Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

When teams park the bus, we can't do anything about it. We're totally devoid of any imagination.

Teams are delighted to give us the ball and watch us dink balls out wide from Rooney to a player who takes the ball down, stands there, waits for the opposition to get back into position and passes it back out to Rooney in the middle.

We're very lucky Liverpool have stumbled a bit lately.

Squeeky bum time is upon us.

Rooney in midfield. Making RVP drop back.. Just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

That was awful stuff lads, Di Maria rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Could this summer be the summer to cash in on Rooney?

Do you not think this highlights we need a midfielder not selling a striker who was played out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I don't think Rooney was too bad. He wasn't great but he wasn't the worst either. We constantly slowed the game down and tried to play through the centre rather than try to break with pace and exploit space out wide. A lot of that comes down to Valencia and Young. They are simply not good enough to be in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That was muck. Rooney was putrid

As was Di Maria

Mata and McNair weren't much better

Liverpool have to go away to Chelsea can't see them getting anything so we should fall over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Di maria can f*ck off for me. The lad cost a fortune, getting paid a fortune and he just does not give a sh!t.

Just once did he try and beat his man today, all he does is play a long ball as soon as he picks it up. Would much prefer to see Januzaj playing, at least he tries different things, is full of energy and is young so can only improve with experience.
    If psg were offering 40 million for Di Maria id bite theor hand off for it.

And this may seem like an overreaction to another frustrating result but its much more than that. The man just doesn't look like he has the strength to play in England, and to make it much worse he just doesn't seem to care.
    Complete opposite to Falcao who things haven't worked out for but he gives his all and genuinely seems to care about the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Well that was terrible no imagination in the team what so ever. The second half tactics were terrible from LVG.

Fellani was bad offered nothing but Rooney was just terrible needs to dropped immediately.

Actually thought RVP played well today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If a lad put in them crosses in a Sunday league game you would excuse him because he is probably dying from the night before

But Di Maria!! My god,there are no words

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Liverpool now very much back in it for 4th... Chelsea have shown the league how to stop us scoring - we can have 70%+ of the ball and do very little with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's just so ****ing predictable. Not one player apart from Young trying to go past a player.

Tempo brutal. Passing by numbers, no one taking a risk trying to beat their man.

Rooney in midfield is just ludicrous at this stage. He offers little to nothing there. He actually slows the game further if that is possible.

Seriously doing their best to throw away fourth place.

Three games without a goal, three defeats, five goals conceded.

I don't know about you lot but I am utterly depressed from a footballing point of view watching that and the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Worse than Newcastle today, no way DDG should stay they had 3 shots on target and one was the deflected goal, shameful absolute ****e. It will take a miracle to attract players this summer if this continues, sell the bloody lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KH25 wrote: »
    I don't think Rooney was too bad. He wasn't great but he wasn't the worst either. We constantly slowed the game down and tried to play through the centre rather than try to break with pace and exploit space out wide. A lot of that comes down to Valencia and Young. They are simply not good enough to be in the starting 11.

Rooney was our worst player today imo...he wasn't putrid but he was poor. Well if you disregard Di Maria coming on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Worse than Newcastle today, no way DDG should stay they had 3 shots on target and one was the deflected goal, shameful absolute ****e. It will take a miracle to attract players this summer if this continues, sell the bloody lot of them.

De Gea or any gk in the world would have a chance against that shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Wow, steady on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Sand

sky88 wrote: »
    Well that was terrible no imagination in the team what so ever. The second half tactics were terrible from LVG.

Fellani was bad offered nothing but Rooney was just terrible needs to dropped immediately.

Actually thought RVP played well today

RVP missed a penalty, gave possession away cheaply (including a bizarre pass under no pressure into the sidelines) and slowed play down consistently whenever he got on the ball. "Well" is not the description I'd use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

People who say Rooney has been OK or not as bad as so and so need to realise he is the captain and should be putting in a shift. bloody useless and cant pass for ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Rooney in midfield. Making RVP drop back.. Just stupid.

LVG didn't learn anything from the last time he put Rooney in midfield.... he's doing his best to convince me that he's a spoofed. ... He stumbled across that formation for the good run that seems a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Complete disaster.

Valencia and Young get far too much of the ball and do far too little with it. Vallencia in particular is pure stink. Di Maria was truly woeful in his cameo. He looks a broken man. The ref certainly didn't help matters either, I thought some of his decisions were shocking but that's not a good enough excuse for us not to beat West Brom at OT.

Carrick out for the last 3 games and 3 losses. His presence in front of that back 4 is so badly missed. The teams shape and tempo is all over the place when he's not playing.

We have now made it more difficult again for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

glued wrote: »
    Rooney and Valencia need to go. Both consistently rubbish this year.

Rooney has been excellent when he's played as a striker. The problem is the midfield and the fullbacks and the manager who has chosen to play Rooney and RVP in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Wouldn't be confident going into any of the last 3 games. Also Chelsea will have the title wrapped up before the play Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Team for next season

De Gea
    Clyne Hummels Laporte Rojo
    Pogba Herrera Gundogan
    Bale Muller Depay

After a mass sale of players :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd have no problems getting a silly amount of cash from PSG for DiMaria now. Put it towards Bale or Depay and try get Verratti.

He's seriously shocking at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When a penalty is saved why is it always referred to as a "missed penalty"? Why not call it a saved penalty? IMO it doesnt give the GK the credit he deserves for stopping the shot and can reflect harshly on a player who may have taken a perfectly good shot but just failed to beat the keeper. To me a missed penalty is one that failed to hit the target.

Just one of those little things that annoy me when I see it!

In general you may have a point. But that penalty was missed. Myhill dived well before RVP kicked it but he didn't have the quickness of thought to change his mind and put it down the middle. And it was at the archetypal "right height for a keeper."

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Liverpool have to go away to Chelsea can't see them getting anything so we should fall over the line.

Chelsea will have the league well in the bag by then.

4th is by no means secured.

Worse than Newcastle today?

GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sand wrote: »
    RVP missed a penalty

He didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

United doing their best to throw away the CL spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Di Maria should be gotten rid of during the Summer. £59.7m and he cannot cross a ball, absolute shambles. LVG won't be long getting pushed out either if he persists with Rooney in midfield. You play your best striker in his best position, why can't he see this? He's wasted in midfield and contributes nothing, he hasn't the attributes for it. A shocking performance yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

dubmick wrote: »
    Wouldn't be confident going into any of the last 3 games. Also Chelsea will have the title wrapped up before the play Liverpool.

Luckily for us, Jose will always want a good performance against Liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Luckily for us, Jose will always want a good performance against Liverpool.

I'd worry Jose will try and **** us up, and be happier seeing Pool in Europe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People will repeat the same old reliant on Carrick rhetoric. It's false imo. The problem is that when United come up against a good physical midfield and back four Fellaini can't do as much through the middle as normal. He can still have a good effect but shoving him up front isn't the answer in these situations.

It's the lack of an attacker who can do something in tight spaces and has close control around the box through the middle. Mata in there may have made a difference today but it's hard to tell. United need a player in the Messi mould. I'm fully aware how stupid that sounds as he is a once in a lifetime player but the likes of Tevez, Aguero, (from what I'm told) Dybala. Just someone who can beat a player in tight spaces around the box. Fellaini can't carry the team in an attacking sense every week, no player can, there needs to be some sort of other tactic to penetrate through the middle and stop the predictable pass out wide and shít cross.

Almost sick of saying "if Moyes did that" but if he'd pushed Fellaini up front like that today he'd have been called clueless and the daggers would be out and rightly so, because it was fúcking clueless management of the highest order and it's reared it's head a lot more than people will admit this season. Just lucky Liverpool have had their problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Di Maria is woefully low on confidence, he should have started today, not come on in such a high pressure situation. Even when he plays ****e he still forces the keeper to make a super save.

No, no, it's the fault of the players around him. If you analyse his game to death you can find somebody else to blame for every mistake he made.

He is a centre forward. The problem today was Van Gaal playing him out of position. RVP suffered the same fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Di Maria was great at Madrid as the standard around him was far superior to what we have this season, he would have been great in the 98/99 team but not this one, sell him before his reputation gets further ruined and buy Hummels or Depay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

#welldonefellaini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

bangkok wrote: »
    #welldonefellaini

Ah now, he wasn't the worst today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

After Tonight's Result -

Crystal Palace (A)
    Arsenal (H)
    Hull (A)

6/9 (5/9 in reality with GD) Points will now secure Champions League Football

Maximum Points Spurs/Pool can now get is 70 - United on 65.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

We are far too slow in the build up. The opposition has too much time to regroup. I feel we desperately need to change the tactics against teams who are gonna defend for the game.

Di Maria looked shot of confidence. He had flashes of brilliance and then some very poor play. Also, use better studs!

Can't remember United having not scored in 3 PL games in a row, nevermind lost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

#welldonefellaini

Well done LVG. .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Could this summer be the summer to cash in on Rooney?

He should have been sold 2 season ago when PSG or Chelsea were willing to pay huge money for him and Ferguson rightly wanted him out.
    PSG are tied by FFP now and Chelsea wont buy him so there wouldn't likely be any big suitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Too many balls getting passed sideways instead of forward today. RVP, Rooney, Mata, and Herrera all have the skill to deal with receiving the ball under pressure and then passing to a team mate or turning.

When they park the bus we need to take more risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

On the contrary, I thought Fellani was one of our better players. I thought RVP did well apart from his peno miss as well.

• Last post of the evening. I need a beer or 10 after that.

There keeper was class but it doesn't excuse the result we should be beating a team that does nothing other than defend.

I'm gutted with that result but hate to toot my own horn, I saw it coming.
    We are never going to break down a rigid defense with a Striker playing in midfield.
    The surge of great results we had was all down to Carrick.

Crystal Palace is a massive concern next week. Are we actually going to throw away a CL spot?
    The biggest worry is we have not scored a single goel in 3 games now and palace are playing some great stuff recently.
    Every other team can read us like a book now and we don't have a plan B. The same issues were there when carrick was missing earlier in the season and they have reared there ugly head yet again.

McNair didn't need to take fletcher out but his inexperiance showed as it did last week for the first Goal everton scored.

Di Maria made me nearly throw the remote against the wall with his performance.

Rooney with his hollywood bull****!

Right **** it booze time

• Advertisement

#welldonefellaini

You deny you dislike Fellaini and don't get onto him too much.

Yet when their are 5 or 6 worse players out their today your first post is to come on and get onto him its pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Di Maria was great at Madrid as the standard around him was far superior to what we have this season, he would have been great in the 98/99 team but not this one, sell him before his reputation gets further ruined and buy Hummels or Depay.

Di Maria was always a streaky player for Real ,I've seen him play alot of matches where he was atrocious and couldn't cross a pass .
    You'd be tearing your hair out watching him.

He is like Nani ,he blows hot and cold ,he can be very good but equally he can be rubbish.

People wrongly believe that Di Maria was Real's best player last season ,he wasnt ,Modric and Ronaldo were .

Today's performance was nothing to do with the players around him. He was just ****e. Low in confidence and nearly everything went wrong for him. It's a cop out to use the standard of the Madrid team as an excuse.

Even being utterly ****e today he put in one peach of a ball and nearly scored. Utd are severely lacking in players with pace and who will take their man on. Di Maria is one of them. Patience, no matter how frustrating it it, is needed with him.

Still think it was ludicrous sending Nani out on loan. The answer to these teams that park the bus and stay compact is to get the bloody ball out wide, have players run at them so they are turned, not bloody try and play through them as we don't have th players to do it. It's playing into these teams hand letting them keep their compact shape, facing the ball for the whole match, never being turned or running towards their own goal.

The lack of speed in the pass, the tempo to the game has exaggerated the problems IMO. So bloody frustrating to watch.

Liam O wrote: »
    People will repeat the same old reliant on Carrick rhetoric. It's false imo. The problem is that when United come up against a good physical midfield and back four Fellaini can't do as much through the middle as normal. He can still have a good effect but shoving him up front isn't the answer in these situations.

It's the lack of an attacker who can do something in tight spaces and has close control around the box through the middle. Mata in there may have made a difference today but it's hard to tell. United need a player in the Messi mould. I'm fully aware how stupid that sounds as he is a once in a lifetime player but the likes of Tevez, Aguero, (from what I'm told) Dybala. Just someone who can beat a player in tight spaces around the box. Fellaini can't carry the team in an attacking sense every week, no player can, there needs to be some sort of other tactic to penetrate through the middle and stop the predictable pass out wide and shít cross.

Almost sick of saying "if Moyes did that" but if he'd pushed Fellaini up front like that today he'd have been called clueless and the daggers would be out and rightly so, because it was fúcking clueless management of the highest order and it's reared it's head a lot more than people will admit this season. Just lucky Liverpool have had their problems.

I agree with this.

I'd say that Fellaini, Herrera and Mata are carrying all the creativity around the box. Dropping Herrera deeper and replacing him with Rooney and RVP in those positions hasn't a hope of working - their skills are leading the line and finishing. Young works hard, but doesn't have enough quality.

One or two quality attacking midfielders (wingers and/or central) plus Di Maria returning to form would solve these problems imo.

Agree with the Moyes talk too. It was ridiculous management to be pushing Fellaini up onto the centre-backs. It's also poor that LVG didn't foresee and address these problems when he either of the transfer windows was open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

How was Nani allowed go on loan and Valencia kept as our only recognised RW?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement