Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Liverpool won by a fluke goal. They didn't deserve to win

The momentum is with us after spurs.

Fluke goal for sure but they adjusted really well at half time. Sign of a good team and a good manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Utd prob need to win this on Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

gosplan wrote: »

They really don't. A draw would be an excellent result for them, both as a result on its own and in the race for a CL place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sundays result is a big one but its not the end of the road for either team, man city result the weekend also brings them back into I on current form they have to be weakest I'm not sure of stats but they have to be picking up least points per game lately then any other team sitting from 2nd to 5th as much as we build up pool and united in two games city or arsenal could be out of top 4 too. If we can replicate our tempo and composure from weekend game id be confident going forward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I saw the second half of the Pool match last night, and would personally say they got very lucky with the goal (it was a weird bounce). They didn't look up to much. They seemed to be playing a high line which we might be able to dissect like we did Spurs.

Based on nothing but form, they probably edge it, but it's not that they are drastically ahead of us; it's not that we're in bad form particularly. We gifted Arsenal two goals for that loss, and we've only lost 2 games in our last 19 league games.

They'll score goals, no doubt. We'll have to outscore them to win, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see a draw, and see both teams happy with it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I saw the second half of the Pool match last night, and would personally say they got very lucky with the goal (it was a weird bounce). They didn't look up to much. They seemed to be playing a high line which we might be able to dissect like we did Spurs.

Based on nothing but form, they probably edge it, but it's not that they are drastically ahead of us; it's not that we're in bad form particularly. We gifted Arsenal two goals for that loss, and we've only lost 2 games in our last 19 league games.

They'll score goals, no doubt. We'll have to outscore them to win, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see a draw, and see both teams happy with it....

They were worse in first half mate Swansea could of had 2 goals at least, form counts for nothing Sunday it will be hunger.

• gosplan wrote: »

Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. Liverpool need to win. As stated by adox a draw would be a good result and keep us 3 points clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. Liverpool need to win. As stated by adox a draw would be a good result and keep us 3 points clear

A draw is better for them than us tbh considering out fixtures after.

We are only 2 points ahead as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

niallo27 wrote: »
    Best of luck to both teams. Be great to both qualify and we can all celebrate together

tumblr_ndovkv50671spdt2jo1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    They really don't. A draw would be an excellent result for them, both as a result on its own and in the race for a CL place.

In fairness, in the spirit of looking up rather than down, it's a must win. Arsenal and City are both there for the taking. My eyes are on 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I want to see nothing but a win against Liverpool and carrying that Spurs winning form with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Sure were two points ahead but with such better goal difference it might as well be 3 so even if we only drew away to Chelsea and they won that same weekend we would still be ahead on gd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No way United can beat Liverpool. They have far better players, including the best in the league this year in Coutinho, a better manager and don't ever dive or cheat. Impossible victory, just like earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Consider the team. More fruitless juggling of our back line. Leave Jones and smalling where they are

I watched Jones very closely as I saw him as the weakest link in the team.

He nearly scored an own goal.
    Noticed his team mates would rather pass it to other players rather than to him.

I am sure the stats would show of all the starting players in out field positions for United, he didn't have to do much.
    Liverpool is a different kettle of fish.

Smalling was in charge at the back, Jones for the little he had to do could have changed the game with an own goal and gave some confidence to Spurs.
    I don't believe Jones would have played if Rojo was available.

It was good in the last game that United were all about attacking, it took pressure off Jones. Rojo is more suited against a team who will attack more than Spurs.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    I watched Jones very closely as I saw him as the weakest link in the team.

He nearly scored an own goal.
    Noticed his team mates would rather pass it to other players rather than to him.

I am sure the stats would show of all the starting players in out field positions for United, he didn't have to do much.
    Liverpool is a different kettle of fish.

Smalling was in charge at the back, Jones for the little he had to do could have changed the game with an own goal and gave some confidence to Spurs.
    I don't believe Jones would have played if Rojo was available.

It was good in the last game that United were all about attacking, it took pressure off Jones. Rojo is more suited against a team who will attack more than Spurs.

My debate is not about what player is technically better
    I just think its a better idea late into the season the we stick with the same 11 who performed brilliantly against spurs

Yes Jones made an early mistake but other than a nervy five minutes he was solid and strong in his tackling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liam O wrote: »
    No way United can beat Liverpool. They have far better players, including the best in the league this year in Coutinho, a better manager and don't ever dive or cheat. Impossible victory, just like earlier in the season.

For a long time I thought you were better than this kind of drivel. Unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

Mr Alan wrote: »
    For a long time I thought you were better than this kind of drivel. Unfortunate.

I'm presuming his post is laced with sarcasm?

Could be wrong I suppose :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr Alan wrote: »

Sorry Al, I'll strive to be as unbiased as you in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liam O wrote: »
    Sorry Al, I'll strive to be as unbiased as you in the future.

Best of luck. We all need our goals.

• Advertisement

My debate is not about what player is technically better
    I just think its a better idea late into the season the we stick with the same 11 who performed brilliantly against spurs

Yes Jones made an early mistake but other than a nervy five minutes he was solid and strong in his tackling

Looked at his stats and compared them to Rojo and Smalling...Evans is the best passer of the ball...

Jones is best at interceptions but Rojo and Smalling are better when it comes to winning aerial balls, in that they win more aerial balls but Jones on a percentage basis is around equal winning near two thirds of aerial duels.
    Stats show Jones is the worst passer of the ball.

Maybe it is the poor passing that is irking me the most and the stats that show we win less games that he plays in, I will keep quiet for now, but he better not try those poor passes back to De Gea again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I hate watching us play at Anfield. I think I'm right in saying that we have won there once since the 08 season.

Expecting that awful trend to continue. Think City somehow have a worse record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RasTa wrote: »
    I hate watching us play at Anfield. I think I'm right in saying that we have won there once since the 08 season.

I think we've won one of the last seven there. Not a good record at all recently.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RasTa wrote: »

Ye won there in Ferguson's last season, the time Shelvey got sent off, but ya, I think that's the only time in recent years ye have won there.

Liverpool won by a fluke goal. They didn't deserve to win

The momentum is with us after spurs.

Indeed, because prior to that fluke goal and the clean sheet that came with it Liverpool beat Man city, West Ham, Spurs, Southampton, Burnley and drew with Everton away........ 16 from 18 points and than a fluke 3 points away to Swansea......as you say the momentum is 100% with Utd :)

the beauty of the draw is that both teams get a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I enjoy reading posters thoughts here, but its weeks like this that it is unbearable.

My team\fans are better then your fans X100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I enjoy reading posters thoughts here, but its weeks like this that it is unbearable........

Just out of curiosity, did you find such weeks unbearable when Utd were winning the league and challenging for the CL regularly?

Serious question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Augeo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, did you find such weeks unbearable when Utd were winning the league and challenging for the CL regularly?

Serious question.

Of course not. I can't wait for Sunday either personally.

But that was not my point, all all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A draw wouldn't be an awful result but I can't look at the remaining games and think that Liverpool won't gain at least 3 points on us unless we consistently play as good as we did against Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Serious question.
    very odd question to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

adox wrote: »
    A draw would be a pretty sweet result for Utd and disappointing for Liverpool.

The game is important alright but I think people are losing the run of themselves on how important and defining it will be. It certainly won't decide anything that's for sure.

It won't decide anything or be defining? it will decide who is in fourth place come sunday evening and if its not us we are behind Liverpool with a much tougher run in and forth will look like a very tough task and Liverpool would be odds on for 4th.

Its a massive game and will decide much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Serious question.

I think his point was that the vitriol from some people around weeks like this just gets out of control. I'm the same. I'm all for rivalry but it verges on ridiculous at times like this. Some people get way too wrapped up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Just looking at the remaining fixtures between us and liverpool and think its gonna come down to goal difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Lads we are one point off arsenal and two off city and have to play both at home. I don't think Liverpool are going to cause is to drop out of top four, Infact I expect them to blow up, they ain't going to keep their run up, and it's usually the smaller teams that get the better of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Be great if City finished 5th

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

kona wrote: »
    Lads we are one point off arsenal and two off city and have to play both at home. I don't think Liverpool are going to cause is to drop out of top four, Infact I expect them to blow up, they ain't going to keep their run up, and it's usually the smaller teams that get the better of them.

Not sure I agree. If anyone, it's City who are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Trilla wrote: »
    Be great if City finished 5th

The thing is that it's a distinct possibility given their current form. The competition for second place and below is going to be great to watch.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Not sure I agree. If anyone, it's City who are struggling.

Absolutely they are in the **** and pellegrini looks like a dead man walking, but I expect them to scrape it, I honestly think we will get second this year, city and arsenal won't both beat us and I can see them dropping even more points.

If I could get 3/1 or something close I'd back it with real money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

kona wrote: »
    Absolutely they are in the **** and pellegrini looks like a dead man walking, but I expect them to scrape it, I honestly think we will get second this year, city and arsenal won't both beat us and I can see them dropping even more points.

If I could get 3/1 or something close I'd back it with real money :p

United top 2 finish would be much much bigger than a 3/1 shot.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    United top 2 finish would be much much bigger than a 3/1 shot.

Happy days so!

• Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, because prior to that fluke goal and the clean sheet that came with it Liverpool beat Man city, West Ham, Spurs, Southampton, Burnley and drew with Everton away........ 16 from 18 points and than a fluke 3 points away to Swansea......as you say the momentum is 100% with Utd :)

the beauty of the draw is that both teams get a point

You obviously don't get the point I'm making

You obviously don't get the point I'm making

Oh I've no doubt you are alluding to goal difference.
    There's still 2 points between us, draw on Sunday and its still two. If we finish one point ahead of ye a bonus point for superior goal difference won't be awarded to utd to make it a draw :)

https://twitter.com/SocialRMadrid/status/577841899639291904

I don't get the 'Viva John Terry'....

RobertKK wrote: »

Could have won them the Champions League in 08 but slipped taking the pen???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

It won't decide anything or be defining? it will decide who is in fourth place come sunday evening and if its not us we are behind Liverpool with a much tougher run in and forth will look like a very tough task and Liverpool would be odds on for 4th.

Its a massive game and will decide much.

You are just being pedantic. You know what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Looked at his stats and compared them to Rojo and Smalling...Evans is the best passer of the ball...

Jones is best at interceptions but Rojo and Smalling are better when it comes to winning aerial balls, in that they win more aerial balls but Jones on a percentage basis is around equal winning near two thirds of aerial duels.
    Stats show Jones is the worst passer of the ball.

Maybe it is the poor passing that is irking me the most and the stats that show we win less games that he plays in, I will keep quiet for now, but he better not try those poor passes back to De Gea again :pac:

Where are you getting your stats from?

markc91 wrote: »
    Could have won them the Champions League in 08 but slipped taking the pen???

Video title claims it was on Sunday.

It could be over what happened back then alright.

Ronaldo on Sunday, his name being chanted at Old Trafford, booed and whistled at at the Bernabeu...

• Advertisement

Video title claims it was on Sunday.

It could be over what happened back then alright.

Ronaldo on Sunday, his name being chanted at Old Trafford, booed and whistled at at the Bernabeu...

Yeah it is over that usually sung when we play chelsea since that night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement