Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm telling you it's the hair and the tattoos, he looks utterly unlikeable and looks like someone you see fighting young girls on cruises street in limerick or shouting at doors on abbey street.
    No one will admit it because it's such a ridiculous reason.

He is class though. So well rounded.

I think he looks more like a drug lord than a scobe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What a player Vidal is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

What a player Vidal is

Vidal Pogba and Pirlo cost 8m combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

One thing I'd be worried about with Vidal is that his knee might blow out again. Rushed back for the WC and talk of playing through pain earlier in the season iirc. So you'd worry it might go again.
    I'm telling you it's the hair and the tattoos, he looks utterly unlikeable and looks like someone you see fighting young girls on cruises street in limerick or shouting at doors on abbey street.
    No one will admit it because it's such a ridiculous reason.

He is class though. So well rounded.

I say we need more character in the team hair. Sign Vidal, Hamsik and Graelish and keep Fellaini in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think he looks more like a drug lord than a scobe

Bet you he drives a Toyota glanza as well.

I will turn into Bangkok with my irrational hatred if we sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

With Daley Blind on the books we can accommodate a few bad haircuts.

blind+van+tilburg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Headshot wrote: »
    Not really far far far to injury prone. He's a very good player now but before his injuries, mg he was epic
    He isn't injury prone. He had a knee problem last summer but it wasn't serious. He has played 38 games this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Vidal hasn't been in good form for most of the year. Only in the last few weeks has his form improved drastically. He's now very close to top form but his passing is still a little sloppy and he isn't nearly as clinical but it's a good sign that his knee hasn't gone again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MD1990 wrote: »
    He isn't injury prone. He had a knee problem last summer but it wasn't serious. He has played 38 games this season.

Wasn't serious? That's a bit of under statement. If he didn't go to the WC he would of been grand but he made the problem worse. He hasn't been the same player. Also factor in how many subs on and off to in those 38 games. They are really looking after him. He wouldn't get that at the PL for example.

Glued is bang on with his assessment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    With Daley Blind on the books we can accommodate a few bad haircuts.

blind+van+tilburg.jpg

Stay still my beating heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Schwiiing wrote: »

Take a bow whoever came up with those transfers at Juve!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Schwiiing wrote: »

I vomited a little reading that.
    Ashley Young, Valencia and Anderson combined cost about 65million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/esclusiva-tmw-united-marsiglia-e-napoli-piombano-su-mitrovic-676351

United are signing Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic according to the above link.
    20 goals for Anderlecht and meant to be a "done deal for Newcastle" but apparently we've stepped in.I honestly know nothing about him but seeing as we've been linked with everybody,I'll wait until I see a player pose with a jersey at OT before I believe in these "done deal" stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Would Pirlo have had the physicality for the PL?

glued wrote: »
    Vidal hasn't been in good form for most of the year. Only in the last few weeks has his form improved drastically. He's now very close to top form but his passing is still a little sloppy and he isn't nearly as clinical but it's a good sign that his knee hasn't gone again this year.

Other than the first month or two of the season I've watched Juve plenty and his performances have been great each time.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Other than the first month or two of the season I've watched Juve plenty and his performances have been great each time.

This is what snowblind (a Juve supporter in boards) posted in the match thread about Vidal before the Juve Real game today:
    I'm withholding judgement on Vidal - he's been miles behind the form he was in the last couple of seasons, but doesn't exactly worry me. Just that he probably won't single handedly help us out of whatever situation we're in at the 90+th minute like he's used to be known for.

So while he may have had a good game, it seems opinion is divided regarding his form and whether he'll reach the heights he did before the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

All this love for Vidal.

Just remember lads- Pirlo is love, Pirlo is life.

Andrea-Pirlo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Couldnt believe it at the time that Fergie wouldnt hold onto him. Seeing him go and keeping berbatov was hard viewing.

was nothing to do with fergie or united, Man City paid this guy £48m to buy him outright. I was delighted we never signed him and his behaviour at city just goes to show what type of guy he really was

Kia_Joorabchian.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van Gaal: "I'm looking for players who fit in as my players, it has to be a quicker adaptation than players when I came to #mufc." [men]
    "This summer is very important. We need balance in our selection. I cannot deny that. But we are very busy with that."
    Early summer signings it seems

you would hope so after the debacle of the last two summers...

Adidas will also want a signature signing to launch their sponsorship deal so ideally 3 or 4 players are signed before July and then 1 big one once the Adidas deal kicks in.

• Advertisement

Bale didn't have a good night last night,32 touches of the ball and just 18 passes.Certainly didn't look like a 100 million player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »
    Bale didn't have a good night last night,32 touches of the ball and just 18 passes.Certainly didn't look like a 100 million player.

Could just be an off night.

Have to say though, i've never been a massive fan of Bale. No doubt he is a good player, but I'd not have him near Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Aguero level of awesomeness.

Honestly, I reckon Depay at a fraction of the price could be a better buy this summer. But then he mightn't progress or adapt himself so it would be a gamble regardless.

Have to say though, i've never been a massive fan of Bale. No doubt he is a good player, but I'd not have him near Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Aguero level of awesomeness.

Honestly, I reckon Depay at a fraction of the price could be a better buy this summer. But then he mightn't progress or adapt himself so it would be a gamble regardless.

bale is world class in fairness. Just back from injury and his confidence is at an all time low, cant be helped by fans attacking his car as he leaves the training ground. Juventus are no mugs either, team filled with quality

Depay would cost a fraction of what Bale would,he knows and trusts LVG.No point spending a huge amount on Bale and neglecting the fact we'll need to replace Carrick and get somebody up top with a bit of guile and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He'st just back from injury, not sure why he was getting so much ****. He was playing centrally for large portions of the game and Madrid were failing miserably in attack. When he moved to the right (his best position imo) Ramos was playing like a donkey making a mess of hollywood passes instead of giving to Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Depay would cost a fraction of what Bale would,he knows and trusts LVG.No point spending a huge amount on Bale and neglecting the fact we'll need to replace Carrick and get somebody up top with a bit of guile and pace.

Why not both? Bale on the right and Depay on the left would be a disgusting attacking three (with Rooney through the middle).

While I don't hold Bale as a top tier player at this point, I still think he is fantastic. Would be happy enough if he was the "marquee" signing this summer.

But I'd be making sure it wasn't at the expense of more critical signings.

Also re De Gea, what's this about Madrid likely to be handed a transfer embargo this summer? Cassilas is awful muck(shame was great for so long) and the more I watch him the more I believe Madrid would force the issue in relation to De Gea.

Still don't believe for a second he will leave, but there is reports of Madrid getting handed an embargo, which might well settle it entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

To be fair to Bale I think he gets too much criticism from people since he joined Real. He hasn't been bad but his poor perfromance get more attention than is good ones.

Last night he was poor but same can be said for nearly all the Madrid players, none of them looked good out there, while Juventus looked fired up and played great.

I think it's hard for Bale to get the same attention and praise he got with Spurs as when he played for them he was the go to player, Ronaldo has that at Madrid so can be strange for him I'd say.

And back to the important topic of players hair, everytime I saw Bale yesterday (as little as it was) I couldnt help but remeber Beckhams Madrid haircut haha

Beckham-Alice-band.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also re De Gea, what's this about Madrid likely to be handed a transfer embargo this summer?

Same thing that got Barca their ban; messing round with signing kids before they are allowed to. Barca got the ban but appealed and got a window to prepare, so if Real get hit, it will be the same. Could make them more dangerous though; they'd be looking to do 3 windows worth of work in 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bale is a 45-50 million pound player

The next ronaldo he is not, he is in the top bracket of wingers, that's it

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Same thing that got Barca their ban; messing round with signing kids before they are allowed to. Barca got the ban but appealed and got a window to prepare, so if Real get hit, it will be the same. Could make them more dangerous though; they'd be looking to do 3 windows worth of work in 1.

same with At. Madrid. Apparently the entire league could be in trouble...

Surely he's worth 60-75 million at what price players are going at these days, also isn't he contracted until like 2020 with Real? Can't imagine him going for much less than 60 unless they wanted to get rid of him quick.

• Advertisement

there wont be another Ronaldo around for a very long time so trying to compare Bale to him is very unfair. Bale is world class in his own right

Last thing on the whole Bale thing, I know odds are he wont be joining us, but I really think he is a word class player. He gets a lot of criticism from people about him underperforming for Madrid but in his 77 games or so with them he has 36 goals and 25 assists.

I'd love to see him in a united shirt but now that we have Di Maria I dont see it happening anytime soon and thats ok, because with Di Maria I think adding Bale would be unnecessary spending that could go into improving other positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why not both? Bale on the right and Depay on the left would be a disgusting attacking three (with Rooney through the middle).

While I don't hold Bale as a top tier player at this point, I still think he is fantastic. Would be happy enough if he was the "marquee" signing this summer.

Di Maria is already at the club and is better than Bale despite his poor run of form. We would what get around 50 for Di Maria and need to spend around 70 on Bale makes no sense to me.

I would rather a marquee signing be a cm signing along with Schneiderlen, a cb and a rb.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Di Maria is already at the club and is better than Bale despite his poor run of form. We would what get around 50 for Di Maria and need to spend around 70 on Bale makes no sense to me.

I would rather a marquee signing be a cm signing along with Schneiderlen, a cb and a rb.

Bale has been far better this season than Di Maria.

Would love to see us have something like this:

Schneiderlin
    ----Herrera
    Di Maria
    Mata
    Bale
    Rooney

Depay instead of Bale and I'd be just as excited.

Two quick, competent, attacking fullbacks and we'd have an attack less likely to be blunted by anyone wanting to park the bus.

With regards to actually buying Bale - I think it is a long shot, but my impression is that if we do buy Bale, it won't be at the expense of other targets. It seems the 'plan' could be to bring in the primary target prior to July and if Bale does become available, the funds will be made available to try get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Di Maria is awful at Utd. I don't think he ever wanted to leave Madrid, and would return in a heartbeat. He looks an utter shadow of the player we all know he can be as soon as he puts on a utd shirt. Christ he can't even beat a man. He's suffering from low morale / confidence also.

Bale would be a far better option for utd, and I feel Di Maria would be better suited to Spain.

Still think we will buy at least 1 striker this summer, as well as a midfielder and 2 defenders. If De Gea does go, Bale needs to be part of the deal.

my signing predictions (positionally).

Right back - CERTAINTY
    Centre back - CERTAINTY
    Centre mid - CERTAINTY
    Winger - Very likely
    Striker - Likely.
    Keeper - Hopefully not.

This is what snowblind (a Juve supporter in boards) posted in the match thread about Vidal before the Juve Real game today:

So while he may have had a good game, it seems opinion is divided regarding his form and whether he'll reach the heights he did before the injury.

I think people are seeing his lower goal return this season and assuming that he's not playing as well as he was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A defensive midfielder is more pressing than a creative midfielder imo. I'm convinced Do Maria is best in the 3rd CM/No. 10 position and should be played there with either Herrera or Fellaini or both when Carrick is injured behind him at the moment so someone to come in and do Carricks job in the triumvirate there is needed. A De Jong type signing would solve a problem or 2 there and then a young 2 way player to compete with Herrera and Fellaini. I'm more convinced that a striker in the Tevez or Aguero mould is the most important signing United can make given the current state of the team. More important than right back or centre back even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would be happy to see something like this next season.

Schneiderlen
    Carrick/Fellaini
    Herrera

Nani/Mata
    Di Maria/Depay

Rooney/??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Schneiderlen Carrick/Fellaini Herrera

Nani/Mata Di Maria/Depay

Rooney/??????

Would this be a good team? #shadowcomplex #neverforget #welldonefellaini

• Advertisement

Schneiderlen Carrick/Fellaini Herrera

Nani/Mata Di Maria/Depay

Rooney/??????

Not bad but bold move leaving out defenders and a keeper ;)

It's a shame for the Carrick fans that this Van Gaal era is coming just as his career is probably winding down. He used to be an ever present, now he seems to be out injured half the time.

Nobody would mistake me for a Carrick fan, but I still feel bad for those who are. I bet ye would have loved the prospect of seeing him having a proper go at playing in a Van Gaal team.

Jamie Jackson saying Bale wants to stay at Madrid but we are looking confident of getting Depay.

It's a shame for the Carrick fans that this Van Gaal era is coming just as his career is probably winding down. He used to be an ever present, now he seems to be out injured half the time.

Nobody would mistake me for a Carrick fan, but I still feel bad for those who are. I bet ye would have loved the prospect of seeing him having a proper go at playing in a Van Gaal team.

To be honest I'm happy as it is on how he's played for us his during his career here. He's getting more attention now as we havent been great and he's shown to make us more secure, it was easy to overlook him when we were doing great but now that we are seeing more inconsistencies in some players his composure and consistency is being notices more.

He was a hugely underrated player during our dominant time with him in the squad. Always present for us, think he didnt have under 27 games for us in the premiership in any season (excluding this one).

5 premier league titles, a champions league medal, a manchester united player of the year award, and two absolute gems against Roma that I'll never forget. Seriously underrated part of our success.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    To be honest I'm happy as it is on how he's played for us his during his career here. He's getting more attention now as we havent been great and he's shown to make us more secure, it was easy to overlook him when we were doing great but now that we are seeing more inconsistencies in some players his composure and consistency is being notices more.

He was a hugely underrated player during our dominant time with him in the squad. Always present for us, think he didnt have under 27 games for us in the premiership in any season (excluding this one).

5 premier league titles, a champions league medal, a manchester united player of the year award, and two absolute gems against Roma that I'll never forget. Seriously underrated part of our success.

I'm not interested. I've heard it all before and I'm thoroughly unconvinced by the argument. But I can still empathise with his fans who aren't going to see the best of him in an exciting new system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know more Juve Fans then United fans nearly from friends etc and most of them would say that Vidal has been poor, but he has got better and better as time has come on.

Cant comment on it as only seen them in CL and literally only about 3 games in Serie A this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Vidal may join us if he straightens up and cuts off those sideburns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think no matter what way you look at it we need to sign a striker in the Summer.

Be it a big signing if Falcao goes or a Ings type for backup.

not really as carrick was excellent under an even better manager ferguson and won 5 league titles and a champions league playing some brilliant football. Carrick still has easily 2 years left at the very top level for the type of game he plays

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    not really as carrick was excellent under an even better manager ferguson and won 5 league titles and a champions league playing some brilliant football. Carrick still has easily 2 years left at the very top level for the type of game he plays

You think he's going to return to being fit enough to be an ever present over the next season or two? I'm sure it's possible, but the way he's been with injuries and the age he is, it doesn't seem likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement