Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    Only 5'5 as well hard as nails and technically excellent, 22 years of age, perfect for us.

Why does his height matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

One match with 2 teams doesn't determine 40 other teams quality.

You were saying recently how much you would love him as manager and that was te clubs biggest mistake. Some spoofer

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Only 5'5 as well hard as nails and technically excellent, 22 years of age, perfect for us.

PSG only got the goal after he went off.. but the skill to set up Cavani's chance that hit the post was sick. Scholes-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Veratti would probably cost the same as Vidal, both would probably mean the end for Herrera too

Personally would take Vidal, his presence in midfield would do us wonders even if it would only last 4 or 5 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

If you're the UTD manager and a big move is sanctioned do you go for Veratti Vidal or Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Schwiiing wrote: »
    If you're the UTD manager and a big move is sanctioned do you go for Veratti Vidal or Pogba?

Put those hands together.

The correct answer is all three. :p

Pro. F wrote: »
    To all the posters who say they would love to sign Verratti, who would you want him to replace in the first team?

I like Herrera, but would swap him in a heartbeat.

IMO the Vidal ship has sailed, not the same player anymore.

Pogba first then veratti

What?

Was it you or someone else who kept going on about how the biggest mistake the club made was never signing mourinho???

It sounds like something you would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Shout out for Marquinhos to. Had a good game going up against Hazard.

• Advertisement

Was it you or someone else who kept going on about how the biggest mistake the club made was never signing mourinho???

It sounds like something you would say.

No not a chance, I detest the man, always have always will, no class, no respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

March 2014 rewind

Imagine if we bought Di Maria and Falcao.
    Man that be amazing. Would walk into our team
    I hope that wasn't directed at me, as I never imagined buying either of them and called Falcao on being a flop since day one, while everyone here was rejoicing at him replacing Welbeck.

My point still stands about PSG's players, they were man for man better footballers than Chelsea..that doesn't say much for Utd now does it? Pastore put in a better performance tonight than Di Maria has shown for Utd, likewise Veratti and Motta compared to any of our midfielders, who I don't think will ever be capable of such football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

user2011 wrote: »
    Shout out for Marquinhos to. Had a good game going up against Hazard.

Thought T. Silva had a great game too

No not a chance, I detest the man, always have always will, no class, no respect

Actually you're right. Soz bbz.

I would take him as manager though. There is different ways to win than playing flowery football

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Bayern playing some stuff at the minute. Maybe we could endure van gaal one more year then Fergie can schmooze Guardiola to take over the reigns,Ah one can dream!

Giruilla wrote: »
    Almost every ball he played was attacking. Played backwards only when there was nothing on. Tough tackling player too..
    Yeah, he was terrific. Played Fabregas off the park. It's great to see midfielders with the ability to ghost past players and play neat one twos (forwards not backwards) You wouldn't think that's a lot to ask for professional footballers but Utd's midfield can't seem to do it against premier league canon fodder. This guy was doing it in the champions league a man down at Stamford Bridge!

Actually you're right. Soz bbz.

I would take him as manager though. There is different ways to win than playing flowery football

He would have us the most hated club in the world, playing negative football and would do us no good long term. No thanks

Robson99 wrote: »
    He would have us the most hated club in the world, playing negative football and would do us no good long term. No thanks

Sounds exactly like us now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fellaini

Verratti is a great player but do you really think he'd score enough goals considering he'd be playing in a midfield three with Carrick/Blind and Herrera?
    Fellaini and then veratti can play midfield with carrick and mata can play no10

So bench Herrera. That would be a very expensive sub. Have you made your mind up already that Herrera isn't good enough to be a first teamer for United?
    Nolars wrote: »
    anybody who plays in central midfield.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Anybody. Take your pick. PSGs midfield pisses all over Uniteds. It just pissed all over Chelseas too. :p

Okay, so you two don't want to think about how to build a team.
    I like Herrera, but would swap him in a heartbeat.

PSG aren't going to be interested in a swap deal. Those things almost never come to pass.

Vidal. He's a player who would actually work well with beside Herrera. And the added bonus is that he's flexible enough to play three different roles at a high standard if needed - DM, box-to-box, ACM. The only issue is his knee injury, but he looks to be over that this season.

In the end though, Vidal would probably cost stupid money and I don't think it's a good idea to spend stupid money on any player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As opposed to Van Gaal who is reminiscent of Guardiola at Barcelona.

Thought T. Silva had a great game too

The best centre half in the world right now, animal

PSG aren't going to be interested in a swap deal. Those things almost never come to pass.

Didn't literally mean swap... sell him for 10k and buy Veratti for 40 mil for all I'd care!

Hated? The big boys don't even know Utd exist right now, nor do they care. Laughed at in England and a long way from Europe at present.

Ya the football is sh*te. But LVG wont damage us the way Mourhino would
    Blanc is a man I could see managing United some day though.

Verratti is a great player but do you really think he'd score enough goals considering he'd be playing in a midfield three with Carrick/Blind and Herrera?

So bench Herrera. That would be a very expensive sub. Have you made your mind up already that Herrera isn't good enough to be a first teamer for United?

Okay, so you two don't want to think about how to build a team.

Vidal. He's a player who would actually work well with beside Herrera. And the added bonus is that he's flexible enough to play three different roles at a high standard if needed - DM, box-to-box, ACM. The only issue is his knee injury, but he looks to be over that this season.

In the end though, Vidal would probably cost stupid money and I don't think it's a good idea to spend stupid money on any player.

Mata has been sub how long now and he cost 37m!

No don't need to drop Herrera can play carrick Herrera and veratti in the same team, or drop carrick veratti can play there and Herrera ahead of them

• Advertisement

A player costs what's a players cost. Cliche I know. But if the manager sees a player he wants that will fit into his game plan and will work in the team, and be one of the main me , and if the money men says it's fine, I don't see the problem with playing 60+ on these players.

Sunk cost fallacy.

K4t wrote: »
    Hated? The big boys don't even know Utd exist right now, nor do they care. Laughed at in England and a long way from Europe at present.

Ok sure.

Yes utd are the most hated team in te world. Always have and always will be. Look at all the media sensationalism and click bait. Do you see that for any other club?

Didn't literally mean swap... sell him for 10k and buy Veratti for 40 mil for all I'd care!

Well the club does have a limited amount of money to spend on transfers and wages so just casting aside players that are good enough because you've seen one that's better won't work. Or have you made your mind up already that Herrera isn't good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

These Depay rumors keep gathering traction.

What is the Superthreads opinion on him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Whats going on with ronaldo at madrid seems to be some stuff going on

Just thinking about it there, what United players would make that psg team tonight, probably only de gea and Rooney :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What the Superthreads opinion on him?

United need at least 2 wingers and that's if Nani comes back. Depay would be a good start on that.

Ok sure.
    Yes utd are the most hated team in te world. Always have and always will be. Look at all the media sensationalism and click bait. Do you see that for any other club?
    Ridiculous. Utd have the largest fanbase in the world and are not hated globally, only in England. Of course opposition fans are getting a laugh out of the continuing catastrophic fall from grace, but then who isn't? It doesn't mean Utd are hated, it merely shows how atrocious the last two seasons have been.

Just thinking about it there, what United players would make that psg team tonight, probably only de gea and Rooney :eek:
    Only Hazard and Courtois (maybe Terry too) would make that PSG team.

Mata has been sub how long now and he cost 37m!

I know, it's stupid isn't it? We've a fantastic number 10 who cost a shítload of money and he's being wasted.
    No don't need to drop Herrera can play carrick Herrera and veratti in the same team, or drop carrick veratti can play there and Herrera ahead of them

The first suggestion - Carrick, Herrera and Verratti in the same team - means Mata doesn't play, which you seem to agree would be a waste of money. It also means you would be needing Herrera and/or Verratti to become consistent goal scorers. That's a bit of a gamble considering their careers to date.

The second suggestion I don't understand. Who is Herrera playing ahead of if Carrick is dropped?

Ridiculous. Utd have the largest fanbase in the world and are not hated globally, only in England. Of course opposition fans are getting a laugh out of the continuing catastrophic fall from grace, but then who isn't? It doesn't mean Utd are hated, it merely shows how atrocious the last two seasons have been.

Yes the have the largest fan base. Also the large anyone but.... Fan base.

I get your point though. But success breeds hate.

Only Hazard and Courtois (maybe Terry too) would make that PSG team.

I would have ivanovic over marquinhos, azpelicueta over maxwell, fabregas over motta and probably costa over cavani, but as a team tonight psg dominated

I know, it's stupid isn't it? We've a fantastic number 10 who cost a shítload of money and he's being wasted.

The first suggestion - Carrick, Herrera and Verratti in the same team - means Mata doesn't play, which you seem to agree would be a waste of money. It also means you would be needing Herrera and/or Verratti to become consistent goal scorers. That's a bit of a gamble considering their careers to date.

The second suggestion I don't understand. Who is Herrera playing ahead of if Carrick is dropped?

Sorry veratti would be playing in carricks position, Herrera just ahead of him, with di Maria beside him, mata in the no10

Yes the have the largest fan base. Also the large anyone but.... Fan base.

I get your point though. But success breeds hate.
    I don't think the 'large anyone but' extends outside of England. Another year without champions league football and people will start forgetting about Utd, no matter how many Galacticos they sign. As you said yourself, success breeds hate. But you cannot win if you do not play.

• Advertisement

Sunk cost fallacy.

The sunk cost fallacy would only apply if I was arguing that Herrera isn't good enough for the United first team but that he should start anyway because of what he cost.

What I'm actually arguing is that even though Verratti is a better player, Herrera is good enough and so we'd be better off spending our limited budget on positions in the team where our players aren't good enough. For example the DM, wing and possibly right-back and centre-back.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    The sunk cost fallacy would only apply if I was arguing that Herrera isn't good enough for the United first team but that he should start anyway because of what he cost.

What I'm actually arguing is that even though Verratti is a better player, Herrera is good enough and so we'd be better off spending our limited budget on positions in the team where our players aren't good enough. For example the DM, wing and possibly right-back and centre-back.

Side note here: I would love if we bought a top DM, but absolutely no point in buying one if LVG sticks with the current system IMO
    It looks like the system is dictating our style of play regardless of personel

Sorry veratti would be playing in carricks position, Herrera just ahead of him, with di Maria beside him, mata in the no10

I think you're overrating Verratti's defensive abilities. He might mature in that regard in time and he has all the attributes if he could be molded, but for the money he'd cost I'd want a player I was more certain could do the job required from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Depay would be a nice buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

....Vidal Carrick.......
    Nani Mata Di Maria
    ........Rooney........

Would be great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What is the Superthreads opinion on him?

Apparently he's favourited one of the Dutch newspaper articles on twitter saying United are going to sign him, £21m apparently.

I would be very excited by that signing. If Van Gaal wants to play his 4-3-3 we can play Rooney as a striker full time, have all of Di Maria, Depay, Nani, and Januzaj competing for two winger positions, play Mata as the attacking midfielder ala Sneijder in the World Cup, buy a box to box midfielder or hope Herrera bulks up, then play Carrick at the defensive position. It could be fantastic.

De Gea
    Rafael-Signing-Rojo-Shaw
    Carrick
    Signing
    Mata
    Di Maria
    Depay
    Rooney

Oh my. #fullmuppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Apparently he's favourited one of the Dutch newspaper articles on twitter saying United are going to sign him, £21m apparently.

I would be very excited by that signing. If Van Gaal wants to play his 4-3-3 we can play Rooney as a striker full time, have all of Di Maria, Depay, Nani, and Januzaj competing for two winger positions, play Mata as the attacking midfielder ala Sneijder in the World Cup, buy a box to box midfielder or hope Herrera bulks up, then play Carrick at the defensive position. It could be fantastic.

De Gea
    Rafael-Signing-Rojo-Shaw
    Carrick
    Signing
    Mata
    Di Maria
    Depay
    Rooney

Oh my. #fullmuppet

Given LVG has basically ignored Rafa, mata and shaw to a degree what makes you think he'll change his opinions on them?!? Swap to Valencia, young and fellani and it's less impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Given LVG has basically ignored Rafa, mata and shaw to a degree what makes you think he'll change his opinions on them?!? Swap to Valencia, young and fellani and it's less impressive.

The same blind hope that forces me to tune in every single week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Verrati for Di Maria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think you're overrating Verratti's defensive abilities. He might mature in that regard in time and he has all the attributes if he could be molded, but for the money he'd cost I'd want a player I was more certain could do the job required from day one.

Actually if we can sign Verratti (no way any team will be signing him) then we are set for a decade in midfield. Apart from his scholesesque moments he is very good defensively. The way he controlled the games vs Chelsea was great, even better when he is just 22.

He can easily play in place of Carrick and Blind and would be our best midfielder without a doubt.

I would love to see Verratti - Herrera - Fellaini/Schneiderlin. Need Schneiderlin to add some physical presence though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement