Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

anyone think Higuain could be a good option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

bangkok wrote: »
    anyone think Higuain could be a good option?

He'd be a good upgrade on Hernandez but that would be about it. Not a lot of variation to his game really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR9s-uWyIB8

7 years ago today...genius

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we were to sign a top class striker - what formation and first 11 are people thinking we will play? 442? Rooney benched to continue the 433 LVG has generally played throughout his career? Rooney in the Fellaini role?

Rooney off to Paris? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Rooney off to Paris? :pac:

That ship has long since sailed. He won't leave United til he decides to either go home to Everton or have some fun in America.

That ship has long since sailed. He won't leave United til he decides to either go home to Everton or have some fun in America.

he will never play for everton again more than likely USA or just retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Here we go. Papertalk buzzword time.

giphy.gif

Oooooooooo we should run papertalk buzzword bingo over the summer first person to cross off all words on thier ticket from articles posted gets the prize,

Mods would have to donate prizes like being able to ban someone from the forum, or maybe a self ban till next season starts :)

most likely scenario is,

Euro 2016 is next year,

Casillas is staying another year at Madrid, de Gea knows this and knows he will be on the bench if he joins Madrid this year

he signs a new contract at united, but tells them he would like to move to Madrid next summer, United agree to this.

He is tied to the club long term,

United get to keep him another season and a big transfer fee next summer when de Gea gets his move

everyone is happy Casillas, Real Madrid, de Gea, de Gea's missus and most importantly Man Utd.

This is the way I see it panning out

Hete is my scenario

De Gea dumps his girlfriend for pressure put on him to leave,

He goes to Ireland in the summer and marries Mata and Herrea

They get matching tatoos saying Man U for life

All move into the one house in Manchester

Everyone is happy especially Man united

O forgot Fellaini as a minister from the church of the flying spagetthi monster presides over the wedding thus ensuring this holy trinity at united and becoming united most important signing ever and a united legend

They honeymoon in thailand but didnt like the capital too much as they found the people racist against really tall people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hete is my scenario

De Gea dumps his girlfriend for pressure put on him to leave,

He goes to Ireland in the summer and marries Mata and Herrea

They get matching tatoos saying Man U for life

All move into the one house in Manchester

Everyone is happy especially Man united

O forgot Fellaini as a minister from the church of the flying spagetthi monster presides over the wedding thus ensuring this holy trinity at united and becoming united most important signing ever and a united legend

They honeymoon in thailand but didnt like the capital too much as they found the people racist against really tall people

And don't forget Bangkok in the church complaining that fellaini shouldn't be the main minister marrying them ;)

• Advertisement

He miss-hit it.

He miss-hit it.

how is striking the ball on the outside of his foot a miss-hit?

Oooooooooo we should run papertalk buzzword bingo over the summer first person to cross off all words on thier ticket from articles posted gets the prize,

Mods would have to donate prizes like being able to ban someone from the forum, or maybe a self ban till next season starts :)

I'd like to add "undergoing medical" and "team of delegates" to said bingo card.

Robson99 wrote: »
    What if Rooney gets injured or a dip in form.?? Say our 3 strikers next season are Rooney, Benteke and Wilson. No reason why we cant play 433. Plenty of games and some games you could have one playing CF and one on the left or right.. Baca can accommodate Messi Suarez and Neymar

Barcas front 3 are very interchangeable as wide forwards and a striker, they are 3 of the better finishers in the game and easily in the top 10 best dribblers in the game case for all 3 in the top 5 very hard to copy it at united, reals front 3 simliar but more pacy and direct

how is striking the ball on the outside of his foot a miss-hit?
    Scholes SAID he miss-hit it. So I am ging to assume he miss hit it. He didn't hit it as he wanted, but still scored, as he wanted. No big deal. But still a miss-hit.

Scholes SAID he miss-hit it. So I am ging to assume he miss hit it. He didn't hit it as he wanted, but still scored, as he wanted. No big deal. But still a miss-hit.

source :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Barcas front 3 are very interchangeable as wide forwards and a striker, they are 3 of the better finishers in the game and easily in the top 10 best dribblers in the game case for all 3 in the top 5 very hard to copy it at united, reals front 3 simliar but more pacy and direct
    Yes i agree in relation to Barcas front 3. But there is no reason why we couldn't play ant two from Rooney, Wilson or say Benteke in a front 3, once you have a solid 3 behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yes i agree in relation to Barcas front 3. But there is no reason why we couldn't play ant two from Rooney, Wilson or say Benteke in a front 3, once you have a solid 3 behind them

Wilson just like adnan just aren't good enough right now to be in hypothetical starting positions.
    Benteke a real underwhelming signing similar to lambert.

I would rather keep rvp than those 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

stankratz wrote: »
    I'd like to add "undergoing medical" and "team of delegates" to said bingo card.

Also "thinking of preparing a bid"

stankratz wrote: »

I really like team of delegates not overly common so if u got it, might leave you sweating for a week or two for BINGO

Wilson just like adnan just aren't good enough right now to be in hypothetical starting positions.
    Benteke a real underwhelming signing similar to lambert.

I would rather keep rvp than those 2

Benteke is a top class c.f. and Wilson just needs a run of games. We need to give some of the youth players a chance. We have always done that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

"Sky Sources Understand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

"Apparently"

346983.JPG

Benteke is a top class c.f. and Wilson just needs a run of games. We need to give some of the youth players a chance. We have always done that

yes they need a chance but they also have to take it. Fergie didn't hang around with youth players that weren't up to it. Scholes, Beckham and Giggs all got their chance and took it.

Macheda for example got his chance, had 1 moment of brilliance but didn't push on.

Wilson in the same boat, although at a club like Man Utd I cant see Wilson ever being our No1 striker. I would imagine he will go out on loan this summer along with januzaj and see how they both progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"Sources close to the player" or "Sources inside <stadium>".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any injury updates?

yes they need a chance but they also have to take it. Fergie didn't hang around with youth players that weren't up to it. Scholes, Beckham and Giggs all got their chance and took it.

Macheda for example got his chance, had 1 moment of brilliance but didn't push on.

Wilson in the same boat, although at a club like Man Utd I cant see Wilson ever being our No1 striker. I would imagine he will go out on loan this summer along with januzaj and see how they both progress

Pogba for example didnt get a chance

Pogba for example didnt get a chance

he did in fairness, got 7 games as an 17/18 year old for man utd, if he signed a new contract and stayed another season would have played a lot more, but his agent had his head turned by the huge signing on fee on offer at Juventus and better wages. also the times he did play he was nothing special but a player of that age shouldn't be making demands to the club or alex ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney was 25 and 23 years old the last times he scored over 20 goals in the league I think, he's 30 next season and may not be able to produce that kind of return again

RVP and Falcao are done at United at this stage, we need to find the next Rooney or Aguero or Suarez. There's a real lack of top strikers in that age range 20-25 that there was a couple of years ago, have heard Dybala and Icardi been thrown around a lot over the past year

midfielder, centre back, right back and striker in that order for me

Why is everyone writing RVP off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why is everyone writing RVP off?
    Because he's been shíte for 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Rooney was 25 and 23 years old the last times he scored over 20 goals in the league I think, he's 30 next season and may not be able to produce that kind of return again

RVP and Falcao are done at United at this stage, we need to find the next Rooney or Aguero or Suarez. There's a real lack of top strikers in that age range 20-25 that there was a couple of years ago, have heard Dybala and Icardi been thrown around a lot over the past year

midfielder, centre back, right back and striker in that order for me

The lad is finished. Ferguson gave the perfect opportunity for the club to get rid. Moyes comes in gives him a new contract on astronomical wages.

Because he's been shíte for 2 seasons.

Has he though? His strike rate was 18 for 28 appearances last year, in an all round awful United side.

He hasn't had a great season this year, but that happens. I wouldn't have him written off yet, the guy is pure class.

he did in fairness, got 7 games as an 17/18 year old for man utd, if he signed a new contract and stayed another season would have played a lot more, but his agent had his head turned by the huge signing on fee on offer at Juventus and better wages. also the times he did play he was nothing special but a player of that age shouldn't be making demands to the club or alex ferguson

Didn't fergie play Fabio and park ahead of him. Some chance he got.
    Anyways interesting transfer window coming up probably one of the most important for us in the last 25 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Has he though? His strike rate was 18 for 28 appearances last year, in an all round awful United side.

He hasn't had a great season this year, but that happens. I wouldn't have him written off yet, the guy is pure class.

He was pure class. If he manages to pull off a season likes his first here,I'd be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i honestly think he is done as a top class striker but the more i think of it with falcao not staying, wilson looking like going on loan that leaves rooney as only recognized striker.

I think he probaley has to stay for cover even if a new striker is brough in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Didn't fergie play Fabio and park ahead of him. Some chance he got.
    Anyways interesting transfer window coming up probably one of the most important for us in the last 25 years

Yeah playing people who have experience who know how to play the gameplan ahead of him against arsenal.
    We all know the story of pogba, no one did anything wrong, he was right to move, fergie was right to let him leave.

Leave it at that.

When an older player has two seasons where he's gotten worse and worse, you've got to weigh up the chances of him suddenly getting much better verses the fact a trend could be setting in, and things are only going to get worse. Not every player will be a Paul Scholes or a Ryan Giggs where they are still playing as they reach 40 at a top level.

Whatever about Rooney, RVP has been on a downward trend, and his high wages are not reflecting the level he's been playing at for 2 years now. Either his wages need to be drastically slashed this summer, or he should be moved on.

As a top club, we can't let sentimentality sneak in and generate a team who are well past their peak. RVP was amazing two years ago and dragged us single-handedly to a title. But at his wages, he should be contributing far, far more, and if he can't, then it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

People are delusional thinking Rooney is past it or that we need to get rid. Still such a crucial player for us IMO.

Yeah playing people who have experience who know how to play the gameplan ahead of him against arsenal.
    We all know the story of pogba, no one did anything wrong, he was right to move, fergie was right to let him leave.

Leave it at that.

I have. Fabio experience in the middle of the park LOL

• Advertisement

When an older player has two seasons where he's gotten worse and worse, you've got to weigh up the chances of him suddenly getting much better verses the fact a trend could be setting in, and things are only going to get worse. Not every player will be a Paul Scholes or a Ryan Giggs where they are still playing as they reach 40 at a top level.

Whatever about Rooney, RVP has been on a downward trend, and his high wages are not reflecting the level he's been playing at for 2 years now. Either his wages need to be drastically slashed this summer, or he should be moved on.

As a top club, we can't let sentimentality sneak in and generate a team who are well past their peak. RVP was amazing two years ago and dragged us single-handedly to a title. But at his wages, he should be contributing far, far more, and if he can't, then it's time to move on.

I'm not speaking from sentimentality though. The man is 31, but people are speaking as though he were 36. His age won't prevent him from having another season at or close to the level he was at two seasons ago.

Sure, there may be other reasons he won't perform to that level. Maybe he's mentally not bothered anymore, maybe his injuries have finally caught up with him, maybe he doesn't fit in to the new squad. I don't know - any of those things could be true.

I just wouldn't think one fairly quiet season is a good reason to write of a player of his quality. It happens, players have quiet seasons sometimes.

I just wouldn't think one fairly quiet season is a good reason to write of a player of his quality. It happens, players have quiet seasons sometimes.

It's grand if it's an abnormality. But what if those busy seasons were the abnormality, and this is the norm? A quick check seems to suggest he only hit over 20 league goals twice in 11 seasons. Only hit over 15 league goals 3 times. Even throwing in non-league goals, it looks like he hit 20 or more goals 4 times in 11 seasons.

(I'm going from Wiki here).

For his wages, we really should be getting a player who is consistently hitting 20+ league goals, or at least coming closer than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭Sand

People are delusional thinking Rooney is past it or that we need to get rid. Still such a crucial player for us IMO.

Rooney needs to score a hat trick every game or he'll be criticised tbh.

It's grand if it's an abnormality. But what if those busy seasons were the abnormality, and this is the norm? A quick check seems to suggest he only hit over 20 league goals twice in 11 seasons. Only hit over 15 league goals 3 times. Even throwing in non-league goals, it looks like he hit 20 or more goals 4 times in 11 seasons.

For his wages, we really should be getting a player who is consistently hitting 20+ league goals, or at least coming closer than he is.

In fairness for a man who is injured as much as he is goals per season isnt the best metric for measurement, and if I remember correctly he didnt play as an out and out for arsenal at first (could be wrong here)

His injury record could also be counted against him for staying on though, considering he hasnt played in a fully function united team in 2 years its a bit premature to write him off.
    Im including this season as he hasnt featured in any games where we played good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's pointless to play Falcao in the last 4 games, both from long term and short term perspective.
    If Rooney is out, then I'd like to see Wilson given some game time.

Given there will be more games next season, best to keep RVP for the last year of his contract.

Presume Hernandez will be sold

rooney is world class, forget about stats and look what he brings to the team. work rate, drive, determination, skill, passion, everything you want for a player playing for your team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

rooney is world class, forget about stats and look what he brings to the team. work rate, drive, determination, skill, passion, everything you want for a player playing for your team

You forgot street footballer.

You forgot street footballer.

Top top player so he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's grand if it's an abnormality. But what if those busy seasons were the abnormality, and this is the norm? A quick check seems to suggest he only hit over 20 league goals twice in 11 seasons.Only hit over 15 league goals 3 times. Even throwing in non-league goals, it looks like he hit 20 or more goals 4 times in 11 seasons.

The correct conclusion to draw from these stats is that they are a terrible metric for judging the quality of a striker.

Here's another way to think of it. Name a few strikers who have consistently hit 20 goals a season in the EPL during the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Telegraph now saying Madrid are looking at Lloris and Handovic as alternatives to De Gea. Only April and this feels like it's dragged on forever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement