Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    IF, long term, DiMaria doesn't work out, no one should be arguing it wasn't worth a try or the money at time of signing. He was, at time of signing, the "engine of Real Madrid", a World Cup finalist, a Fifa Team of the Year player and someone Real Madrid fans couldn't believe they were letting go.

It's easy to look back now and go "Wow, that was a lot of cash", but imo, for the player we were buying, in the market he was bought it, it was a very good deal for United.

I dont think £60m for Di Maria could be regarded as a very good deal .

Real Madrid maximised their revenue on him selling him when he was literally playing out of his skin .
    He is the most profitable player in Real's transfer history ,a club notorious for offloading players at big markdowns,netting the club a profit of over £40m .
    Not to mention just over 18 months ago that Real were trying to offload Di Maria and Coentrao as makeweights in a deal for Bale .

He was always a streaky player,brilliant one week ,infuriating the next ,but in the second half of last season when he came into a central midfield role he developed far more consistency.

He has alot of the necessary attributes of a top class player,fast,good dribbler,good crosser ,stamina ,can beat a man but his decision making is often not the best and he is streaky much like Nani was .

There was also no obvious role for him in the Utd team when his transfer was announced .
    It looked like Woodward wanted to send a message that he could flex his muscles and show that Utd wouldnt be outbid in the market anymore after losing out on so many previous targets and that Utd could compete against the big boys and attract big name marquee players such as Di Maria was viewed at the time ,partly by his good form but also by excellent pr work by Real.

One must also consider the only other club who could financially afford Di Maria was PSG and they were hamstrung by Fifa Financial fair play so Utd's bid of £60m was overly excessive considering Perez wanted to sell Di Maria to fund the Rodriguez deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Chelsea
    Man City
    Liverpool
    United
    Arsenal
    Spurs

Happily come back here and repost when I'm proven right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

anybody like to have a go at predicting the final top 7 in order?

Chelsea
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

dfx- wrote: »
    Chelsea
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Southampton

You mustn't watch much of United, unless that's West Ham in 3rd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it's much of a muchness between sides. Arsenal will find a way to finish fourth, Liverpool's form has got them to here, but big questions about continuing it and Spurs have a habit of getting late wins to pip them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Chelsea
    Manchester City
    Arsenal
    Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Totenham
    Southampton

Still believe we can do the business. The next two games are going to shape if we make it or not, I can't NOT believe both the players and manager will pull something out of the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Chelsea
    Manchester City
    Arsenal
    Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Totenham
    Southampton

Still believe we can do the business. The next two games are going to shape if we make it or not, I can't NOT believe both the players and manager will pull something out of the bag.

but if the manager sets them up badly v spurs and Liverpool result is only going to go one way. I presume shaw is out of the spurs game and di maria def is, so is evans, so I would hope Rafael comes in right back, either drop Valencia or push him forward to right midfield, start mata and carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don’t know how Angel Di Maria can recover from his ridiculous sending off against Arsenal on Monday night. Can things really get any worse for him at Manchester United?

Would be interested in seeing how a bad article would start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keane2097 wrote: »
    Would be interested in seeing how a bad article would start.

Have a flick through his headlines for the last 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If you take out Valencia's mistake Arsenal were still looking like scoring, Herrera off gave them control, fair enough if it was an injury but knowing LVG it was a tactical change and it backfired just like a lot of others have this season

Van Gaal has 10 games to do something that warrants giving him another war chest and time, play with some more risk, play players in their proper fcuking positions, and have a real go at top 4. At least if we do that I'd be okay with giving him time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

bangkok wrote: »

in all fairness that is a horrendous article , Di Maria would be a better fit at Chelsea !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Felt the team played very well for the most part. Bar Valencia and Einstein Jones getting in each others way to muck up that backpass, everything was pointing towards United dominating the game.

The substitutions really didn't work, but that also could be because Di Maria got sent off so the team was always going to be unbalanced. For me, the game was crying out for Mata. You saw Fellaini pick out a few through balls (the one on to Di Maria was a beaut) but Mata would do that sort of thing in his sleep. I thought Young did ok, nothing great. He's not consistent enough to warrant starting every game. As a bench player, definitely.

I think the team certainly needs some work. Granted the media are going to throw the book at United because heaven forbid you spend money on players you can afford ten times over.

Will De Gea stay? I hope so. Mata too, although it's not looking good for him sadly. If Mata does leave, I see Rooney dropping back to #10 and Falcao/RVP playing up top again. Shaw has been ropey to say the very least. He's so young that chances are he'll come good given time, so a stop-gap LB should be brought in.

I make it that four first team players are still needed for the team before anything of merit is won.
    De Gea
    RB - CB - Rojo - LB
    Blind - Herrera
    Di Maria - Mata - LW
    Rooney

A worldclass Centre midfielder is definitely needed, Blind is not good enough and carrick is pushing on

in all fairness that is a horrendous article , Di Maria would be a better fit at Chelsea !!!!

well we signed one of the top 5 players in the world at the time, id say di maria wouldn't be rated in the top 20 players in the world right now, probably wouldn't even be in the top 20 players in the premier league right now either....

the van gaal effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

well we signed one of the top 5 players in the world at the time, id say di maria wouldn't be rated in the top 20 players in the world right now, probably wouldn't even be in the top 20 players in the premier league right now either....

the van gaal effect

I get you don't think much of LVG right now ,and there is certainly a case to be argued and discussed about how well or bad he is doing but that article is a really poor case against.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Apparently Berahino and his agent were in directors box yesterday. Wouldn't mind signing him at all, looks talented, physical presence and rapid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Di Maria has proved himself as a quality player up to this point in his career. He wouldn't be the first quality player ever to join a new team, an unsettled team at that, in a new league and fail to settle in himself straight off the bat. As an aside I thought up to the point he was sent off he was having one of his best performances of the season last night.

I'd happily back him to bounce back next season when we continue rebuilding, add some more quality where we lack it and get rid of whats left of the deadwood and add a bit more where we need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Apparently Berahino and his agent were in directors box yesterday. Wouldn't mind signing him at all, looks talented, physical presence and rapid too.

Just like zaha was lol. Personally myself I think he is a bit like sterling with Liverpool he jumping ahead of himself I think he should of kept his head down this year and concentrated on football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

rojo is a disaster waiting to happen, was very lucky not to receive a straight red card for the tackle on Cazorla

i like him...The only signing (apart from herrera maybe) that has been classed as a good one.

the rest, are adding very little to the team. Blind is been a good squad player who is first 11, but in my opinion part of the lack of creativity problem and lack of tempo. lovely footballer, but just a more likeable upgrade on Cleverly.

Di Maria and Falcao have been disappointing to put it mildly, Shaw poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

i like him...The only signing (apart from herrera maybe) that has been classed as a good one.

the rest, are adding very little to the team. Blind is been a good squad player who is first 11, but in my opinion part of the lack of creativity problem and lack of tempo. lovely footballer, but just a more likeable upgrade on Cleverly.

Yh I think he looks better as a cb then lb imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

the van gaal effect

He mustnt have been in charge so, earlier in the season when Di Maria was showing decent form before he got injured.

A nothing article written in tabloid style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

exactly, he is meant to be right back, he shouldn't be drifting over, he is the right back, he ended up running 10 yards past smalling in the centre of the goal, completely left his position. yea di maria should have been closer, but it was crazy schoolboy defending from valencia

You need to watch it again. You have no clue what happened judging from your post.

Ah here, Ill help since I have already said it on thread, Di Maria did not track back, Smalling was pulled out of position and left a gaping hole in the middle which Valencia had to go and cover, funnily enough if he didnt and the player walzed straight through and scored he would be (rightly) lambasted for that too.

He had to stick with his man, he had no choice once Smalling had been pulled out.

Di Maria not tracking back left Monreal completely unmarked.

The disgraceful "tackling" on the edge of the box can be criticised too alright, and Tony was part of that too.

He didnt drift anywhere, he did what he was supposed to do.

I honestly don't think falcao has had a fair crack of the whip. Yea he got a few starts but the manager never came out and gave him any confidence in public, added to the fact that when both he and van persie were playing together and falcao was clearly playing the better of the 2, he takes falcao off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I honestly don't think falcao has had a fair crack of the whip. Yea he got a few starts but the manager never came out and gave him any confidence in public, added to the fact that when both he and van persie were playing together and falcao was clearly playing the better of the 2, he takes falcao off.

A 28 year old who is supposedly the best at his job shouldn't need his manager to say in public he is good.

Christ

A 28 year old who is supposedly the best at his job shouldn't need his manager to say in public he is good.

Christ

yea sorry, player don't need confidence boosters. Everything is rosy in the garden, what was I thinking

• Advertisement

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_ewt5nsauvmgckkgsg0k40sk48_640.jpg

who ever posted this last week.... bravo. its classic had me in the knots

Falcao has been hugely underwhelming and doesnt deserve to be in the team, even ahead of Van Persie. He has offered very little to the team. I like him, he comes across as a likable and humble enough guy and he "puts a shift in" whenever he plays but I have no sympathy for him for not being picked.

Its a nothing argument to suggest not bringing him on last night was a huge mistake by Van Gaal. It wasnt an issue that the chances were there and couldnt be finished so I dont know what else you think Falcao would have done.

anybody like to have a go at predicting the final top 7 in order?

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    United
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Southampton

The tough run in will suit us I feel, if Arsenal have a bit of a stutter we could sneak third but I dont see them dropping less points then us really.

It will be tight between Pool Spurs and Saints then I feel, maybe Southampton dropping slightly away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Alex Ferguson is obviously up there with the greatest ever regardless of what happened to United upon his retirement, but the last 2 years have only improved his legacy, which is saying something.

It's incredible to watch; truly astonishing.

LVG, the great LVG, who has been around Europe winning trophy after trophy, doesn't seem to know what to do to arrest the meh-ness that has greeted Ferguson's exit.

As I say, astonishing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ah come on now , Daley Blind is far far better footballer than Tom Cleverly that's hyperbole..

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Falcao has been hugely underwhelming and doesnt deserve to be in the team, even ahead of Van Persie. He has offered very little to the team. I like him, he comes across as a likable and humble enough guy and he "puts a shift in" whenever he plays but I have no sympathy for him for not being picked.

Its a nothing argument to suggest not bringing him on last night was a huge mistake by Van Gaal. It wasnt an issue that the chances were there and couldnt be finished so I dont know what else you think Falcao would have done.

where did I say he should have been brought on last night? im talking in general. his last 5 games playing time in the league

0 min
    67min
    0 min
    73min
    90min

add to the fact we are slow with the ball, not creating many chances and our goalkeeper v Swansea had more touches in play that our 2 strikers combined says it all really

Frustrating more then astonishing really.

Lot of football to be played though still and plenty of time to erase the memory of the first 2/3rds of the season and finish with a flourish.

Progress has been made of course, but not enough to satisfy most of the fans and you do allow for the incredible injuries we had early when the team should have been bedding in and settling together but, it is what it is.

As long as he hits the target of 4th spot or better it will have been a successful season, then he will have to show more progress next season as 4th will not be the target.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson is obviously up there with the greatest ever regardless of what happened to United upon his retirement, but the last 2 years have only improved his legacy, which is saying something.

It's incredible to watch; truly astonishing.

LVG, the great LVG, who has been around Europe winning trophy after trophy, doesn't seem to know what to do to arrest the meh-ness that has greeted Ferguson's exit.

As I say, astonishing really.

While I agree to a point Utd didnt help themselves and handled things really badly upon Fergies retirement. Letting Gill go at the same time was a huge mistake, two big bombs going off and really distrupting any continuity that the club had hoped to continue. Appointing the wrong man and letting it play out in public for months longer than it should have, they should have had the balls to remove Moyes before Christmas when it was clear to everyone and their dog that it wasnt working, and I still think that squad would have made the top 4.

No doubt though that Van Gaal has been hugely disappointing so far. He was left with a **** storm though and it would have been a lot more interesting to see how he handled Fergusons squad had he been given the chance.

I think Utd have bought poorly, or at least hugely overpaid for the players they did buy and I think they also sent players out on loan/sold players that they should never have.

I predicted a 5th place finish for Utd at the start of the season as I though they were at least one top quality CB short of top 4. As its transpired they have been worse to watch than I expected(remember the pre season football, pre season I know, but still)but have picked up more points and are currently higher than I expected.

The first half of the season cant be ignored either with the injuries and all that.

No doubt it has been a struggle again this season and we all expected more from Van Gaal(from some of his bizarre formations/team selections to the uninspired football etc) and he has to carry some of the blame for what has transpired but there other huge factors that have added to the unstability(if I can call it that) at Utd that is also being overlooked or ignored.

kryogen wrote: »
    Frustrating more then astonishing really.

Lot of football to be played though still and plenty of time to erase the memory of the first 2/3rds of the season and finish with a flourish.

Progress has been made of course, but not enough to satisfy most of the fans and you do allow for the incredible injuries we had early when the team should have been bedding in and settling together but, it is what it is.

As long as he hits the target of 4th spot or better it will have been a successful season, then he will have to show more progress next season as 4th will not be the target.

seriously? where?

out of the cup 1st round and fa cup 1/4.

Best left back in England last season looks like a lost little boy now

Valencia has probably gotten worse this year.(if that's possible)

Jones/Smalling have regressed

Di maria is confidence shot

Mata not even getting a game and looks like he will be sold.

Falcao wont be staying around

van persie probably sold as well

Januzaj hasnt progressed

Rooney for how many games didn't even have a shot, yes he was in midfield but not even a shot on goal in what 8 hours or something??

Where are the positives, please enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Ah come on now , Daley Blind is far far better footballer than Tom Cleverly that's hyperbole..

Can we ban this word?

where did I say he should have been brought on last night? im talking in general. his last 5 games playing time in the league
    Very good? Are you serious? He was rubbish, how many fouls did he commit before he finally got booked, played up front for most of the 2nd half and did nothing. Falcao must be feeling sick looking at him up front, even mata must be thinking WTF

If not saying directly certainly implying. You need to make up your mind.

Bangkok old buddy, why would I bother?

adox wrote: »
    If not saying directly certainly implying. You need to make up your mind.

im on about in general, fellaini has been our no10/striker for how many games now while mata has been left on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Ah go on do it, you and adox been saying what Im thinking to myself, and I'm quite enjoying it.

its a discussion forum on man utd, id be interested to hear where the team have progressed? you said we have progressed this season, I disagree and gave my reasons. you gave none?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Can we ban this word?

Can we just ban hyperbole instead? :pac:

• Has the meltdown stopped yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has the meltdown stopped yet?

It's eased a touch, but we might just be in the eye of the storm.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has the meltdown stopped yet?

Is it safe to pop in for the lols yet? Im scared.

It's eased a touch, but we might just be in the eye of the storm.

*cracks open a can*

Sure might as well enjoy the peace until tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

im on about in general, fellaini has been our no10/striker for how many games now while mata has been left on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think it's clear now anyway that with every loss or points dropped in the coming weeks some fans will start to panic and start asking for players and VG to leave the club..

Beaker.gif

Nothing will change personnel wise until summer, so best thing we can do is just try remain positive and support the lads as much as possible until the end of the season. Hopefully we end it in the top 4. No doubt the players are struggling to find reliability and confidence but with good support hopefully that comes back to them.

On the plus side we still have our wizard between the posts, and are still inside the top 4, all is not lost.

David-de-Gea1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rafael and Valdes in the u21s tonight..

And Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Jesus between boards and the articles on sky sports whats with the meltdown. I didnt see as much hype when any of the english teams lost in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

A lad that was in my class is playing for spurs u21 tonight, doubt he thought he'd ever be lining up against Valdes, or Falcao, mental!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement