Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Just saw Evans video, for me there is no doubt that he tried to spit on Cisse or even spit intentionally next to him. He is guilty and should be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He is guilty and should be charged.

:rolleyes:

Verdict first, trial later, it's like Alice in Wonderland in here.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So from that can we take it that you think he is 100% innocent?

I really can't see how anyone can defend him tbh.

Hopefully the squad don't turn up for the Arsenal game wearing t-shirts with Johnnys face emblazoned on them.

Justice for Johnny.

#J4J

:pac:

PC Brigade?

I'm not on the panel or attend his trial, from the video it looks clear cut that he tried to spit on Cisse. I'm giving my opinion on it.

So from that can we take it that you think he is 100% innocent?

I really can't see how anyone can defend him tbh.

Hopefully the squad don't turn up for the Arsenal game wearing t-shirts with Johnnys face emblazoned on them.

Justice for Johnny.

#J4J

:pac:

It looks so clear cut, hope ManUtd fans don't defend their players blindly like certain club fans did in past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Al Capwned wrote: »
    His denial of the thing too just makes it worse imo. Cisse comes out of the whole thing a lot better as he's apologised.

It only makes it worse if you have already decided he was guilty, but if Evans knows that he didn't intentionally go to spit on Cisse then why would he apologise? Without doubt the PR goons at the club will have advised the same statement as Cisse put out, full of heartfelt remorse and 'please don't ban me' rhetoric, but if Evans genuinely feels he didn't do it then I'm glad he is prepared to say so.

As you might guess, I'm another that doesn't believe he intentionally spat on Cisse. Not much point debating it though, he has already been trialed by the general public and will get a ban whether he meant it or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hmmmm. I have a feeling that Man Utd - Liverpool match might fill it up on its own :pax:

Oh God. Depending on the FA Cup, this thread could see two of those.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Oh God. Depending on the FA Cup, this thread could see two of those.... :(

All leave to be cancelled for the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't get the love for LVG's treatment of the press or his persona in general. For me he is more pompous and overbearing than charismatic and entertaining. That press conference was just more of the same.

Not that this particularly matters. He'll be judged on how the team performs, what they win and how he manages his budgets.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't get the love for LVG's treatment of the press or his persona in general. For me he is more pompous and overbearing than charismatic and entertaining. That press conference was just more of the same.

Not that this particularly matters. He'll be judged on how the team performs, what they win and how he manages his budgets.

I would replace charismatic with hilarious.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pro. F wrote: »

Probably because the English footballing press are generally absolutely atrocious at reporting on football, and more interested in creating drama or turning the game into a soap opera. I find it refreshing to see him treat them with the contempt they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I also think the media and rival fans have been shooting prematurely as they continue to forget two crucial points;
    1st: Target was CL, and we are in the CL spots
    2nd: The season isn't even finished yet

Did the club announce that their target was simply champions League? LVG said at the start of the season his aim was to win the league and he thought it was possible to win it with the players he had.

Think he underestimated the premier league, especially the so called weaker teams. This season has been a eye opener for him and I hope he takes this on board if he remains in the job next season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Did the club announce that their target was simply champions League? LVG said at the start of the season his aim was to win the league and he thought it was possible to win it with the players he had.

Think he underestimated the premier league, especially the so called weaker teams. This season has been a eye opener for him and I hope he takes this on board if he remains in the job next season.

AFAIK it's stated in the club accounts that a 3rd place finish and a cup quarter final is the target every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Probably because the English footballing press are generally absolutely atrocious at reporting on football, and more interested in creating drama or turning the game into a soap opera. I find it refreshing to see him treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Totally agree with this. Gutter stuff from the supposed journalists.

One that stands out was after the Liverpool v Chelsea game; the media were more interesting in asking Jose about his dislike of a certain "Sky Sports pundit" than the match.
    A lot of people dislike Jose, but if they're going to ask stupid questions, there's 3 approaches
    Take the p*ss like Jose does
    Tell them they're stupid like LVG does
    Actually give them the time of day.

1 or 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I can't remember a more entertaining manager in press conferences then LVG.

They way he went from jovial and trying to be funny at the start of that video to switching to outright hostility is both hilarious and terrifying. Its almost sociopathic behaviour the way he can go from nice to nasty in seconds but LVG does have a reputation for being an ego-maniac. I'd hate to be a journo in that situation.

I'm not saying this is the right way to conduct a press conference by any means but LVG is a strange and unique character with unbelievably high amounts of self belief but stubborn and aggressive in other ways.

One things for sure, its bloody entertaining to watch.

If another manager gave that press conference the words "cracking up" and "under pressure" would be heard everywhere today.

He treats all journalists with contempt, whether they do good work or bad. I find it obnoxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He treats all journalists with contempt, whether they do good work or bad. I find it obnoxious.

I can see why you do, but I don't. Probably because I'm a horrible person and he treats them more or less exactly how I imagine I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What a load of bull 90 percent of journalists in England would prefer to glorify a headline sooner then to report the truth. For god sake they turn the fans against their own players enduring the world cup. They had Rooney under pressure to score before the tournament even kicked off. I'm not saying that Rooney read the press but if he was the type that got effected by it well they weren't gonna help.
    Lvg is giving the press stick because they are writing bull stories firstly they said he had fallen out with de gea then they said that the whole team was afraid of him and he was a cold dictator and then they said he had fallen out with giggs. All you had to do was look at,then end of the Newcastle game to see the relationship he has with his players and it all looked good to me.
    My own personal opinion on the giggs scenario is that giggs had suggested something like take young off and try someone else there and lvg left him on and in the end he was proven right so he had a bit of a "I told you so" moment with giggs.
    The amount of crap the press write about players and managers they deserve all they get.

• Advertisement

• Tyson Fury wrote: »

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/10/ed-woodward-reveals-manchester-united-are-targeting-third-place-finish-4863764/

• Wow now SSN lead the headline as "LVG denies rift with Giggs"

English media is toxic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If another manager gave that press conference the words "cracking up" and "under pressure" would be heard everywhere today.

The difference is that LVG has done this through his career whether he is winning or losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I agree he does but with good reason, most of them ask the same silly questions on a daily basis, I'm sure its pretty frustrating. I'm sure if he was asked some decent questions he would happily engage on a tactical / philosophical level......ZA PHILOSOPHY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Wow now SSN lead the headline as "LVG denies rift with Giggs"

English media is toxic

Trying to create a suggestion that there is a rift.

They know how to spin a story though

They're budgeting for a minimum third place finish but I'd be worried if the club didn't aim to challenge for the title every year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    What a load of bull 90 percent of journalists in England would prefer to glorify a headline sooner then to report the truth. For god sake they turn the fans against their own players enduring the world cup. They had Rooney under pressure to score before the tournament even kicked off. I'm not saying that Rooney read the press but if he was the type that got effected by it well they weren't gonna help.
    Lvg is giving the press stick because they are writing bull stories firstly they said he had fallen out with de gea then they said that the whole team was afraid of him and he was a cold dictator and then they said he had fallen out with giggs. All you had to do was look at,then end of the Newcastle game to see the relationship he has with his players and it all looked good to me.
    My own personal opinion on the giggs scenario is that giggs had suggested something like take young off and try someone else there and lvg left him on and in the end he was proven right so he had a bit of a "I told you so" moment with giggs.
    The amount of crap the press write about players and managers they deserve all they get.

Do you deny that there are good journalists?
    I agree he does but with good reason, most of them ask the same silly questions on a daily basis, I'm sure its pretty frustrating. I'm sure if he was asked some decent questions he would happily engage on a tactical / philosophical level......ZA PHILOSOPHY

I've yet to see him engage in any conversation in a polite and useful way, regardless of the quality of the journalist or the question asked. Maybe he has, I'd be interested in seeing a link if anybody has one.

They're budgeting for a minimum third place finish but I'd be worried if the club didn't aim to challenge for the title every year.
    Of course they are aiming!!

They are budgeting, taking in all risk analysis and what not and making a decision. You don't budget on things that might happen, you budget on what's the most realistic. Budget on the worst case scenario

I've yet to see him engage in any conversation in a polite and useful way, regardless of the quality of the journalist or the question asked. Maybe he has, I'd be interested in seeing a link if anybody has one.

He did. not in press conferences but in Interviews. There was one on FIFA site where he answered questions on his philosophy and how he choose players. Also there was one interview with Gary Neville where he was very calm.

Of course they are aiming!!

They are budgeting, taking in all risk analysis and what not and making a decision. You don't budget on things that might happen, you budget on what's the most realistic. Budget on the worst case scenario

Aye but what annoys me is people saying everything is rosey in the garden because the aim was top 4 and we're in 4th.

Like ****, Fergie never once aimed for top 4, the aim should be to compete for and win the title. Nothing less. Especially after spending a fortune on players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

People need to remember this article from the summer.

It's pretty spot on to what we've seen from LVG.

• Advertisement

Sure what is a good journalist? Certainly not one from the tabloids like the daily mail anyway. I can not remember one good story I have read from any of them papers in a long time most of the stories are made up garbage or copied from another news source.
    A good journalist reports on a game or team without twisting the story or adding to it and the English press do both of them things daily.
    Before lvg got the job with united everyone reported that he is harsh and straight to the point with his press conference and that is what we get but he is fair when he is asked an intelligent question.
    I for one am happy with how he is doing off the filed I think he is fairly calm now on the field is a different matter we have lots to work on.

Aye but what annoys me is people saying everything is rosey in the garden because the aim was top 4 and we're in 4th.

Like ****, Fergie never once aimed for top 4, the aim should be to compete for and win the title. Nothing less. Especially after spending a fortune on players.

There's a difference between challenging every year from a position of strength and coming from 7th. If we finish in the top 4 this year, then you can guarantee that the number one target next season will be winning the league.

Yeah. Team expectations.

Not financial responsibilities.

They can estimate what they can expect to take in finishing 3/4th which is the most realistic.

It would be stupid to base financial budgets off finishing first.

Why am I explaining this to you.

Apropos of nothing I hate this type of reasoning. If Giggs was right to suggest Young be taken off then he was still right to suggest it even if Young subsequently gets gifted a goal by Krul. The only way "I told you so" is applicable is if LVG knew Young staying on would force Krul into the mistake, and that wasn't the case.

Its results-orientated thinking, a mindset that blinds you to making correct decision long term. Falcao against Sunderland is another example. Done nothing all game and deserved his impending substitution, the fact that he got bundled over in the box didn't suddenly make the rest of his performance any better.

v3ttel wrote: »
    The difference is that LVG has done this through his career whether he is winning or losing.

Thats certainly the narrative.

Yes true but people were also calling for fergies head before the 90s before he started to win things and also people were calling for his head in the mid 00s when he was rebuilding the team when likes of Chelsea came on scene and Arsenal had the invincible team they said he should of retired when he was supposed to, I know things are far from roses but things with fergie were not always roses and this season is far from over. A couple months ago Liverpool were playing terrible and their fans were calling for roggers to be sacked bow look where they are. Even if we end up struggling to make 4th a few months in football over summer and lvg could have the team totally turned around.

Apropos of nothing I hate this type of reasoning. If Giggs was right to suggest Young be taken off then he was still right to suggest it even if Young subsequently gets gifted a goal by Krul. The only way "I told you so" is applicable is if LVG knew Young staying on would force Krul into the mistake, and that wasn't the case.

Its results-orientated thinking, a mindset that blinds you to making correct decision long term. Falcao against Sunderland is another example. Done nothing all game and deserved his impending substitution, the fact that he got bundled over in the box didn't suddenly make the rest of his performance any better.

God damn I'm not saying if his reasoning is right or wrong I'm just pointing out that in my opinion that could of been what the moment that giggs and lvg had and it was all blown up lol. And as it turned out in the end young was in the right place at the right time to make the right finish to score a right good goal to win a game after a rightfully awful performance from the team :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

When will we find out the length of Evans ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

xtal191 wrote: »
    When will we find out the length of Evans ban?

He contested the charge and wil prob have a personal hearing and have to be found guilty before any ban is given

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He did. not in press conferences but in Interviews. There was one on FIFA site where he answered questions on his philosophy and how he choose players. Also there was one interview with Gary Neville where he was very calm.

He may have been calm in the interview with Neville, but he was also confrontational, trying to dominate him. That Neville interview was written up with plenty of direct quotes, so you could see how the conversation went. Is this the FIFA interview? That seems more like a written interview, and possibly with LVG getting to chose the questions, so we don't get to see what his natural interaction with the journalist is like.

• Advertisement

Sure what is a good journalist? Certainly not one from the tabloids like the daily mail anyway. I can not remember one good story I have read from any of them papers in a long time most of the stories are made up garbage or copied from another news source.
    A good journalist reports on a game or team without twisting the story or adding to it and the English press do both of them things daily.

You've answered your own question there. Now, do you deny that there are good journalists?

Before lvg got the job with united everyone reported that he is harsh and straight to the point with his press conference and that is what we get but he is fair when he is asked an intelligent question.
    I for one am happy with how he is doing off the filed I think he is fairly calm now on the field is a different matter we have lots to work on.

That is just not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Spitting is a sign of friendship from where Jonny comes from

#justiceforjonny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I know they do segments on dealing with the media in the UEFA A and Pro License but I wonder is that graded?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I know they do segments on dealing with the media in the UEFA A and Pro License but I wonder is that graded?

Does LVG have the licenses or is he around long enough to be excused like Fergie was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's simply not true, as been discussed numerous times on various podcasts that contain the UK press.

He has no time for the dramatics they try to create. He has a firm belief that the press journalists are to be a conduit for him to communicate with the fans. He has always held that belief.

He get's frustrated, as do I, as do a lot of people, when the press pack completely forget their actual role, and instead divert off to try create dramatic headlines and get "the dirt", without even discussing things that are football related.

He has three media obligations both in pre match and post match. Video media, written media, MUTV.

I think it's cherry picking to say he is obnoxious to everyone. He won't have the time of day for people trying to snatch some gossip or create a drama, and rightly so. He has ALL the time for questions that are based around the game past, game ahead or the squad (within reason).

I watched the extended interview there. ONE question about the upcoming tie, where the journalist pre-fixed it with "history between the teams", in relation to the United tie. There doesn't seem anyone in that press pack confident enough in themselves to even raise a tactical question to him, so they skirt around asking garbage.

The British press will eventually learn. They are MILES behind other press packs and leagues when it comes to football coverage. Sure everyone has a little dig for the dirt here and there, but I've never seen such concentrated collection of "football journalists" in press conferences, be so utterly abject at discussing the topc at hand.

There are plenty of REALLY good journalists in the UK football circus, and I think it's no co incidence that most of them now longer work in the press pack.

Maybe I'm just not journalist material(granted i did work as one for two years) I'd have quickly identified to really have him open up you need to talk about football, his football, and his team.
    You have mentioned previously that you have not been happy with the "balance" of your side. With the recent inclusion of Ander Herrera in the side, do you feel that helps balance the team in midfield, or are you still concerned?

Try to get some answers around what was the problem with the balance, get some comment on Herrera, and maybe an insight into the "mysterious philosophy".

Instead someone from the DailyMail will probably ask
    Ander Herrera has started in the last three of your games, can we take this as sign the midfielder won't be sold in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Does LVG have the licenses or is he around long enough to be excused like Fergie was?

I don't know actually. Can you imagine trying to get LVG to do a module on dealing with the media? :pac:

You've answered your own question there. Now, do you deny that there are good journalists?

That is just not true.

In my opinion I believe its true and I am happy with how he is with the media it is much better to look at then the usual boring cliche garbage coming from other managers. He says what he feels.

TheDoc wrote: »
    He has ALL the time for questions that are based around the game past, game ahead or the squad (within reason).

But this isn't true. As one example, he was asked before the Newcastle game the tactical reasoning for starting Felliani. Its a fair question and was completely relevant to the impending game, but of course got nothing but an abrupt snarky answer.

He is playing a foolish game in my opinion, any modern manager needs to play the public relations game. Fans will follow the press's lead in very many situations, if the media create an image of poor play from a bad manager many fans will start to believe it and then the pressure comes. If our performances continue as they are then eventually LVG is going to wish he had the press on his side, at least to some extent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But this isn't true. As one example, he was asked before the Newcastle game the tactical reasoning for starting Felliani. Its a fair question and was completely relevant to the impending game, but of course got nothing but an abrupt snarky answer

He never reveals anything regarding tactics before a game. The journalists know this yet still ask, that's why he's being snarky.

• Advertisement

I sure am glad the fans are in charge of how to run this business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement