Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Even so. I'd say anything under 20 mill would be a gift. Especially in this day and age.

Something seriously wrong with our transfer policy if we end up selling welbeck an english international for less money then we spend on a right back (also english) in the last year of his contract.

We got screwed a lot last year but every club in the world new we were desperate for players, Im hoping we can take a harder line this summer for both buys and sells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For Shadowcomplex:

De Gea
    Clyne-Smalling-Hummels-Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera
    Gundogan
    Bale
    Di Maria
    Rooney

His legacy will live on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

#15 wrote: »
    The way people talk about Real Madrid being his boyhood dream as an excuse for his desire to leave Utd is the worst. He is on record saying that he wanted to join Barca at one stage too. Hardly the words of a diehard Madrid fan.

I just think some Utd fans have a hard time accepting that he didn't consider Utd to be the pinnacle of his career.

Funny, cause im off the opposite view. The fact that United was not the pinnicle of his career was something I easily admired and accepted. Not every United fan thinks we are "Greatest Club in the World".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

16/17 Mill for a England international and one of the best right backs in league? Doubt he would be that cheap tbh. 20-25. I'd say

Who else in the league is going to pay over 20 million for a right back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Who else in the league is going to pay over 20 million for a right back?

Chelsea? Ivanovic is getting old. Also Azpi is playing as LB. So they might be in for him.
    Arsenal? They are set. They have 2 RBs and they won't be in for him.
    City? Zabaleta and Sagna but both are 30 +. Also they need home grown players.

Chances are high that we might sign him but wouldn't be surprised if there is a bidding war for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

#15 wrote: »
    The way people talk about Real Madrid being his boyhood dream as an excuse for his desire to leave Utd is the worst. He is on record saying that he wanted to join Barca at one stage too. Hardly the words of a diehard Madrid fan.

I just think some Utd fans have a hard time accepting that he didn't consider Utd to be the pinnacle of his career.

I think some fans have a problem accepting that we are not the greatest team in the world. Not to mention that they can't accept that players will move for money and there is nothing morally wrong with that.
    Fans have a romantised view of players spending 15 years at a club when that dosent happen in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I think some fans have a problem accepting that we are not the greatest team in the world. Not to mention that they can't accept that players will move for money and there is nothing morally wrong with that.
    Fans have a romantised view of players spending 15 years at a club when that dosent happen in reality.

Those days are almost gone IMO. With all the money going around these datys players will leave to get the best deal they can. On top of that there's the allure of success. We won't see many Scholes' anymore. Even players like Gerard who stay despite being chased by title winning teams will be hard to find.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just read Ogden's article...nowhere does it seem to say we are bidding 100m for Bale. It says getting back into the Champions League will mean United have an extra 100m or so earned, and that LVG has been told that should he want Bale, then funds will be made available to get him (on top of the funds already earmarked for other targets).

Headline editor just seemed to slam those two facts together....

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Those days are almost gone IMO. With all the money going around these datys players will leave to get the best deal they can. On top of that there's the allure of success. We won't see many Scholes' anymore. Even players like Gerard who stay despite being chased by title winning teams will be hard to find.

It's more or less how the world has moved with regards to work in the last 20 years. You need to move around to get the best deal for yourself and challenge yourself, not to mention to see the world.
    For me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Giggs, Scholes and Neville say hello :):)

In Ronaldo's case I do agree that he gets overdone especially from united fans but it is because we imagine what might of been if he stayed.
    personally myself I used to love watching him play for us and still love watching him play but the more I see of him and his celebrations and the little tantrums he seemingly has on the pitch the more I dislike him but that don't take away from fact he and his nemesis are on a different planet ability wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Just read Ogden's article...nowhere does it seem to say we are bidding 100m for Bale. It says getting back into the Champions League will mean United have an extra 100m or so earned, and that LVG has been told that should he want Bale, then funds will be made available to get him (on top of the funds already earmarked for other targets).

Headline editor just seemed to slam those two facts together....

I think with Bale it won't be a case of United trying to force Madrid with big bids. I think we will have registered an interest and told Madrid that if they are selling, we are interested. If Real make no move to sell him, there will be no move from United, imo.

I do hope we don't spend the summer hoping for Bale, who ends up staying at Madrid, and see Depay rock up at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

100 million for Gareth Bale would be painfully stupid

He's worth about half that

Worth doesn't always be equal to a transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

David Luiz is 'worth' around 20m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I do hope we don't spend the summer hoping for Bale, who ends up staying at Madrid, and see Depay rock up at Liverpool.

Everybody seems to think it's either United or Liverpool that Depay will end up at. There's going to be a list of clubs that will be interested in his signature and it's only the 1st of May.

I'll be gutted if he ends up there but I think he has outgrown Liverpool already, last season would have been the time to strike for them. When do they ever land their big transfer targets when there's someone else interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

@BroadcastMoose: My sources tell me Danny Ings is expected to join @manutd this summer,he wants to kove to Utd & Utd want him

How accurate he is I don't know but from following him on Twitter he doesn't seem to bull**** too much.

dahat wrote: »
    @BroadcastMoose: My sources tell me Danny Ings is expected to join @manutd this summer,he wants to kove to Utd & Utd want him

How accurate he is I don't know but from following him on Twitter he doesn't seem to bull**** too much.

I'm personally sure that we are interested in him - but whether we firm that up to a contract offer obviously remains to be seen.

My opinion is that he would be a good, cheap addition to the squad - possibly allowing funds elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dahat wrote: »

Is that the guy that's one 2fm on Saturdays?? The Moose??

• Advertisement

I'm personally sure that we are interested in him - but whether we firm that up to a contract offer obviously remains to be seen.

My opinion is that he would be a good, cheap addition to the squad - possibly allowing funds elsewhere.

And he's an English player too, most of our targets this summer are oversea's players so LVG needs to balance squad numbers some way!!!

Al Capwned wrote: »
    David Luiz is 'worth' around 20m.
    But PSG paid €50m for him
    so if DiMaria is worth 40m maybe they'll pay €100m.... if we're selling him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think I'd prefer Benteke to Ings if it was between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I love that there is no more excuses this Summer. No more 'new manager getting to know his squad' rubbish.

Im fascinated to see how ruthless he will be. Fergie got very soft in his last few years. Lot of players should have been shipped out but stayed.

I think I'd prefer Benteke to Ings if it was between the two.

as would I. I think it will depend on what we do with RVP. If we keep him, I reckon we go for Ings to replace Falcao. If RVP leaves, then we need to sign a player like Benteke - someone who could be legitimately first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

as would I. I think it will depend on what we do with RVP. If we keep him, I reckon we go for Ings to replace Falcao. If RVP leaves, then we need to sign a player like Benteke - someone who could be legitimately first choice.

Liverpool seem to be really wanting Benteke if the media are to be believed but will have to sell to afford him.

Ings to us would be an ok deal,he's on a free and won't be demanding £100k + a week.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Liverpool seem to be really wanting Benteke if the media are to be believed but will have to sell to afford him.

Ings to us would be an ok deal,he's on a free and won't be demanding £100k + a week.

He wont be free according to reports, there is some fee owed because of his age or something. Ive heard £5 million.

We cant even get free agents on a free. Sack Ed.

GSPfan wrote: »
    He wont be free according to reports, there is some fee owed because of his age or something. Ive heard £5 million.

We cant even get free agents on a free. Sack Ed.

As he's under 23 we'd have to pay Burnley compensation for his training and development through their underage system. Very common practice.

He'd still not be looking for 100k a week one way or the other.

Poor Ed getting hammered again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Worth doesn't always be equal to a transfer fee.

But that doesn't invalidate what Wayne said about it being a painfully stupid fee. Sometimes transfers go through for painfully stupid fees. The fact that they do happen doesn't make them any less stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the Ronaldo love is justified imo. we witnessed before our very eyes week in week out this skinny 18 year old kid blossom into arguably the greatest player ever to play the game and probably the greatest sports star ever. also the way he carried himself around the club, he was a very polite, humble genuine nice guy to everyone. The bromance with Fergie also helped the united fans love affair with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FytRP0RF4

brinty wrote: »
    Poor Ed getting hammered again..

You know that was a joke right?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

bangkok wrote: »
    the Ronaldo love is justified imo. we witnessed before our very eyes week in week out this skinny 18 year old kid blossom into arguably the greatest player ever to play the game and probably the greatest sports star ever. also the way he carried himself around the club, he was a very polite, humble genuine nice guy to everyone. The bromance with Fergie also helped the united fans love affair with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FytRP0RF4

Wow. Really?
    Would anyone really try argue that he is the greatest ever.
    Maybe one could argue that he is the greatest player of his generation, which I would disagree with too, but ever? Not a hope.

killwill wrote: »
    Wow. Really?
    Maybe one could argue that he is the greatest player of his generation, which I would disagree with too, but ever? Not a hope.

A lot of people do think that and will think that. It's not uncommon.
    It's all subjective but he is up thre for sure with personal bias/nostalgia/subjective opinions making up the top 10

Wow. Really?

You did see who posted the comment!!!

As Gowlasaurus said it's difficult to even make a case for Ronaldo, much and all as we love him, that he's even the best player of his generation.

Wow. Really?

when you look at his stats week in week out he is def up there. A lot of people reckon messi is the greatest player of all time and it is Ronaldo who has been neck and neck with him the last 8 years.

50 goals + for the last 5 seasons in a row, no player has ever done that in the history of the game.

Wow. Really?

out of interest, name 5 players better than Ronaldo in your opinion?

imo there has never been a more complete player in football

People can easily argue for messi, pele, maradonna, best, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo, Fellaini, any of the stars of the 70s/60 who is young lads only hear about through nostalgia compared to every move players make now is critisised.

A lot is cliches and personal opinion. But I think messi and Ronaldo are the 2 best for sure, I'm only basing that off an assumption the game has got more elite and the players are better with all the technological developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

People can easily argue for messi, pele, maradonna, best, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo, Fellaini, any of the stars of the 70s/60 who is young lads only hear about through nostalgia compared to every move players make now is critisised.

i_see_what_you_did_there_o_520433_196493.jpg

50 goals + for the last 5 seasons in a row, no player has ever done that in the history of the game.

Messi?

Maradonna and Pele will be two people automatically go for. Then you have Messi. So that is a very quick 3.

You will then have the likes of Best, Puskas that people will argue for - as well as many brazillians saying that Pele wasn't even the best in his team - that Garrincha was.

I would agree that CR is one of the best of all time though, and i believe people look back on players from the past with a sense of nostalgia that isn't afforded to the players of today.

when I started watching football, best player in my eyes was Baggio, then I thought Ronaldo was the greatest player ever, the Zidane came along but I still rated Ronaldo higher, then Ronaldinho who was a magician loved watching him play, but still Ronaldo was the best player ever to play the game that I had seen.

then we were all blessed as football fans. 2 players came along, a Portuguese and an Argentinian, players who push each others limits to heights never seen before in world football ever. Players who scored a combined total of 628 goals between them in the last 6 seasons. The best dribbler of a football ever and probably the most complete player ever. breaking records that stood for years with ease in an age when players are physically and mentally much stronger than the players of old. yes the old names always come up about who was the greatest, Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Platini, Charlton, but in 30 years time when you look back at what Messi and Ronaldo have done, they will stand the test of time, their records will last a lifetime and to think that Messi is still only 27 and Ronaldo only 30, their records will keep growing and growing and imo they are the 2 best players ever to play the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

We won't appreciate how good Ronaldo is until around 10 years after he retires, no player in history has improved so dramatically each Season he has played, simply incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Messi?

Nope. CR7 is the first ever, Messi "only" got 41 in all comps in 2013/14.

CR7 last five seasons

14/15 50 goals so far
    13/14 51 goals
    12/13 55 goals
    11/12 60 goals
    10/11 53 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

How would the greats of the past have faired out with their talents with the state of the art facilties we have today?

And how would Messi or Ronaldos dribbling and shooting stand up to the heavy balls and pitches of times gone by or would Ronaldo have the physical attributes he has now if he was around back then (probably not) and therefore would he have been as good?

I think it is absolutely futile to try and come up with a greatest of all time, from a technical footballing perspective anyway, just appreciate great players, in their own time and context.

Then there are other players who were great because of areas of the game which are less easily quantified. Just because Roy Keane didn't score lots of goals doesn't mean he isn't right up there at the very pinnacle.

And people rarely mention keepers.

Messi?

no, "only" got 41 last season. Ronaldo is the first player ever to do it in consecutive seasons

How many goals would Pele have scored with a lighter ball, on a better pitch, with optimum nutrition and scientific analysis of every aspecyt of his life......?

Eric is the greatest in my eyes....he was/is just so damn cool!!

ericzeking wrote: »
    How many goals would Pele have scored with a lighter ball, on a better pitch, with optimum nutrition and scientific analysis of every aspecyt of his life......?

like someone said earlier, we will never know. Pele never played in Europe, how many goals would say Ronaldo or Messi score if they played at their peaks in South America.

Would Maradona have been banned for years and his career ruined for taking cocaine when drug testing was minimal and corrupt?

Too many variables to throw into the mix, yes everyone just says Pele and Maradona were the best but in all honesty, has anyone on here ever seen them play even 5 full games?? I havent

like someone said earlier, we will never know. Pele never played in Europe, how many goals would say Ronaldo or Messi score if they played at their peaks in South America.

Would Maradona have been banned for years and his career ruined for taking cocaine when drug testing was minimal and corrupt?

Too many variables to throw into the mix, yes everyone just says Pele and Maradona were the best but in all honesty, has anyone on here ever seen them play even 5 full games?? I havent

Another contradiction, you said above that you think there has never been a more complete player than Ronaldo.

For what it's worth I think Roy Keane was a more complete player than Ronaldo ever will be. And they're 2 players who played in the same time. There's a bombshell for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Like you say, too many Variables.

You hear the same arguments over and over...
    Messi/Ronaldo never done it on the international stage.
    Messi never left his comfort zone..
    Ronaldo doesn't do it in the big games..
    Pele never played in Europe..
    Maradona never won the European cup...
    Bla/Bla/Bla....

A lot of the so called experts actually believe DiStefano to be the best. Pele and Maradona came from an era when South American players didn't travel to Europe or went to Europe later in their careers. In their time, the World Cup meant everything to a player, the European Cup was a distant second. Since the expansion of the Champions League that all changed, domination of that competition is were your legacy will be created as a player these days.

The generations are incomparable.. We should just rejoice at the fact we are watching too incredible sportsmen. The likes of which we'll never see again.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Like you say, too many Variables.

You hear the same arguments over and over...
    Messi/Ronaldo never done it on the international stage.
    Messi never left his comfort zone..
    Ronaldo doesn't do it in the big games..
    Pele never played in Europe..
    Maradona never won the European cup...
    Bla/Bla/Bla....

A lot of the so called experts actually believe DiStefano to be the best. Pele and Maradona came from an era when South American players didn't travel to Europe or went to Europe later in their careers. In their time, the World Cup meant everything to a player, the European Cup was a distant second. Since the expansion of the Champions League that all changed, domination of that competition is were your legacy will be created as a player these days.

The generations are incomparable.. We should just rejoice at the fact we are watching too incredible sportsmen. The likes of which we'll never see again.

that myth has been well and truly crushed at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement