Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I have absolutely no idea what has been discussed at board level in regaurds of certain players, I do know Di Maria isnt the first player ever not to settle in his first year and I do know that I never heard any case of a club breaking a national record of buying a player then selling him the next season (open to correction) clubs very very rarely buy big and sell after one season.

I heard he was stating in a house that an ex player from united used to own and Ive no idea if he is renting or bought it though but not really sure what your point about living in an apartment is. I'm sure if he is its the size of a house..

*edit just saw Mitchs post regaurding house/apartment situation

phil nevilles apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

miscellaneous-figure_of_speech-literal_meaning-literal-eleven_foot_pole-disgust-vsh0914_low.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Pro. F wrote: »
    Fellaini is doing good work too, but I'm not sure he is essential to the good performance as the other three. His finish was classy tbf.

Do you not think that Fellaini is a good outlet when teams press us high up the pitch, yesterday when we couldnt pass it out it went back to De Gea and he hit Fellaini with a long pass. He ended up being man marked in the 2nd half to a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Great result yesterday, First game in a long time that we made space to actually play.

Im not sure if we made the space or Spurs granted it to us.

I guess the next game will tell if we can reproduce it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I guess the next game will tell if we can reproduce it

a draw then in Anfield, a draw in the Derby, lose to Chelsea and\or Everton and win our remaining games I'll be fooking delighted.

Might be enough for 2nd never mind 4th! Seriously doubt that though.

• Advertisement

I said this in the last thread

Predictions for the run in

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94410207&postcount=8414

Sunderland (H) Win ( Won )
    Newcastle (A) Win ( Won )
    Tottenham ( H) Draw ( Won )
    Liverpool (A) Draw

Aston Villa (H) Win
    Man City (H) Lose
    Chelsea (A) Lose
    Evertonv ( A ) Win

West Brom (H) Win
    Crystal Palace (A) Win
    Arsenal ( H) Draw
    Hull ( A ) Win

Still difficult to judge what will happen

I'm taking your Fellaini beating stick away from you. You can get it back at the end of the day

even you said during the match thread lloris wasn't a patch on de gea, so I presume you agree with me that he was poor for the fellaini goal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If Liverpool somehow draw tonight then they are going to have to go all out to be at is Sunday whichay very well suit us if Di Maria starts...

Personally I'd take a draw and run from Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    even you said during the match thread lloris wasn't a patch on de gea, so I presume you agree with me that he was poor for the fellaini goal :p

Hahaha dam. Was hoping you would forget about that.

Fair enough. If it was de gea in goal I think he would have done better. Still dosent take away from fellaini and taking the goal very well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Carrick is the key.

it's ridiculous how obvious his impact yesterday was.

as underrated a player as there's been in the Premier League. yes, there are times against the best of sides, or the toughest of midfields when he doesn't quite step up to the mark, and he has been guilty of not being able to impose himself in certain games.

but in terms of the Premier League, he's been as undervalued as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

keane2097 wrote: »
    It genuinely blows my mind that anyone could find a way to convince themselves that United will sell Di Maria at a loss this summer. Are you daft?

Yeah mate you're dead right. No club in history have ever sold a promising signing at a loss because he didn't settle in or perform as expected.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Carrick is the key.

as underrated a player as there's been in the Premier League. yes, there are times against the best of sides, or the toughest of midfields when when he doesn't quite step up to the mark, and he has been guilty of not being able to impose himself in certain games.

underrated only by some fans, players and other fans alike can see how good he is. I am a massive fan, I think he is a fantastic footballer and a bargain at 18m we paid for him. In fairness to him the last few years, he has had some terrible midfield partners, Anderson, giggs, cleverly, but he is always hugely missed whenever he is absent. the sign of a great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eh??

Some American legit app, has rights in the States for all Premier league games. Has them all on VOD few hours after they are aired live.

Or is the eh? that I made a meal of the name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »
    Some American legit app, has rights in the States for all Premier league games. Has them all on VOD few hours after they are aired live.

Or is the eh? that I made a meal of the name?

You need to proxy your connection before it'll work or?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You need to proxy your connection before it'll work or?

To spare unnecessary work for mods prob best to not talk about this on the thread directly. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it in my post :'(

Yeah mate you're dead right. No club in history have ever sold a promising signing at a loss because he didn't settle in or perform as expected.

Glad you've seen sense m8

Fellaini is doing good work too, but I'm not sure he is essential to the good performance as the other three. His finish was classy tbf.

I thought his early pressing and drive set the tone for the game. Might be paying him too much credit, but thought he personified what happened yesterday in the first half with good tackling and retrieving possession along with driving forward and playing quick passes.

I don't know if it was tactically planned by Van Gaal or if he just spotted it, but he kept drifting over to Walker causing a 3v1 with young and Blind when Townsend was failing to track back.

The realist in me says it must have been worked out pre-game, but if it was spotted on the fly fair play to him. It was so exploitive Martin Tyler was even seeing what was happening.

Glad you've seen sense m8

They have a point in fairness. It's rare that we ever make a profit on any player we sell on.

Typically if your being sold by us your surplus to requirements or didn't make the grade. Only in very rare instances have we sold a player and made a profit.

While I don't see Di Maria being sold myself, it would be easier to negotiate a fee this summer putting down poor form to a host of issues and not directly linking them to him being poor, as opposed to say next summer if he had another season of being stink.

Not that I think he is "stink" per say, just having a rough time at present. Will only take one good performance for him and I'm sure like 95% of footballer who look absolutely battered for confidence, one good game or a goal and it comes flooding back.

They have a point in fairness. It's rare that we ever make a profit on any player we sell on.

Typically if your being sold by us your surplus to requirements or didn't make the grade. Only in very rare instances have we sold a player and made a profit.

While I don't see Di Maria being sold myself, it would be easier to negotiate a fee this summer putting down poor form to a host of issues and not directly linking them to him being poor, as opposed to say next summer if he had another season of being stink.

Not that I think he is "stink" per say, just having a rough time at present. Will only take one good performance for him and I'm sure like 95% of footballer who look absolutely battered for confidence, one good game or a goal and it comes flooding back.

If I somehow gave the impression that I needed an explanation of why players are sometimes sold by clubs I apologise profusely.

My intention was to make the point that the idea of Di Maria being sold this summer at a loss by Man United is daft to the point of stretching credulity. I believe I used words to that effect exclusively when discussing the matter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the subject of di Maria, is he very likely to come straight back into the team next weekend? I'm not asking whther he should (as I guess most would say no due to recent form) but whether he will. Has he been on the bench often when fit this season?

• Advertisement

If I somehow gave the impression that I needed an explanation of why players are sometimes sold by clubs I apologise profusely.

My intention was to make the point that the idea of Di Maria being sold this summer at a loss by Man United is daft to the point of stretching credulity. I believe I used words to that effect exclusively when discussing the matter.

why? zaha was signed for 12-15m and sold for what?

Chelsea signed torres for 50m, sent to ac Milan on loan

andy carroll 35m

Robbie keane 20m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Carrick is the key.

as underrated a player as there's been in the Premier League. yes, there are times against the best of sides, or the toughest of midfields when he doesn't quite step up to the mark, and he has been guilty of not being able to impose himself in certain games.

Leon Britton says hello :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

5starpool wrote: »
    On the subject of di Maria, is he very likely to come straight back into the team next weekend? I'm not asking whther he should (as I guess most would say no due to recent form) but whether he will. Has he been on the bench often when fit this season?

He defo shouldn't. Gives the ball away quite often and doesn't track back which against the pace of Liverpool would be disastrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Keep Di Maria in reserve, start with the same team as yesterday with Rojo in for Calamity Jones

If we play like we did yesterday we'll give ourselves a good chance of beating them

5starpool wrote: »

Cant think of any game where he started on the bench when fit, I'd say he fits into LVGs system better than Mata when playing 433 but 2nd guessing what Louis will do this season has been hard at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    ? you said not a hope they would sell for less, why wouldn't they? its happened plenty of times before

When? When have United, or any club for that matter, bought a player for a national record fee and then sold them at a loss the following summer?

Maybe this is happening all the time and I'm somehow missing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

DiMaria will not be sold this summer.

The same nonsense was been spouted about the big Belgian lad last year cos he didn't bed in straight away, I said it last year about Fell and I will say it now about Angel, he will become an integral part of team next year.

Re-watched the game last night thanks to the joyous NBSC app.

There was times in that first half it felt 100% like we were taking the piss. Some of the interplay between Herrera, Mata, Rooney and Fellaini was bonkers.

There appears to be a wonderful understanding between Herrera and Mata. OK obviously both being Spanish, but both have had little game time together, at all in this team, never mind before arriving to the club. There was some incredible one twos between them, with quick lay offs and then spinning around Spurs lads and moving forward .

Obviously knowing the result was in the bag, watched the whole thing with a smile on my face. Nearly as impressive as the first half was how brilliant we executed the second half. Defensive shape was amazing and everyone was working hard. Erikson is a player I really like, and he was nowhere the entire game :O

As Adox already mentioned can't run away with ourselves, Spurs were dire, but I think they were more shell shocked with what was happening more then anything else. Mason and Bentaleb have been working as a dynamic duo all season and have rarely looked overwhelmed. And plenty of teams have gone three in midfield to try over run them. They just got passed by like crazy yesterday.

Wouldn't declare it finally turning the corner, but SURELY that is going to lay a marker for the squad to follow through the next few games.

Still feel Liverpool is the tricky tie.

That is something we won't have against the Pool, or whoever our next game would have been against after a performance such as yesterday's. Nobody outside the club saw that performance coming, not us fans and especially not rival teams. A big part of the reason Spurs were dire yesterday was because United completely stunned them in the first 20 minutes and they had no idea how to respond to or deal with it.

Next Sunday, Liverpool will know that there is a chance United could perform like this once again and they will have time to plan accordingly. That surprise factor is forever gone now, unless we go stale for another 20 matches* and who in here wants to see that again.

I said it yesterday and will say it again, don't change a fúcking thing Louis between now and next Sunday. Jones bugged me yesterday with that back pass and the big nervy head on him, but tbf he was solid for the rest of the match. Maybe if LVG does change one thing, Rojo for Jones because I know the minute I endorse Jones in the 11 he'll go and give away a penalty in the first 5 minutes next Sunday.

*20 matches. Yesterday's performance for me was the most promising since the 4-0 victory against QPR last September. Herrera and Mata shined that day also. I suggested in a post a month or so ago when Mata disappeared that perhaps rather than fall out of favour with LVG, that maybe he was just currently out of rotation and was being saved for the run of games starting with Spurs. At the time, I had looked at Mata's stats for the season so far, as well as having his performances fresh in mind, and I just couldn't see how he could have fallen out of favour. He was a staple in the team that went on the best run we had this season, and any discussion on the prospect of him leaving this Summer just didn't sit right with me.

Of course yesterday's appearance and performance sets nothing in stone, but I see Mata in the 11 next Sunday and along with Herrera being key to creating the handful of chances United will get at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I just love Van Gaal in press conferences. It's clear he thinks everyone in front of him is scum of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It would make no sense to sell Di Maria if Ronaldo is coming in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Keep Di Maria in reserve, start with the same team as yesterday with Rojo in for Calamity Jones

If we play like we did yesterday we'll give ourselves a good chance of beating them

Yes, better have Rojo in playing next Sunday.

Jones was easily our worst player yesterday, apart from nearly scoring a goal at the wrong end, he is just such a poor passer of the ball and I don't think his fellow players have confidence in him, I expect he had the least amount of touches of the ball yesterday for any United player who started.
    I haven't even mentioned defending...

Di Maria had a good first half against Arsenal, before he went over a cliff in the second half.
    Yeah have him in reserve and play the same team bar Jones next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It would make no sense to sell Di Maria if Ronaldo is coming in the summer.

More Ronaldo from last night, in this it looks like he is cursing Real Madrid fans under his breath...

https://twitter.com/Footy_Jokes/status/577510763868258304

Just need those United fans to get that airplane back out with a message :pac:

RobertKK wrote: »
    More Ronaldo from last night, in this it looks like he is cursing Real Madrid fans under his breath...

https://twitter.com/Footy_Jokes/status/577510763868258304

Just need those United fans to get that airplane back out with a message :pac:

The look he gives in that video screams "Fúck you, I'm going back to United".

Muppet mode engaged, it's on!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thelad95 wrote: »
    I just love Van Gaal in press conferences. It's clear he thinks everyone in front of him is scum of the earth.

if that's the case, then he mustn't be surprised if he occasionally gets a hard time from said press, getting asked questions he may not want to be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

if that's the case, then he mustn't be surprised if he occasionally gets a hard time from said press, getting asked questions he may not want to be asked.

Yeah Fergie had his inner circle of journos that everyone wanted to be in but LVG doesn't really seem to have that. Definitely caused him problems at times and they complain about it on Football Weekly a bit.

• Advertisement

To be fair, that's going to happen anyway what with him being manager of Manchester United. The thing is I genuinely don't think he gives two fúcks about anything they write about him or his team.

DiMaria will not be sold this summer.

Did a double take here to make sure it wasnt Future Guy

This place is like the Sports bible sometimes. There's no way a player we payed £60 million for last summer will be sold within twelve months.

Ronaldo stuff is incredible. You know its not only recently, he has gotten stick pretty much since his second season there for some strange reason. One of the best footballers of all time, playing in front of you smashing goals in week in week out, and you find a way to boo him?

I'd love for him to leave just to flick the V's at that lot, most ludicrous "fans" in world football.

Somehow I don't think this time round he's trying to swing a new contract or bump in pay. Looks genuinely unhappy there for some time now.

For maybe those who don't frequent La Liga, Ronaldo getting **** from Real fans is not a new phenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Ronaldo comes back Id still play rooney as our central striker with ronaldo to the right and di maria to the left

Would you guys be happy if this was our starting 11 next season

De-Gea
    Clyne
    Hummels
    Smaling or Rojo----Blind or Shaw
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Herrera

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Di-Maria

• Advertisement

Ronaldo is not coming back anytime soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Ronaldo is not coming back anytime soon

Hey, HEY! Don't you be treading on Future Guy's turf....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey, HEY! Don't you be treading on Future Guy's turf....

lol ... Didn't he want to play some south American footy.... im sure I reead that somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Do you not think that Fellaini is a good outlet when teams press us high up the pitch, yesterday when we couldnt pass it out it went back to De Gea and he hit Fellaini with a long pass. He ended up being man marked in the 2nd half to a degree.

Good point, he does provide that outlet and it is useful. But I'm not convinced it is essential at this point. There aren't really any teams in the PL that consistently press high and that's all we'll be facing for the rest of the season. Also, I think I'd like the team to take on more responsibility when playing it out and not fall back on the afro ball so much.

I suspect that if we replaced Fellaini with Mata the team would gain more than it would lose. But it's only a suspicion, I'd need to see it tried out for a bit before I'd make my mind up either way.

I say this about Smalling a good bit myself too.

When he is on his game, he is brilliant. His passing will never be outstanding, but when he is on his game he is quick, strong, reads the game well. There are times when he looks a brilliant CB. Arsenal and Chelsea earlier in the season, for example. However, he usually ends his top quality runs fairly quickly with a massive brain fart, like the City game.

Of Jones, Evans and himself, i think Smalling has shown himself to be the best of the 3 - WHEN ON HIS GAME. Unfortunately he just can't be trusted to put any sort of consistent run together.

Would you honestly be surprised if he assisted a liverpool goal at the weekend and followed it up with a sending off?

I think I would be surprised if he committed some massive fùck up - like a stupid tackle or pass to the opposition in front of goal. I wouldn't be surprised by a bit of trouble with positioning for himself and whoever the other CB is going to be, only because there hasn't been any CB partnership established in the last few games and so the teamwork might not be fully up to speed. But yeah, a City game level of fùck up would surprise me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smalling has improved a lot on the ball over recent games and did a good job yesterday. I didn't put much credence in this before recently but the problem this season with all 3 of the maligned defenders is that they are not the best on the left side of CB. Evans is the most 2 footed of them so was put there but I've seen it with Smalling and Jones recently. All of them have looked their best with a run of games on the right side and only Rojo has looked good on the left side of the pair/trio.

I know it's incredibly unlikely but imagine the madness if Chelsea lost a few games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Good point, he does provide that outlet and it is useful. But I'm not convinced it is essential at this point. There aren't really any teams in the PL that consistently press high and that's all we'll be facing for the rest of the season. Also, I think I'd like the team to take on more responsibility when playing it out and not fall back on the afro ball so much.

I suspect that if we replaced Fellaini with Mata the team would gain more than it would lose. But it's only a suspicion, I'd need to see it tried out for a bit before I'd make my mind up either way.

I think I would be surprised if he committed some massive fùck up - like a stupid tackle or pass to the opposition in front of goal. I wouldn't be surprised by a bit of trouble with positioning for himself and whoever the other CB is going to be, only because there hasn't been any CB partnership established in the last few games and so the teamwork might not be fully up to speed. But yeah, a City game level of fùck up would surprise me at this stage.

Id only replace Fellaini with Mata if we had someone bigger and stronger than Herrera behind him, Herrera may grow into that in time but I think a 3 of Carrick, Herrera and Mata is too light weight

Lose on Sunday and we can kiss top 4 goodbye

There's no way Pool will drop a point more than us in the last games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Pity swansea cant finish shda had it wrapped up in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

My God Sunday is gonna be massive. I'm nervous already :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement