Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also what the hell was up with Smalling?

Was like he wat he'd a Beckenbauer YouTube video on the bus in. He skinned Tottenham lads loads of times and started bursting forward.

NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE

GOOD TYPE OF MELTDOWN IN PROGRESS

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING

• Liam O wrote: »
    Di Maria is a very hard worker and better in every single way to Young. If people think he's somehow not the same as he always was I don't know what to say. United's wingers shouldn't be getting praised for defensive work over attacking work. Still 1 goal and 1 assist this season.

Your comparing chalk with cheese. Di maria is class and has world class ability but he needs defensive support to be effective imo

Ashley Young has shown that he has put pure honest effort into wearing the utd shirt. He was strong in attack and defence and has shown how committed to the cause he is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Loved that celebration :) .. get the fcuk in there!

26ADAA9900000578-2995989-image-a-103_1426443237965.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I know we are a bit obsessed with stats here but there is a lot more to playing soccer than assists and goals especially when you have so many other scorers and creaters

I am not using that as an overall judgement of the player. For the positions he gets into he should have way more but is simply not good enough to pick out a cross or make the right decision around the box. He's been the same player since moving to United and doesn't make a telling difference like you need your top wingers to produce. He's been given a lot of freedom in a system that actually suits his style of play but when push comes to shove I know who I want crossing balls in next week and even though it will be, it shouldn't be Ashley Young who's deficiencies are shown much more in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fellaini says the team were angry, not just with the Arsenal result but their want to be in the CL next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Best I've seen us play since our comeback in the champions league last year. It came at perfect time for us if we cant build on that performance and raise our game for Liverpool then something is wrong but I'm happy with it.
    Just dreaming here but if Swansea win and we beat Liverpool then we would be 8 points ahead of them now wouldn't that be the best week in a long time.

:)

Blind says every match is a final now, and he hopes this is the start of something nice.

• Liam O wrote: »
    I am not using that as an overall judgement of the player. For the positions he gets into he should have way more but is simply not good enough to pick out a cross or make the right decision around the box. He's been the same player since moving to United and doesn't make a telling difference like you need your top wingers to produce. He's been given a lot of freedom in a system that actually suits his style of play but when push comes to shove I know who I want crossing balls in next week and even though it will be, it shouldn't be Ashley Young who's deficiencies are shown much more in big games.

Your still basing your judgement on stats IMO

I am going to base my opinion on the here and now.

Di maria has delivered poor performances when it comes to crossing and corner kick taking for weeks now. And his defensive performances have also been poor.

This is all going on current form.

Ashley Young has been consistantly performing better than Di Maria for most of the season and this is why he deserves to play ahead of him if both positions are being contested

To note: Di Maria is world class, he is just having a bad patch

RobertKK wrote: »
    Blind says every match is a final now, and he hopes this is the start of something nice.

That's the way they need to think of it and as lvg said in the build up that gor usbto get champs league it would be our title this year.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your still basing your judgement on stats IMO

I am going to base my opinion on the here and now.

Di maria has delivered poor performances when it comes to crossing and corner kick taking for weeks now. And his defensive performances have also been poor.

This is all going on current form.

Ashley Young has been consistantly performing better than Di Maria all season and this is why he deserves to play ahead of him if both positions are being contested

Young linked up well with blind and fella I today Tha is worth more then anything di Maria needs to get his head right so its perfect time to have him on bench and be used as impact sub for trip to anfield.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I just hope LVG realises one thing from today and that's Rooney is an out and out striker and needs to play up top on his own which will mean its the bench for RVP

Don't get me wrong I still think RVP has a lot to offer but as back up to Rooney, either one can play but not both

This means we didn't ever need to get Falcao in and we surely wont be signing him on a permanent basis

If we get Di-Maria back on form and keep de gea I reckon we aren't very far from a title challenge next season

We definitely need a centre half that's comfortable on the ball and a new right back

A replacement for Carrick in 1 or 2 seasons will be needed also, Morgan Schneiderlin would be a perfect replacement because I don't think Blind is good enough, I can really see Herrera growing into a top class box to box central midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

jayo26 wrote: »
    Best I've seen us play since our comeback in the champions league last year. It came at perfect time for us if we cant build on that performance and raise our game for Liverpool then something is wrong but I'm happy with it.
    Just dreaming here but if Swansea win and we beat Liverpool then we would be 8 points ahead of them now wouldn't that be the best week in a long time.

:)

And then there away to Arsenal and we have Villa at home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anything post match from van gaal ? Can't see anything on the bbc.

Wasn't too pleased to be asked about Rooney's boxing incident :) ... not impressed at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's the way they need to think of it and as lvg said in the build up that gor usbto get champs league it would be our title this year.

Think LVG is trying to Temper expectations by saying that I reckon. With such a investment in recent windows windows and with Players like mata, di Maria , rvp and Rooney at your disposal , It would be an incredible failure on LVG part of he couldn't even get top four for a club the size of United.

Crazy 2nd place is only 2 points for yee now. Huge game tomorrow for Liverpool. I'm not confident of getting the 3 points at all. Having 5 point cushion going into the game vs Liverpool be a big boost for yee. Next week of football is going to huge.

He was asked about winning the title but said Chelsea are too far away with 8 point lead and a game in hand.
    But said Man City are now in the rat race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

He said it was a twisted world that waynes video would appear on a newspaper and when pressed on it said he would not answer the question.

Said we dominated the match except the first 5 mins.
    Liverpool is another big match versus a rical.

All the rest was they all have lovely bottoms type interview.

I think LVG is picking his words even carefully cause he is sick of them being twisted in the media, he was asked was in Fellainis best game but answered by saying he has been influencial in many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Today was the first time in a while we've played some good football, it was like the reins were released, there was some unpredictability and fluidity about our attacking instead of the structured predictable crap we've seen a lot of

The problem is we've left it late in the season, we'll need to be just as good as today and a bit more to beat Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Great first half from UTD.

2nd half says it all. A top team would have brought the goals back

• Advertisement

And then there away to Arsenal and we have Villa at home

Yh and we have city still to come at home and after this weekend I'm not as worried about them but been realistic its one good game in the right direction for us but it was coming I felt against arsenal tactically we were better but individual mistakes cost us and today we cut them out apart from jones trying his best to make de gea man of the match again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

very professional performance. Get the goals in the first half. Defend the lead in the second half. Its that simple :)

Today was the first time in a while we've played some good football, it was like the reins were released, there was some unpredictability and fluidity about our attacking instead of the structured predictable crap we've seen a lot of

The problem is we've left it late in the season, we'll need to be just as good as today and a bit more to beat Liverpool

Small bit pendatic but I think its more of it finally starting to come together than us leaing it late. Bit of a combination Of LVG figuring out his best team and tactics and players understanding what he wants from them.

On a side note Fellaini really is a great outlet for when teams press us high up the pitch, the fact we can play a long pass and have controll of the ball in the oppositions half with up to 5 of thier players outta the game is a strong weapon to have.

We played it around at the back in tight situations well when we were 3-0 up but I wouldnt have the same confidence in tighter games not at the moment anyways not sure how many heart in mouth moments jones gave me in the game but it was a few.

viper006 wrote: »
    Think LVG is trying to Temper expectations by saying that I reckon. With such a investment in recent windows windows and with Players like mata, di Maria , rvp and Rooney at your disposal , It would be an incredible failure on LVG part of he couldn't even get top four for a club the size of United.

Crazy 2nd place is only 2 points for yee now. Huge game tomorrow for Liverpool. I'm not confident of getting the 3 points at all. Having 5 point cushion going into the game vs Liverpool be a big boost for yee. Next week of football is going to huge.

Its ok to talk about investment but we ain't the only club to spend come on now pool spent massive and city invested big and Chelsea got lucky that psg lost there sense of player value and got rid of luiz for a crazy amount of money and have invested it really well. United needed to spend big to try catch up with Chelsea and city and they also spent big to stay ahead so yes we spent alot of money but taking all into consideration city should be way ahead of us but they ain't and so should Chelsea.
    But cant wait for next week now as I said last week form goes out the window its going to be a cracking game, my three brothers are pool fans they are all going over for it so hope we kick your ass haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

py2006 wrote: »
    Great first half from UTD.

2nd half says it all. A top team would have brought the goals back

Based on what?

The team kept Spurs at arms length and barely had to puff in the second staff, still made some chances. It's was a brilliant 90 minute performance...90 minutes.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Based on what?

The team kept Spurs at arms length and barely had to puff in the second staff, still made some chances. It's was a brilliant 90 minute performance...90 minutes.

Yep did the job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Funny how some people who seem to spend 24 hours a day on the thread disappear when there's nothing to be hysterical about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Didn't see the game did starting Mata make a difference or was it Carrick?

Didn't see the game did starting Mata make a difference or was it Carrick?
    Both were excellent - Carrick's pass for Fellani's goal was beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That was a nice surprise today to see the team playing with more pace,the early goal was just what was needed,confidence grew then for that moment on,

Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

At last a proper performance and while not the biggest fan of either Carrick or Fellani both were very good to day. We played with a much higher tempo and pressed them high up the pitch which was good to see.
    Hopefully LVG has now realised that Rooney is our best CF that Herrera should be starting every game.
    Also the back four were very good and are probably our most solid 4. Jones and Smalling just need game time together like any CH partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Liam O wrote: »
    Di Maria is a very hard worker and better in every single way to Young. If people think he's somehow not the same as he always was I don't know what to say. United's wingers shouldn't be getting praised for defensive work over attacking work. Still 1 goal and 1 assist this season.

Tell us the truth, did Young sleep with your missus or something?

That was a nice surprise today to see the team playing with more pace,the early goal was just what was needed,confidence grew then for that moment on,

Great result.
    Yeah first goal at Anfield next week will be crucial.. Liverpool score first and I think it could be a very long evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Tell us the truth, did Young sleep with your missus or something?

He caught a glimpse of him diving out of his bed as he entered the bedroom.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Didn't see the game, delighted to see the scoreline though.

Reports seem to be that it was a good performance, was it good all game or just in the first half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Reports seem to be that it was a good performance, was it good all game or just in the first half?

First half was the best 45 minutes United have played since Ferguson. The second half was solid and professional, but without the fireworks. All in all, very encouraging and also utterly bizarre that such a performance could come seemingly out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Quick mention for shadowcomplex's match thread. No frills and no nonsense, felt it played a part in the result! You definitely need to get on the Liverpool one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

United dominated the whole game. 3 shots on target in the first half resulted in three goals. Not much in the way of chances in the second half but never really spent any considerable time on the back foot either.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    United dominated the whole game. 3 shots on target in the first half resulted in three goals. Not much in the way of chances in the second half but never really spent any considerable time on the back foot either.

Kinda had a goal wrongly disallowed and rooney was very close to playing fellaini in only things that really come to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »

All part of being a winger I'm afraid, look at beckham, yes he got goals and assists, lots of them, but he got equal amount of praise for the amount of defensive work he put in. I don't like young, but credit where credit due, he was fantastic today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0315/687216-rooney-knocked-out-in-kitchen-sparring-session/

The last bit of it now appears to be hilarious :)

Rooney started boxing when he was in the youth team at Everton and revealed last November he would have considered taking the sport up professionally if he had not made it as a footballer.

'I would have tried it as a career," he said.

In 2008, Rooney said of the sport: "I've always loved watching boxing and I went boxing training for about three or four years when I was younger. It's a sport I've always been involved in.

"I was doing both boxing and football training at one stage when I was about 15. But Everton who I was with at the time, said I had to concentrate on one of them and I opted for football

He had a lucky escape so, we definitely would not have heard of Wayne Rooney the boxer with a glass jaw like that :) Sad to say though that we have had to witness Wayne Rooney the obnoxious footballer :(

Laughed at Rooney's celebration today, at least the lad has a sense of Humour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

First half was the best 45 minutes United have played since Ferguson. The second half was solid and professional, but without the fireworks. All in all, very encouraging and also utterly bizarre that such a performance could come seemingly out of nowhere.

I guess I wouldn't expect much from the second half if 3-0 up, just as long as it wasn't the disjointed type of 2nd half display as we got on Monday night?

Solid and professional, can't argue with that against a rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fcukin hell, next Sunday is going to be some game lads.

Im at a christening so will thankfully not be able to read what will no doubt be an absolute abortion of a match thread.

I dont expect Swansea to get a result tomorrow so its still win or bust vs the scouse but jaysus, if we can perform like we did today....

tumblr_lt6wpdp8S51qctwb3o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It has to be said, Smalling was absolutely immense today.

thelad95 wrote: »
    It has to be said, Smalling was absolutely immense today.
    Yeah I though he was very solid... Jones had a very nervy start again though.

Last April I placed a €10 each way bet on United to win the league.
    1/3 places 1,2 Man Utd @ 13/2

Top two still on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

What a first half from United :eek::D never expected that from us, Herrera and Fell were awesome with their pressing to get the ball back and attacking when we had it also Carrick when he has the space is clinical (won't get that next week).

For me, CM and LB next week has to be changed (to give us a chance) still expecting a loss next week even with the changes though but I think it won't be the be all and end all of the race for forth.

user2011 wrote: »
    What a first half from United :eek::D never expected that from us, Herrera and Fell were awesome with their pressing to get the ball back and attacking when we had it also Carrick when he has the space is clinical (won't get that next week).

For me, CM and LB next week has to be changed (to give us a chance) still expecting a loss next week even with the changes though but I think it won't be the be all and end all of the race for forth.
    Wouldn't agree at all .. No man deserves to be dropped after that today - why the fcuk would you change it now after the s.hite we have been playing up to this point??

Stick to the same starting lineup and change if required during the game next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah I though he was very solid... Jones had a very nervy start again though.

An awkward back pass to start his game granted, but throughout he put in some great tackles and hassled opponents.

To be fair everyone put in a great display today. Just what we needed. Now the big questions. Does Blind stay at left back? And will Di Maria be brought in against Liverpool?

Honestly I'd just send that team out again. Fellaini upfront was very impressive in the first half, he dropped deeper second halve but by then the job was done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement