Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hazard, Sanchez and Silva are the 3 standout attacking midfielders of the EPL

How far away is Di Maria from these guys when he's on top of this game?
    The three aforementioned players have the ability and mentality to be the focal points of their respective teams, while it's not clear whether Di Maria does yet. It also helps that they play for better teams, and teams who play much better football than Utd. That's the really worrying thing for me, and especially after watching Chelsea be schooled by a 10 man PSG the other night, how far Utd have fallen in terms of playing style. Back to Di Maria, as I said before, he is what economists would call a multiplier effect, in that he will make a great team that bit better, but I don't think he has it in him to drag a club like Utd back to glory by himself, in the same way Hazard, Silva and Sanchez probably wouldn't be able to do either. Also, he has disappeared too often in games and seems to always suffer from being played out of position, which shouldn't really matter with a £60m player (provided he's not played in goal).

Basically, Di Maria it is clear was never going to do a Ronaldo or Messi for us, and the reason I think he hasn't even reached the standard set by Hazard and Sanchez, is simply because the foundations at Utd are not as good as those at Chelsea or Arsenal, along with the fact that the style of football has been horrific for the most part, and no better than a lot of what went on during Moyes' reign. Perhaps when Van Gaal's philosophy beings to be properly implemented by the players, we will see Di Maria show his ability, but that probably won't happen until next season now unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why on earth would Madrid want Di Maria? Should we also try to sell Mata to Chelsea?

Or Rooney to Everto... No wait. I'm not good at this game. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Or Rooney to Everto... No wait. I'm not good at this game. :(

Or de gea to Madrid.

Wait. This is confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

di maria was too ugly for madrid thats why he was sold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What did LvG say today in his press conf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Van Gaal recognises Tottenham as a team that likes to play "good football." He continues: "They have a lot of talent because when you see the selection, you see a lot of youngsters playing and a lot of older players with experience who are not. That’s also nice to see, the process of another club. I have to say they are playing well and I hope we can beat them - it shall be very difficult again."

United face two of the teams battling for a top four spot in the next games, but van Gaal insists every one of the 10 matches left is vital: "Every game is very important because they each have an influence on the next game. The game against Arsenal has an influence on the match against Tottenham. We have to keep the fighting spirit and we have to be more effective in finishing our chances."

On Rafael, the United boss added: "Rafa played a very good match and scored a wonderful goal and because of that he can grip again his confidence."

In his press conference, van Gaal was asked about his decision to play Radamel Falcao in the U21s match against Spurs on Tuesday night. He said: "I have read in a lot of papers that it is a humiliation, I don't think so. It's a professional attitude of the management and the club but especially also for the player. Not only has Falcao played but also Valdes and Rafa Da Silva."

During his MUTV interview, van Gaal praised the reaction of his players to Monday's FA Cup defeat. "They've reacted fantastically in the training sessions. I cannot speak more highly about the professional attitude of my players. They are willing to do everything."

Stolen from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

without a shadow of a doubt 50m and di maria for bale

At this point in time you be off your rocket. Now maybe I'm in a minority but you want to Get rid of a player most clubs would love to have bought last summer and on top of that splash 50 million on a guy who has not done what the player we are selling has done?

I don't want to have a go shadowcomplex you're good egg but Jesus man I think you need to think about that.

I mean I know we throw money around but replacing Di Maria for Bale plus 50million is off the scale.

Well for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Bale's confidence looked shot the other .... We have enough players In the same boat! Do we need another?

The team is crying out for a commanding midfielder and central midfielder (with experience)

Those 2 priorities and hanging onto Dave have to be our main priorities!

Bale is a luxury signing with risks ...
    Oh need a striker too

**** this priority list is getting longer ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.manutd.com/en/News%20And%20Features/Club%20News/2015/Mar/MUTV%20screens%20exclusive%20programmes%20as%20part%20of%20Irish%20Week%20to%20celebrate%20st%20patricks%20day.aspx
    To mark St Patrick’s Day on 17 March, MUTV is celebrating United’s proud Irish links with over a week of exclusive programming dedicated to the many Reds representatives from across the Irish Sea.
    It all kicks off on Saturday 14 March, when the club channel tells the story of Norman Whiteside in Fearless. Having burst onto the scene as a precocious 17-year-old, Norman had his career cut short by injury. His story is told in this thought-provoking documentary, and 'Big Norm' sits down the following day to reveal United’s ultimate Irish XI in Green Devils, hosted by comedian Simon Delaney.
    On St Patrick’s Day, MUTV celebrates in style with The Paddy Crerand Show live from Old Trafford’s Red Cafe. Joining Paddy are special guests Denis Irwin, Whiteside and Sammy McIlroy, who will take questions from a live studio audience. Join in the debate on the night by tweeting #MUTVIrishWeek.
    Other highlights to look out for include the Paddy Meets… series, as the 1968 European Cup winner talks exclusively to Jonny Evans, Paul McGrath and Bertie Ahern about their love for United, plus there are fascinating stories from the careers of Roy Carroll and Keith Gillespie in When The Floodlights Fade, as they speak honestly about life after United.
    If you already subscribe to MUTV, head to Sky channel 418, Virgin Media channel 528 or UPC Cable channel 428. If you’re not a subscriber, use the links on the right to make sure you don’t miss all the exclusive programmes as part of Irish Week.

Thats good, but...Bertie Ahern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bangkok wrote: »
    di maria was too ugly for madrid thats why he was sold :)

Yet they bought Modric!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think it was Xabi Alonso who said that him and Di Maria left for the same reason, both under appreciated for the big role they played

Madrid have really struggled in the middle of the park this season, Modric on his own at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Noticed Zaha scored and assisted there. If only United had a player who could do that from the wing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Liam O wrote: »
    Noticed Zaha scored and assisted there. If only United had a player who could do that from the wing.

Di Maria assisted from the wing in the last game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This is cool.

First ever live footage of United in action, from 1902!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Awful lot of hoofball going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Awful lot of hoofball going on there.

I think that's referred to as a "Philosophy" these days! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mike Keegan on twitter saying we've agreed deals for 3 players already. I really hope one is Depay.

I think that's referred to as a "Philosophy" these days! :p

I'm not aware of too many things
    I know what I know, if you know what I mean
    PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mike Keegan on twitter saying we've agreed deals for 3 players already. I really hope one is Depay.

Ronaldo, Messi and Scholes :P

I really hope one is Depay.

Usually I would scold you for aiming so low but he is probably the best Utd can hope for.

• Advertisement

Usually I would scold you for aiming so low but he is probably the best Utd can hope for.

Ya I cant remember the last time we signed someone who was considered world class at the time or one of the best players from another premiership club. Nope just cant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

is he the new 'in the know' utd journalist. I've lost trust of jackson and ogden over the past couple of weeks/months.

Who are the best journos who know what there talking about and have credible sources.

is he the new 'in the know' utd journalist. I've lost trust of jackson and ogden over the past couple of weeks/months.

Who are the best journos who know what there talking about and have credible sources.

Instagram seems fairly solid these days, for United anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

A win tomorrow would be massive, city currently losing to Burnley. We HAVE to win, no excuses.

Be some craic if it was city who finished outside the top 4... have some tough games and looked bit flat recently.. never happen but would be funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

A win tommorow would be amazing.... Although I have a nasty feeling Hary kane will cause us huge problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Tomorrow will be a close one to call. A win and hopefully Swansea can do us a favour against Liverpool would be brilliant. City will start to worry with that loss. They could easily be sucked into this top 4 battle now.

Ya I cant remember the last time we signed someone who was considered world class at the time or one of the best players from another premiership club. Nope just cant remember.

Chelsea and Real sold because Mata and Di Maria are past their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ha. Good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Now that's some high quality bull shíte

Di Maria at 27 makes a world cup final and fifa world 11 whilst past it

Lukekul wrote: »
    Now that's some high quality bull shíte

Di Maria at 27 makes a world cup final and fifa world 11 whilst past it

Ok, the DM point was a bit harsh (still think Real saw something to let him go) but I stand by my Mata point. He has contributed nothing to Utd since he came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Ok, the DM point was a bit harsh (still think Real saw something to let him go) but I stand by my Mata point. He has contributed nothing to Utd since he came.

Bro, read some stats would you. A lot of people assume that if a player isn't starting in the weekly line up, then he isn't good enough and start saying things like 'oh he's past his best.'

Mata is quality, but doesn't suit LVGs play style and i won't be suprised if he is sold this summer

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be a close one to call. A win and hopefully Swansea can do us a favour against Liverpool would be brilliant. City will start to worry with that loss. They could easily be sucked into this top 4 battle now.

Arsenal only a point off them, we'll be 2 if we beat Spurs and Liverpool will be 4 with a win at Swansea. Think they've been dragged back in, love to see them miss out. They're due a beating at OT too.

Arsenal only a point off them, we'll be 2 if we beat Spurs and Liverpool will be 4 with a win at Swansea. Think they've been dragged back in, love to see them miss out. They're due a beating at OT too.

Awh the dream and spurs to get 4th obv :D

your origional point was we could only attract players of no better quality then Depay which is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Is that why Real sold Sneidjier and both clubs sold Robben? I guess both players didn't do much after leaving? Oh wait

The reason Mata hasn't done as well for United is because he needs fast players ahead of him

For example , Mata as a number 10 behind Rooney with very fast attackers like robben, bale or A sanchez would be unreal , Mata has suffered because when hes played as number 10 he has falcoa and rvp ahead of him, they are too slow, these type of forwards rely more on wingers that cross it into the box as opposed balls threaded in

Mourinho didn't sell Mata because hes past it, he sold him because he wasn't a grafter

• Advertisement

your origional point was we could only attract players of no better quality then Depay which is nonsense

I meant if there's 2 successive seasons of no CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

A win tomorrow would be massive, city currently losing to Burnley. We HAVE to win, no excuses.

Winning tomorrow puts us just two points off 2nd and six points ahead of Spurs. With the run we have coming up I think that win would mean so much.

Those dropped points earlier in the season... goddamn.

A win tomorrow will see us still well in the running for anything up to 2nd. Pellegrini has to be gone in May, shame that will be. Anywhere in the Top 4 is the target for us this season, but really City have gifted Arsenal, United and even Liverpool a shot at 2nd. Arsenal are the clear favourites to usurp them, having bagged their 3 points today but hopefully we can get the result tomorrow to keep up with the Top 3.

This is it, the 'business end' of the season, 'squeaky bum time'. LVG's United have been coasting since early January and luckily that turned out to be just alright and got us to where we are now. I mean that in a positive way, 'where we are now' is having 3rd-4th in our own hands with 10 games to go. But from now on, 'just alright' is not going to be enough to see out the season and a shift-up in gears is needed from tomorrow on. United are going into this game on the back of 2 league wins, but the FA Cup defeat to Arsenal earlier in the week no doubt gave that momentum a kick in the bollix.

It can't be overstated just how kind a run of games United had over the last 2 months, I think it will be only fully realised if Top 4 is missed and the season is looked upon as a whole. Also, those opening 6 games of the season were a mess where absolutely silly points were dropped.

So all that makes 3 points of the highest importance tomorrow, and pretty much every game for the remainder of the season. I reckon it will take 24 or 25 from 30 points available to secure at least 4th. Of course United have to go and do it the hard way but as I've said before it is still within their own hands. These games against Spurs and Liverpool will be a sign of whether this United team can give it a real shot and just how strong the team spirit is or isn't. I would be expecting them to come out firing tomorrow, but unfortunately won't be betting on it.

Heart says 2-1 United win, head says 0-0 or 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nothing except blind faith has me believing in a United win tomorrow.

I expect 90 minutes of frustration, and a result if we're lucky. Shocking that I actually have that opinion....

Think tomorrows line up will be a true indicator whether Mata has a future or not, I personally think he'll be sold in the summer, which is a shame, but if Januzaj, Fellaini and Young are the 3 behind Rooney tomorrow, reckon thats the final nail in his coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Kane must be given special attention tomorrow. Hopefully our defense can handle him.

L9GCGq2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Kane must be given special attention tomorrow. Hopefully our defense can handle him.

L9GCGq2.png

Seen that during the week. Not sure how relevant it is in fairness given that Rooney was in midfield for a lot of those games and Falcao just hasn't delivered. Agreed about Kane though, he most definitely needs special attention.

mewe wrote: »
    Seen that during the week. Not sure how relevant it is in fairness given that Rooney was in midfield for a lot of those games and Falcao just hasn't delivered. Agreed about Kane though, he most definitely needs special attention.

Its nonsense tbh... well showing it the way thwy have is... we have to watch kane as much as any striker with his goal rate. not cause he is the reincarnation of falcao, rooney n rvp.... grrr ****ing sky and their nonsenical bull****

we have a goal more scored than spurs this season and 13 less conceeded now thats something that might matter when discussing the game but they compare him to our 3 strikers one of who played many games in midfieed as u said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I find it strange that we are constantly being linked with Danny Ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Headshot wrote: »

Good player...I'd spend on him before falcao :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

What do we think the chances of De Gea still being at the club next season are everytime I pick up a paper there is another story about him going to Real Madrid. Starting to get worried it's going to happen

Headshot wrote: »

I think its a no brainer once he doesnt effect any other transfer, have him 4th or we could loan him out for another year, if he doesnt work out sell him. Shot to nothing really. Not sure he'd be agreeable to that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

collie0708 wrote: »
    What do we think the chances of De Gea still being at the club next season are everytime I pick up a paper there is another story about him going to Real Madrid. Starting to get worried it's going to happen

I still think it is goingbdue to happen tbh. Whether he is tied to a contract or not the likelihood is he will be a real player in the next two seasons

Ings would be an upgrade on Wilson.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement