Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

zerks wrote: »
    Hat trick for Henriquez today for Dinamo Zagreb,17 in 22 for him so far this season.I wish some of the strikers at the club could be as prolific.

He can take over as first choice keeper next season with numbers like that. LVG probably already has the spot open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Absolute nonsense.

Same as bringing in the public sector wages, just ignorant nonsense. I work in the private sector before you think I work in the public.

You are in no position to determine if a player cares or not. To me he did.

:D How many times are you going to say nonsense? This is an opinions board after all! I know this isn't the most hospitable place at the best of times :)

So you think footballers are accountable for the sums they earn? I just think there should be a little more accountability. Their contacts are mainly airtight allowing many players to sit out the rest of their contract phoning it in and still collecting their full wedge.

There has been rumblings about performance related pay lately mainly emanating non-coincidently from the American owners in the league.

I do think the pendulum has swung the other way in the NFL though with players treated as mere commodities, discarded callously when their bodies give up. Football on the other hand is skewed too much to the players.

But it's a difficult balancing act I'll admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

All well and good getting touches if it involves knocking the ball back or wide.

So if the heat map shows we didn't get into the box much, and the touches was a record.... what does that say? Genuinely puzzled! One must be wrong no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

bangkok wrote: »
    we cant buy a goal and there goes ronaldo, another hat trick away to seville. machine

That was a cracking match ,the Utd match earlier was like pub league in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

That was a cracking match ,the Utd match earlier was like pub league in comparison.

brilliant game, ronaldos hat trick goal was class

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No one shoots from long range.

This annoys me, honestly, especially given Rooney is in our midfield and is "renowned" for his long shot crackers. When RVP got dropped back, you could see he was still taking shots, hoping for deflections. Rooney is way too fond of the Hollywood passes and seems to refuse to take the shot until two defenders are a foot away from him :/

In fairness to DiMaria and Herrera, I felt they had some decent tries but no one capable of getting on the end of them. Young and Valencia tried but failed, the latter at a shockingly consistent rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I likened our play over the last couple of games to Arsenal a few seasons ago. Boss possession, try walk it into the net, lead a very high line and leave gaping holes at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

:D How many times are you going to say nonsense? This is an opinions board after all! I know this isn't the most hospitable place at the best of times :)

So you think footballers are accountable for the sums they earn? I just think there should be a little more accountability. There contacts are mainly airtight allowing many players to sit out the rest of their contract phoning it in and still collecting their full wedge.

There has been rumblings about performance related pay lately mainly emanating non-coincidently from the American owners in the league.

I do think the pendulum has swung the other way in the NFL though with players treated as mere commodities, discarded callously when their bodies give up. Football on the other hand is skewed too much to the players.

But it's a difficult balancing act I'll admit.

Nonsense, I don't say nonsense enough, more nonsense.

To be honest, I would have a hard time justifying my wage, but it's the market rate, I moved job recently for a pay increase doing the same thing but I have less work, should I just give them back a few grand??
    I just wouldn't doubt a sportsman who devotes his life to sport.

But performance fees should be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just beacause a league is competitive doesnt mean its of good quality.

You cant argue that its been a very poor Premier League this season.
    Utd have been woeful to watch bar a spell of about one month , Liverpool have been harmless,Chelsea have been Chelsea,effective but ugly and City have been inconsistent as usual.

Liverpool have only scored 47 goals so far this season,they managed over 100 last year ,just goes to show how valuable Suarez and to a lesser extent Sturridge were.
    City also scored over 100 goals last season ,they are this seasons highest scorers with 70 ,which is very low.

Good defending in the league cannot be used as an excuse for the low amount of goals scored because the standard of defending is definitely on the wane as highlighted by the English teams poor defending in Europe.

In Spain ,most teams will try to play football ,they will often try to match fire with fire ,even if its often foolhardy ,its just the style of football that these people have grown up playing .

If Real Madrid and Barcelona were put into the Premier league they would still win it every year ,I have no doubt they would ,and they would win it at a canter.
    There wouldn't be as many hidings for the lower table sides ,primarily because they would all try to park the bus but they would lose nonetheless.

All this extra money being pumped into the league certainly isn't improving the standard of football ,its leading to massive inflation .

Do you think Utd would get top 4 in Spain if they were in that league?

I'd say this season's United would be in fifth behind this season's Valencia in la liga. Problems and all as there are, no way United qualify as a rubbish team in the grand scheme of things as the OP was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah he should love going from being at the top of the world, European champion, WC runner up, to coming on after 60 minutes because your team went 1-0 down at home to West Brom

It was still his choice to leave Madrid he signed the contract no one forced him he could have stayed on to fight for his place at Madrid if it meant so much to him ala Borini but at a different level.

He is not in the team cause his performance have been terrible this season even when he comes on as a sub so many sub standard performaces, pushed off the ball too easy, complaining to the ref while the ball trickles out of play instead of getting up and trying to win it back, 3-4 yard misplaced passes.

His whole attitude seems to stink and he is being kept out of the team on merit by young who as you know hasnt been much better than solid this season.

If he really doesnt want to stay and fight and try his best for a club who spent a hell of a lot of money on him then good luck to him we dont want you here.

Nice post earlier by the by about Mata

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Trilla wrote: »
    So if the heat map shows we didn't get into the box much, and the touches was a record.... what does that say? Genuinely puzzled! One must be wrong no?

Do headers count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I likened our play over the last couple of games to Arsenal a few seasons ago. Boss possession, try walk it into the net, lead a very high line and leave gaping holes at the back.

You need a keeper that occasionally goes walkabout too.

And you need to let the opposition score from their first shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

767 passes today. Surely can't be far off a PL record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The philosophy looks good when teams come out and try to play against us, passes draw players out and open up gaps

When a team sits back its just sterile possession football, we play side to side passes waiting for a player to get pulled out of position that never comes and then we're out of ideas

Van Gaal has to be proactive and try something else. Instead of doing the same thing and expecting different results, then we go a goal down and throw Fellaini up front

Out of interest, what are the "something else" options LVG has?

That's not me saying he doesn't need a Plan B, he does. I just don't know what the plan is when teams we're playing go full defensive, with the player's we've got available. :(

The chances of Di Maria leaving get more likely every week.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-02-at-19.56.22.png

300 passes in the last 3rd,26 shots and one penalty but we still couldn't score.I wonder if some of our players will come to realise that it's ok to run at a defender now and again.

Those stats are insane

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Don't know what to think of today. Was kind of drunk watching it so couldn't analyse the match as I would like. Simple fix though: bring back Nani! Exactly what we need right now, a midfielder who scores and creates goals while also putting in a solid defensive display. Why did we ever let him go?!

Those stats are insane

This will really blow your mind.Rooney & RVP's passes-is the 18 yard area the Bermuda Triangle? They seemed to go around it at every opportunity.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-02-at-20.55.47.png

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

That's not me saying he doesn't need a Plan B, he does. I just don't know what the plan is when teams we're playing go full defensive, with the player's we've got available. :(

Take on some lower %ed passes in the hope of unlocking the defence, getting the fullbacks to the by lines so the defence dont have it all happening in front of them, more dribbling, more shooting.

AND TELL YOU RIGHT BACK TO STOP KICKING THE BALL STRAIGHT AT THE FIRST MAN, sry but it kills me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

200 minutes without scoring a Goal. That's all you need to know

Take on some lower %ed passes in the hope of unlocking the defence, getting the fullbacks to the by lines so the defence dont have it all happening in front of them, more dribbling, more shooting.

AND TELL YOU RIGHT BACK TO STOP KICKING THE BALL STRAIGHT AT THE FIRST MAN, sry but it kills me too.

It's hilarious to see today that our 2 CB's seemed to run forward more with the ball than anyone else bar Young.

It's hilarious to see today that our 2 CB's seemed to run forward more with the ball than anyone else bar Young.

It really is frustrating and in my head Im calling out for Di Maria to come on but he just keeps slipping, getting pushed off the ball, or kicking it away. Rooney or Rvp should have come off from Januzi and then switched them at least he tries to beat a man take on a shot (quite badly this season) but its just the bitta difference matches like this need. sigh

I also miss Rafael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

200 minutes without scoring a Goal. That's all you need to know

Its closer to 300 ?

90 passes completed today for West Brom ,that's the lowest I have ever seen ,less than 1 a minute .

Those stats are like a football manager game, I have never seen stats like that.

Lets just load up our last save.

So the Moyes Gambit? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

J. Marston wrote: »
    Chelsea up next for them, who will be more than likely be after a week of partying.

Then Crystal Palace at home, who knows what'll happen there.

Stoke away on the final day. If Liverpool have something to play for, they'll win that. Stoke are a bit shít.

7 from 9 is my guess.

There is no way a Chelsea team will be underprepared to play Liverpool have a funny feeling we will want to put them to the sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its closer to 300 ?

90 passes completed today for West Brom ,that's the lowest I have ever seen ,less than 1 a minute .

Sorry ya you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Increase the risk tenfold, we've had average 65% possession in the last 3 games not scored one and lost all of them. It's not working, possession is gaining us nothing, we need more risky passing triangles, more dangerous runs, players being allowed break formation more to allow these things to happen. This all starts on the training ground, we've lost these 3 games and conceded 5 goals in the process so what do we have to lose being a little more unpredictable.

what are Giggs and LVG at if they analyse the last 3 games and can't see the problem, what did Van Gaal say to the team before the game today, "don't worry lads, it didn't work the last two times but possession will win us this game don't worry" it's insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Palace would be fools not to do the exact same as the 3 teams before them next weekend, it's an almost fool proof method of getting a result against United at this stage.

Today was the first day LVG got abuse going down the Tunnel at full time.

Di Maria got a lot also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

happy 40th birthday becks... 5 cracking goals to celebrate. how we could do with a player like him now

http://www.joe.ie/sport/manchester-united-post-david-beckhams-5-best-goals-on-his-40th-birthday/494353

Today was the first day LVG got abuse going down the Tunnel at full time.

Di Maria got a lot also.

Quite a swing from thinking we could challenge for the league a few weeks back.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have read that LvG has specific roles for each player. Only a few are allowed to take risks or be creative. Is this stifling the way that we play ? Are the players afraid to take risks ?

I will always believe that Keene was such an important player because he was a natural leader. I can remember countless games where he would change the way that we played, during the game, dependent on the score etc. I don't think that we have ever had this ability since he left. Whatever Rooney's ability he isn't the right captain.

The one plus from today is that if LvG had any overconfidence or complacency it's now gone.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have read that LvG has specific roles for each player. Only a few are allowed to take risks or be creative. Is this stifling the way that we play ? Are the players afraid to take risks ?

I will always believe that Keene was such an important player because he was a natural leader. I can remember countless games where he would change the way that we played, during the game, dependent on the score etc. I don't think that we have ever had this ability since he left. Whatever Rooney's ability he isn't the right captain.

The one plus from today is that if LvG had any overconfidence or complacency it's now gone.

The captain most certainly does not dictate attacking tempo or tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Should LVG be sacked if we don't get fourth place ????

what are Giggs and LVG at if they analyse the last 3 games and can't see the problem, what did Van Gaal say to the team before the game today, "don't worry lads, it didn't work the last two times but possession will win us this game don't worry" it's insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Palace would be fools not to do the exact same as the 3 teams before them next weekend, it's an almost fool proof method of getting a result against United at this stage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94786940&postcount=1098

Quite a swing from thinking we could challenge for the league a few weeks back.... :(

Captain hindsight.

If we won the last 3 games, you wouldnt be saying that.

Robson99 wrote: »

**** no.

Literally. Thats so stupid and knee jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Robson99 wrote: »

Absolutely not and nor will he be. Regardless of whether or not we get 4th (I'm still pretty confident we will), he's progressed the team after the shambles of last year and is still in the middle of building a potentially title winning side. It would be brain dead to sack him, there's been too many signs of positivity to sack him.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Hg98Cbw.gif

Been holding onto that long?? I love these posts, the underlying bitternes just boiling up over the course of the 2 months is so beautiful.

Lvg is still not dim and clueless. Irregardless of what you believe, he has hammered Liverpool this season. Unless you are implying, that perhaps a dim and clueless manager can beat the peoples champions 2k15.
    The man is the foundation of modern football, but youre probably right, he has no idea of how to manage a big team. A mid table team is a step down so its a challenge alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's quite evident that both RVP and Rooney in the same team is a no no

• Captain hindsight.

If we won the last 3 games, you wouldnt be saying that.

I agree but the thing is these problems have existed all season. It frustrates me that LVG has not addressed it tactically but he's limited in his selection.
    IMO the CM position has always been the weak point. And we had a facination with blaming 3 at the back including myself.

I'm not going to mention him again. I'll post his initials. MC
    I could put Ren on the end of that

But to acknowledge the point that we look afraid to take risk / take shots / run at defenders.
    This posession stat has become an obsession and its definatly driven by the manager. The stats circulating today are mental in relation to passing.

Just ****ing shoot is what I had in my head the whole 90 minutes today, we had much more oportunity to score than I first thought. 26 shots is balls when we could of had 56. Players pissing around taking too many touchs just let it rip...

Booze rant over

*5th edit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

idk what to think lads, im quite sickened. Its pissing me off that the team has let it go to this. We really need to get Rooney back as CF. Im not his biggest fan but he's our best striker. The likes of RVP and Falcao arent in form and some may say should be gone in the summer.

Maria looks like he doesnt want to be at the club or the confidence is so low. I dont know which one it is

That Palace match is a must win now I feel.

Been holding onto that long?? I love these posts, the underlying bitternes just boiling up over the course of the 2 months is so beautiful.

Lvg is still not dim and clueless. Irregardless of what you believe, he has hammered Liverpool this season. Unless you are implying, that perhaps a dim and clueless manager can beat the peoples champions 2k15.
    The man is the foundation of modern football, but youre probably right, he has no idea of how to manage a big team. A mid table team is a step down so its a challenge alright.

Not at all, just thought it a good time to remind folk of your post, to be fair some of the more adept posters in here are slowly realising that there is quite a decent chance I was right.

Rooney up front and a decent spell, Rooney in midfield and Utd struggle.

It's fairly basic, to be fair.

Hammered Liverpool, 4 points ahead after 35 games and the Utd fanbase are sh1tting themselves in case ye lose that lead with 3 games left :)

Hammered indeed :)

Ah your right mick in a way, I dont think Carrick would have made a difference today, we spent the whole match outside their box, Herrera was a good choice there.
    .... but ill be honest, I have always had LVG billed a tactical manager, but I think we are missing an aguero/ronaldo up top or a pogba/vidal/xavi/iniesta type player in midfield.
    Our attacks come through ashley young, we can do better than ashley young, who today has started the 10th match in a row, something he has never done in his utd career. He does the job LVG wants him to do, same as Valencia, but we need better players rather than players that can do the task they are assigned, we need players that can do what they are assigned in the game plan, and then do some more, pull off some cray cray pass or dummy or something different.

the booze rant isnt over, heading to doyles now, gonna burn the ear off some young wan in the smoking area as I smoke minty fags about my tactics.I have some screenshots printed off from football manager that I think will suit the team.

Not at all, just thought it a good time to remind folk of your post, to be fair some of the more adept posters in here are slowly realising that there is quite a decent chance I was right.

Rooney up front and a decent spell, Rooney in midfield and Utd struggle.

It's fairly basic, to be fair.

Hammered Liverpool, 4 points ahead after 35 games and the Utd fanbase are sh1tting themselves in case ye lose that lead with 3 games left :)

Hammered indeed :)

.... gee, you really have football simplified.

Meh, dont know why im replying. Youre just up to devilment. Put the lemonade back in the fridge and go to be.

.... gee, you really have football simplified.

Meh, dont know why im replying. Youre just up to devilment. Put the lemonade back in the fridge and go to be.

.... Me up to divilment, tad ironic old boy given your augeo 2015 quip :)
    Btw, hi M!ck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This will really blow your mind.Rooney & RVP's passes-is the 18 yard area the Bermuda Triangle? They seemed to go around it at every opportunity.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-02-at-20.55.47.png

I've said it again and again, its fucking hardwired into those lads to get the ball and spread it wide, but they are spreading to two useless wingers and its absolutely toxic for our play.

.... Me up to divilment, tad ironic old boy given your augeo 2015 quip :)
    Btw, hi M!ck :)

The irony is in my username. I can't spot people who have had a bag of skittles a mile off.
    You just brought it all down to pettiness. No discussion of tactics or anything. That's cool brah.

Hey mick. How are things?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement