Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Di Maria should be gotten rid of during the Summer. £59.7m and he cannot cross a ball, absolute shambles. LVG won't be long getting pushed out either if he persists with Rooney in midfield. You play your best striker in his best position, why can't he see this? He's wasted in midfield and contributes nothing, he hasn't the attributes for it. A shocking performance yet again.

DiMaria doesn't seem to give a ****, it's a disgrace to professional football the money him and falcao and their likes pickup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

We'll probably fall over the line because Liverpool and Spurs are a bit sh*te too but we can't complain if we don't get top 4.

There's actually 3 decent games left for United, can't see Palace or Arsenal getting everyone behind the ball. Hull may but they're not great defensively so should be easier to break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Di Maria isn't arsed. He got shunted out of Real Madrid, despite being excellent all last year, to pay for the signing of Rodriguez and ended up in a medicore UTD side simply because we were the only club who could afford him. Deep down I bet he resents that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DiMaria doesn't seem to give a ****, it's a disgrace to professional football the money him and falcao and their likes pickup.

Yeah he should love going from being at the top of the world, European champion, WC runner up, to coming on after 60 minutes because your team went 1-0 down at home to West Brom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You deny you dislike Fellaini and don't get onto him too much.

Yet when their are 5 or 6 worse players out their today your first post is to come on and get onto him its pathetic really.

He's not worth bothering with. He point blank refuses to engage honestly on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would ye trust Louis with another £150 million this summer? Cant see why anyone would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would ye trust Louis with another £150 million this summer? Cant see why anyone would.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liam O wrote: »
    People will repeat the same old reliant on Carrick rhetoric. It's false imo. .

+1

We had 80% of the ball but still couldn't score,WBA spent most of the game camped within 30 yards of their goal.Carrick wouldn't have made a difference.Without an attacking threat down one side we were squeezed into the middle and the left hand side then simply ran out of room.Our forward line lacks pace and we seemed to be playing with 4 number 10's at one stage with no CF to work off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You deny you dislike Fellaini and don't get onto him too much.

Yet when their are 5 or 6 worse players out their today your first post is to come on and get onto him its pathetic really.

sheer frustration to be honest. losing at home to west brom, sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I do think if, and it's a big if, Liverpool get maximum points from their last three games they will finish in fourth.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    He's not worth bothering with. He point blank refuses to engage honestly on the topic.

that is false, i have said before what fellaini has to his game and what he lacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    I do think if, and it's a big if, Liverpool get maximum points from their last three games they will finish in fourth.

I agree

I can't see us picking up 5 points. We will lose one of the remaining 3 games imo

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree

I can't see us picking up 5 points. We will lose one of the remaining 3 games imo

Yep. I have us getting four points maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    that is false, i have said before what fellaini has to his game and what he lacks

You have and I somewhat agree with your assessment. But you still blamed him just now when it wasn't his fault today. Although you've said now that that was just frustration.

That's honest, fair play. I take it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

I agree

Have to agree with this. It will go down to the last day in my opinion. We should have the 4th place wrapped up already. Its a bloody shambles that we are needing other teams to do us a favour by taking points of Liverpool.

It's been annoying watching us get within shooting range then playing the ball wide,WBA scored from a deflection.We rarely got a chance to do that,Rooney had several chances to shoot yet went wide to Mata or Val and attacks broke down.Have a bloody shot now and again,you never know-it might actually lead to a goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Two rubbish sides battling for fourth, sums up the Prem really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

zerks wrote: »
    +1

We had 80% of the ball but still couldn't score,WBA spent most of the game camped within 30 yards of their goal.Carrick wouldn't have made a difference.Without an attacking threat down one side we were squeezed into the middle and the left hand side then simply ran out of room.Our forward line lacks pace and we seemed to be playing with 4 number 10's at one stage with no CF to work off.

What annoys me is that nobody seems to be able to beat a man or go on a run or have a shot.

There's far too much trying to pass the ball into the net and Utd simply don't have enough technically good players with fast feet to do that .

billyhead wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. It will go down to the last day in my opinion. We should have the 4th place wrapped up already. Its a bloody shambles that we are needing other teams to do us a favour by taking points of Liverpool.

Tbf, it's just predications and it's incorrect to say we are relying on other teams to do us favours.

It's still in Utds hands. They can even afford to lose one of three games and still finish fourth. I just don't see it happening.(winning two of the last three and I am saying this soon after Utds third game in a row)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fellaini is the problem in our team, we are too one dimensional when he plays.

72% possession across the last 3 games yet we have not scored one goal. The problem is the final 3rd and playing one striker plus Fellaini against a sitting back 4 plus holding CMs just won't work.

As to how LVG can't see this, is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I still think there's one big performance left in this team this season. I predict 7 points from the last 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

adox wrote: »

Chelsea up next for them, who will be more than likely be after a week of partying.

Then Crystal Palace at home, who knows what'll happen there.

Stoke away on the final day. If Liverpool have something to play for, they'll win that. Stoke are a bit shít.

7 from 9 is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

And where would you rate United compared to to the other teams around the world?

By that logic, 95% of teams are rubbish, and the likes of Real, Bayern etc. are the only good ones?

Let's not get carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fellaini is the problem in our team, we are too one dimensional when he plays.

72% possession across the last 3 games yet we have not scored one goal. The problem is the final 3rd and playing one striker plus Fellaini against a sitting back 4 plus holding CMs just won't work.

As to how LVG can't see this, is shocking.

I'm sure LVG sees the problem, he just is factoring more into his decisions and seeing a different solution.

Even with Fellaini in the team WBA should have been well beaten. They only got their goal from a bizarre deflection and RVP missed a penalty and had Myhill to thank for several good saves.

Fellani is such an easy target (no pun intended) with a lot of you. Who else would you start then? Falcao? Di Maria? Both offered little when they came on.

I'm frustrated like many of you but If you meander into saying we should have a different way of playing, then blame the tactics. That's nothing got to do with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Last post of the evening. I need a beer or 10 after that.

There keeper was class but it doesn't excuse the result we should be beating a team that does nothing other than defend.

I'm gutted with that result but hate to toot my own horn, I saw it coming.
    We are never going to break down a rigid defense with a Striker playing in midfield.
    The surge of great results we had was all down to Carrick.

Crystal Palace is a massive concern next week. Are we actually going to throw away a CL spot?
    The biggest worry is we have not scored a single goel in 3 games now and palace are playing some great stuff recently.
    Every other team can read us like a book now and we don't have a plan B. The same issues were there when carrick was missing earlier in the season and they have reared there ugly head yet again.

McNair didn't need to take fletcher out but his inexperiance showed as it did last week for the first Goal everton scored.

Di Maria made me nearly throw the remote against the wall with his performance.

Rooney with his hollywood bull****!

Right **** it booze time

I'll meet you in doyles at half 12. I'll be sitting in the dark.

What annoys me is that nobody seems to be able to beat a man or go on a run .

There's far too much trying to pass the ball into the net and Utd simply don't have enough technically good players with fast feet to do that .

All the ball but no sharpness or finesse to finish off chances.

I know I keep harping on about him but Valencia is atrocious.It pains me to watch attacks die due to him dithering and playing backwards or finding space then waiting to be closed down before smashing the ball against the defender,it's as if he thinks winning a corner is some kind of achievement.

After last weeks shambles and the team not being "mentally right",why wasn't Rooney pushing his team mates on,cajoling and shouting instead of strolling around and playing hollywood sideways balls? Another piss poor performance from him,I don't care if he played deep,how many runs did he make forward? A big fat zero,made it so easy to defend against.

LVG should be more vexed tonight than even last week,we looked toothless and one dimensional instead of the "lets show them what United are about and beat this crowd".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I agree

We can still afford to do that, so long as we win the other two. We can lose two games so long as Liverpool don't pick up maximum points or score a hatful of goals, which they wont.
    billyhead wrote: »

We don't - United pick up 5 points from the next 9 and it doesn't matter what Liverpool do. Its entirely in the teams power, and they've quite a bit of room for screwing up and still being entirely safe.

No need to panic. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Penetration has been a issue for awhile. Just park the bus v united and you stand a great chance.

The fact we hand out easy goals is a bonus.

Nearly 5 hours without a goal is not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

ah yeah cause Barca and Madrid winning by about 6 goals regularly makes for a more competitive league.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    How was Nani allowed go on loan and Valencia kept as our only recognised RW?

Becuase Valencia is playing right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fellani is such an easy target (no pun intended) with a lot of you. Who else would you start then? Falcao? Di Maria? Both offered little when they came on.

I'm frustrated like many of you but If you meander into saying we should have a different way of playing, then blame the tactics. That's nothing got to do with him.

Our tactics are build around him. we had RVP playing in midfield today for 30 mins.

We are chasing a goal and Fellaini is our striker. Absolutely fu*king shocking.

Fellaini is as limited a footballer as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ah yeah cause Barca and Madrid winning by about 6 goals regularly makes for a more competitive league.

Just beacause a league is competitive doesnt mean its of good quality.

You cant argue that its been a very poor Premier League this season.
    Utd have been woeful to watch bar a spell of about one month , Liverpool have been harmless,Chelsea have been Chelsea,effective but ugly and City have been inconsistent as usual.

Liverpool have only scored 47 goals so far this season,they managed over 100 last year ,just goes to show how valuable Suarez and to a lesser extent Sturridge were.
    City also scored over 100 goals last season ,they are this seasons highest scorers with 70 ,which is very low.

Good defending in the league cannot be used as an excuse for the low amount of goals scored because the standard of defending is definitely on the wane as highlighted by the English teams poor defending in Europe.

In Spain ,most teams will try to play football ,they will often try to match fire with fire ,even if its often foolhardy ,its just the style of football that these people have grown up playing .

If Real Madrid and Barcelona were put into the Premier league they would still win it every year ,I have no doubt they would ,and they would win it at a canter.
    There wouldn't be as many hidings for the lower table sides ,primarily because they would all try to park the bus but they would lose nonetheless.

All this extra money being pumped into the league certainly isn't improving the standard of football ,its leading to massive inflation .

Do you think Utd would get top 4 in Spain if they were in that league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Was going to write a post but what's the point when it's the exact same as the below, did Van Gaal talk about possession post game?

At this stage im praying we have done enough to get top 4 so we can buy a few players and try sort the problem

LVG seems to struggle with the concept of a parked bus, it's happened 7 or 8 times this season that a team has just sat back and with all of our possession we've looked clueless as to how to go about breaking through. And then post game Van Gaal points to how much possession we've had as if it's a massive positive when in reality it is an insignificant fact, having more possession isn't progress when you try break down a super defensive team if you aren't creating any chances.

In a game of fetch the dog holds most of the ball but that doesn't mean he's in control, next season we have to have a plan worked out to beat these teams. Chelsea have done it when it mattered this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yeah he should love going from being at the top of the world, European champion, WC runner up, to coming on after 60 minutes because your team went 1-0 down at home to West Brom

Ah come on, nobody wants him to love it.

But there is such a thing as professionalism. This means always being ready to do your job and give it your best at all times. This is an absolute minimum when you're earning what these guys are.

There's more pressure on our politicians and civil servants to justify their wages and they're on a fraction of the money; work longer hours and arguably take more abuse.

Watching the NFL draft at the moment and think football could learn a thing or two about vetting players character and hunger. It's a lot more important than people think.

Of course NFL teams get it wrong as well but I think more attention is paid to the intangibles. When you're paying these kind of wages, there has to be some kind of minimum standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Nice strawman.

Just beacause a league is competitive doesnt mean its of good quality.

You cant argue that its been a very poor Premier League this season.
    Utd have been woeful to watch bar a spell of about one month , Liverpool have been harmless,Chelsea have been Chelsea,effective but ugly and City have been inconsistent as usual.

Liverpool have only scored 47 goals so far this season,they managed over 100 last year ,just goes to show how valuable Suarez and to a lesser extent Sturridge were.
    City also scored over 100 goals last season ,they are this seasons highest scorers with 70 ,which is very low.

Good defending in the league cannot be used as an excuse for the low amount of goals scored because the standard of defending is definitely on the wane as highlighted by the English teams poor defending in Europe.

In Spain ,most teams will try to play football ,they will often try to match fire with fire ,even if its often foolhardy ,its just the style of football that these people have grown up playing .

If Real Madrid and Barcelona were put into the Premier league they would still win it every year ,I have no doubt they would ,and they would win it at a canter.
    There wouldn't be as many hidings for the lower table sides ,primarily because they would all try to park the bus but they would lose nonetheless.

All this extra money being pumped into the league certainly isn't improving the standard of football ,its leading to massive inflation .

Parking the bus and playing defensive is a perfectly legitimate way of playing. There is no one way to play, no correct way.
    You need to adjust tactics to each game, west brom did that and won.

Ah come on, nobody wants him to love it.

But there is such a thing as professionalism. This means always being ready to do your job and give it your best at all times. This is an absolute minimum when you're earning what these guys are.

There's more pressure on our politicians and civil servants to justify their wages and they're on a fraction of the money; work longer hours and arguably take more abuse.

Watching the NFL draft at the moment and think football could learn a thing or two about vetting players character and hunger. It's a lot more important than people think.

Of course NFL teams get it wrong as well but I think more attention is paid to the intangibles. When you're paying these kind of wages, there has to be some kind of minimum standards.

What makes you qualified to know exactly how determined a player is?

Such idiotic nonsense. You don't get to where he is by not caring.

Our tactics are build around him. we had RVP playing in midfield today for 30 mins.

We are chasing a goal and Fellaini is our striker. Absolutely fu*king shocking.

Fellaini is as limited a footballer as it gets.

No we aren't! Fellani IS an easy target because he has obvious flaws, but he has great strengths. We put him up top to replace RVP to get Robin more into the game. When Fellani pushed up RVP put in some good passes and had a great shot at goal. None of our strikers can hold up the ball against an 11 man defence apart from him. He did a decent job considering the rest of the teams performance.

RVP was working off scraps all game until that shift happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

What makes you qualified to know exactly how determined a player is?

Such idiotic nonsense. You don't get to where he is by not caring.

No but sometimes you can get there and stop caring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are people really taking from that game that the tactic is to hoof it up to Fellaini? The problem is that they are too reliant on the easy pass out wide instead of into areas that can actually make a difference. It's not Fellaini's fault he's played in silly positions when he'd be more suited to the role the actual strikers were played in. He was fine in the first half, a lot of very nice layoffs and passes to United players. Moves up front and the team shape was all over the place. Blaming anyone other than LVG for that loss is wrong.

Heat maps here,shows how little our attackers got into the WBA box.Rooney spent most of the game occupying a ten yard square section of the pitch and did little else.

When we were playing good attacking football a while back,we had runners into the box,moving laterally won't unlock a defence but it's a tactic we seem intent on carrying out game after game lately.Yes we had chances today but it was akin to pub football with the ball bouncing around the area before being hoofed clear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures.html#s2014-m755648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

zerks wrote: »
    Heat maps here,shows how little our attackers got into the WBA box.Rooney spent most of the game occupying a ten yard square section of the pitch and did little else.

Wasnt it a record of some sort in terms of touches in the oppositions box? Could have sworn I heard something along those lines at the end of the game on Sky

No but sometimes you can get there and stop caring.

Absolute nonsense.

Same as bringing in the public sector wages, just ignorant nonsense. I work in the private sector before you think I work in the public.

You are in no position to determine if a player cares or not. To me he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And who's to blame for his fall from grace ? Ancellotti ? LVG ? If he played to his bloody ability he'd be starting regaularly, LVG couldn't keep him outta the team.

Hat trick for Henriquez today for Dinamo Zagreb,17 in 22 for him so far this season.I wish some of the strikers at the club could be as prolific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thought we had Arsenal next

Palace will do the exact same, lose and we are in big trouble

Wasnt it a record of some sort in terms of touches in the oppositions box? Could have sworn I heard something along those lines at the end of the game on Sky

All well and good getting touches if it involves knocking the ball back or wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

No one every dribbles past a man.
    No one shoots from long range.
    Full backs not over lapping and getting to the by line.

If your going to have lots of poossesion you need to pull the oppositions players out of position and make space just passing it around is aimless to say the least. Once the team holds its shape they have a good chance of keeping us to a few chances.

Going to long passes to Fellaini as plan B is silly, there are better ways to take higher risks, we dont even do it well as no one gets around him for the knock downs.

So much you could critises today but it showed we are lacking in midfield aswell I know Rooney and RVP in midfield was a joke but there was no one to bring on. Actually I guess he could have moved Mata in now I think about it.

Have to lay that one at LVGs feet.

• Advertisement

we cant buy a goal and there goes ronaldo, another hat trick away to seville. machine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement