Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Does anyone think if De Gea was in the form he was in last season Moyes would have been given more time as the results wouldn't have been so bad?

David De Gea was voted our player of the season for 2013/14. He was also outstanding last season.
    United would have lost 4 or 5-1

Last year, he wasn't capable of making some very accomplished saves?
    thinking of how many points he has won United this season would probably see them down in 7th or 8th.

Where would Arsenal be without Sanchez?

Where would City be without Aguero?

Where would Chelsea be without Hazard?

Is it really a shock that a world class player performing to his level has a significant influence on a team getting better results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    BVB09 besides the mess this season is the perfect example I would like United to follow

They had amazing talent over the last 10 years who were not all from the Youth team but scouted properly

They were/are a Team who could pretty much rip apart any team in Europe and most likely beyond

Its getting harder to have pride in united when their objective seems not to build a team but to try and buy single fixes because the amazing talent is not around them who they have been playing with for years

Where are these single fixes? Lvg has always gone on about the team and balance.

Obviously you need to buy single players to fix an aspect in a team.

It's incredibly rare fr a youth super star to make it. Utd have been buying their fair share of them over the last few years. I'm not sure what your on about. Utd and Barcelona have the highest amounts of footballers who made it pro playing around Europe who came from their youths. You will now point to pogba, he was one in 1 million. For every one youth player that makes it there is hundreds more who didn't, then hundreds more who turn out average and play for Norwich.

Think you have been reading to many click baits.

Utd have had more success in the last 10 years than Dortmund as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

No it would quailify you a click bait jurno which is where you read all them names.
    Im going to take a wild guess and say youve never read a scouting report from a United scout.

Give me a list of the players bought for the First team we scouted who were signed for the past season who are not household names before they were signed

Ander Herrera - Household
    Luke Shaw - Household
    Marcos Rojo - Household
    Ángel Di María - Housegold
    Daley Blind - Household
    Víctor Valdés - Household

I could have come up with these names

All the players listed above besides Valdés ( Free) will be sold at a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Give me a list of the players bought for the First team we scouted who were signed for the past season who are not household names before they were signed

What point are you trying to make? It would be very unusual for a top club in any league to buy a player who hasn't established themselves and put them straight into the first team.

United buy prospects all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Luke Shaw - Household
    Marcos Rojo - Household
    Daley Blind - Household

TBH mate I havent a clue who we scouted, but I'd imagine it included a wide variety of names.

I also dont care if I know a player before hand if we sign him or not once they improve the squad.

The world has also changed these days with information more readily available to people I'd read or hear about more players in a week than I would have in 12 months compared to 5 years ago. Everyones knwoledge is much greater now than it was.

2 years ago Blind, Shaw, Rojo, Herrea werent very well known in my house so I commend you for your exceelent footballer knwoledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Where are these single fixes? Lvg has always gone on about the team and balance.

Obviously you need to buy single players to fix an aspect in a team.

It's incredibly rare fr a youth super star to make it. Utd have been buying their fair share of them over the last few years. I'm not sure what your on about. Utd and Barcelona have the highest amounts of footballers who made it pro playing around Europe who came from their youths. You will now point to pogba, he was one in 1 million. For every one youth player that makes it there is hundreds more who didn't, then hundreds more who turn out average and play for Norwich.

Think you have been reading to many click baits.

Utd have had more success in the last 10 years than Dortmund as well.

My Point is when the transfer window opens again I dont want to see the names like Falcao's , Di Maria's whos clubs ditch them and we sign due to the name.

I would like to see Younger great talent brought in who will make a difference to the club rather then Shirt sales.

Household names??? I don't get what you mean by this?

Yeah we bought them to play in the first team. You know, because they were of the quality to play in the first team of the biggest club in the world to win things. I don't know why you are so angry about this.

So we should buy players who may or not be of the quality desired and hope they suddenly become of the quality we need in the first team?

Go on, give us your list of hipster players

My Point is when the transfer window opens again I dont want to see the names like Falcao's , Di Maria's whos clubs ditch them and we sign due to the name.

I would like to see Younger great talent brought in who will make a difference to the club rather then Shirt sales.

Like who?

Transfers for shirt sales is a proven myth.

Well I would prefer names like di Maria falcao rather than Simon from the North Korean gulags.

Just imagine the meltdown in here if we signed 7 players no one had heard of rather than the ones we did.
    I would be voting Bangkok as my leader

Like who?

Transfers for shirt sales is a proven myth.

Well I would prefer names like di Maria falcao rather than Simon from the North Korean gulags

LOL i was going to go with the Buenos Aires rangers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Luke Shaw - Household
    Marcos Rojo - Household
    Daley Blind - Household

Herrera was only a household name due tot he transfer oddity the previous year, Rojo was not a household name, Valdes was not a summer transfer nor is he anything other then a favour from Van Gaal, Blind was not a household name.

Maybe you could give the definition of a household name?

Players who are known worldwide are household names, at least continentally recognised.

Rojo played in Portugal for a team that is not Benfica or Porto, not much was known about him even when he signed, how can he be called a household name?

I may have known about him, you may have known about him, but the majority of casual observers would not have a clue who he was.

Edit: Just to be clear, the term household name. It was brought into the fantastic world of football terms to signify that a player was known by everyone in the house, even if they didnt really know anything about football or have an interest in it, they would still be famous enough that they would be aware of their existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

kryogen wrote: »
    Herrera was only a household name due tot he transfer oddity the previous year, Rojo was not a household name, Valdes was not a summer transfer nor is he anything other then a favour from Van Gaal, Blind was not a household name.

Maybe you could give the definition of a household name?

Players who are known worldwide are household names, at least continentally recognised.

Rojo played in Portugal for a team that is not Benfica or Porto, not much was known about him even when he signed, how can he be called a household name?

I may have known about him, you may have known about him, but the majority of casual observers would not have a clue who he was.

Same goes for Blind and Shaw is typical ManUtd signing. Young player with lots of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Does anybody think that lvg missed a great opportunity against Sunderland at home??

Falcao is just after producing his best piece of quality all season and brilliantly won a penalty. At home, opposition down to 10 men and United have half an hour to go in search of more goals.

If ever there was a chance to get him a couple of goals and get him up and running that was it but he hauls him off instead. Didn't make much sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'd agree with you but that policy whilst good inevitably got the club into the mess its in now.

For too long over the last 5 years Ferguson was building up the squad by buying in young untried players ,often for substantial amounts .
    He should have been trying to mix unproven players with proven quality but most likely due to the Glazers financial restraints the club wouldnt stump up the cash required .

Its less than 2 years ago since people were foolishly proclaiming the Utd squad was the strongest of all time and Ferguson had built a great squad for his successor .

Phil Jones is not the next Bobby Jones he was heralded as,Smalling isnt good enough to be at the club,Zaha was dumped at a cost of £400k per minute played,Fabio is gone,Rafael cant get a game,Welbeck has been sold ,Cleverley will be gone in the summer,Hernandez is out on loan,Macheda gone, Buttner gone,not least I forget the great Bebe .
    There are many more names too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

tastyt wrote: »
    Does anybody think that lvg missed a great opportunity against Sunderland at home??

Falcao is just after producing his best piece of quality all season and brilliantly won a penalty. At home, opposition down to 10 men and United have half an hour to go in search of more goals.

If ever there was a chance to get him a couple of goals and get him up and running that was it but he hauls him off instead. Didn't make much sense

He had been utterly useless in the game up to that and deserved to be hauled off.

This time of the season isnt the time to be hoping a player will suddenly find form.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United team at Cheltenham today. Hopefully some good horse inspires them...or if a jockey has a fall they realise what a real dive is.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

v3ttel wrote: »
    David De Gea was voted our player of the season for 2013/14. He was also outstanding last season.

Last year, he wasn't capable of making some very accomplished saves?

Where would Arsenal be without Sanchez?

Where would City be without Aguero?

Where would Chelsea be without Hazard?

Is it really a shock that a world class player performing to his level has a significant influence on a team getting better results?

I didn't say he wasn't good last year but he has been for more influential this year than last and has basically single handedly won United games. If Chelsea didn't have Hazard they would still have Costa, Matic, Oscar, City with Silva, etc etc etc. United don't have anyone else who has dragged them kicking and screaming through games they way the other sides do, I do feel that De Gea has kept Van Gaal in a job, any of the other keepers from the clubs in and around the top of the league in nets for United and he would be already gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

tastyt wrote: »

Falcao had done nothing in that game.

The fact that the two defenders decided to bundle him over did not suddenly change that fact, nor was the penalty some sort of football spinach that was suddenly going to give Falcao some pace and finally make him a goal threat.

It was completely the right decision to take him off, just as it was the right decision to leave him on the bench last time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

adox wrote: »
    He had been utterly useless in the game up to that and deserved to be hauled off.

This time of the season isnt the time to be hoping a player will suddenly find form.

what?!!!!

this is the best time for a player to find form, I will be hoping di maria, shaw, blind, falcao, Valencia, jones, all find form quickly

I didn't say he wasn't good last year but he has been for more influential this year than last and has basically single handedly won United games. If Chelsea didn't have Hazard they would still have Costa, Matic, Oscar, City with Silva, etc etc etc. United don't have anyone else who has dragged them kicking and screaming through games they way the other sides do, I do feel that De Gea has kept Van Gaal in a job, any of the other keepers from the clubs in and around the top of the league in nets for United and he would be already gone.

Asking where a team would be without its best player is pointless cause your going into an alternate universe where a million different things couldnt happen why dont we have or best player in this universe did De Gea end up becoming a Ballet dancer instead?

One thing I am sure about is if he didnt have De Gea in goal we would have a different goalie and we have no idea how he would be performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Falcao had done nothing in that game.

The fact that the two defenders decided to bundle him over did not suddenly change that fact, nor was the penalty some sort of football spinach that was suddenly going to give Falcao some pace and finally make him a goal threat.

It was completely the right decision to take him off, just as it was the right decision to leave him on the bench last time out.

Funnily enough goals can actually be like a football spinach to a striker.

I do agree that Rooney should be the main man up top though

• Advertisement

Asking where a team would be without its best player is pointless cause your going into an alternate universe where a million different things couldnt happen why dont we have or best player in this universe did De Gea end up becoming a Ballet dancer instead?

One thing I am sure about is if he didnt have De Gea in goal we would have a different goalie and we have no idea how he would be performing.

De gea would be an assistant manager in a coffee shop.

De gea would be an assistant manager in a coffee shop.

You're right, but he also would have still had an interest in football. He would have traveled to Brazil for the World Cup last summer. While there, he would have been involved in an accident on a rented moped, whereby he was flung in front of Spanish team's bus, causing the driver to swerve and impact the side of an office block.

Diego Costa, having suffered a broken fibula and a lower back injury in the crash, would have missed most of this season. Chelsea, struggling without his goal return, would have failed to pick up as many points.

Without Chelsea's early lead, the league would have been wide open and, with everything to play for the United squad would have been spurred on to a higher level of performance. United would be title challengers right now.

So really, you could argue that De Gea has been bad for our season. Sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

What? Isn't that the point of debate on a football forum? Sure don't speculate on a possible formation, transfer target or potential result of an upcoming fixture in that case cause 'anything could happen'.

What? Isn't that the point of debate on a football forum? Sure don't speculate on a possible formation, transfer target or potential result of an upcoming fixture in that case cause 'anything could happen'.

The variables to your question could go into the millions because as I mentioned you never said why we don't have De Gea. Did he never sign, have we another Goalie, is he injured if so for how long. We could debate the question but as I said its pointless because of how wide it is open and any answer is fantasy stuff.

Formations, transfers etc much less variables much more concrete discussion.

But your right if you want to discuss fantsay land stuff go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »
    United team at Cheltenham today. Hopefully some good horse inspires them...or if a jockey has a fall they realise what a real dive is.

If LVG was a horse trainer his horses would try and bore the other horses and then just pip it on the line and finish 4th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »

This really is the case imo. I don't think we can afford passengers.

I don't see Falcao, Mata, Rafael or Shaw getting much game time coming up if I'm honest.

TheDoc wrote: »

I don't see Falcao, Mata, Rafael or Shaw getting much game time coming up if I'm honest.

I don't see what mata has done not to be getting any game time recently, had 6 goals to his name already then bang, on the bench, hasn't played more than 60min in a long time now id say.

if you are calling them 4 passengers, you surely have to add blind to that? been very poor recently, luckily Carrick is back.

Now knowing it can be a bit pointless to 2nd guess LVG lineups etc but Rafael made the bench for the first time in 5 games v Arsenal instead of McNair who I dont think is injured that added to the reserve run out might indicate he is back in his plans some bit.

I thought I read shaw picked up an injury via arsenal but looking at pyhsioroom it doesnt seem to be the case but it does mention Young has a knock.

bangkok wrote: »
    what?!!!!

this is the best time for a player to find form, I will be hoping di maria, shaw, blind, falcao, Valencia, jones, all find form quickly

I didnt say it wasnt the time for a player to find form. I said it isnt the time to be playing a player hoping he suddenly finds form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I don't see what mata has done not to be getting any game time recently, had 6 goals to his name already then bang, on the bench, hasn't played more than 60min in a long time now id say.

if you are calling them 4 passengers, you surely have to add blind to that? been very poor recently, luckily Carrick is back.

You're like the energizer bunny that just keeps on going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can't say I think Blind is a passenger. I think the odd slip or loose pass he does like, once in a game, seems to overshadow the rest of the good stuff he does.

Smells like Carrick Debate v2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Can't say I think Blind is a passenger. I think the odd slip or loose pass he does like, once in a game, seems to overshadow the rest of the good stuff he does.

Smells like Carrick Debate v2.0

Blind might have had a couple of silly moments but he has most definitely been a positive addition to the squad. Whether or not he will kick it up a level and become one of the first names on the team sheet remains to be seen, but he has been one of LVGs better acquisitions.

I'm delighted we signed him and I still think he will be a very important player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Think Blind's performances have nosedived the last month or so myself. Thought he was excellent before that but not imposing himself enough recently really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Liam O wrote: »
    Think Blind's performances have nosedived the last month or so myself. Thought he was excellent before that but not imposing himself enough recently really.

He looks tired, could do with a break now Carrick is back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

His form has dipped a bit lately alright but then again, so has everyone elses. The only players in our entire squad currently playing to their potential are De Gea and arguably Fellaini!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I personally like Blind but I don't think he is good enough to be first choice. He is very good squad player and while I don't think he is as bad as some say I think he is 1\2 gear short of what we need.

While I was never a huge Carrick fan I always appreciated what he brought to the team and since he be out this season I really do see why we miss him.

For years I could never get my head around why Paul Scholes never got the plaudits he deserved and maybe not in same manner now but Carrick is same in that its only when they are missing you see what you miss and gain.

Quandary wrote: »
    His form has dipped a bit lately alright but then again, so has everyone elses. The only players in our entire squad currently playing to their potential are De Gea and arguably Fellaini!

Fellaini........*shudder*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fellaini........*shudder*

Young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Blind is a nice tidy player. Works hard but is not dynamic enough creatively. Would like to see him kept around as a good squad option. He has a shocking lack of pace though. If we get a couple of class MFs this summer Blind could find himself on the fringes.

Fellaini is good when used correctly, a good addition who can be vital for us at vital times. This image of him being a one dimensional player or a one trick pony only good for a long ball chest trap game is silly. He has more to his game than that and only somone who doesn't know his football would hold that opinion.

Blind is a nice tidy player. Works hard but is not dynamic enough creatively. Would like to see him kept around as a good squad option. He has a shocking lack of pace though. If we get a couple of class MFs this summer Blind could find himself on the fringes.

Fellaini is good when used correctly, a good addition who can be vital for us at vital times. This image of him being a one dimensional player or a one trick pony only good for a long ball chest trap game is silly. He has more to his game than that and only somone who doesn't know his football would hold that opinion.

Yes good player, but will never be man utd standard..... Ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes good player, but will never be man utd standard..... Ever

Is playing better than every Man United player for a season an indication of United standard or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would love if we got Verratti

Is playing better than every Man United player for a season an indication of United standard or not?

Better than who? Blind, young, Valencia, januzaj? Is it any wonder we are out of both cups and struggling in the league. Our goalkeeper will be player of the year 2 years In a row. Says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I am much more of a reader than a poster in this thread, but just seen kryogen closed his account!

Always thought he made excellent posts in here, hope he keeps posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jebus kryogen wtf are you thinking

How can I go on without you?

Better than who? Blind, young, Valencia, januzaj? Is it any wonder we are out of both cups and struggling in the league. Our goalkeeper will be player of the year 2 years In a row. Says it all really

You just said blind has been poor for the last few games, you were giving out about Januzaj coming on the last game but u reckon they are both playing better than fellaini now.

Im honestly begining to think you are on the greatest windup of all time. In fact I hope you are I'd actually applaud the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Headshot wrote: »
    Jebus kryogen wtf are you thinking

How can I go on without you?

Another good one down :(

Mars Bar wrote: »

Just in the last 20 minutes too. Damn shame.

Mars Bar wrote: »

Was he not just posting 5 minutes ago or am I seeing things.

Well that is **** - Kryogen closing his account.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement