Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lol at limping into a fourth place finish being described as a brilliant season now.
    Yep, I think it would be a great achievement from the mess we were in.. I'd bite your hand off for it now in fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigh

I ****ing hate Moyes debate. Its unbearable to read posters defending Moyes. It sickens me to the core of my soul lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to say this has been the least enjoyable season I have ever of supporting a team.

I just want us get Top 4 and get season over done with. Then hopefully we get the signings we want in etc.

The run from Sunderland Home to Chelsea away was very good otherwise its been all over the place.

Every time somebody puts in great performance a poor one was around the corner at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Liverpool 11 points after playing a game midweek.
    Spurs 17 points

Much difference in the points per game on the season.
    Was the opposition they played good or bad.
    Did they have many away games.
    What was thier injury situation like at the times.

This uefa cup myth is a load of nonsense. And certainly not the reason we are in 4th.

You never hear champions league teams saying it about wednesday saturday games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep, I think it would be a great achievement from the mess we were in.. I'd bite your hand off for it now in fact!

You are ridiculous. Didn't you defend Moyes to the very death and beyond?

People tend to massively overstate Moyes' failings and understate LVG's

LVG has seriously underperfomed, I'd go as far as saying finishing 5th which we are not far off would be just as bad as Moyes' run weighing up the each season and the variables that go with them.
    Knock on would obviously go pre Moyes too - Was that team overachieving when they won the league? .. would they have done it without Alex? Ferguson was the best manager of all time but he too must take some responsibility in the lack of signings in key areas near the end.

Have to say this has been the least enjoyable season I have ever of supporting a team.

Were you in a coma for the season Moyes was in charge, that you think this one has been the least enjoyable?

You do if you pay attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"The mess we were in", what tosh. Poor old LVG, handed a team full of top class players, £150million to spend on more and the honeymoon period afforded by following David Moyes, what a mess indeed! You would think we had the QPR squad or something.

The whole club in turmoil thing is a load of cock, LVG had the tools there to easily finish top four, if he doesn't do it it is because he cocked it up.

• Advertisement

You are ridiculous. Didn't you defend Moyes to the very death and beyond?
    Well yeah i would have gave him a bit longer but the club was in disarray - to stop the rot they were right to pull the plug.

I had/have a soft spot for the man, United was too big of a job for him but he will be back again in the PL because he is a good manager at a certain level.

Look I do be as mad as everyone else when shít like last Saturday happens but I honestly do believe LVG has the talent, track record and vision to bring us back to the top.

Much difference in the points per game on the season.
    Was the opposition they played good or bad.
    Did they have many away games.
    What was thier injury situation like at the times.

This uefa cup things is a load of nonsense. And certainly not the reason we are in 4th.

Especially for you

Liverpool's results

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/liverpool/results

Spurs

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/results

After a European game Liverpool results were
    West ham Away lost 3-1
    West Brom home won 2-1
    Hull home 0-0
    Chelsea home lost 2-1
    Stoke home 2-1
    Man united Away lost 3-0
    Southampton Away won 2-0
    Man City home won 2-1

Spurs

QPR won 4-0
    Liverpool home lost 3-0
    West Brom home lost 1-0
    Southampton home won1-0
    Newcastle home lost 2-1
    Stoke home lost 2-1
    Everton home won 2-1
    Swansea away won 2-1
    West Ham home 1-1
    Chelsea away lost 2-1

You do if you pay attention.

People have this Uefa cup thing down as fact, not many have the same opinion about the wednesday saturday dynamic.

"The mess we were in", what tosh. Poor old LVG, handed a team full of top class players, £150million to spend on more and the honeymoon period afforded by following David Moyes, what a mess indeed! You would think we had the QPR squad or something.

The whole club in turmoil thing is a load of cock, LVG had the tools there to easily finish top four, if he doesn't do it it is because he cocked it up.
    Yes but we were underspending in the transfer window for years ... This shít of "no value in the market" was thrown out year after year... For fúck sake Paul Scholes had to come out of retirement to bail us out even - and there was City & Chelsea splashing the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've only won once and drawn twice from a losing position this season afaik, must be one of the worst in the league

Van Gaal either takes a very long time to adapt ala Rooney in midfield, 352, our poor performances against the defensive teams, or in some cases isn't able to adapt at all looking at that comeback record.

I hope this is just a combination of him getting used to the league and the half done rebuilding job and not a sign of the future.

Well yeah i would have gave him a bit longer but the club was in disarray - to stop the rot they were right to pull the plug.

I had/have a soft spot for the man, United was too big of a job for him but he will be back again in the PL because he is a good manager at a certain level.

Look I do be as mad as everyone else when shít like last Saturday happens but I honestly do believe LVG has the talent, track record and vision to bring us back to the top.

You had a soft spot for Moyes and you thought he was doing an acceptable job and should have been kept in the job. You have a soft spot for Van Gaal and you think he is doing a brilliant job. You make me laugh.

• Advertisement

People have this Uefa cup thing down as fact, not many have the same opinion about the wednesday saturday dynamic.

I don't care what opinion many people do or do not have about the Wednesday Saturday dynamic. Many people are wrong about lots of things.

We've only won once and drawn twice from a losing position this season afaik, must be one of the worst in the league

Van Gaal either takes a very long time to adapt ala Rooney in midfield, 352, our poor performances against the defensive teams, or in some cases isn't able to adapt at all looking at that comeback record.

I hope this is just a combination of him getting used to the league and the half done rebuilding job and not a sign of the future.

I presume coming back means going 1-0 down. Its been bit more then 2 I say

West Brom away
    Villa away
    Stoke away
    Chelsea home
    West ham away just off top my head.

I don't care what opinion many people do or do not have about the Wednesday Saturday dynamic. Many people are wrong about lots of things.

What are you on about? Ive never seen evidence of teams dropping more points after thursday or wednesday games. Everything Ive said on this subject is about peoples opinions.

But it suits your arguement to say many people are wrong now but not in your last post. Cool

What are you on about? Ive never seen evidence of teams dropping more points after thursday or wednesday games. Everything Ive said on this subject is about peoples opinions.

But it suits your arguement to use it now but not in your last post. Cool

You were talking about whether or not CL teams talk about the difficult turn around from midweek to weekend games in the post I first replied to. And then you changed to talking about what "many people" say about those games. Of course I couldn't give a fùck what the mob think about the subject.

I've seen the evidence of points dropped by United after midweek CL games presented in this thread. And I've heard/read Ferguson and Wenger talking about the difficulty of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I presume coming back means going 1-0 down. Its been bit more then 2 I say

West Brom away
    Villa away
    Stoke away
    Chelsea home
    West ham away just off top my head.

Will be the last time I believe a stat found on the Twitter machine

And while I've been checking that I've noticed Falcao's goals have won us 5 points this season (8 if you count the 2nd goal against Leicester) could be the difference in getting top 4. Worth every penny I suppose

• Advertisement

You were talking about whether or not CL teams talk about the difficult turn around from midweek to weekend games in the post I first replied to. And then you changed to talking about what "many people" say about those games. Of course I couldn't give a fùck what the mob think about the subject.

I've seen the evidence of points dropped by United after midweek CL games presented in this thread. And I've heard/read Ferguson and Wenger talking about the difficulty of the situation.

Ya i see the point you replied to said champions league teams when it should have been people saying it about champions league teams.

Which is what I was talking about with the other poster.

Yes teams drop points after it teams drop points all the time but I've never seen proof that playing 3 days later after a european game has the detrimental effect that people make out it does.

Managers say lots of things, so I wouldnt be using that as any sort of evidence.

Ya i see the point you replied to said champions league teams when it should have been people saying it about champions league teams.

Which is what I was talking about with the other poster.

Yes teams drop points after it teams drop points all the time but I've never seen proof that playing 3 days later after a european game has the detrimental effect that people make out it does.

Managers say lots of things, so I wouldnt be using that as any sort of evidence.

I'm not going go back years but even Spurs dropped some stupid stupid points from their point of view this season after European game.

I mean Newcastle at home!! ;)

Might look into United for maybe a decent period when get chance during week and see how they fared after European games midweek. See if it pops up anything interesting.

I'm not going go back years but even Spurs dropped some stupid stupid points from their point of view this season after European game.

I mean Newcastle at home!! ;)

Might look into United for maybe a decent period when get chance during week and see how they fared after European games midweek. See if it pops up anything interesting.

Cool ty for the sets of results too, there is just so many variables involved this whole blanket opinion that the Uefa cup teams suffer so badly is just too simple.

Ive seen it said plenty especially about the Uefa cup but have never seen any hard facts.

Cool ty for the sets of results too, there is just so many variables involved this whole blanket opinion that the Uefa cup teams suffer so badly is just too simple.

Ive seen it said plenty especially about the Uefa cup but have never seen any hard facts.

Will start putting it together in the coming days.

Think I will start from 06/07 season and work up. I will piece together the results after European game and compare average points difference between those results and whole season.

Will try have it done in few days, work permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I don't think that is true at all. Ironically, one those "top class players" was quickly moved to QPR where he couldn't get his game.

Genuinely top class players playing at or close to their peak? De Gea.... and that's its really. Yeah, there was Mata, Carrick, Rooney and RVP but there was question marks over all four when LVG arrived. RVP has continued to decline over this season, Carrick has been unavailable most of the season and badly missed, Rooney and Mata have had relatively good seasons but that's it.

The United squad was full of very average players, or players whose form had significantly declined with age or loss of form, or who had never been demonstrated consistent performances in a United shirt to decline from in the first place. I mean, there was guys like Anderson hanging around stealing a living. Fletcher who was kept around for sentimental reasons. Zaha who was a flop. Bebe! Tom Cleverley who was a first team player last season due to a lack of any other credible option in the squad. Ryan Giggs was still able to get his game at 40! Credit to him, but an indictment of the squads quality. Kagawa was signed as part of a plan that was quickly abandoned when RVP became available and completely lost form and confidence. There was no credible replacement for Evra or Carrick so LVG had to sign a first choice LB *and* a backup in one transfer window. No experienced, natural replacements for Ferdinand or Vidic bar Evans, Smalling and Jones...all of whom have question marks over them. No proper right back past Rafael.

The first XI wasn't good enough, the squad players weren't good enough, and there was little sign of any conveyor belt of youth players stepping up. The ruthless kicking out of poor-to-average players and replacing them with first team quality seemed to have stopped for several years. A complete rebuild was and is necessary in short order and I think the club are only 40-50% through.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Sand wrote: »
    I don't think that is true at all. Ironically, one those "top class players" was quickly moved to QPR where he couldn't get his game.

Genuinely top class players playing at or close to their peak? De Gea.... and that's its really. Yeah, there was Mata, Carrick, Rooney and RVP but there was question marks over all four when LVG arrived. RVP has continued to decline over this season, Carrick has been unavailable most of the season and badly missed, Rooney and Mata have had relatively good seasons but that's it.

The United squad was full of very average players, or players whose form had significantly declined with age or loss of form, or who had never been demonstrated consistent performances in a United shirt to decline from in the first place. I mean, there was guys like Anderson hanging around stealing a living. Fletcher who was kept around for sentimental reasons. Zaha who was a flop. Bebe! Tom Cleverley who was a first team player last season due to a lack of any other credible option in the squad. Ryan Giggs was still able to get his game at 40! Credit to him, but an indictment of the squads quality. Kagawa was signed as part of a plan that was quickly abandoned when RVP became available and completely lost form and confidence. There was no credible replacement for Evra or Carrick so LVG had to sign a first choice LB *and* a backup in one transfer window. No experienced, natural replacements for Ferdinand or Vidic bar Evans, Smalling and Jones...all of whom have question marks over them. No proper right back past Rafael.

The first XI wasn't good enough, the squad players weren't good enough, and there was little sign of any conveyor belt of youth players stepping up. The ruthless kicking out of poor-to-average players and replacing them with first team quality seemed to have stopped for several years. A complete rebuild was and is necessary in short order and I think the club are only 40-50% through.

Totally agree. Squad that Moyes took over was no where near as good as a few here seem to think. Fergie's management and RVP's form glossed over a lot of problems that Moyes and then LVG inherited. I can't believe some people still spout the "inherited a team of champions" nonsense when we still have the same problems under LVG as we did Moyes. We also has the hindsight of seeing what some of this team of champions has done since they left the club. Most have been warming the bench or playing well below the level we need.

I do agree with bucketybuck though that LVG should be making top 4 with the squad he has. A lot of money was spent this year and LVG only has himself to blame if we miss out on top 4. Problems still exist but we should be CL qualified already given the talent in the squad and lack of CL football this year.

I don't think that is true at all.

It is true, and even if you don't think many of the players are top class the point still holds true when even just applied relative to our competition.

We are still scrapping away with the likes of Liverpool for fourth when the simple fact is that we wouldn't take a single player from their team, and there are a lot of Arsenal and City players that we probably wouldn't swap for either. That mini revival run we went on recently, was that just down to a team of plucky underdogs raising their game? Or was it possible because in fact the likes of Shaw, Mata, Felliani, Herrera, Rooney, Smalling and others aren't actually all that bad?

Like I said, the vast majority of managers would kill to have the squad and the resources LVG, so I'm getting tired of hearing this club in turmoil rubbish. Its lazy thinking as an excuse for poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Very good post that is very accurate. To be honest I'm not sure if this constantly get's glossed over by those who wanted to really beat down Moyes. For his obvious failings, he had a very troubled squad to work with and I think you'd have to be surreal to think things would be back to form this season.

But good strides have been made, some refinement this summer and there will be a very strong squad going into the new season, with a full pre-season and hopefully a good title challenge. I don't think that is unrealistic.

I think the full pre-season for LVG to work with the squad, and a comfortable tour cannot be underestimated, could be vital. Couple that with getting transfer business done early ( the essentials, late marque signing is fine) could provide a brilliant platform for the team next season.

On a somewhat unrelated note by the way. A pet hate of mine for a long time has been the reliance and emphasis put on the opinions and information of "season ticket holders". In various circles be it friends, this forum, other forums, its used like its some form of credential to put weight behind a comment or statement, as if someone who sits in the stand for half the season has a direct line to the board room.

The absolute ultimate example of this came over the weekend, where an extended relative made a comment along the lines of
    Well you know that Rodgers is more popular among United fans then Van Gaal?

After I cleaned up the food I spewed across the room, I made a very high pitch" WHAT?" and what followed was the old "well mates of mine are season ticket holders and they are always saying that Rodgers is really popular around the club and they'd swop him for Van Gaal in a heart beat."

While I've no beef with the guy relaying the comments, as he is a good bloke and very knowledgeable, what sort of morons are sitting in the stands at Old Trafford.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm surprised that anyone can't see that Alex Ferguson's swan song was to bungle one last title win over the line with a squad that shouldn't have been anywhere near good enough to do it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man, but it's clear as day to me that he dropped an ailing squad in Moyes' lap and the poor chap wasn't up to the task of picking up the pieces.

We're talking about one of the biggest clubs in the world here, left with a squad where you could count on one hand the number of players you'd expect to be worthy of a starting place.

I understand that three losses on the trot is frustrating, but the Chelsea result was largely expected and nothing to be too upset about. The West Brom game was just a bad, bad day at the office. The only one that would have alarm bells ringing for me would be the Everton match, which was frankly a disgrace.

Despite that, the difference between the way the team plays now and the way they were playing this time last year - or even six months ago - is night and day. There has been a clear progression under LVG, and while there are still some problems - creating decent chances being a major one right now - I don't think it's anything to be getting hysterical about.

A few additions, a few tweaks and a good pre-season with the shopping done early and I'll be very excited about next year.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that anyone can't see that Alex Ferguson's swan song was to bungle one last title win over the line with a squad that shouldn't have been anywhere near good enough to do it.

The truth is in the middle of all this. Fergie did make a lot of mistakes in his final years and the squad he left had some serious deficiencies, but that squad was still good enough to easily be a top four finisher. And two years on from Fergie man for man we are still a far better squad than we have been showing.

Its not the three losses in a row that are frustrating, its the fact that we have been rubbish for far more of this season than we have been good, our mini revival was the exception not the rule.

I don't want LVG sacked, but he really does need to pull his finger out, he has had a poor season in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    On a somewhat unrelated note by the way. A pet hate of mine for a long time has been the reliance and emphasis put on the opinions and information of "season ticket holders". In various circles be it friends, this forum, other forums, its used like its some form of credential to put weight behind a comment or statement, as if someone who sits in the stand for half the season has a direct line to the board room.

The absolute ultimate example of this came over the weekend, where an extended relative made a comment along the lines of

After I cleaned up the food I spewed across the room, I made a very high pitch" WHAT?" and what followed was the old "well mates of mine are season ticket holders and they are always saying that Rodgers is really popular around the club and they'd swop him for Van Gaal in a heart beat."

While I've no beef with the guy relaying the comments, as he is a good bloke and very knowledgeable, what sort of morons are sitting in the stands at Old Trafford.....

So your listening to a friend who is telling you what other friends said and these friends as season ticket holder who would be sitting around a handful of people.

So a handful of people out of 75,000 that attend games from the hearsay of hearsay are saying the fans would swap Rodgers for Van Gaal.

On the basis of this you call fans morons maybe you should sit down and think about the situation again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

we are still a far better squad than we have been showing.

How long are people going to trot this out? League tables generally don't lie tbh, and certainly not over 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How long are people going to trot this out? League tables generally don't lie tbh, and certainly not over 2 seasons.

You will not come close to winning a league with the likes of Valencia, McNair and Blackett featuring regularly in your defence.

I think it needs to be remembered also there is something of a learning curve for Van Gaal here relating to English football and the premier league.

This is very much, from what I can tell, the first time he has encountered a situation where teams will constantly sit deep and let his team have the ball without much issue until it comes to the final third. Granted this is a bit based on reading and second hand information, his Barca and Bayern teams did not encounter this sort of blockade, with teams more willing to play and attack, and his Az team were so succesfull because teams came onto them and expected them to buckle or come unstuck.

Pro.F posted a link to a reddit post a while back about Van Gaal's systems and plans, and I saw another reddit post last week indicating that Van Gaal is no fool when it comes to shaping attacks in the final third. I don't know if its the same poster, but the guy spoke with what appeared the same authority in regards to knowing his ****.

Considering the first half of the season was a write off, it's entirely plausible that the team are behind where Van Gaal wants and expected. There is clear patterns emerging since the Spurs game, and we have very much being dominating games in regards possesion, and nulling the amount of chances we concede(remember Van Gaal earlier in the season outlined that he discusses balance so much, so that his team maintain possesion and control, but nullify the opposition when possesion turns over).

If he is happy things are moving along, and that the squad is "getting" the channels and positional play, the possession and that sort of thing, I'd imagine the final third play is the final piece.

I suppose you could go either way with he is a really intelligent couch who figures stuff out, or he is a bluffer. I am of the former opinion. And now that is he seeing teams feel they can achieve results by sitting deep with two banks of four, I'm confident he will find a way to break that down.

Which will be crucial next season. He clearly is comfortable planning and playing against teams who will come out and attack, the big games, where he has been massively impressive this year. But it's the lower half of the table where the problems arise, and as I believe, the league is won or lost avoiding silly dropped points against the bottom 8.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    So your listening to a friend who is telling you what other friends said and these friends as season ticket holder who would be sitting around a handful of people.

So a handful of people out of 75,000 that attend games from the hearsay of hearsay are saying the fans would swap Rodgers for Van Gaal.

On the basis of this you call fans morons maybe you should sit down and think about the situation again.

That's kinda the point I was making. How three fellas make an outragous statement, and just because they are "season ticket" holders, it somehow adds credentials to a wildly inaccurate and ridiculous claim :)

You will not come close to winning a league with the likes of Valencia, McNair and Blackett featuring regularly in your defence.

There are various opinions from different people on how you win a league relating to your squad.

Some would say that you can get away with a shakey defence if you have a lethal striker/strikers. Or if your front six are dominant and rampant you can get away with a leaky defence.

Others would say a strong defence is a platform to win a league from, goalkeeper and two quality centre halves will save you points you'd otherwise drop.

While the ideal scenario is obviously having strength the whole way through, I'd be of the former, believing if you want to win the league, your defence needs to be top notch.

In one way I'm really happy with how Smalling has turned his season around, on the other, I'm worried about the full backs, most immediately on the left( in that camp of Valencia being solid and reliable, but improvement could be made with new signing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As I said over the weekend, there is nobody there to attack through the middle from deep and penetrate other than Fellaini. He played deeper in the first half and further forward in the second so was never really in the position to do so. There's nobody who can get the ball to feet, control and turn quickly and fashion a chance which is where a firing Falcao would be useful but he for some reason is either told not to or doesn't stay in the position that Fellaini did in the 2nd half where he can be good, instead playing with his back to goal 40 yards out.

You had a soft spot for Moyes and you thought he was doing an acceptable job and should have been kept in the job. You have a soft spot for Van Gaal and you think he is doing a brilliant job. You make me laugh.
    I never said Moyes was doing an "acceptable job" at all so don't put words in my mouth - I did though call out the desire of some of the players last year ... Even take ex-United players like Keane, Scholes etc. who ate the players alive over their attitude and desire... The easy option was to roll over and blame Moyes.

If we get top 4 I thinks it's a brilliant season given what happened last year, next year I fully expect us to compete for the title - it's all about building blocks from here on in... 4th place is a massive step in the re-building of the first team and squad.

I think we are still about 5 first team players away from a title winning team... That's an awful lot! - but I expect 2/3 of them coming in over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Certainly good enough to be part of the next title winning squad though ... Good honest hardworking lads maybe not world class have been integral to our PL success.

The Striker thing is going to be fascinating. A lot of big names will be on the move this summer( I believe anyway). Falcao has been terrible, Van Persie has been pretty appaling and back into his injury streak of old.

Rooney is clearly the only functioning striker, but he always has those barren spells every season, along with his flurries. A big decision is going to be have to be taken. Rooney in midfield is clearly something Van Gaal sees, and a lot of English commentary and press seem to see it to. I don't. I think he is a striker, a forward, and that is that.

With only one striker position in the team, how is a big name and Rooney going to work out jossling for that position? If a big name comes in, is that Rooney cast into midfield, and makeshift positions?

Is a striker required at all? Is Rooney and Van Persie enough?( I don't think so on this seasons showing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

TheDoc wrote: »
    In one way I'm really happy with how Smalling has turned his season around, on the other, I'm worried about the full backs, most immediately on the left( in that camp of Valencia being solid and reliable, but improvement could be made with new signing)

I would be the exact opposite; little concern for left back but think a right back should be high on the list of priorities this Summer. Shaw had a shaky season but the talent is clear to see, and I'd like to think Blind & Rojo can provide support if he gets injured or needs a rest.

Whereas on the right it looks like Rafael is gone leaving us with only Valencia. I agree that he's fairly solid but if we're going to play Mata on the right we need a full back to link well with him and put in good intelligent crosses, not the low drill that ultimately goes for a corner 9 times out of 10. For all the talk of us failing to get through West Brom at the weekend I actually think we had a fair bit of joy at times down the right but Valencia's crossing was yet again woeful and let us down multiple times. Di Maria's crossing for those 5 minutes might have been more memorable/noticeable but Valencia's disappointed me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good news chaps (don;t feel the need to click the link, I did it so you don't have to)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/574980/Man-Utd-Chelsea-Liverpool-Radamel-Falcao-Deal
    MANCHESTER UNITED have reportedly told Monaco they are willing to sign Radamel Falcao on a permanent deal at the end of the season.
    By Anthony Chapman

The Colombia international linked up with the Red Devils on a loan deal last summer but is yet to make an impact under Louis van Gaal.

Falcao has scored just four times in 23 appearances for the Old Trafford outfit, leading to speculation that Paris Saint-Germain's Edinson Cavani could come in as his replacement.

However, the Manchester Evening News claims that United have held talks with Monaco, telling the French club that they could meet the £43.2million clause which would officially make Falcao a Red Devil.

Chelsea and Liverpool have been linked with the former Atletico Madrid star recently, and Falcao is sure to have a number of options available if his potential move to United fails to materialise.

I'd like to see Falcao stay but £43m would be fairly ridiculous...

The lack of any draining tournament will mean players can have a proper rest this time around I guess. The likes of Rojo and Blind have definitely faded as the season has gone on and picked up more injuries and Shaw has played a lot of football the last few years for a player so young. Di Maria went all the way in the CL and all the way in the WC last season and his fitness may have been effected this year too.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Falcao stay but £43m would be fairly ridiculous...

Monaco aren't going to take him back and risk having to pay his wages for another year, paying 43m would be hilariously stupid, worst transfer ever territory. I'd still take him for circa 20m though and give him a nice long Summer off.

There is no way that deal could possibly go through at the originally agreed price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lets just hope he doesn't have Torres-itis and he needs time, IF we sign him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Players that look like they need a lay off, Di Maria and Falcao, will be off to the Copa America. Hopefully Di Maria can play himself into form. Falcao needs the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

20 million and £150000 a week and I'd be happy yo sign him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement