Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ogden now running with the Bale for 100m story too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11575408/Man-Utd-prepare-100m-Gareth-Bale-transfer-bid.html

Meanwhile Marcel Brands, technical Director of PSV, confirms Liverpool and PSG are the most serious candidates for signing Memphis Depay

https://twitter.com/RikElfrink/status/594060970315644928

Maybe the Bale story is true if we have cooled our interest on Depay? Personally Bale doesn't seem like a LVG signing to me, he's all about pace and running at player, he heeds space to do that. He's not an amazing passer so I don't think he's a natural fit for LVG's high possession system.

One could say either is ADM, maybe thats why he is struggling so much. Interesting none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"When I first retired in the summer of 2011, I spent the start of the next season working with Warren Joyce, the coach of the U-21s.

Pogba was in that squad and the truth is that, while he obviously had bags of potential, he was not really playing well enough in that period up to Christmas 2011 to warrant a place in the first-team squad on a permanent basis, let alone start games."

scholes on pogba...

full article

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/paul-scholes-my-return-from-retirement-did-not-help-paul-pogbas-manchester-united-career-31186565.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

killwill wrote: »
    Wow. Really?
    Would anyone really try argue that he is the greatest ever.
    Maybe one could argue that he is the greatest player of his generation, which I would disagree with too, but ever? Not a hope.

Himself and Messi leave every other player in history in the shade if you ask me.
    Not much between either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bullvine wrote: »
    Like you say, too many Variables.

You hear the same arguments over and over...
    Messi/Ronaldo never done it on the international stage.
    Messi never left his comfort zone..
    Ronaldo doesn't do it in the big games..
    Pele never played in Europe..
    Maradona never won the European cup...
    Bla/Bla/Bla....

A lot of the so called experts actually believe DiStefano to be the best. Pele and Maradona came from an era when South American players didn't travel to Europe or went to Europe later in their careers. In their time, the World Cup meant everything to a player, the European Cup was a distant second. Since the expansion of the Champions League that all changed, domination of that competition is were your legacy will be created as a player these days.

The generations are incomparable.. We should just rejoice at the fact we are watching too incredible sportsmen. The likes of which we'll never see again.
    If we'll never see the like of them again, a fairly serious argument has to be made for them being the best ever - surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Danny Ings is a strange one...surely keeping Hernandez is a much more viable option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Danny Ings is a strange one...surely keeping Hernandez is a much more viable option.

Sign Ings for 5million and sell Chico for 10million?

Given the criticism of Chicos all round game outside the box, maybe LVG considers Ings a more rounded player and more capable of playing the role of a leading striker who needs to be part of a side looking to hold and retain possession rather than the poacher that Chico is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

kippy wrote: »
    If we'll never see the like of them again, a fairly serious argument has to be made for them being the best ever - surely?

You can make an argument for them being the greatest but you can say the same about Diego and Pele. Its just too difficult at this stage. They all have their merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Before you all settle into the transfer window madness just have a quick listen to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I cant believe we're on a United forum, talking about the best players that have ever played the game, and no one has mentioned George (the) Best.

Not that I think he was the best player ever mind you, just thought he would have gotten a nod from someone.
    I love him, reading about him, watching vids, hearing others talk about him. It just never gets old.
    Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Probably the possibility of the 'homegrown rule' coming into effect will cause clubs to look at players like Ings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We won't be getting Isco by the looks of things.

https://twitter.com/Now__Football/status/594082454929047553

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I cant believe we're on a United forum, talking about the best players that have ever played the game, and no one has mentioned George (the) Best.

He has been mentioned multiple times...
    Maradonna and Pele will be two people automatically go for. Then you have Messi. So that is a very quick 3.

You will then have the likes of Best, Puskas that people will argue for - as well as many brazillians saying that Pele wasn't even the best in his team - that Garrincha was.

I would agree that CR is one of the best of all time though, and i believe people look back on players from the past with a sense of nostalgia that isn't afforded to the players of today.
    People can easily argue for messi, pele, maradonna, best, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo, Fellaini, any of the stars of the 70s/60 who is young lads only hear about through nostalgia compared to every move players make now is critisised.

A lot is cliches and personal opinion. But I think messi and Ronaldo are the 2 best for sure, I'm only basing that off an assumption the game has got more elite and the players are better with all the technological developments.

Not that I think he was the best player ever mind you, just thought he would have gotten a nod from someone.
    I love him, reading about him, watching vids, hearing others talk about him. It just never gets old.
    Legend.

"yes the old names always come up about who was the greatest, Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Platini, Charlton"

I mentioned him earlier, 2 united legends in fact, best and charlton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend.

He was a genius and I was not even alive when he retired never mind at United. Love watching videos of him from games on YouTube etc.

They're a Home Nation game between Northern Ireland v Scotland somewhere on YouTube and it just shows all the George Best bits. Unreal.

OK, missed a few mentions, apologies.

@Kew - There was a video released about 86 or so, and it included a history of his career, as well as highlights of his testimonial in Windsor Park - that was what got me hooked. I think it was called "Best Intentions".
    May go have a look in the attic (or on YouTube) for it. :)

So yeah, that didn't take long - I now know what I'm doing for the next hour - Enjoy this lads, anyone that hasnt seen it.....

This was the start of a fascination with the man for me, and my introduction to a host of world class names too.

EDIT : Turns out this was before the IFA allowed the testimonial to go ahead, highlights are here.
    1988, as it turns out - I was 11.... Loved this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In Sanchez's last 45 games in La Liga he's got 27 goals 19 assists

In Bale's 50 games in the league he has 28 goals 19 assists

How much did Sanchez cost Arsenal in the end, 35 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Better question- How much did Sanchez cost Barcelona?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

£25-26 million? There was add-on's as well. Remember being raging they got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone who saw Maradona play would be hard pressed to say there has been a better player since imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Still no Carrick?

Nothing about Carrick from what I see so far..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

zerks wrote: »
    We won't be getting Isco by the looks of things.

https://twitter.com/Now__Football/status/594082454929047553

What do Arsenal need Isco for? Bullshìt imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shaw out again. Jaysus.

The manager also tells #MUTV that Phil Jones is fit but will have his match rhythm assessed, while Robin van Persie is available

This is fantastic. :D I wonder what the test is for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Shaw out again. Jaysus.

His 7th injury this season.

Carrick out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

A lot of people do think that and will think that. It's not uncommon.
    It's all subjective but he is up thre for sure with personal bias/nostalgia/subjective opinions making up the top 10

The thing is every best player of his generation is probably going to be the greatest player every due to the level of training they recieve, their fitness levels, diet etc all better than the last generations. Unfortunetly there will probably never be a gauge where you can adjust for inflation on abilities over the years.

You transport messi and ronaldo bak 100 years they probably get arrested and accused of being Aliens

In Sanchez's last 45 games in La Liga he's got 27 goals 19 assists

In Bale's 50 games in the league he has 28 goals 19 assists

How much did Sanchez cost Arsenal in the end, 35 million?

yea but barca were desperate to sell as they had invested an incredible £80m into getting neymar, £40m that went directly to Neymar's fathers back pocket. Also Sanchez wanted to join arsenal which made the negotiations all the more easier for arsenal.

What the hell happens at Carrington? Didn't Shaw have a really good injury record at Southampton? Yet again, I have to think there needs to be a serious look at what United are doing that results in the players getting injured so often. It simply cannot be bad luck.

adox wrote: »
    Anyone who saw Maradona play would be hard pressed to say there has been a better player since imo.

Ronaldo and messi have each both scored more goals in the last 6 seasons than Maradona scored in his entire career :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

bangkok wrote: »
    Ronaldo and messi have each both scored more goals in the last 6 seasons than Maradona scored in his entire career :eek:

Apples and oranges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

adox wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Plus, his contribution to Argentina winning in 86 and winning the title with Napoli (twice) is some achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What the hell happens at Carrington? Didn't Shaw have a really good injury record at Southampton? Yet again, I have to think there needs to be a serious look at what United are doing that results in the players getting injured so often. It simply cannot be bad luck.

Are you really implying that at a state of the art medical facility and highly qualified and experienced medical staff and coaching staff are doing nothing but picking their holes?

Or that they generally don't have an idea of what they are doing?

bangkok wrote: »

FFS, lets punish Zidane for his goal record also.

Are you really implying that at a state of the art medical facility and highly qualified and experienced medical staff and coaching staff are doing nothing but picking their holes?

Or that they generally don't have an idea of what they are doing?
    Maybe they are over training the players. Maybe the type of training is wrong. I don't know.

Shaw played 25 games his first year in the prem - was this because he was young, rotating with another player or injured?

Shaw played 35 PL games last season - so not injured often, mostly available.

This season, at United, he has missed a load of matches through injury. Why is this? Why is this season showing him to be injury prone when this was not evident before? It is not like United had a punishing fixture schedule - we could hardly have played less games this season.

Its not just Shaw. Are United just terrible at performing medicals, or are we constantly just unlucky with injury prone players?

The amount of injuries we suffer is incredible, and I have to think there is something being done incorrectly that is contributing to these injuries. I just can't accept that every year we have bad luck with injuries. every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Forget where I saw it but seemingly of all the Premiership clubs Utd have the worst injury record this season so far.....hard to know how something like that is calculated but there must be something wrong considering Utd would have one of most sophisticated training set ups and decent staff in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh Diego <3

Maradona%2527s+Best+Goal.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The manager also tells #MUTV that Phil Jones is fit but will have his match rhythm assessed, while Robin van Persie is available

This is fantastic. :D I wonder what the test is for that.

Whether or not he can do this in front of his team mates

white-kid-dance-club.gif

astradave wrote: »
    Oh Diego <3

Maradona%2527s+Best+Goal.gif

Id say most lads on boards would run faster than peter reid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

=ericzeking;95298374
    And people rarely mention keepers.

Keepers ha all their seconds names are snow to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Keepers ha all their seconds names are snow to me

So you're saying all keepers are bastards? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Agh is this whole Ronaldo v messi stuff not getting a bit off topic??

Neither plays for United or will in the near future so could we leave it off this Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Louis van gaal on next season:

"Next year can be different because we will have a different squad." #mulive

Summer should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Maybe they are over training the players. Maybe the type of training is wrong. I don't know.

Shaw played 25 games his first year in the prem - was this because he was young, rotating with another player or injured?

Shaw played 35 PL games last season - so not injured often, mostly available.

This season, at United, he has missed a load of matches through injury. Why is this? Why is this season showing him to be injury prone when this was not evident before? It is not like United had a punishing fixture schedule - we could hardly have played less games this season.

Its not just Shaw. Are United just terrible at performing medicals, or are we constantly just unlucky with injury prone players?

The amount of injuries we suffer is incredible, and I have to think there is something being done incorrectly that is contributing to these injuries. I just can't accept that every year we have bad luck with injuries. every year.

I get where you're coming from. It's like you trusting some journalists when I don't.

I trust the staff working there to know what they are doing. Maybe it's because we have very high standards of training levels to attain to be picked in the matchday team and would push themselves.
    I can only imagine competition is very tough for places on the team, we are the most successful team in the leauge after all.
    Just a hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With Shaw, Rojo, Evans, Carrick out, hopefully we line up with Young as LB and Rooney as striker.

Hoping for
    De Gea

Valencia Jones Smalling Young

Blind

Mata Herrera Fellaini DiMaria

Rooney

Expecting:
    De Gea

Valencia Jones Smalling Blind

Rooney

Mata Herrera Fellaini Young

RVP