Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    Can we just ban hyperbole instead? :pac:
    Better not, seems we still need it...
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has the meltdown stopped yet?
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think it's clear now anyway that with every loss or points dropped in the coming weeks some fans will start to panic
    Nolars wrote: »
    Jesus between boards and the articles on sky sports whats with the meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can't see myself melting down with the current run of fixtures, unless there is a mental formation or something within the games that is utterly baffling or obviously incorrect etc.

This run of fixtures isn't a surprise, and as much as managers and players trot out the "next game" rubbish, we all know(or you should) that managers review the full fixture list in detail and no manager actually takes it one game at a time.

We have given ourselves a mountain to climb due to ineffective and sloppy performances against the lower sides in the league, coupled with the first half injury issue. We had an absolute gift of a start to the league that we blundered dramatically. There was a nice recovery and a decent run of games, that wilted off at Christmas and hasn't really recovered. Draws against sides like Villa, losses against Leceister and Swansea, these are the results that topple your season, not the big games.

But now here we are, staring down the barrel at a horrendous run of games, where were need in the space of a few days for the team to find form and confidence to pickup wins on the bounce.

It's tough but not impossible. I had hoped that Van Gaal would know how to beat the big teams, or at least give them a run, and the players would step up. Still possible...

What we also need to factor in is the rivals around us. Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton. I think that Arsenal will finish top 4, but they themselves arn't alien to shooting themselves in the foot, and could easily fall of the wagon handily enough, but let's assume form and that they will close out the business end of the season.

Southampton who are tailing away a bit, with a striker who just can't score goals. They look a bit tired, and it might take it's toll. While they have an easy run in, there is a strong chance they will drop some points.

Spurs are first season into a new system that is heavily demanding, and in recent weeks look a bit floundery and leggy. Always suspect to the odd freak result. I think they have some points to drop.

Liverpool are riding a crest of improvement and form. Changes by Rodgers working well, Sturridge easing himself back into the side, Henderson hitting some nice form and Coutinho being a little more consistent. Difficult one to see panning out really, as whilst they arn't chasing the title they are chasing 4th, and have the immediate scars of last season to maybe act as incentive to not mess up again. I can't help however think that Rodgers will do the usual of talking either himself or the team up, and then drop some points. Famous for it at this stage, and there might be a little whoopsie for them.

So while in a sense we need to focus to pickup maximum points where possible, there will be every chance probably to the wire, once we keep within touching distance. Nine games left to go

Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal are within those nine games.

Everton,Villa, West Brom and Palace are the others.

Secure top 4 from here and it would actually be a remarkable achievement. I think at best, we can afford to drop six points in total. And that praying for slip ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rafael and Valdes in the u21s tonight..

And Falcao.

How the **** does that work? They're all older than 21 obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

spiralism wrote: »
    How the **** does that work? They're all older than 21 obviously

You're allowed play 3 over 21 players iirc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I say this as someone who remained positive for weeks and still would say I'm in the middle, but the "lol meltdown!" posts are just as annoying for me as the "the sky is falling" ones.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Anyone know why Rafael is still not getting game time? Is he not fully fit? I am not his biggest fan, he is unpredictable but he is a proper right back. A lot more reliable than Valencia. I heard that Rafael is playing with the U21s today.

Doesn't sound like he has much of a future with us if he is being dropped for a player who is not naturally a right back and VG has also been praising McNair as the future of the position saying he could be the right back for 10 years or something, despite Rafael still being only 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Bookies are still rating us as being favourites ahead of Liverpool to get top 4. I wonder why that is considering we have a worse run of fixtures and are playing terribly compared to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Quandary wrote: »
    Bookies are still rating us as being favourites ahead of Liverpool to get top 4. I wonder why that is considering we have a worse run of fixtures and are playing terribly compared to them?

Could just be because we are above them right now. Watch the swing in odds if they get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Could be a number of reasons, more people betting on us, currently ahead of them, expected Liverpool player strike (a boy can dream ;) ). Either way wouldn't look too much into what the bookies are making of our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Sublime goal by Rafael in the U21's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

1-1, Rafael with a little cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    its a discussion forum on man utd, id be interested to hear where the team have progressed? you said we have progressed this season, I disagree and gave my reasons. you gave none?

I have given reasons before, I don't always feel the need to repeat myself to you. You can disagree, it is your right. I am hardly going to be concerned by it am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Falcao playing for the U21s must be the final insult unless he is coming back from injury and needs the game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    I can't see myself melting down with the current run of fixtures, unless there is a mental formation or something within the games that is utterly baffling or obviously incorrect etc.

This run of fixtures isn't a surprise, and as much as managers and players trot out the "next game" rubbish, we all know(or you should) that managers review the full fixture list in detail and no manager actually takes it one game at a time.

We have given ourselves a mountain to climb due to ineffective and sloppy performances against the lower sides in the league, coupled with the first half injury issue. We had an absolute gift of a start to the league that we blundered dramatically. There was a nice recovery and a decent run of games, that wilted off at Christmas and hasn't really recovered. Draws against sides like Villa, losses against Leceister and Swansea, these are the results that topple your season, not the big games.

But now here we are, staring down the barrel at a horrendous run of games, where were need in the space of a few days for the team to find form and confidence to pickup wins on the bounce.

It's tough but not impossible. I had hoped that Van Gaal would know how to beat the big teams, or at least give them a run, and the players would step up. Still possible...

What we also need to factor in is the rivals around us. Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton. I think that Arsenal will finish top 4, but they themselves arn't alien to shooting themselves in the foot, and could easily fall of the wagon handily enough, but let's assume form and that they will close out the business end of the season.

Southampton who are tailing away a bit, with a striker who just can't score goals. They look a bit tired, and it might take it's toll. While they have an easy run in, there is a strong chance they will drop some points.

Spurs are first season into a new system that is heavily demanding, and in recent weeks look a bit floundery and leggy. Always suspect to the odd freak result. I think they have some points to drop.

Liverpool are riding a crest of improvement and form. Changes by Rodgers working well, Sturridge easing himself back into the side, Henderson hitting some nice form and Coutinho being a little more consistent. Difficult one to see panning out really, as whilst they arn't chasing the title they are chasing 4th, and have the immediate scars of last season to maybe act as incentive to not mess up again. I can't help however think that Rodgers will do the usual of talking either himself or the team up, and then drop some points. Famous for it at this stage, and there might be a little whoopsie for them.

So while in a sense we need to focus to pickup maximum points where possible, there will be every chance probably to the wire, once we keep within touching distance. Nine games left to go

Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal are within those nine games.

Everton,Villa, West Brom and Palace are the others.

Secure top 4 from here and it would actually be a remarkable achievement. I think at best, we can afford to drop six points in total. And that praying for slip ups.

lose to chelsea and liverpool away....thats the 6 points.

then we would need to beat spurs home, we should but lost last season

beat city at home, cant see it, aguero, silva toure will have to much for us

Arsenal home, after last night i think they will come and make it extremely hard for us...draw

everton away, always a tough game draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Falcao playing for the U21s must be the final insult unless he is coming back from injury and needs the game time.

How? Thats very reactionary.

He hasnt played in a while and needs match fitness, hasnt played that much and could be playing against Spurs in 5 days so get some match experience into him. Think people will make a big deal out of it though.

Same with Raf.

Plus if utd win tonight they go top of the under21 leauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If he's been told he's not wanted then it's actually a kindness to give him game time for fitness.

de gea just went up another level in real madrids transfer wish list....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Points on the board and all that. I think if points and goal difference were even Liverpool would be marginal favourites with the fixtures left, but I really think it is too close to call. Swansea away in the next game is no easy fixture (as ye know) for Liverpool, so things could be very different again by Monday night. Liverpool being 5 points down with a much worse goal difference vs 1 point ahead with a worse goal difference after the opposite results, and it's easy to see why the odds are that way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

5starpool wrote: »
    Points on the board and all that. I think if points and goal difference were even Liverpool would be marginal favourites with the fixtures left, but I really think it is too close to call. Swansea away in the next game is no easy fixture (as ye know) for Liverpool, so things could be very different again by Monday night. Liverpool being 5 points down with a much worse goal difference vs 1 point ahead with a worse goal difference after the opposite results, and it's easy to see why the odds are that way imo.

In fairness though, we all know Liverpool will win that game and United will make hard work of Spurs.

He has played for them before, and he does need game time.

Its pretty obvious at this point the option to buy wont be getting used regardless.

• Advertisement

de gea, sign that contract QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ancelotti - what a spoofer lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Hope we're looking at this Max Meyer chap. Looks superior to Adnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They appear to have actually broken Gareth Bale.

Ronaldo just pisses goals.

RONALDO is a genius....please come home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Following on from my posts earlier, the lad who was in my class Kenny McEvoy, scored for spurs tonight, he's actually on loan at colchester but somehow played tonight to add to the weirdness.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Ronaldo just pisses goals.

2 class headers, desire, courage, skill, technique he has it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

RONALDO is a genius....please come home

Sure he has been hiding all game, nothing player. Only scores goals.

• Advertisement

Following on from my posts earlier, the lad who was in my class Kenny McEvoy, scored for spurs tonight, he's actually on loan at colchester but somehow played tonight to add to the weirdness.

maybe there is some rule that allows him to play u21's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was some goal by Rafael! On his left and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is he the Bale lookalike fella?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is he the Bale lookalike fella?

Yeah he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

looking at some old highlights of seasons in the early 00 jesus we were so good :(

andy cole itv 4 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Fabian Schar has just put in a nightmare forty five for Basel. Worst game I've seen him have, so far.

I guess so, supposedly Colchester's manager is stubborn and won't give him a look in (where have we heard that before :pac:) so pretty cool Spurs had him in tonight, shows a bit of faith in him.

I guess so, supposedly Colchester's manager is stubborn and won't give him a look in (where have we heard that before :pac:) so pretty cool Spurs had him in tonight, shows a bit of faith in him.

yea great experience for him, hopefully will give him even more motivation to make it at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He meant be very good player.

I never seen him myself but friend thinks he can make worst decent Championship player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The worse Casillas plays, the more sad I become :(

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    The worse Casillas plays, the more sad I become :(

yea terrible tonight, didnt even go for the last goal and wasnt even that far away from him

yea terrible tonight, didnt even go for the last goal and wasnt even that far away from him

Playing like he assumes his time at Madrid is up?

yea great experience for him, hopefully will give him even more motivation to make it at the top level.

Yeah love to see him make it, was in their europa league match day squads a few games last season so he seems highly rated there which is great to see. Good thing he's got football, wasn't the sharpest tool in the box :pac: but lovely guy all the same, harmless fella.
    He meant be very good player.

I never seen him myself but friend thinks he can make worst decent Championship player.

Yeah I'd think so too, love to see himself make it in the PL tho. Remember we had an all day soccer tournament at the end of first year and his team was playing, just sat there in awe as he walked rings around everyone. Do remember one of his closer mates saying he found A league schoolboy football too easy, (here was me struggling in the C). His brothers a very very good footballer too funnily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'd almost say wed have beaten Madrid here tonite. Almost.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Playing like he assumes his time at Madrid is up?

been playing like that for a while now actually, was very lucky to be in the spanish squad at the world cup and then went on to have a terrible tournament

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There is. I think Liverpool have a player or two on loan that have played u-21 games as well recently even though they are still on loan.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yeah he is

He is also my friends cousin, whatsisname....are you my friend, like in the real world?

Although, my friend thinks he is a tool rather then a harmless chap so maybe not :)

kryogen wrote: »
    He is also my friends cousin, whatsisname....are you my friend, like in the real world?

Although, my friend thinks he is a tool rather then a harmless chap so maybe not :)

One of my best mates cousins is HIS best mate :eek:

I dunno Kryogen, all I know is I am intrigued about your true identity now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

This is some game

Schalke playing through Madrid while chasing a goal. Not resorting to long balls.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement