Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bangkok wrote: »
    Carrick still has easily 2 years left at the very top level for the type of game he plays

Only time will tell if he can easily play another 2 years, but do see your point there and would like to think he aint done and dusted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Only time will tell if he can easily play another 2 years, but do see your point there and would like to think he aint done and dusted yet.

Nobody is saying he's done and dusted for fùck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I certainly would not be happy to have Carrick as the only realistic first choice option for his role next season, never mind the season after. I hope we buy a player that can replace him this summer. ONe that could compliment him also so that both can play if required, but we need someone that can either take over from Carrick in the deep lying protection/tempo role or at least step in for him without the team falling to crap.

I rate Carrick, but at 34 I think we need to look to the future for his position. United have, in the past imo, been too happy to wait for a player to prove they need to be replaced before actually doing anything about it, which is too late imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    You think he's going to return to being fit enough to be an ever present over the next season or two? I'm sure it's possible, but the way he's been with injuries and the age he is, it doesn't seem likely.

maybe not ever present if we sign someone like gundogan, but yes in all the big games he will play, but a fit Michael carrick will be the first name on the team sheet after de gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

maybe not ever present if we sign someone like gundogan, but yes in all the big games he will play, but a fit Michael carrick will be the first name on the team sheet after de gea

Where I'm from we'd call that the second name on the team sheet.

• Advertisement

Where I'm from we'd call that the second name on the team sheet.

sorry, first outfield player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Blind for Carrick? I expected Blind to be starting DMC when he arrived rather than LB but Shaws injurys meant Blind played LB.

Blind for Carrick? I expected Blind to be starting DMC when he arrived rather than LB but Shaws injurys meant Blind played LB.

maybe a full pre-season and some weights over the summer will improve him, but based on current performances in CM for us, I would not trust him as first choice player in that role. His passing is nice (if a little overly cautious at times) but I feel he has been gone past too easily too much. Performance vs Everton was disappointing, though he wasn't the only one that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I don't think Blind is good enough to do the job permanently, maybe against lesser teams. Good utility player to have though, like O'Shea.

That's not how injuries work. It won't matter if it's a big game or a small one, if he's out with an injury he won't be able to play. And the more he is out injured the less likely he is to get into peak form.

I'm not saying that he won't continue to be first choice or be important in Van Gaal's eyes, I'm not interested in predicting how that will go. I'm just saying that he is on the way down and that is a pity for his fans, considering we are the start of a new and exciting system at the club.

• Advertisement

That's not how injuries work. It won't matter if it's a big game or a small one, if he's out with an injury he won't be able to play. And the more he is out injured the less likely he is to get into peak form.

I'm not saying that he won't continue to play or be important in Van Gaal's eyes, I'm not interested in predicting how that will go. I'm just saying that he is on the way down and that is a pity for his fans, considering we are the start of a new and exciting system at the club.

Gundogan or Strootman (though I wouldn't sign him, too many fears on his knee imo) would be the type of player to be looking at. Someone who can play further forward/box-to-box if Carrick is available, and who can play deep to protect the defense and set the tempo if he is out.

I would think we need to look at replacing Carrick this summer due to his age regardless, but his injury record this season only serves to punch home the requirement, imo.

I'm not saying that he won't continue to be first choice or be important in Van Gaal's eyes, I'm not interested in predicting how that will go. I'm just saying that he is on the way down and that is a pity for his fans, considering we are the start of a new and exciting system at the club.

lots of players though are on their way down. Wayne Rooney for example isn't getting any younger and has reached his peak. its hard to see van Persie ever being the same player he once was, but they are strikers and strikers need to score goals. If they are not scoring they will be sold, Carricks position allows him to perform well into his 30's providing he is playing well which he is. There is no doubt about it, another midfielder will be signed in the summer to cover for the loss of carrick, as he is a massive loss to the team when he is not playing

Should we maybe be thinking of English players aswell lads? Like can afford many more foreign players? The league has that homegrown rule when registering PL squads. How much leeway do we have in that sense?

lots of players though are on their way down. Wayne Rooney for example isn't getting any younger and has reached his peak. its hard to see van Persie ever being the same player he once was, but they are strikers and strikers need to score goals. If they are not scoring they will be sold, Carricks position allows him to perform well into his 30's providing he is playing well which he is. There is no doubt about it, another midfielder will be signed in the summer to cover for the loss of carrick, as he is a massive loss to the team when he is not playing

I don't agree that Rooney is on the way down yet, so I'm excited about the prospect of him playing to the best of his abilities under Van Gaal for a few years. As long as he's played up front that is.

Gundogan or Strootman (though I wouldn't sign him, too many fears on his knee imo) would be the type of player to be looking at. Someone who can play further forward/box-to-box if Carrick is available, and who can play deep to protect the defense and set the tempo if he is out.

I would think we need to look at replacing Carrick this summer due to his age regardless, but his injury record this season only serves to punch home the requirement, imo.

If it was me I'd just look to upgrade on Carrick and make him the back-up, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if LVG goes with the versatile player solution you're talking about.

I'm not sure Gundogan is so good as a DM myself. I've only ever seen him doing well alongside somebody like Kehl or Bender who do more of the defensive reading and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not interested. I've heard it all before and I'm thoroughly unconvinced by the argument. But I can still empathise with his fans who aren't going to see the best of him in an exciting new system.

Fair enough, you never know you might change your opinion on him years after he retires ;) I know quite a few people who complained about Nicky Butt during his playing days and now talk about how big a player he was for us.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Fair enough, you never know you might change your opinion on him years after he retires ;) I know quite a few people who complained about Nicky Butt during his playing days and now talk about how big a player he was for us.

FFS even when I don't criticise Carrick I have broken records like you trying to change my opinion. No chance you could have just accepted my post for what it was, a friendly recognition of the situation his fans are in.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    If it was me I'd just look to upgrade on Carrick and make him the back-up, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if LVG goes with the versatile player solution you're talking about.

I'm not sure Gundogan is so good as a DM myself. I've only ever seen him doing well alongside somebody like Kehl or Bender who do more of the defensive reading and running.

Not sure why Vidal is not the mix unless he's ruled himself out of every leaving Juve for another club??
    I hadn't watched him in quite some time but going on last nights performance he certainly fills the requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

maybe a full pre-season and some weights over the summer will improve him, but based on current performances in CM for us, I would not trust him as first choice player in that role. His passing is nice (if a little overly cautious at times) but I feel he has been gone past too easily too much. Performance vs Everton was disappointing, though he wasn't the only one that day.

Blind has a really good read of the game.

You don't win player of the year in Holland, as a holding midfielder, without being exceptional.

He is quicker people give him credit for, but his strengths are his read of the game. Not sure what peoples expectations are, or understanding of different positions, but you don't just walk into a new team and league, play DM, and pickup where you left off. Especially a team in flux with injury and adapting to a new managers demands.

I'd be thoroughly happy to see Blind in Carricks role in the new season, after having a full pre-season, rest, and the team being settled.You should have been able to see enough during his spell in DM to see, interceptions, awareness, ball retention and through balls when opportunity arose.

He is excellent at it, and if you don't see a DM come in it's because Blind will be taking that over from Carrick. And I'd have no problems with it.

It's the left CM channel that Van Gaal needs to address, now that Hererra has settled into the right channel. Fellaini and Rooney are not viable options there.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Blind has a really good read of the game.

You don't win player of the year in Holland, as a holding midfielder, without being exceptional.

He is quicker people give him credit for, but his strengths are his read of the game. Not sure what peoples expectations are, or understanding of different positions, but you don't just walk into a new team and league, play DM, and pickup where you left off. Especially a team in flux with injury and adapting to a new managers demands.

I'd be thoroughly happy to see Blind in Carricks role in the new season, after having a full pre-season, rest, and the team being settled.You should have been able to see enough during his spell in DM to see, interceptions, awareness, ball retention and through balls when opportunity arose.

He is excellent at it, and if you don't see a DM come in it's because Blind will be taking that over from Carrick. And I'd have no problems with it.

It's the left CM channel that Van Gaal needs to address, now that Hererra has settled into the right channel. Fellaini and Rooney are not viable options there.

Blind hasn't been great @ DM position this season though when's he has gotten the chance.

@ LB he has shined.

• Advertisement

Your spot on there. Gundogan is not a DM in any shape way or form. His defensive side is arguably the weakest part of his game. He is best driving from CM and has a really nice range of passing and offers really good creativity behind the attacking line.

Seen a few written articles calling him a defensive midfielder or a "German Carrick" and I'm not sure where or how those conclusions are being met.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Blind hasn't been great @ DM position this season though when's he has gotten the chance.

@ LB he has shined.

While he hasn't reached his Ajax form(whilst I didn't see much off, the general consensus from Ajax viewers was he was sensational) I saw enough to know there is a good tactical astute and intelligent player in there.

I'd give him the massive benefit of the doubt with the injuries in the team when he was playing DM and how the team were clearly struggling with the Van Gaal way, not to mention also playing in that 3-5-2 early on.

Wouldn't be surprised if Van Gaal has Daley hanging on the coat tails of Carrick to learn as much as he can from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Blind had played DM all season long you would see Ajax form. Playing LB one week and DM the other does not help things along.

TheDoc wrote: »

What is it that makes you say that?

blind as DM is meh, not good enough imo, very good player all the same and a great squad player for Man utd. Can play in both midfield and defence. If we are making a move for a midfielder in the summer and di Maria wants to leave (which looks 50-50 to me at the minute along with de gea) we wouldn't be too badly effected if we tried to include Bale as part of the de Gea deal and Verratti as part of the di Maria deal. We would probably be in a much stronger position than we are in right now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Should we maybe be thinking of English players aswell lads? Like can afford many more foreign players? The league has that homegrown rule when registering PL squads. How much leeway do we have in that sense?

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/595877557607759873

Despite the fears of losing our way in the summer, United still have used the second most English players this season. Only QPR have used more. Think we'll be grand on the HG Rules.

Jones, Smalling, Rooney, Carrick, Shaw, Blackett, Lingard, Young and Wilson are 9 off the top of my head who'll all likely still be there next summer. As far as I know, we need 8 homegrown players.

(Not sure if the likes of McNair counts, but think he does, so he'd be 10).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blind has been just about alright. He has only filled in at lb a few times.

I would certainly be very disappointed if he was the replacement for Carrick. He would certainly be a couple of steps down.

He is slow. Its not a myth. he just isnt very pacey and gets run by very easily.

Decent player and nice to have around but certainly not good enough for such an important role in the team imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I read on the gaurdiann that Pirlo said he would like to leave if they win the champions leauge and would like to go to Spain or England to round off his career.

He could teach our players about philosophy and wine while on the bench. He would be excellent as a sub for closing out games or a back up along with carrick to the dm we will sign this year.
    Or just pay him to be around the club so we get more gifs and pictures of him showing phils jones the difference in a white wine glass and a red wine glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Or just pay him to be around the club so we get more gifs and pictures of him showing phils jones the difference in a white wine glass and a red wine glass.

This part just made me burst out laughing in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

adox wrote: »
    Blind has been just about alright. He has only filled in at lb a few times.

I would certainly be very disappointed if he was the replacement for Carrick. He would certainly be a couple of steps down.

He is slow. Its not a myth. he just isnt very pacey and gets run by very easily.

Decent player and nice to have around but certainly not good enough for such an important role in the team imo.

Did... did you just use a pace argument in favour of Michael Carrick? Have you taken a blow to the head recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Blind will get better I've no doubt about that. New team, new country, niggling injuries all season barely any pre season with world cup that can be hard for a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

What is it about RedCafe's obsession with Real Madrid? There's a thread about nearly every one of their players on the Transfer Forum. There are other football clubs in the world :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Pogba's agent: "Real Madrid are a club that buy players like you buy a facecloth and then throws them away like a facecloth."

Shots fired :D

#DiMariaIsAFacecloth

Nobody is saying he's done and dusted for fùck sake.

I was not speaking to you at all.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/595877557607759873

Despite the fears of losing our way in the summer, United still have used the second most English players this season. Only QPR have used more. Think we'll be grand on the HG Rules.

Jones, Smalling, Rooney, Carrick, Shaw, Blackett, Lingard, Young and Wilson are 9 off the top of my head who'll all likely still be there next summer. As far as I know, we need 8 homegrown players.

(Not sure if the likes of McNair counts, but think he does, so he'd be 10).
    Thats grand so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pogba's agent: "Real Madrid are a club that buy players like you buy a facecloth and then throws them away like a facecloth."

#DiMariaIsAFacecloth

The same Pogba's agent who moved him on before his first 10 first team appearances and looks to be trying to do the same after a few more years? #JuveArePogbasFacecloth.

I think Shaws injuries has affected Blind. A fully fit Shaw to nail down LB and Blind could then be given a chance really prosper in regular DM role. In a debut season at a new club in a new league after no preseason being shunted around LB/LWB/DMC definitely hindered him. A set spell in one position would help lest he just become an O'Shea/Phil Neville (nothing wrong with that mind that is excellent to have in a squad). I just think Blind is good enough to become a regular.

I was not speaking to you at all.

It doesn't matter. Nobody suggested he's done and dusted.

It doesn't matter. Nobody suggested he's done and dusted.

I never accused anybody of saying that.:confused:

We put that one to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

We put that one to bed

Seems you can't make a simple statement around here anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What did you say about my disabled black brother with one lung?

You're so insensitive.

#DiMariaIsAFacecloth

I reckon if Juve get to final or even win CL he might be tempted to stay where he is.

You're so insensitive.

Who the f*ck are you calling insensitive???

We put that one to bed

I think it's weird that you think your part of the conversation was unrelated to the previous bits of the conversartion.

I think it's weird that you think your part of the conversation was unrelated to the previous bits of the conversartion.

He basically said he hopes Carrick has a few years left in him. You need to chill the f*ck out.

Sorry for you then.

Sorry for you then.

Don't worry about it. The two of us see the conversation differently, but it's hardly important at this stage.

He basically said he hopes Carrick has a few years left in him. You need to chill the f*ck out.

I'm not interested in your input Will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Jesus Christ on a bike this place is getting tougher going by the day and I only lurk around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Top notch banter

CEQdwKuWAAEy7YP.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement