Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Cannot wait for the inevitable variation of chants to 'Walking in Memphis'

Start learning it now lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Can't wait to hear a chant with the chorus from this in it haha :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Stick Rooney up top and Mata in behind.

Di Maria should be the third midfielder. I'd be trying him out in front of Fellaini and Herrera for the rest of the season to see if it works with Rooney/RVP up front, Mata on the right and Young on the left. Not going to happen but sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Haha snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

very positive news, hopefully he turns into the superstar that has the potential to be.

1 down, 4 to go!

DDG
    New RB
    New CB
    Smalling
    Shaw

Herrera
    New CM
    Depay
    Di Maria
    Rooney

New CF

Wheres my man Phil??
    jones-381593.jpg

bangkok wrote: »
    ah he was always going to sign, we made the move 2 or 3 weeks ago. good timing all the same

We always needed the 3 points against Palace this weekend, we made a c**t of it the last 2 or 3 weeks, good time for a bit of great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Depay's primary best position is LW, but lets remember he can also play on the right, as a striker and as a CAM :D

Depay's primary best position is LW, but lets remember he can also play on the right, as a striker and as a CAM :D

Yes but as is tradition at Manchester United he will most likely partner young Smalling at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Love the idea of getting in there early before the window even opens, also love the price, for a player of his age and obvious talent I think we have done a nice bit of business, I would have expected him to move for 30 million minimum in today's market especially when you consider there were other clubs in for him or certainly sniffing around.

Ok, next a new CB and centre midfield please.. Too much to expect before the end of the week ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wheres my man Phil??

warming the bench for the season hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yes but as is tradition at Manchester United he will most likely partner young Smalling at CB.

Don't be ridiculous. LWB has been crying out for some new blood :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

But whose bench ? Actually I hope he stays, he is still only 23 and while I feel injuries may have hampered his progress somewhat I think if he looses that rash streak and mature a bit and improve his decision making he can do a job for us, much prefer to see Evans out the door before Jones.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No embedded scantily clad lady gifs/pics folks, most people browse this forum from work

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very happy, saw Depay trending on twitter and thought, 'could it be...'
    Then it was fist pumping the air time.

Hopefully the first goal machine from the left wing since we sold Ronaldo. Which I think he can be, did it at 20 years of age at the world cup with 2 goals in 4 games, and has kept the goal scoring form going at club level.
    I think this could end up being an exceptional signing.

4-3-3

De Gea
    New RB, Smalling, Laporte, Rojo (Shaw injured himself again)
    Herrera, Pogba, Blind
    Di Maria, Rooney, Depay

Threw Pogba in for a bit of fun...the future super signing
    Also think Laporte will sign, just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Pmsl the Memphis news has set my pool friends on Facebook into an angry beast lol

He's the defender United deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hopefully a place can be settled for Di Maria over the summer. I'd imagine on immediate formation, Depay would be replacing Young, operating on the left side of the front three.

Di Maria ideally should be operating as the left CM of the three in midfield, as he did for Madrid. But there is probable cause for him to operate out on the right of the front three.

Two inverted wingers with pace, flanking Rooney, could potentially be a winning ticket.

I think one thing for sure is that while there will be some secondary formations, I'd imagine LVG will go into next season after a pre-season working on his coveted 4-3-3, and the signings he makes will be for that 4-3-3.

Rooney needs to go for a striker with pace to match Di Maria and Depay, otherwise all their pace is waste when there's noone there for the final ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Context man, f*cking context...

Or is Bart a Liverpool fan?

Yes he is. Underachiever and proud. :D

• Advertisement

LVGs comments during the week about players needing to adapt quicker than this season could be telling in terms of who he expects to come in...his last 3 signings have been past players of his (Valdes & Daley).

also a good sign that the club is intent on getting work done asap.

LVGs comments during the week about players needing to adapt quicker than this season could be telling in terms of who he expects to come in...his last 3 signings have been past players of his (Valdes & Daley).

also a good sign that the club is intent on getting work done asap.

Thats the main thing Im happy about. Delighted with the signing of course but thrilled with how quick it was.

Don't know how long we were serious contenders, hard to know based on paper talk, and I know we had looked into him in previous windows but I expected PSG or Liverpool to be ahead of us and us signing him today took me by surprise. Didnt expect it at all.

It's going to be an interesting transfer window. VG has had a year and knows in his mind now whos staying going, what they need and who they need. I can imagine a lot of movement, (not of too many first team players but players on the fringes). I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

very positive news, hopefully he turns into the superstar that has the potential to be.

1 down, 4 to go!

DDG
    New RB
    New CB
    Smalling
    Shaw

Herrera
    New CM
    Depay
    Di Maria
    Rooney

New CF

That is exactly how I want to see us line up next season.
    My transfer list would be:

Winger = Depay (done deal)
    RB = Cylne
    CB = Hummels
    CM/CDM = Gundogan
    CF/ST = Benteke

Then for the people we should sell/send out, it should be:

Evans
    Falcao (unless we can extend his loan to Jan)
    Valencia
    Januzaj (season bpl loan)
    Wilson (season bpl loan) - could be used to get benteke
    Van Persie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

The news broke while I was interviewing for a job in Eindhoven. So, I accept full responsibility for the signing going through. That, or they knew in advance and wanted to see if I was keeping one eye on a transfer news tab.

CR 7 wrote: »
    The news broke while I was interviewing for a job in Eindhoven. So, I accept full responsibility for the signing going through. That, or they knew in advance and wanted to see if I was keeping one eye on a transfer news tab.

Maybe they are signing you as a replacement for Depay and thats why they gave the deal the go ahead!

CEZm4noWAAEeML5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pmsl the Memphis news has set my pool friends on Facebook into an angry beast lol

What are they saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maybe they are signing you as a replacement for Depay and thats why they gave the deal the go ahead!

You could be right. Better get the wife to make some vaguely negative comments about Dutch weather. That should at least double my wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Is Depay available for the Palace game or will he be cup tied :pac:

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

1 down, 4 to go!

DDG
    New RB
    New CB
    Smalling
    Shaw

Herrera
    New CM
    Depay
    Di Maria
    Rooney

New CF

Making grand assumptions on signings, I envisage the below.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=70fx3 ( Rooney up top, name didnt save)

Regardless of players, I'd say that is the sort of rough shape formation that will appear. Van Gaal hasn't put that much emphasis on a 10 this season, which is a somewhat part from his former setups(so I'm told).

But as discussed previously during that blitzing spell against Spurs, Liverpool and City, the triangles formed between the left and right side full backs, CM's and wingers, was tremendous, so maybe he might fancy keeping that up.

• Advertisement

I do not understand any of the Clyne hype.

Neither do I to be fair, but I don't watch Southampton. A fair few reputible people here and in the UK(on the more football orientated websites) seem to rate him highly, and appears he will be Englands no.1 right back for some time. Granted not much competition with Walker there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think he's an excellent right back, he's suffering from that reverse hype of British players, where it becomes really fashionable to say they're overhyped until they become completely underestimated to the point they're not that good at all.

Bale got it for a long time...

He hasn't been amazing this season, but at the moment there is really a lack of quality rbs available. I can't see carvajal leaving this summer despite danilo coming in. Is dani alves a free this summer?? He is 32 so I think we should leave him out.

Cylne would be available imo and southampton are a sellign club so as long as we can get for 20 mil or there about I would be happy. As long as valencia doesn't start week in week out next season

Cannot wait for the inevitable variation of chants to 'Walking in Memphis'

oh we walking in Memphis
    Scousers thought they'd already signed the deal,
    oh we walking in Memphis
    But do I really feel the way I feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Great signing!

Exciting young talent at a reasonable price. Don't think anyone can complain about this one :)

And surely having LVG as manager made the deal easier to conclude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Hopefully....hopefully....this signals a change in transfer strategy and we can do deals ala Chelsea and get them all out of the way early in the summer.

Hummels next hopefully and then we can concentrate of the 3 other signings we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Coat22 wrote: »
    Hopefully....hopefully....this signals a change in transfer strategy and we can do deals ala Chelsea and get them all out of the way early in the summer.

Hummels next hopefully and then we can concentrate of the 3 other signings we need.

The club has always followed this strategy. The only thing that forced signings to be later in the window over the last 2 years is the fact we had 2 new managers. New managers, new targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Excellent piece of business getting this done so soon, you have to hand it to ed and whoever else handles the financials.

Very excited for next season already. Hopefully we will quit fcukin about this weekend and stuff Palace, tough bloody game though and I'm worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/MemphisDepay/status/596291945690963968

Hopefully.

Also with Di Maria playing as Left center mid, Depay as LW and Shaw as LB we will kill the teams from left side. Pace, trickery and a rocket shots from one end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

xtal191 wrote: »

Nice video :)

Quick, skilful, two footed, goal scorer. What's not to like!

Some of his through balls were pretty tasty but I'm LVG will knock that out of him! :p

At the risk of starting another Nani debate; he looks like a Nani with end product :p In all seriousness I'd like to see them play together, Depay on the left, Nani on the right.

He's the kind of player Nani would thrive playing with; quick and inventive with good instincts.

We're building a good nucleus of quick intelligent instinctive attacking players. Now whether LVG will let them go out and play with freedom, we'll have to wait and see. Here's hoping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just here to say Hello!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just here to say Hello!

howya now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No embedded scantily clad lady gifs/pics folks, most people browse this forum from work

wasting company time on boards? should be sacked, immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

oh we walking in Memphis
    Scousers thought they'd already signed the deal,
    oh we walking in Memphis
    But do I really feel the way I feel?

Just one song without "them" in it please

other than that its good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MemphisDepay/status/596291945690963968

Hopefully.

Also with Di Maria playing as Left center mid, Depay as LW and Shaw as LB we will kill the teams from left side. Pace, trickery and a rocket shots from one end.

And with Herrera as right center mid, Nani as RW and some new fancy RB, we will kill them from the right side, right guys? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

And with Herrera as right center mid, Nani as RW and some new fancy RB, we will kill them from the right side, right guys? :D

Fellaini throwing shapes in the middle??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/elko_b/status/596286734645731328

That would be an initial fee of £20.5m... That would be unreal value...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Fellaini throwing shapes in the middle??

Fellaini at #9 obviously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement