Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

A great result, but a great performance yesterday.

We were outstanding from start to finish. We took the foot of the gas a little in 2nd half but what was pleasing is that De Gea had nothing to do till 89min.

Mata was a joy to watch yesterday. Herrera was always terrific making some nice runs, passes and unlucky not to score.

Rooney though was sensational. From start to finish he gave a performance that should be a inspiration to any player.

I can't fault any player yesterday. It was a good, strong and united performance. The crisp passing the the determination of each player was the most pleasing aspects for me.

apart from saving Jones for OG of the season :P

Yes. Because it's in the future. How can he say for certain how a person will feel career wise in 3 months?

Try harder on feel good days.

well its a talking point that has obviously been discussed by the manager and board.

its well known that he had wanted to join PSG in the summer, but they couldn't sign him due to FFP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

bangkok wrote: »
    apart from saving Jones for OG of the season :P
    Think thats been covered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I propose that, next season, the opening Superthread be named the "Maroune Fellaini F.C. Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread" in honour of past services rendered by the beautiful Belgian this season. What a unit he's becoming.

I watched the first half of the United Spurs game last night after UFC 185 and it was just incredible watching. To see the team play like that was immense. Really hope we do the job over Liverpool next week as well, with Fellaini scoring the winner.

In 'Fro we Trust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

anyone else think that after van gaals comments, di maria will be gone in the summer?
    from that very article..

"I am always compassionate about a player's needs and although I cannot say anything for definite about his future, I don't think he will move."

so there has obviously been some talk at the club about him wanting to move on, PSG being the most likely destination

So in the space of half an hour you go from thinking he will leave in the summer to saying its been discussed all from reading two articles written differently about a comment LVG made yesterday.

Poor LVG will be out with the phamplets next week Di Maria will 95% at the club and then at list of .01% he may get career ending injury .1% he is picked to go to mars to play for thier first soccer team 1% bankock wins the euromillions and buys him for PSG so he could say "told you so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think we'll finish on 71 points... Enough for top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Trilla wrote: »

What do you think Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton will finish on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I hate all this hypotheticall will x points be enough for 4th.

If we do better than the other teams then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The speculation of who the three players are continue, Depay seems to be one - seen a price tag of €30 million being quoted for him, but then he is hyped up to be the next great superstar...
    Laporte is being bandied around, claims Real Madrid want him too.
    Some think De Jong on a free transfer is another.

Ronaldo looked unhappy last night again, when he missed his chance to score and even more so when Bale scored the rebound...
    On the Sky Sport Sunday supplement, the guy from the sun said the following...
    Speaking on the Sunday Supplement, Kastrinakis said: “If things go on like this at Real Madrid there will be a massive overhaul at the end of the season and Ronaldo could decide he doesn’t want to be part of it.
    “It all depends on Ronaldo. Do you think if he turned around and said ‘I want to come back to United’ then United would not have him yesterday? It all depends on what he decides to do.
    “One of them will leave at worst. If Ronaldo leaves then Bale will stay put. If Bale leaves then Ronaldo will stay put, you can rest assured of that.
    “My money would be on Bale staying because he is a personal bet of Florentino Perez, the president, who champions him and defends him after spending an exorbitant amount of money for a player of Bale’s calibre.”
    Ferguson was pictured sitting alongside Jorge Mendes – the agent who represents Ronaldo and current United forward Radamel Falcao – in midweek.
    And Kastrinakis says there are lots of barriers to overcome before Ronaldo could return to the club he played for between 2003 and 2009.
    “He signed his new deal in September 2013 and that killed off the hopes of the fans that he would come back to Old Trafford,” he added.
    “The thing is he is 30. He was 30 last month and has won back-to-back Ballon d’Ors since Rio Ferdinand confirmed stories that United wanted Ronaldo back and players were trying to convince him to come back. This was a story that ran for about eight months until Ronaldo signed his new deal.
    “Can he come back? Should he come back? Obviously United are targeting Bale as well, who is five years younger.
    “Between the two, in my opinion there is no comparison. Ronaldo is one of the top five footballers of all time. I don’t always like his behaviour, but the numbers are stratospheric. He knows United inside and out.
    “Has Bale justified his 100million euro price tag? Absolutely not, even though he has scored big goals in big matches. Ronaldo has scored big goals in big matches and has done it in every other match as well for six years for Real Madrid.
    “I think he can come back, but a lot of things have to fall into place.”

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/sunday-supplement/news/9760573/cristiano-ronaldo-or-gareth-bale-to-manchester-united-this-summer

I just think not all is right with Ronaldo at the moment at Real Madrid. Casillas forcing him to appreciate the fans after the Schalke game, the look and body language of unhappiness when Bale scored last night.

There was talk in Spanish papers earlier in the season that Perez sees next summer as his only opportunity to sell Ronaldo for a high fee due to him not getting any younger.

I had started this post, then had to deal with some work and when I came back, had a look at twitter and I see this which was posted after I had started my post....

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/577446722588278784

It is clear Ronaldo is not very happy at the moment in Spain, he walked off the pitch last night without showing appreciation for the fans.
    Maybe looking for a move, doing a Rojo, sulk your way into getting the transfer you want...just think the behaviour of Ronaldo is of a person who is acting in a way that screams, 'I want a transfer and I will show it in public'.
    United better get into the CL first. I don't know, but his behaviour is strange at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

stankratz wrote: »
    I don't think that I'm allowed embed it in the thread, but here is a link to a gfy of Rooney's outside-of-the-boot pass to Fellaini. Sublime, sexual.

Re-watched the game last night thanks to the joyous NBSC app.

There was times in that first half it felt 100% like we were taking the piss. Some of the interplay between Herrera, Mata, Rooney and Fellaini was bonkers.

There appears to be a wonderful understanding between Herrera and Mata. OK obviously both being Spanish, but both have had little game time together, at all in this team, never mind before arriving to the club. There was some incredible one twos between them, with quick lay offs and then spinning around Spurs lads and moving forward .

Obviously knowing the result was in the bag, watched the whole thing with a smile on my face. Nearly as impressive as the first half was how brilliant we executed the second half. Defensive shape was amazing and everyone was working hard. Erikson is a player I really like, and he was nowhere the entire game :O

As Adox already mentioned can't run away with ourselves, Spurs were dire, but I think they were more shell shocked with what was happening more then anything else. Mason and Bentaleb have been working as a dynamic duo all season and have rarely looked overwhelmed. And plenty of teams have gone three in midfield to try over run them. They just got passed by like crazy yesterday.

Wouldn't declare it finally turning the corner, but SURELY that is going to lay a marker for the squad to follow through the next few games.

Still feel Liverpool is the tricky tie.

• Advertisement

I hate all this hypotheticall will x points be enough for 4th. .

hate? Lol strong word mate.

Ok I'll rephrase. I think we'll get 15 points from our remaining games, beating Villa, Arsenal, Hull and West Brom.... draws from City, Palace, Everton or Liverpool.

That should be enough for top 4 right? Taking into account Arsenal and Pools run-ins are slightly easier.

If we do better than the other teams then yes.

Ahh I see. Insightful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TheDoc wrote: »
    Re-watched the game last night thanks to the joyous NBSC app.

Eh??

Ok I'll rephrase. I think we'll get 15 points from our remaining games, beating Villa, Arsenal, Hull and West Brom.... draws from City, Palace, Everton or Liverpool.

That should be enough for top 4 right? Taking into account Arsenal and Pools run-ins are slightly easier.

Ahh I see. Insightful!

Fine. It rustles my jimmies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fine. It rustles my jimmies.

Don't mind him I like your rants don't go changing your ways haha..

jayo26 wrote: »
    Don't mind him I like your rants don't go changing your ways haha..

I'll only change if Bangkok will take m hand in marriage and Fellaini is the priest and di Maria is the ring bearer wearing a psg shirt.

Shadow complex will obviously be in charge of organising the tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ahh I see. Insightful!

Did my predictions again, and I see us in 5th spot, 2 points off Liverpool in 4th.

Would tonight after the Swansea game be too early to put up a match thread? I think it could get intense.

Did my predictions again, and I see us in 5th spot, 2 points off Liverpool in 4th.

what points total did you have Pool, us and Arsenal on?

I'll only change if Bangkok will take m hand in marriage.

That's a horrible thought. Imagine the negativity of that relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Would tonight after the Swansea game be too early to put up a match thread? I think it could get intense.

Its already up and locked until Sunday

So in the space of half an hour you go from thinking he will leave in the summer to saying its been discussed all from reading two articles written differently about a comment LVG made yesterday.

Poor LVG will be out with the phamplets next week Di Maria will 95% at the club and then at list of .01% he may get career ending injury .1% he is picked to go to mars to play for thier first soccer team 1% bankock wins the euromillions and buys him for PSG so he could say "told you so"

so your trying to tell me that it hasn't been discussed at board room level?
    he is obviously unsettled at the moment. recently moved out of his house and now renting an apartment

That's a horrible thought. Imagine the negativity of that relationship.

I edited it to include my dream wedding.

Our relationship would be beautiful, you don't know us!!

he is obviously unsettled at the moment. recently moved out of his house and now renting an apartment

He moved out of the house that got broken in to, and is renting an apartment while in the process of buying a new place.

I edited it to include my dream wedding.

Our relationship would be beautiful, you don't know us!!

If you say so haha it wasn't your side of it I was thinking about.

Ah noway that's no fun at all, we have lots to discuss on neutral territory before Sunday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't want to be getting too excited - Spurs aren't great and some of their defending was terrible - but it is really enjoyable seeing the team able to attack properly again. And add in the first half we saw against Arsenal and this could well be a turning point.

Imo it's Rooney, Carrick and Herrera that are the key. Rooney's running, hold-up and link-up play is oppening up the pitch for everybody. Carrick's quality and quantity of passes does more than Blind's. And then Herrera has a good knack of beating players and creating things.

Fellaini is doing good work too, but I'm not sure he is essential to the good performance as the other three. His finish was classy tbf.

I suspect that Di Maria would have produced more than Mata, given how that gane went, but Mata did fine. Young did fine too, but nothing particularly imoressive imo. I think his defensive contribution is important, so I'm happy to see him starting for now.

Smalling is proving his quality to all the doubters. I hope he stays fit, that's all I've ever been concerned about with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

I would agree, of course it's been discussed. I think he will move if a half decent deal comes along, PSG being the likely destination

just on fellaini's goal, great finish but anyone else this lloris was very poor for it?

Pro. F wrote: »
    Smalling is proving his quality to all the doubters. I hope he stays fit, that's all I've ever been concerned about with him.

I say this about Smalling a good bit myself too.

When he is on his game, he is brilliant. His passing will never be outstanding, but when he is on his game he is quick, strong, reads the game well. There are times when he looks a brilliant CB. Arsenal and Chelsea earlier in the season, for example. However, he usually ends his top quality runs fairly quickly with a massive brain fart, like the City game.

Of Jones, Evans and himself, i think Smalling has shown himself to be the best of the 3 - WHEN ON HIS GAME. Unfortunately he just can't be trusted to put any sort of consistent run together.

Would you honestly be surprised if he assisted a liverpool goal at the weekend and followed it up with a sending off?

just on fellaini's goal, great finish but anyone else this lloris was very poor for it?

I'm taking your Fellaini beating stick away from you. You can get it back at the end of the day

• Advertisement

I would agree, of course it's been discussed. I think he will move if a half decent deal comes along, PSG being the likely destination
    Half decent?

I reckon Woodward will be very reluctant to let his star purchase leave after one season for a 'half decent' offer.

Woodward is the main reason I can see Di Maria staying, he'll want him kept - unless we get some other genuine superstar to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nope. Hadnt a chance.

You are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Half decent?

I reckon Woodward will be very reluctant to let his star purchase leave after one season for a 'half decent' offer.

Woodward is the main reason I can see Di Maria staying, he'll want him kept - unless we get some other genuine superstar to replace him.

Don't worry mate, Herrera ain't going anywhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Don't worry mate, Herrera ain't going anywhere :pac:

I think you're forgetting about Woody's first purchase :p

adox wrote: »
    Nope. Hadnt a chance.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jlbrw_fellaini-goal-manchester-united-1-0-tottenham-15-03-2015-premier-league_sport

great finish but poor goalkeeping imo. didn't narrow the angle and went with his feet instead of diving.

I say this about Smalling a good bit myself too.

When he is on his game, he is brilliant. His passing will never be outstanding, but when he is on his game he is quick, strong, reads the game well. There are times when he looks a brilliant CB. Arsenal and Chelsea earlier in the season, for example. However, he usually ends his top quality runs fairly quickly with a massive brain fart, like the City game.

Of Jones, Evans and himself, i think Smalling has shown himself to be the best of the 3 - WHEN ON HIS GAME. Unfortunately he just can't be trusted to put any sort of consistent run together.

Would you honestly be surprised if he assisted a liverpool goal at the weekend and followed it up with a sending off?

Are you for real? Smalling has a grand total of one red card in his entire professional career. He's generally been excellent in defence this season too.

Half decent?

Cavani

It genuinely blows my mind that anyone could find a way to convince themselves that United will sell Di Maria at a loss this summer. Are you daft?

No logos winning already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

keane2097 wrote: »
    It genuinely blows my mind that anyone could find a way to convince themselves that United will sell Di Maria at a loss this summer. Are you daft?

What to do, United played well so nothing to complain about. Have to start something to just moan for the sake of it.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What to do, United played well so nothing to complain about. Have to start something to just moan for the sake of it.

I'm not saying the thread is full of poorly disguised trolls, but it is.

not saying they will sell, but it has def been discussed if the agent said the player is not happy.

they would still be selling for around 50m anyway so its still huge money we are talking about.

Sure didn't United make losses on plenty of other players, Zaha, Bebe, Forlan and the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Half decent?

+1

Unless PSG offer the same cash as United paid he shouldn't be sold .ADM is a class act and imo will come good again .Its a pity he was suspended yesterday as that game was made for him.

I think this summer will see LVG buy his players as I think a few lads were bought that may not have been his choices.

not saying they will sell, but it has def been discussed if the agent said the player is not happy.

they would still be selling for around 50m anyway so its still huge money we are talking about.

Sure didn't United make losses on plenty of other players, Zaha, Bebe, Forlan and the likes

tumblr_lk1tkfWcT11qafrh6.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jlbrw_fellaini-goal-manchester-united-1-0-tottenham-15-03-2015-premier-league_sport

great finish but poor goalkeeping imo. didn't narrow the angle and went with his feet instead of diving.

He wouldnt have gotten it if he dived. Went with his feet at the ball was past him so fast he didnt have tome to dive.

Being ultra critical he maybe could have come towards Fellaini a couple of yards to try and narrow the angle more but I still dont think he would have gotten the ball so wouldnt hold him responsible for the goal at all.

There were quite a few players in front of him that were ball watching or out of position who would be the obvious choices to point the finger at.

I have absolutely no idea what has been discussed at board level in regaurds of certain players, I do know Di Maria isnt the first player ever not to settle in his first year and I do know that I never heard any case of a club breaking a national record of buying a player then selling him the next season (open to correction) clubs very very rarely buy big and sell after one season.

I heard he was stating in a house that an ex player from united used to own and Ive no idea if he is renting or bought it though but not really sure what your point about living in an apartment is. I'm sure if he is its the size of a house..

*edit just saw Mitchs post regaurding house/apartment situation

tumblr_lk1tkfWcT11qafrh6.jpg

? you said not a hope they would sell for less, why wouldn't they? its happened plenty of times before

I'm sure he is old enough and bold enough to go to this manager and say hey look I haven't been having the best time here and with the break in my wife isn't happy and I want to do what is best for her but just give me a while and I'll be right again.

No problem angel. We are all human.

• Advertisement

? you said not a hope they would sell for less, why wouldn't they? its happened plenty of times before

We have won the league plenty of times before......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement