one except Rooney.

Chelsea would have won the league last season if they had a proper striker.

I can think of... 3? One who United fans wouldn't want, one who United will never get, and one who United already had. Are there any others?

Not that I can think of.

bullvine wrote: »
    You can shoe horn any number of players into right back or Center half and get away it on occasion but if you haven't a proper forward/goal scorer forget about it.

Our Center half options might not be ideal but at least they are options, up top we have no one except Rooney.

Chelsea would have won the league last season if they had a proper striker.

Id always build a team from back to front. It just makes sense.

Right back
    Central defender
    Central midfielder
    wide players

In that order

So that is 6 players, plus maybe we need a keeper. But you don't believe Miguel cause he says 5, maybe 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the more and more i look at our play, the more i am convinced we need a new striker as priority after a creative CM.

Have been banging the "New striker" drum for a while now so glad to see it becoming a more common opinion :pac:

Have been banging the "New striker" drum for a while now so glad to see it becoming a more common opinion :pac:

If we look to play 433, I can't see us getting a 30 goal striker, with the cost that entails.

Rooney, as captain, will retain his place in the side and will play up front. Better there than in midfield anyway, imo.

I do feel we will need a striker, or new goal scorers anyway, but I feel we may look to cover that with Rooney, Ings, RVP, Wilson and Depay/Bale.

Our best forward is Rooney and he's almost 30, the goal scoring records for over 30's strikers has been very poor historically, I think only Drogba has been a consistent goalscorer who got better when he hit that age. This is very worrying.

Of course we need a new CB, RB and CM but we have options in those positions, might not be great but still have them and can probably get away with them but we need a young experienced striker I believe, someone in their mid 20's.

Forwards make the difference above anything else!

If we look to play 433, I can't see us getting a 30 goal striker, with the cost that entails.

Rooney, as captain, will retain his place in the side and will play up front. Better there than in midfield anyway, imo.

I do feel we will need a striker, or new goal scorers anyway, but I feel we may look to cover that with Rooney, Ings, RVP, Wilson and Depay/Bale.

Lets buy Harry Kane:)

• Advertisement

Hugo Lloris is on "stand-by" with Manchester United, if David De Gea does indeed go to Real Madrid this summer, sources have told ESPN FC.

first sentence in the article makes you think it is BS. Like did somebody say to Lloris, hey be ready to go to united if de gea signs for Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Would people be happy if that striker was Bentenke?

I would; he's 24 and looks the complete package; quick, strong, a good finisher. His injuries are a slight concern, however.

On the plus side, he's a very gettable option. He's at the type of club United historically don't have too much of an issue getting a deal done for their top players. Might be as much as 30 million GBP but I would think that is ok value in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Personally I think we need another top class striker [lewondoski Benteke or Benzema type ].
    If we don't go for a top class striker then we need two goal scoring wingers. Bale and depay would be ideal for a 433 formation.
    A top class front 3 will win us the league even with our defensive squad at present. Defence needs to be strengthened for c.l. football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would people be happy if that striker was Bentenke?

I would; he's 24 and looks the complete package; quick, strong, a good finisher. His injuries are a slight concern, however.

On the plus side, he's a very gettable option. He's at the type of club United historically don't have too much of an issue getting a deal done for their top players. Might be as much as 30 million GBP but I would think that is ok value in the current market.

Would it stand to us if villa got relegated then?, they would need the money and I'm sure benteke would not be happy playing in the championship

Hugo Lloris is on "stand-by" with Manchester United, if David De Gea does indeed go to Real Madrid this summer, sources have told ESPN FC.

first sentence in the article makes you think it is BS. Like did somebody say to Lloris, hey be ready to go to united if de gea signs for Madrid?
    More likely - someone contacted his agent and said:" If De Gea does go to Madrid, Lloris is our first choice to replace him, would he be interested? Yes? Cheers, we'll be in touch"

I don't find that to be odd at all.

I would find it odd if United were sounding out GK targets in case DDG does leave, that would be shocking management of the side.

If we were to sign a top class striker - what formation and first 11 are people thinking we will play? 442? Rooney benched to continue the 433 LVG has generally played throughout his career? Rooney in the Fellaini role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Hococop wrote: »
    Would it stand to us if villa got relegated then?, they would need the money and I'm sure benteke would not be happy playing in the championship

I wouldn't like to see Villa relegated just so United could save a few million!

If we were to sign a top class striker - what formation and first 11 are people thinking we will play? 442? Rooney benched to continue the 433 LVG has generally played throughout his career? Rooney in the Fellaini role?

no rooney will be in the starting 11 no matter what. class player

not 442, more than likely 4141 or 433 but you could accommodate rooney and another striker in the team and yes I would agree with you, will be either rooney or di maria playing where fellaini is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

What if Rooney gets injured or a dip in form.?? Say our 3 strikers next season are Rooney, Benteke and Wilson. No reason why we cant play 433. Plenty of games and some games you could have one playing CF and one on the left or right.. Baca can accommodate Messi Suarez and Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Im really hoping 433 but I still think that's dependant on central midfield signings more than anything else.

Not sure about the top class striker just yet either, the Cavani links are just bull**** imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement