Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paulbok wrote: »
    Transfer process on boards coming together.
    FutureGuy says who we are not signing,
    TSC goes away for a few hours and leaves us to our own devices,*
    Zerks starts working on the celebratory gifs,

Then BOOM, new player.

*Is Lord TSC Ed Woodward?

Oops.I forgot my part.

0D00v.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United had scouts over in Spain to watch Aymeric Laporte, and it is claimed they are keen to sign him. While Van Gaal also wants a ball playing defender in Hummels, according to Squawka.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    PSV are a really classy club.

Yeah surprised to see club being so gracious in losing their star player. They have posted multiple interviews, videos and also video of their players congratulating Depay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

while LVG has not had a great first season, its great to have a manager who commands so much respect that we can literally go and sign players like Valdes, Depay and Blind with a minimal of fuss.

similiar to us and the Thiago/Pep thing 2 years ago i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I still think we are tracking Ottamendi although the price will have to be reduced or we wont be signing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys congrats on a signing Depay. Has the potential to be great. I didn't believe for a minute we(Liverpool) had a chance of signing him when the links surfaced a few days ago.
    Van Gaal had a lot to do with this one id say and I was surprised you lot didn't manage to pick him up last year. Will you still go for Bale as well now or was it one or the other ?

PS. Please don't sell us Young
    PLEASSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd say if Bale became available we would still try get him for that wide right spot, you couldn't risk letting him go to Chelsea or City

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Guys congrats on a signing Depay. Has the potential to be great. I didn't believe for a minute we(Liverpool) had a chance of signing him when the links surfaced a few days ago.
    Van Gaal had a lot to do with this one id say and I was surprised you lot didn't manage to pick him up last year. Will you still go for Bale as well now or was it one or the other ?

PLEASSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE

Bale not for sale if reports are to be believed. But most expect a big name signing to start the Adidas era.

Young had an ok season, saved us on the goal line, scored some important goals/assists. He is good to have around as back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

PLEASSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE

I'm afraid our future transfer goals are confidential. Only the members of the forum, Woodward and VG know so we shouldnt comment. But I will add a little Argentinian may be making his way to Old Trafford soon ;)

Ah to be honest with the Young talk, he's actually played quite well this season for us, more so than others, he might stay as back up or decide to leave but can't see him ever ending up in a Liverpool shirt though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say if Bale became available we would still try get him for that wide right spot, you couldn't risk letting him go to Chelsea or City

I can see United spending a pile of money this year. Its so hard for us to compete when ye have such massive revenue streams.

I can see United spending a pile of money this year. Its so hard for us to compete when ye have such massive revenue streams.

The Adidas and Chevrolet deals are big advantages. A lot more funds available.

Chris Smalling to become are right back...just calling it before it happens.

Remember who said it first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Immense? really? I would say pretty decent at best.

Agreed. No immense LW scores 2 and assists 3 in a season.

Sure Memphis has 20 goals or there abouts this season alone! :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if all major signings were wrapped up before July. Clyne and Depay, by all accounts, are very likely to be signed and that makes alot of sense. Hummels is also looking increasingly likely, and all three could be signed in June.

A CM would perhaps be a later acquisition unless they are being super quiet about current activities.

Apologies guys, I realize I jeopardized everything earlier in the month.

We are not signing...

hmmm...let's see...

...Hummels.

Yes, that'll do.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Chris Smalling to become are right back...just calling it before it happens.

Remember who said it first ;)

I'm calling VG to put Jones through training. He'll be the fastest player on the team and strongest, move to right back and dazzle with his skillful dribbling, goal saving tackles, and accuracy from the dead ball. :pac:

• Advertisement

We are not signing...

hmmm...let's see...

...Hummels.

Yes, that'll do.

cough*say messi*cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is probably the end of Nani i would imagine with Young and Valencia staying :(

the other side of it is that if we sell 3 or 4 senior players, we need to sign 6 or 7 to get our squad size back up to the required levels.

Bale not for sale if reports are to be believed. But most expect a big name signing to start the Adidas era.

Young had an ok season, saved us on the goal line, scored some important goals/assists. He is good to have around as back up.

We are not signing any big name signing to start the Adidas era.

I can see United spending a pile of money this year.

No.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm calling VG to put Jones through training. He'll be the fastest player on the time and strongest, move to right back and dazzle with his skillful dribbling, goal saving tackles, and accuracy from the dead ball. :pac:

lol I'm sure that is what Fergie tells Van Gaal when it comes to Jones...

• Advertisement

• FutureGuy wrote: »

We are not signing...

hmmm...let's see...

...Hummels.

Yes, that'll do.

Do you like use Tarot cards?
    My missus went to a fortune teller last weekend and I was wondering why she pulled the card that said 'Depay' four times

lol I'm sure that is what Fergie tells Van Gaal when it comes to Jones...

A boy can dream :rolleyes:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Do you like use Tarot cards?
    My missus went to a fortune teller last weekend and I was wondering why she pulled the card that said 'Depay' four times

Is Depay four times a £82 million signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

this is probably the end of Nani i would imagine with Young and Valencia staying :(

the other side of it is that if we sell 3 or 4 senior players, we need to sign 6 or 7 to get our squad size back up to the required levels.

First I've heard of Valencia staying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Bale not for sale if reports are to be believed. But most expect a big name signing to start the Adidas era..
    We are not signing any big name signing to start the Adidas era.

I read BOTH of them as "Attitude Era"

Been spending too much time in the pro wrestling forum! :pac:

KH25 wrote: »
    First I've heard of Valencia staying?

He signed a multi year contract last summer. But then contracts can be torn up to sell the player.

I would keep Valencia for the League cup, FA cup and back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BabettevHaaren/status/596327707048280064

According to reports from France,PSG are to be limited to a €48 million transfer spend ala City.They'll have to sell to buy.Di Maria may not be going there despite rumours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He signed a multi year contract last summer. But then contracts can be torn up to sell the player.

I would keep Valencia for the League cup, FA cup and back up.

Yup, he's signed up to 2018. LVG loves players who do what they're told (And he'd have sanctioned the contract extension). I can't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yup, he's signed up to 2018. LVG loves players who do what they're told (And he'd have sanctioned the contract extension). I can't see him going anywhere.

Cavani most likely will be leaving, and he would fetch easily €40m in todays market

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

TheDoc wrote: »
    Cavani most likely will be leaving, and he would fetch easily €40m in todays market

Think you quoted the wrong post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Veratti & Cavani for Di Maria could be a nice deal :D In saying that i think Di Maria should be given another season to rekindle his spark,unless he wants to leave of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think you quoted the wrong post.

I did, I'm just going to leave it off for a few hours, the excitement has got to me.

Overuse of superlatives, misquoting, short posts, I'm just not myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Would snap PSG's hand off for Veratti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Cavani would be a sensational buy to play #9 on his own with Mata (but more likely Rooney) in behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

KH25 wrote: »
    Would snap PSG's hand off for Veratti.
    Absolutely fantastic player!

• RobertKK wrote: »
    Is Depay four times a £82 million signing?

But 82 million = Bale
    But then Bale gets cancelled out by Depay

It's like a mind ****

Nuts102 wrote: »
    One or the other for me i think Smalling has done more than enough to show he is good enough and will keep improving with regular first team football.

Van Gaal won't forget his defensive nightmares this season in my opinion. Then with extra games, maybe Evans sold, I think he will try and end up with +1 extra defender overall.
    Laporte nice and young, with exceptional talent - something LVG loves.
    It was interesting weaching Hummels playing against Bayern in the domestic cup semi final game, the commentator said Hummels needs to remember he is a defender before he is anything else. Getting forward too much was the complaint of the commentator.
    I think these two are topping the list right now.

I think if we had Smalling and the two players mentioned, we would have our central defense sorted for years, presuming new defenders worked out.

Jones needs to work on his ball playing abilities. Smalling, Rojo and McNair leave him in the shade.

If we go back to the dark days of lots of injuries, didn't we have to play Carrick in defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smalling at the start of this season barely looked like he could play a pass without messing it up, I wouldn't be totally sure those days are behind him when put under pressure, something that hasn't really happened since his "resurgence".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Smalling at the start of this season barely looked like he could play a pass without messing it up, I wouldn't be totally sure those days are behind him when put under pressure, something that hasn't really happened since his "resurgence".

And Evans couldn't play a pass all season without messing it up yet you continually defend him.

Smalling has improved leaps and bounds under LVG with the ball at his feet. He has been very good this season the only big mistake against City.

He has been head and shoulders our best defender this year and i think he deserves to be the our number 1 cb.

• Advertisement

Van Gaal won't forget his defensive nightmares this season in my opinion.

Can you point our all the games where Smalling had defensive nightmares because i can only think of one.

Can you point our all the games where Smalling had defensive nightmares because i can only think of one.

That is not the problem. Man City away was the most brainless game by Smalling, it was an exception and he played very well since, and one would have to say it was out of character, but it happened none the less.

Smalling is our first choice central defender, then we have Jones who is always getting injured, Rojo who is appearing to be injury prone, Evans who is not good enough and one could say injury prone and McNair who lacks experience but who looks a very good prospect.
    Blackett is too inexperienced and currently not good enough.
    With the record of the current players, selling one and buying two makes sense to me.
    Whether reports that LVG wants two CBs are true, we have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Pretty sure I heard LVG complementing Smalling only recently saying he's come on leaps and bounds this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And Evans couldn't play a pass all season without messing it up yet you continually defend him.

Smalling has improved leaps and bounds under LVG with the ball at his feet. He has been very good this season the only big mistake against City.

He has been head and shoulders our best defender this year and i think he deserves to be the our number 1 cb.

And yet United's best defending has been with Evans on the pitch with him making more passes a game than anyone else in defense. He's miles better than Smalling will ever be on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think people forget Jones is only 23.
    Read statsy article the other day saying jones was the best young defender based on some index. No idea what it all meant.

But in the end I think they meant to say is that jones is good

Liam O wrote: »
    And yet United's best defending has been with Evans on the pitch with him making more passes a game than anyone else in defense. He's miles better than Smalling will ever be on the ball.

So you criticised Smalling for something it was pointed out that Evans has been far worse at it and now your totally changing the subject using meaningless stats.

• Advertisement

• I think people forget Jones is only 23.
    Read statsy article the other day saying jones was the best young defender based on some index. No idea what it all meant.

But in the end I think they meant to say is that jones is good

He is good when he actually gets a few runs under his belt, I thought he has been really solid along side Smalling recently
    Smalling is the more technical of the two and can bring the ball out of defence while Jones can do most of the 'Vidic' stuff

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He is good when he actually gets a few runs under his belt, I thought he has been really solid along side Smalling recently
    Smalling is the more technical of the two and can bring the ball out of defence while Jones can do most of the 'Vidic' stuff

Yeah thats the problem with young defenders, they need to make mistakes to learn, but a mistake leads to a goal.

Look at wilson, comes on and wastes a few shots or runs around to unproductive areas, he has the flexibility to actually do this and not 'cost' the team anything.

Its mildy irritating when people harp on about oh next duncan edwards me hole, he was 19 at the time, or what does so many managers see in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its hard not to think that we are past the point where it matters how good Smalling or Jones are, because their ability is not worth a **** if we can't rely on them to be available for selection.

Any word on Jones next injury? I hear he is back in training, so we probably won't have to wait long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I laugh at all these things but then feel bad becuase its petty and small time.

Then I remember all the comments. all.of.them.

Any other club/fans and no one would bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement