Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Points collected over past 6 games

Chelsea 13/18
    Man City 10/18
    Arsenal 15/18
    United 13/18
    Liverpool 16/18

Past three games
    Chelsea 5/9
    City 3/9
    Arsenal 9/9
    United 9/9
    Liverpool 9/9

The chasers with better form than the top two. Man City need a win next week...

I would replace Jones next week with Rojo. We were lucky he hadn't to do much and he could have gotten us off to a terrible start, if De Gea was a keeper who wasn't good.
    Jones is a weak link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's was great. 3-0 even flattered Spurs a bit.

Spurs were awful today though and contributed to their own demise. They were especially weak on their right hand side.

Having said that, it was the tempo of the Utd performance that was the most pleasing, both with and without possession. Thought Fellaini had a field day against Spurs in the first half and created no end of problems for them and of course took his goal brilliantly.

Was great to see such a performance. Let's not get too excited. Spurs really did lie down and didn't put up much of a fight but it was the nature of the the performance(the tempo) that was the most pleasing.

Rooney was immense too. Really immense today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What I'd give for a Fellaini winner into the Kop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

First win over Spurs in 3 years. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liam O wrote: »
    He should be in for Young, who I suppose got it down to about 5 crosses to nobody today...

jesus would you drop that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

irishfeen wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree at all .. No man deserves to be dropped after that today - why the fcuk would you change it now after the s.hite we have been playing up to this point??

Stick to the same starting lineup and change if required during the game next week.

I didn't want to put CM in there for changing but I know how the Pool are going to go at us and that's with a lot of pressing. For me it's a toss up between Carrick and Blind for mid, LB it has to be a defender either Shaw or Rafa going on how we finished the game I'm taking it as Shaw is out and LvG was trying Rafa out there.

Blind will be to exposed if Sterling goes at him or anyone with pace with a team that can control the midfield and play balls in behind him he'll be exposed. I could run faster then Blind and I weigh a few more pounds then him :o. Only so many teams that Blind can play LB against and Liverpool for me is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to MOTD 2

Just started now

Also Rooney's celebration... Everyone around me was :pac:

Classic.

Rooney striker :D Rooney 10 :confused: anywhere else :(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What a difference Carrick makes to the team, great to have him back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What I'd give for a Fellaini winner into the Kop

or Falcao

or De Gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Keown is all triangles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Play like that against Liverpool next week and I reckon we'll win. Should be a tougher test than Spurs, but would fancy us against any side in the PL if we play like that. Win next week, and would heavily favour us to finish top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Keown is all triangles

It's a vicious triangle with that fella.

titan18 wrote: »
    Play like that against Liverpool next week and I reckon we'll win. Should be a tougher test than Spurs, but would fancy us against any side in the PL if we play like that. Win next week, and would heavily favour us to finish top 4.

Win vs Liverpool would be massive, absolutely massive. With City and Arsenal then to come to OT, we could nearly sneak 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Win vs Liverpool would be massive, absolutely massive. With City and Arsenal then to come to OT, we could nearly sneak 2nd.

The United players should be much less fatigued than the teams around them due to lack of games and rotation throughout the season so I would like to see them out work Liverpool like they did Spurs today. Spurs players have shown in recent weeks they are some of the hardest working in the league while not the most talented, it was men against boys today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't see the game did starting Mata make a difference or was it Carrick?

Both Mata and Carrick were very good,Mata played some lovely little one-twos and threaded several excellent balls into the most advanced players feet....
    Not the muck we have been used to of the ball been lumped up to Fellaini.
    Carrick was like the Carrick of a few seasons ago,measured and assured in possession and played a few brilliant passes into the box,including one for Fellaini to score with a great finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trilla wrote: »
    jesus would you drop that

I looked earlier and can't find cross completion statistics. I'm sure they would illuminate my point.

Look, I can see how people would think Young is doing well, he gets into some great positions so looks like he is doing positive work, misses everyone time and time again and is escaping criticism. I know he played once or twice as a proper left back and a good bit of time at left wing back but you can see in previous seasons and when compared to the players in his position at the other top clubs this season he lags behind even the Nacer Chadlis in terms of end product which for a winger at United is what I'm most interested in. I think there have been games were time and again he was the attacking outlet and was gotten the ball in some great positions and scenarios for him to use his skill at beating players and have time and space to pick out someone and not put in a pointless cross. It's the same problem I have with Januzaj, at least he's young though. The likes of Hazard, Sanchez, Robben, Ribery etc. don't have that problem and I think it's cost United points this season.

nice crosses, great energy and determination, some good defending too Ashley

Keep it up mate

Lost count the amount of times Young was in space and the attempted passes to him were over hit, maybe if they had of found him the crosses wound of been better?

I've really no complaints from any United player, makes the other statements from me the harder.

There is no getting away from the reality that if Blind is LB against Sterling what ever chance the confidence boost the lads got from the Spurs game will be shot to piece's if he is up against Sterling.

Coming into this season I thought Young would be useful but he has gone beyond it, and fair f**ks to him. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope Smalling keeps his current form going, it is great how he turned a bad situation around from that City game and has never looked back.
    Shows he has strength of character.

I'd like Van Gaal to go with a back four next week of:
    Valencia - Smalling - Rojo - Blind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Smalling is our best defender. He would have to stay and drop Jones when Rojo returns. I don't rate Jones at all. Too prone to basic mistakes and not good with his feet.

Today was great - really nice to see us play attacking football again.

Also: Fellani = Best player in the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

****in delighted with today and don't want to wreck the buzz but either smalling or jones and possibly both will revert to type and have a brainfart of the highest order that'll cost us dear next week. Jaysus I have to be more optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What a difference Carrick makes to the team, great to have him back.

The last time he came back into the team we went on our win streak. It also prompted me to say this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93442777&postcount=7753

I stand by it. Michaelangelo Carrick is the key to our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

De Gea, Blind at LB, Smalling & Rojo at CB, Carrick & Herrera in CM, Rooney up front, should all be automatic starters now for the rest of the season, I think. Consistency of selection could hopefully see us through the tough looking fixtures.

As well as the above, hopefully we can get Di Maria playing as he can, and Mata at #10 with runners either side of him to stretch the game and give him space to work in, and targets to hit with his passes.

I don't think that I'm allowed embed it in the thread, but here is a link to a gfy of Rooney's outside-of-the-boot pass to Fellaini. Sublime, sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With Herrera our game is so much fluid and now Carrick is back we should play Carrick - Herrera in the midfield. His overall game is so beautiful to watch, his work rate, passing, pressing, tacking everything is class. Shame it took so long for Van Gaal to realize that we have a proper midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just home and hammered, what a fcuking result lads. Heads up we can do this xD

Louis-Van-Gaal-Press-Conference.jpg

Also

Good man Fellaini :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

LVG has done wonders for Fellaini. He looks full of confidence this year and he's playing well. He took his goal brilliantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

KH25 wrote: »
    LVG has done wonders for Fellaini. He looks full of confidence this year and he's playing well. He took his goal brilliantly.

He doesn't get credit for his ball control but that's a good thing also I noticed that she other teams players are around fellani and the ball comes in that is anyway high at all they just freeze on spot, keep this form up ill have him in my team any day of the week he is an engine at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

#welldonefellani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

jayo26 wrote: »
    He doesn't get credit for his ball control but that's a good thing also I noticed that she other teams players are around fellani and the ball comes in that is anyway high at all they just freeze on spot, keep this form up ill have him in my team any day of the week he is an engine at the moment.

He has fantastic control.

When there is a long pass or a hoofball to him he gets surrounded by 2/3 players trying to put him off but that creates space for other players. Players that love working with space, they just need to exploit that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He has fantastic control.

When there is a long pass or a hoofball to him he gets surrounded by 2/3 players trying to put him off but that creates space for other players. Players that love working with space, they just need to exploit that

Dare I say it that him and Rooney work this well together. Rooney worked the channels and made excelent off the ball runs yesterday and created all of space and fellani did the same with his size, players had been making good runs for the past few games but it was only yesterday with Carrick back in midfield that they were getting balls threw to them.

Liam O wrote: »
    The United players should be much less fatigued than the teams around them due to lack of games and rotation throughout the season so I would like to see them out work Liverpool like they did Spurs today. Spurs players have shown in recent weeks they are some of the hardest working in the league while not the most talented, it was men against boys today.

Liverpool team/squad won't be anyway fatigued :)

No offence to Spurs, they lost fair and square but Liverpool will be a much sterner test of the rejuvenated utd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

anyone else think that after van gaals comments, di maria will be gone in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

bangkok wrote: »
    anyone else think that after van gaals comments, di maria will be gone in the summer?

No

what comments? link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think theres a good chance he will go but i dont think its for footballing reasons, i think the break in really affected him and his form only got really bad after that.

• Advertisement

A nothing quote which was sensationalized by media.

Augeo wrote: »
    Liverpool team/squad won't be anyway fatigued :)

No offence to Spurs, they lost fair and square but Liverpool will be a much sterner test of the rejuvenated utd :)

I'll just the excuses in early.

We have seen many false dawns. Yesterday was only 1 match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    Funny how some people who seem to spend 24 hours a day on the thread disappear when there's nothing to be hysterical about.

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »

from that very article..

"I am always compassionate about a player's needs and although I cannot say anything for definite about his future, I don't think he will move."

so there has obviously been some talk at the club about him wanting to move on, PSG being the most likely destination

• Advertisement

With the way the team played yesterday you would think Di Maria would thrive in the team,

I hope he does stay and becomes a success at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

zWUzksD.gif

from that very article..

"I am always compassionate about a player's needs and although I cannot say anything for definite about his future, I don't think he will move."

so there has obviously been some talk at the club about him wanting to move on, PSG being the most likely destination

FYP

from that very article..

Yes. Because it's in the future. How can he say for certain how a person will feel career wise in 3 months?

Try harder on feel good days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A great result, but a great performance yesterday.

We were outstanding from start to finish. We took the foot of the gas a little in 2nd half but what was pleasing is that De Gea had nothing to do till 89min.

Mata was a joy to watch yesterday. Herrera was always terrific making some nice runs, passes and unlucky not to score.

Rooney though was sensational. From start to finish he gave a performance that should be a inspiration to any player.

I can't fault any player yesterday. It was a good, strong and united performance. The crisp passing the the determination of each player was the most pleasing aspects for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement