Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-b2We0-gKQ

6 years ago today, one of the best counter attacking goals ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

bangkok wrote: »

Just saw it on Facebook before you posted it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

We didn't need him, whether he was a success or not doesn't even matter, and plenty of people were prepared to point this out before he ever set foot in the club.

In fairness, we signed RVP rather then addressing real issues with the squad, and chucked out a plan Ferguson had been building since before the Barca hammering in Wembley, and his goals won us the league.

I can fully appreciate why and how a club/manager could overlook some glaring issues, to take a punt on a striker that can drag you through the mire. Plenty of examples all over the place where rather then spending wisely or building properly, and club or manager go mad for a striker or marquee attacker hoping it covers up the cracks.

The problems in the squad were glaring in Fergusons last season, and were glaring at the time, but Van Persie covered it all up, we won a title, and set ourselves up to the shot in the foot when Ferguson left.

If Falcao was sitting here now on 20 goals, with goals coming against the sides we failed to break down and dropped silly points too, it's totally plausible we'd be comfy as **** top 3, or even have closed the gap a little on Chelsea.

It was a risk, it was a punt, and it hasn't worked out. The potential payoff was somewhat worth it imo. There hasn't been tremendous damage to the team that he hasn't worked out. The damage has been caused by Van Persie being appaling again, and injuries meaning Rooney was taken into midfield.

Van Gaal is also one of those coaches that doesn't do the thing of giving players extended minutes to hope they play their way out of bad form. If your dire, you are dropped. It can be tough to come back into a matchday squad after a few games out, and try do the business.

Falcao getting injured was a huge blow. Like most strikers in bad form or on a drought, they need trust, a few games, break the duck and the floodgates open. Falcao hasn't really been offered that chance, and as such when he does play he looks like a Sunday league footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My favourite part of that? Just watch Ronaldo for the whole clip, he absolutely busts his balls to sprint the length of the field and get on the end of the move. And when he stands up after scoring, he isn't even out of breath! Such a superb athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Falcao has been poison on the pitch imo. If the club are even contemplating paying more money for him at this stage I'd have to ask serious questions about who is making those decisions, because it's surely not LVG.

That said, I can't fault the punt being taken on him last summer.

• Advertisement

Can people explain why Falcao was a mistake I mean he certainly hasnt worked out but that to me doesnt mean it was a mistake. We took a chance on getting a world class striker into the club for relatively cheap.
    That to me is the right play and if you keep doing the right thing it will work out more times than not.
    You cant say if something didnt work out it was a mistake, that is being results orientated. Sometimes you can do all the right things and it doesnt work thats life. There is no perfect formula for it.

We had a fairly busy transfer in and out process last summer in about 2/3rds of the window. We signed 5 players and sold more. Bringing in over 5 more players on top of that would have been a mistake as it would have been disruptive to the squad. Yes we were left short on depth but we didnt have any Europe to contend with.

Falcao was the only player brought in, who could arguably be said wasnt needed everyone else was.

I'm much happier the club to have a plan and implement it over 2 or 3 years instead of trying to buy a whole new squad in under 2 months. People really need to have more patience.

Personally I feel the big mistakes have been players NOT signed rather then those that have. I've no real issues with any of the players we signed, bar Shaw(I worry about big money and wages to young English players) but already there is indication a new left back might come in short term while Shaw sorts his **** out.

Strootman for £12 from PSV, seriously like the **** was Ferguson doing. Was so blindsided to the midfield problems that continue to blight the club. Herrera thank **** has been a massive improvement now that he has himself sorted, and I'm happy with Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

My favourite part of that? Just watch Ronaldo for the whole clip, he absolutely busts his balls to sprint the length of the field and get on the end of the move. And when he stands up after scoring, he isn't even out of breath! Such a superb athlete.

Have we ever seen him running in the opposite direction though?!! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Can people explain why Falcao was a mistake I mean he certainly hasnt worked out but that to me doesnt mean it was a mistake. We took a chance on getting a world class striker into the club for relatively cheap.
    That to me is the right play and if you keep doing the right thing it will work out more times than not.
    You cant say if something didnt work out it was a mistake, that is being results orientated. Sometimes you can do all the right things and it doesnt work thats life. There is no perfect formula for it.

We had a fairly busy transfer in and out process last summer in about 2/3rds of the window. We signed 5 players and sold more. Bringing in over 5 more players on top of that would have been a mistake as it would have been disruptive to the squad. Yes we were left short on depth but we didnt have any Europe to contend with.

Falcao was the only player brought in, who could arguably be said wasnt needed everyone else was.

I'm much happier the club to have a plan and implement it over 2 or 3 years instead of trying to buy a whole new squad in under 2 months. People really need to have more patience.

It has already been explained how Falcao was a mistake and that claim has nothing to do with how he has since performed.

Nobody is suggesting that we should have bought five more players. We should have bought and sold different players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd much rather we spent £43 million on a striker who can actually sprint.

Club seriously needs to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to Falcao and Monaco.

Falcao has been poison on the pitch imo. If the club are even contemplating paying more money for him at this stage I'd have to ask serious questions about who is making those decisions, because it's surely not LVG.

That said, I can't fault the punt being taken on him last summer.

Potential nonsense alert
    A few of the journalists that the reddit crowd track, and I think I heard it mentioned on Sunday Suppliment as well, has been money is really no object in regards getting Van Gaal who he wants. The club seem very confident he will deliver a title and a champions league, and will back him to do so.

The Bale stuff seems to manifest itself from the United side, in that Van Gaal's targets are all done and dusted, and the club will work hard and early to get them signed. And money will be aside for Bale, or a potential late marquee signing, and the manager won't be in the situation of choosing one big or multiple essentials.

Personally don't buy the Bale stuff at all, just like I don't see De Gea leaving. But I've heard/read that in a few places.

After the last two summers I'm keeping out of the loop on the transfer stuff, until I see solid reliable stuff. It's going to be crazy season this summer.

Already retractions of "Ow well Gundagon is most likely going to Bayern, and that means Dortmund won't sell Hummels" and "Liverpool have held extensive talks with Depay representatives".

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'd much rather we spent £43 million on a striker who can actually sprint.

Club seriously needs to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to Falcao and Monaco.

To be honest it has to be horse****.

£40m would get you Benzema, Dybala, Cavani, Vietto*(and change to spare). Said it a few times but feel there might be a lot of good strikers available this summer, and 40m would get you the pick of the bunch. Falcao is not one of them.

You'd probably land Benteke for half that.

Unless there is a serious shakeup planned in terms of how Van Gaal sees his striker and what will happen with Rooney, and unless Falcao is some sort of machine on the training ground, no way he is staying.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing him sign at 40m to see the vein in Pro.F's neck burst :D

*40m would land you one, not implying would get you all before people think im crazy

TheDoc wrote: »
    Personally I feel the big mistakes have been players NOT signed rather then those that have. I've no real issues with any of the players we signed, bar Shaw(I worry about big money and wages to young English players) but already there is indication a new left back might come in short term while Shaw sorts his **** out.

Strootman for £12 from PSV, seriously like the **** was Ferguson doing. Was so blindsided to the midfield problems that continue to blight the club. Herrera thank **** has been a massive improvement now that he has himself sorted, and I'm happy with Blind.

the way strootman is going im glad we didn't sign him, 2 serious knee injuries already and signs he will never be the player he once was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think that if you played Falcao as #9 week in, week out, for 90mins, he would come good. I'm not a professional footballer but it must be hard to find form when you're only getting a few minutes every handful of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Falcao has been complete garbage. Bless him, but it's like playing with 10 men.

Maybe time to bring Hernandez back, and let Wilson go on loan somewhere

the way strootman is going im glad we didn't sign him, 2 serious knee injuries already and signs he will never be the player he once was

OK so like not to get all Back to the Future and time paradox's, but if he signed for United, or any other club, he would have gone through a series of different events and scenarios, therefore not leading to the first injury he received. And obviously would have avoided the surgery that went horrendously wrong this year, with the Roma doctor indicating it would be a miracle if he plays football again.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think that if you played Falcao as #9 week in, week out, for 90mins, he would come good. I'm not a professional footballer but it must be hard to find form when you're only getting a few minutes every handful of weeks.

I've massive empathy for him there. And it's not just at the highest level, I'm sure anyone here who plays ball, or played ball, or even does five aside, knows it can be tough to be sharp and on the ball if your not playing. It's also horrendously demeaning and difficult.

My last season and a half in football was being a benchwarmer, being thrown on for the last 15-20 minutes up front, and it was the most demeaning and depressing stage I ever had in football. You take a few minutes to get into the game, and then you are trying to hard to prove stuff or show you should be starting, and you either have a wonderful impact, or are a total waste of a substitution.

Doesn't seem to be Van Gaals style. Most managers would play him week in week out until he got confidence and started getting goals. Van Gaal has done it with under 21's and lower league teams and its totally backfired. Instead of bagging goals (which was the intent) he has continued to struggle against outrageously inferior opposition, smashing his confidence further.

OK so like not to get all Back to the Future and time paradox's, but if he signed for United, or any other club, he would have gone through a series of different events and scenarios, therefore not leading to the first injury he received. And obviously would have avoided the surgery that went horrendously wrong this year, with the Roma doctor indicating it would be a miracle if he plays football again.

if he signed for United, given our record with player injuries, I would have been surprised if we ever got to see strootman in a utd shirt if he had of signed :p

if he signed for United, given our record with player injuries, I would have been surprised if we ever got to see strootman in a utd shirt if he had of signed :p

Frustrated that he is another name in a long list of incredible talent we completely ****ing dropped the ball when it came to signing. One of the lads only reminded me about Ramsey the other day, that seemingly we were neck and neck with Arsenal for him? And it took a chat from Wenger to seal the deal, while Gill had someone take him on a tour of the training ground or something?

I know you get some and you lose some, but we have missed some amount of quality over the years.

Frustrated that he is another name in a long list of incredible talent we completely ****ing dropped the ball when it came to signing. One of the lads only reminded me about Ramsey the other day, that seemingly we were neck and neck with Arsenal for him? And it took a chat from Wenger to seal the deal, while Gill had someone take him on a tour of the training ground or something?

I know you get some and you lose some, but we have missed some amount of quality over the years.

so has every club in fairness, Arsenal missed out on Yaya Toure, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, di Maria etc

I've massive empathy for him there. And it's not just at the highest level, I'm sure anyone here who plays ball, or played ball, or even does five aside, knows it can be tough to be sharp and on the ball if your not playing. It's also horrendously demeaning and difficult.

My last season and a half in football was being a benchwarmer, being thrown on for the last 15-20 minutes up front, and it was the most demeaning and depressing stage I ever had in football. You take a few minutes to get into the game, and then you are trying to hard to prove stuff or show you should be starting, and you either have a wonderful impact, or are a total waste of a substitution.

Doesn't seem to be Van Gaals style. Most managers would play him week in week out until he got confidence and started getting goals. Van Gaal has done it with under 21's and lower league teams and its totally backfired. Instead of bagging goals (which was the intent) he has continued to struggle against outrageously inferior opposition, smashing his confidence further.

thought you were a goalkeeper?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

phil jones back training

CEP_DB2UgAEOlmy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I just don't think the club and falcao have been a good fit. Sometimes it doesn't work out at one club for a player and that's just football eg Forlan

I think that falcao needs a Club/manager that will put their arm around him and tell him he's the main number 9 for the season and back him through some poor performances until he gets up and running after maybe 9/10 games. I honestly believe wherever he goes next he will be a success and be back banging them in.

That's not to say United will be wrong to get rid though. Manager doesn't fancy him, fans are getting impatient and he has too much competition to be getting 90 minutes consistently. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Edit: his performances have been terrible also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Pro. F wrote: »
    It has already been explained how Falcao was a mistake and that claim has nothing to do with how he has since performed.

Well as I said its results oriented thinking, the signing is not a mistake the shoehorning into the team is the mistake. There is no proof the signing of flacao stopped a signing of a player in another position.
    Nobody is suggesting that we should have bought five more players. We should have bought and sold different players.

Nobody is getting hysterical. It's a simple criticism - last summer's transfers and building of the team were poor.

I've been saying that we're only a few players away from getting the team sorted, but when you factor in the lack of depth we have in some positions I realise that's not the case now. Assuming nobody important is sold, Nani returns, Januzaj goes on loan and we stick with the three CM 433 I think we'll need: three CMs, CB, RB and third choice CF. At least one of the central midfielders would need to be first choice quality, two if you want the team to be properly good. The RB would have to be starting quality but the CB could maybe just be a back-up.

That is a lot of work to be left yet to do on a squad considering where we started from and the money spent last summer.

You are suggesting it right here with what you say above, are you saying we didnt need any of the players bar Falcao last summer? On top of them you want 6 signed at least this summer.

Thats 11 players you wanted us to sign last summer as you are saying or transfer business wasnt good.

I think it would be impossible to sign 11 players and get the quality you want in 2 months while selling many players also.

You cant just fix everything in such a short period of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

phil jones back training

CEP_DB2UgAEOlmy.jpg

His assist last night. #hoofball:p

https://twitter.com/UnitedVines_/status/595503385727598593

Di Maria has been our most creative player this season:eek:

AGDr26b.png

thought you were a goalkeeper?!

After not making the grade on trials realised I wouldn't make the grade so quit playing in goal and went outfield to enjoy football. Manager at the time fumed and I got booted down to the lowest team at my age bracket. Ironically my most enjoyable season of football ever :)

Season later was taken back to the first team. Was playing CM at the time but manager said he was going to play me as a centre half, and unfortunately for me to the two CB's that were there just stopped being **** and turned into a formidable partnership.

So for next season and a half I was third choice striker until I just packed it in under 18's. Was way too much to try learn how to play up front at 17 in DDSL premier, could never get to grips with constantly being back to goal. Some more irony, few years after I stopped playing it just all clicked in five aside, and now I'm a pretty good front man playing with the lads haha

Trilla has seen me play once in a work outing, I have surprising pace over short distances :D

zerks wrote: »

AGDr26b.png

He got a fair few assists early on and key passes. I don't know how to work those sites, but interesting if you could compare Di Maria first half of season to Herrera second half.

I'd say be somewhat similar, although Di Maria probably still a bit ahead( but he did get like 3-4 assists from misguided shots, that probably bump those scores)

When I see Rooney in midfield, or playing up front but having a bad game I sigh knowing that no matter what happens (barring injury) he'll walk into the next game as a starter. Sometimes Rooney needs to be benched for a couple of games. But he never will be under LvG because he is his captain and his captain shall always play..

When I see Rooney in midfield, or playing up front but having a bad game I sigh knowing that no matter what happens (barring injury) he'll walk into the next game as a starter. Sometimes Rooney needs to be benched for a couple of games. But he never will be under LvG because he is his captain and his captain shall always play..

After his 'performances' in the last couple of games,a place on the bench would crown him.He looked seriously disinterested and seemed to think a few hollywood passes counted as a good shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

AGDr26b.png

What... do those unitless numbers represent? :confused:

AGDr26b.png

Stats shmats. He's been crap.

In fairness to Rooney, some slack should be provided. While the English press and many United supporters have beef with Rooney, that beef is that he didn't turn out as good as Ronaldo or Messi, when there was a point where it seemed inevitable.

But that is not entirely his fault. He has spent most of his career moving around to accomodate bigger ego's, when in reality he should have always been the main man. As Ibrahimovic said in an interview when asked about English players, he said they lack ego. His example was Scholes playing out wide for England. Now he is not gospel, but it holds some truth.

There is very few strikers of that calibre that will happily play out wide, or in midfield, and forgo the fruits of scoring goals. **** Wellbeck is a fraction of the player Rooney is and he huffed off because of being played out wide.

I have distain for Rooney over his contract randsomes, that I won't forget. And for some time it totally distorted my view on him. But I happily accept he is our best striker, and should be our main man. He infamously has purple patches inbetween barren spells, but those barren spells typically co-coincide with him being shunted around positionally. And when he does go back up front, takes some games to get used to it again.

He works relentlessly, he hates to lose, and he is a fantastic player.

I wouldn't begrudge him a bit of complacency in terms of his selection, considering the sacrifices he made over the years, and aired very little public grievances about it.

His flexability and eagerness to do anything aslong as it meant he played, definitely has held him back. I don't say that in the past tense, because his game hasn't been about pace for some time, or argueably ever, and there is still plenty of time for him to establish himself as our no.1 striker, scoring 20+ a season .

Well as I said its results oriented thinking, the signing is not a mistake the shoehorning into the team is the mistake. There is no proof the signing of flacao stopped a signing of a player in another position.

It is not results oriented thinking if the problems were being pointed out last summer, ie before the results happened.

And how were Rooney, RVP, Falcao and Mata supposed to all fit into the team if they weren't going to be shoehorned in?

There is no proof that signing Flacao stopped us signing a player in another position. But there are only so many players you can afford to bring in any one summer because of money and disruption to the squad.
    You are suggesting it right here with what you say above, are you saying we didnt need any of the players bar Falcao last summer? On top of them you want 6 signed at least this summer.

Thats 11 players you wanted us to sign last summer as you are saying or transfer business wasnt good.

I think it would be impossible to sign 11 players and get the quality you want in 2 months while selling many players also.

You cant just fix everything in such a short period of time

I've already said that you can't fix the squad completely in one window. I have not suggested that we should have signed 11 players last summer. If LVG had made better choices in who he brought in and let go and what formation he used, then the team would have been a lot closer to being fixed than it currently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Nathaniel Clyne: "I am happy playing for Southampton and happy to stay at Southampton as well."

What other rb could be available. Valencia is doing my head in

• Advertisement

Michael Oliver is the ref against Palace.

Oh joy...

It is not results oriented thinking if the problems were being pointed out last summer, ie before the results happened.

And how were Rooney, RVP, Falcao and Mata supposed to all fit into the team if they weren't going to be shoehorned in?

There is no proof that signing Flacao stopped us signing a player in another position. But there are only so many players you can afford to bring in any one summer because of money and disruption to the squad.

Falcao was signed on deadline day so I'd say its certain his signing didnt take the place of another player.

All them players dont have to fit into the one team, if there was a mistake made it was trying to shoehorn them into a team and not on the transfer policy.

We had a bench and it should have been used properly whoever was playing the best got game time and the others on the bench.

I'm at the risk of repeating myself now but Falcao was really a shot to nothing, his 6m and wages for the chance at a truly world class striker.

In an alternate universe he fit form and scored loads of goals and we'd be talking is it RVP or Rooney out the door.

We live in this one however and it looks like Falcao is on his way.

Rambling a bit now.

To summarise

Low cost + didnt take place of another player in the squad + chance at world class striker = good transfer business to me

Managements fault for trying to shoehorn

Nathaniel Clyne: "I am happy playing for Southampton and happy to stay at Southampton as well."

Just because he says he is happy doesnt mean he is staying, pretty much a generic answer so not to piss anyone off

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

J. Marston wrote: »
    Michael Oliver is the ref against Palace.

Oh joy...

Oh bollix, of all the refs to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Clyne is fairly overrated. There is certainly a shortage of right backs at the minute. I'd be going for Carvajal from Real Madrid. They have just bought Danilo and Carvajal is definitely an upgrade over Clyne. Also I don't fancy paying over the odds for Clyne who isn't impressive.

Does anyone know of any other club who has the same relationship with an agent like we do with Jorge Mendes? If the rumours are true that Falcao is staying to keep De Gea for a season then that is just bonkers. I'd rather let De Gea go than pay a fortune for Falcao. The Bebe deal was completely bizarre and it looked like a nice little payment for Mendes. I'm not sure how we have benefitted from this relationship? What emerging Portuguese or Portuguese based talent have we benefited from in the past few years?

Di Maria, Nani, Victor Valdes, De Gea and Falcao are all the players that I know are his clients. Is there anyone else?

• Advertisement

I've already said that you can't fix the squad completely in one window. I have not suggested that we should have signed 11 players last summer. If LVG had made better choices in who he brought in and let go and what formation he used, then the team would have been a lot closer to being fixed than it currently is.

I'd like to see what alternative you have including what you said earlier about the players we still need wouldnt have invovled bringing in a lot of players last summer. We needed everyone we signed bar Falcao, and you still want 6 or 7 including a forward.

Falcao was signed on deadline day so I'd say its certain his signing didnt take the place of another player.

All them players dont have to fit into the one team, if there was a mistake made it was trying to shoehorn them into a team and not on the transfer policy.

We had a bench and it should have been used properly whoever was playing the best got game time and the others on the bench.

I'm at the risk of repeating myself now but Falcao was really a shot to nothing, his 6m and wages for the chance at a truly world class striker.

In an alternate universe he fit form and scored loads of goals and we'd be talking is it RVP or Rooney out the door.

We live in this one however and it looks like Falcao is on his way.

Rambling a bit now.

To summarise

Low cost + didnt take place of another player in the squad + chance at world class striker = good transfer business to me

Managements fault for trying to shoehorn

We already had two world class strikers in Rooney and RVP. Even in your best case scenario of Falcao hitting the ground running you'd still end up selling one of the other two as you say. So all that money spent on Falcao just leaves you in the same situation as before with regards to world class strikers at the club.

It is quite possible that the manager and the money men knew Falcao was likely to come to the club before it happened and so it affected other the thinking on other transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

The memories... (Make sure to mute it as soon as possible) :(

I'd actually forgotten just how bad Rooney's hair looked for a while, too.:eek:

I'd like to see what alternative you have including what you said earlier about the players we still need wouldnt have invovled bringing in a lot of players last summer. We needed everyone we signed bar Falcao, and you still want 6 or 7 including a forward.

I'm not going to get into arguing all the transfers in and out with you. I've argued it all before plenty of times and I don't trust you to treat the discussion sensibly.

It is quite possible that the manager and the money men knew Falcao was likely to come to the club before it happened and so it affected other the thinking on other transfers.

Many things in life are possible, it doesnt make them probable though.

Maybe LVG spending the summer working with RVP knew he might be in trouble this season, maybe he thought with the signing of Flacao we would still only have 2 world class strikers. That is possible.

I guess its all conjecture from both of us, so we will have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

glued wrote: »
    Clyne is fairly overrated. There is certainly a shortage of right backs at the minute. I'd be going for Carvajal from Real Madrid. They have just bought Danilo and Carvajal is definitely an upgrade over Clyne. Also I don't fancy paying over the odds for Clyne who isn't impressive.

Does anyone know of any other club who has the same relationship with an agent like we do with Jorge Mendes? If the rumours are true that Falcao is staying to keep De Gea for a season then that is just bonkers. I'd rather let De Gea go than pay a fortune for Falcao. The Bebe deal was completely bizarre and it looked like a nice little payment for Mendes. I'm not sure how we have benefitted from this relationship? What emerging Portuguese or Portuguese based talent have we benefited from in the past few years?

Di Maria, Nani, Victor Valdes, De Gea and Falcao are all the players that I know are his clients. Is there anyone else?

I asked this the other day but no one loves me and didnt answer.

But what does an agent do? There is no way in hell a player is letting an agent decide where they go.
    I can make my assumptions that the agent/agency is just a go between when dealing with contracts/job offers because of the complexity of the legal wording.
    I dont think the contracts are as simple as mine.
    You gowl, will work in this office at this job for x amount. Dont be telling other people of any insider dealing and data.

I think its pure tinfoil hattery to believe 1 person, Mendes, has such power over a club and players to decide where they play and how much they get paid and any future deals. Is he just the owner of an agency?

Any recruitment agencies here in Ireland get paid a bonus for finding staff, so thats a pretty usual thing for agencies, Hardly anything sinister there?

Its mental to think that he has so many clients on his own personal book but then can play these elaborate game of thrones games with people.

Its real tabloid bollix devoid of any critical thinking.

Many things in life are possible, it doesnt make them probable though.

Maybe LVG spending the summer working with RVP knew he might be in trouble this season, maybe he thought with the signing of Flacao we would still only have 2 world class strikers. That is possible.

I guess its all conjecture from both of us, so we will have to agree to disagree.

Lol yeah sure, maybe your ridiculous suggestion is as likely as my reasonable one.

I'm not going to get into arguing all the transfers in and out with you. I've argued it all before plenty of times and I don't trust you to treat the discussion sensibly.

LOL. Not sure if thats laziness or you not being able to admit you were wrong but it certainly comes across slightly insulting. You are well able to go back and quote and multi quote when you think your right.

The above is one example why people call out your posting style, TBH we will leave any further discussions here as you seemingly are the one who cant be trusted to maintain a proper civil debate. Your assertion to my ability to remain sensible during discussion is false though.

LOL. Not sure if thats laziness or you not being able to admit you were wrong but it certainly comes across slightly insulting. You are well able to go back and quote and multi quote when you think your right.

The above is one example why people call out your posting style, TBH we will leave any further discussions here as you seemingly are the one who cant be trusted to maintain a proper civil debate. Your assertion to my ability to remain sensible during discussion is false though.

It's neither laziness nor a fear of being proven wrong. From my very limited experience of dealing with you I think an in-depth discussion of last summer's transfers with you would be a complete waste of my time and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

It's neither laziness nor a fear of being proven wrong. From my very limited experience of dealing with you I think an in-depth discussion of last summer's transfers with you would be a complete waste of my time and effort.

I dont post in here often but I read the thread most days and my god even by your standards thats arrogant and totally uncalled for.

Anyway while I'm here I'm gonna make a positive contribution to the thread and say I cant wait till next season when we go undefeated in the league, win the treble and Fellaini wins World Player of the Year. Oh and we beat Chelsea 5-4 at Stamford Bridge in the most attacking game of football ever seen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement