Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

adox wrote: »
    You are just being pedantic. You know what I meant.

Not trying to start an argument but I'm sure you meant in terms of it being one match so it won't decide top four for us on that particular day as we have other games to gather/lose points as do those around us.

I still disagree though, in terms of our remaining games its the most vital. All our remaining fixtures are cup finals now but Liverpool are atm our direct rivals for fourth and looking ahead to the run in they will remain just that as I don't think Spurs and Southampton have what it takes and I fell Arsenal will get 3rd.

They are playing well and if they leap frogged us it would give them great belief and I think we would struggle to get above them again during the run in.

A lot of the pyschological power could shift depending on Sundays result. Another good preformance and a win at Anfield would be massive for us and give us great belief in the other big games. It would be a big blow for Liverpool leaving them 5 behind us and would echo shades of them falling apart late last season and add pressure. A win for them on the other hand and the confidence is massive for them.

Yes there are other games after this one but how we feel and need to approach the other games thereafter will depend on the result on Sunday a lot.

Win our next 3 games we have a very good chance of being 2nd.
    So win v Liverpool, massive belief. Liverpool then play Arsenal the week after when we play Villa. Possibility of both teams dropping points...Or a Liverpool w.in Win vs City, and it would put us 2nd.

On the other hand a bad result Sunday adds big pressure, we could go 6th quite quickly and easily too.

Its a key game for us, a massive test and a massive game. I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

May be I am being overly negative here but I feel UTD are long overdue a hammering. And it could/should happen in the next few games.

There are only two clubs to have conceded less goals than UTD, Chelsea and Southhampton. But that is down to the keeper. Our position flatters us big time.

I could be wrong about the next couple games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

py2006 wrote: »
    May be I am being overly negative here but I feel UTD are long overdue a hammering. And it could/should happen in the next few games.

There are only two clubs to have conceded less goals than UTD, Chelsea and Southhampton. But that is down to the keeper. Our position flatters us big time.

I could be wrong about the next couple games...

No team in the league are playing brilliant all season, we are where we are because we got the points yhh our goalkeeper saved us points but that's what he is ment to do. If your going to look at it like that then Chelsea are where they are because costa scored so many goals for them in first half of season. Arsenal are where they are because Sanchez was in great form too and yaya bailed out city in a few games.
    Lets not kid our selves united have been crap but not one team in the prem league have been that great all season and that shows in the European performances. If we can pick up where we left off last game we could go on a run between now and end of season but if city keep going how they going they could be ones out of top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

"The chances of de Gea staying long term are slim.Credible voices in Madrid think he’ll start next season as RM’s number one." [Andy Mitten]

Let's hope not .... CL qualification so important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think you can put Di Maria back in, he was giving the ball away non stop in his last few games and that's the last thing we need against a high pressing team along with Carrick and Fellaini in midfield who struggle against that kind of pressing

I think Mata will keep the ball a lot better on Sunday than Di Maria will in his current form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

keith_d99 wrote: »
    "The chances of de Gea staying long term are slim.Credible voices in Madrid think he’ll start next season as RM’s number one." [Andy Mitten]

Let's hope not .... CL qualification so important

This bull**** is going to be another sneijder. Aka a heap of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

kona wrote: »
    This bull**** is going to be another sneijder. Aka a heap of bollox.

Far far from a load of bollox, if it was the contract would be signed by now.

Most It's fans will accept he is quite likely to leave this Summer especially with rumours around Bale and Varane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

dahat wrote: »
    Far far from a load of bollox, if it was the contract would be signed by now.

Most It's fans will accept he is quite likely to leave this Summer especially with rumours around Bale and Varane.
    What contract???

It's just paper ****e talk. Even if he signs a contract for 100 years he can still say he wants to leave.

It's all down to him, not the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    Video title claims it was on Sunday.

It could be over what happened back then alright.

Ronaldo on Sunday, his name being chanted at Old Trafford, booed and whistled at at the Bernabeu...

I was in the Stretford End on Sunday,Viva Ronaldo was rocking the place.The Viva Terry song takes the piss out of him slipping in the CL Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Another 'leaked' jersey:

manunited_adidas_1.jpg?itok=anINGcsB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graham Hunter thinks Ronaldo could be tempted back to Manchester. Says cracks are appearing in the relationship between Ronaldo and Bale.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/revista-de-la-liga/news/9763342/cristiano-ronaldo-and-gareth-bale-targets-for-man-utd-and-city-says-graham-hunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The stripes across the jersey take a lot away from the chev logo.. big thumbs up from me, really like it.

First jersey I've seen with the Chev logo on that I've liked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

zerks wrote: »
    Another 'leaked' jersey:

manunited_adidas_1.jpg?itok=anINGcsB

Fake most likely. Red Manc boys have seen the new jerseys and one of the few details they did reveal was the chevy logo will just be a white outline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheTownie wrote: »
    Fake most likely. Red Manc boys have seen the new jerseys and one of the few details they did reveal was the chevy logo will just be a white outline.

The coloured in logo has really grown on me. The gold just seems premium but a white outline will look good too obviously. I have high hopes for the jersey regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would love a nice home jersey for next season.

I like this seasons,but think we can still do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm just very happy we supposedly have a black kit next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm lookin forward to seeing the training gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I don't mind the Chevy Logo so much but the badge yellow and Logo gold kinda clash.

Can't see them changing the logo to white outline either. I'm not believing that till i see it.

That jersey above is lovely. I'd be delighted if it was nice and simple like that.

I don't think you can put Di Maria back in, he was giving the ball away non stop in his last few games and that's the last thing we need against a high pressing team along with Carrick and Fellaini in midfield who struggle against that kind of pressing

I think Mata will keep the ball a lot better on Sunday than Di Maria will in his current form

I totally agree with you but I think LvG will put Di Maria back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Adidas is boss; love the lines on the sleeve. Change the gold to white on the chevy logo and you are looking at one serious jersey. Would definitely buy after not buying one for about 10 years.

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's me or what, but I think all jerseys look rotten and tacky with horrible cheap material especially for 70 euro. I could never wrap my head around men saying the jersey is lovely.
    I couldn't care less what the jersey looks like. It dosent make them play any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I don't know if it's me or what, but I think all jerseys look rotten and tacky with horrible cheap material especially for 70 euro. I could never wrap my head around men saying the jersey is lovely.
    I couldn't care less what the jersey looks like. It dosent make them play any better.
    You're right about the prices, which are extortionate, as well as the bit about the players. However, I don't see anything wrong or strange about wearing and appreciating a nice football jersey, as opposed to a horrible looking one, or for that matter a tshirt or a shirt etc. I bought the blue Brazilian world cup jersey for example because I liked the colour and design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think some of them are gorgous and comfortable. Spent most of my teens wearing football jerseys. I don't anymore, but still wear them around the house or if I'm doing a bit of DIY stuff.

Granted the only public appearances my jerseys make as at five aside.

The pricing model of them though is ridiculous, and it's going to get more expensive. In Munich last year, €140 for a Long sleeve home kit with Kroos...would you go and ****e.

I believe in Madrid the homekit with Ronaldo sets you back €100, mental money.

It's no wonder people are flocking entirely to the shops that ship direct from Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Id only replace Fellaini with Mata if we had someone bigger and stronger than Herrera behind him, Herrera may grow into that in time but I think a 3 of Carrick, Herrera and Mata is too light weight

I don't think there's any issue with Herrera's strength, he's a fairly standard creative CM imo. His discipline when defending might be an issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Herrera has just gone from strength to strength in this United team. I think if anyone's position is under threat, it's Fellaini/Mata.

A Strootman-esque player will be brought in, I imagine, that offers that defensive solidity that LvG wants in midfield while still being able to move the ball about. I think Herrera offers more defensively than both Mata and Fellaini, so we'll just wait and see what happens!

Would like to see United go after Lloris if De Gea leaves, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd rather Cech

I really don't buy De Gea moving to Real at all.

Not only has there been comments about how he feels really valued at United, and has seen his game come on leaps and bounds while at the club, he has been very open in the past about how he could never see himself play for Real Madrid.

The only possible issue he could have, is being overlooked for the Spain squad while Iker is still at Madrid. But considering how he has been in dire form last season, during the World Cup, and continued being dire this year, his reputation is only on the up in the current situation.

Valdes calling De Gea the best in the world helps too.

I genuinely don't see the logic in him moving in the summer, I don't believe he will, and I think comments here about "most fans accept that he will move" totally misplaced.

Have a feeling journalists are way off the ball on this one.

The only logic I could see, is if it was a weight in getting Ronaldo back to the club. Even then I'd be probably annoyed. De Gea has turned into an absolute top quality goal keeper. He arrived already an unorthodox keeper with great talent and after grinding through a difficult period has come out the other side as a world class goalkeeper. They are surprisingly hard to find.

As a fan I'd be absolutely up in arms if he was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Sounds like this could make for a great game!
    Van der Sar confirmed for Legends clash

Edwin van der Sar will complete a much-welcomed return to Old Trafford on 14 June to appear for Manchester United Legends against Bayern Munich All Stars in the Red Heart United charity match.

The former Netherlands no.1 forged a reputation as one of the greatest goalkeepers in Reds history during his six seasons at the club and will don the gloves once again during this summer's eagerly-anticipated family event.

Van der Sar, now 44, has previously featured in Soccer Aid matches at Old Trafford and also appeared in the Legends clash with Real Madrid in 2013, before Tomasz Kuszczak kept goal for the first fixture against Bayern last summer.

"I'm really pleased Edwin will come across," said manager Bryan Robson. "Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, Paul Scholes, Phil Neville, Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Quinton Fortune and Denis Irwin too. The squad's coming together quite nicely and I'm happy with it."

During Tuesday's press conference, Bayern boss Paul Breitner reeled off a number of names he will have in his squad - Giovani Elber, Niko and Robert Kovac, Roy Makaay, Paulo Sergio, Michael Tarnat, Mark van Bommel, Daniel van Buyten and Dietmar Hamann.

Breitner also announced Owen Hargreaves could feature for both teams as Ruud van Nistelrooy did in the Real Madrid Legends encounter.

How long before Hargreaves goes off injured? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I'd rather Fraser Forester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

haben't been on this thread as much as I used to be so I don't know if this has been posted up since the Spurs game - Ander Herrera clips from the match. Some lovely pieces of play and touches. I reckon he is a fantastic player - hope he can carve himself out an important place in PVGs squad. For all the world around christmas it looked like his United career was dead before it even started.

http://beautifullyred.co.uk/2015/03/16/the-ander-herrera-show-versus-spurs-his-best-gifs-from-the-game/

Number 6 is my favourite, nice tackle and a lovely pass.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Would like to see United go after Lloris if De Gea leaves, too.

From what I have seen on the fanzine sites, Lloris is the no.1 target to replace De Gea.

My big issue with that is that we would be replacing a keeper Madrid want, who would only have 12 months on his contract, with a player from Spurs.

That is a transfer NIGHTMARE. We'll prob end up spending twice on Lloris than we get for DDG, if we manage to get Lloris at all.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think some of them are gorgous and comfortable. Spent most of my teens wearing football jerseys. I don't anymore, but still wear them around the house or if I'm doing a bit of DIY stuff.

The pricing model of them though is ridiculous, and it's going to get more expensive. In Munich last year, €140 for a Long sleeve home kit with Kroos...would you go and ****e.

It's no wonder people are flocking entirely to the shops that ship direct from Asia.
    yeah, when I was in Madrid for the derby last season I thought I'd pick myself up a couple of relatively cheap jerseys. NOPE.

100 for the Real top with a name on it, 110 for an Atletico top with a name. (in their respective club shops)

Couldn't believe the prices!

Getting transfer targets from fanzine sites and treating it as the truth is not the best idea Mitch. How would they know? Speculating like us and any other person.
    I'm the same as doc, just don't believe it, looks more like an exercise in clickbait and selling papers because man utd are in bad season shocker and the best player is leaving because Spain only scout Madrid and if he wants to be Spain's number 1 he has to play for Madrid. It's complete bollox. Not to mention an other reason that is thrown out is that the fans want a spainish keeper. Yeah Madrid fans are logical alright.

Also thinking Herreras career was over 6 months into his career is niaive thinking.

TheDoc wrote: »

I'm probably biased but I hate seeing adults outside in public wearing tracksuits and jerseys.

Probably being from limerick and living in the city dosent help that. They just have negative conoctations in my view, same as air max, joop, an Burberry.

Getting transfer targets from fanzine sites and treating it as the truth is not the best idea Mitch. How would they know? Speculating like us and any other person. .

I disagree, and I've been over why many times in the past.

Just because YOU don't know anything, doesn't mean other people do not. People like Andy Mitten who works for Four Four Two, who interviews many Spanish players - such as DDG, Herrera - who regularly interacts with the agents of players at Madrid, Barcelona, United. Or Philip De Bruin (i think thats his name) who works for a radio station in America that has handled press for United's US tours and has met with, and spoken directly too, Ed Woodward. Or how people at the fanzines would have a good working relationship with people like Daniel Taylor (one of the most respected people with regads United news)

Yeah, there is no way people who make their living from football could possibly have any clue as to what goes on in football. NONE. Because you think everyone lies about football all the time. NONE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

rightyabe wrote: »
    I'd rather Fraser Forester

Not good enough, doesn't command his box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hargreaves shouldn't feature for United, he's been nothing but bitter since he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Begovic anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Need to make De Gea the highest paid player in the world and give Madrid a big two fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Need to make De Gea the highest paid player in the world and give Madrid a big two fingers.

highest paid goalkeeper I think you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As long as they're not De Gea's!

(allthough Madrid might pay a pretty sum for them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Begovic anyone?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    highest paid goalkeeper I think you mean

I meant what I said.

I'm probably biased but I hate seeing adults outside in public wearing tracksuits and jerseys.

Probably being from limerick and living in the city dosent help that. They just have negative conoctations in my view, same as air max, joop, an Burberry.

I don't wear jerseys anymore going about day to day, but 100% still wear tracksuits. Find jeans utterly uncomfortable, and only wear them when I'm going " out out".

I may be a Dad of six months, but to **** am I converting immediately to shirts tucked into jeans and proper shoes, NEVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Give De Gea what he wants, I don't think he'll move this summer but next summer is a real possibility if we arent challenging for trophies at home and in Europe again, by next summer he'll be turning 26 and I don't think he'll want to spend his time in a transitioning team when he's coming into his prime and can walk into the Barca and Madrid teams

I meant what I said.

so he earns currently 70k a week and you would be happy to pay him 390k a week?

bangkok wrote: »
    so he earns currently 70k a week and you would be happy to pay him 390k a week?

Let's make it an even 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Begovic anyone?

Handy for a Hoofball goal or two!

Let's make it an even 500

sure feck it, just give him a cool 1million a week

From what I have seen on the fanzine sites, Lloris is the no.1 target to replace De Gea.

My big issue with that is that we would be replacing a keeper Madrid want, who would only have 12 months on his contract, with a player from Spurs.

That is a transfer NIGHTMARE. We'll prob end up spending twice on Lloris than we get for DDG, if we manage to get Lloris at all.

already have valdes if de gea does go so we wouldn't be paying spurs anything

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement