Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    it a fact of life im afraid and no matter how good a goalkeeper is, he will never be recognised as one of the top earners in the world

What if....................for 90 minutes the goalkeeper did circuits around his box whilst the ball was in the oppositions half and he racked up 12KM a game, would you consider it then..............................:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

What if....................for 90 minutes the goalkeeper did circuits around his box whilst the ball was in the oppositions half and he racked up 12KM a game, would you consider it then..............................:eek:

12k of pointless running... I would send him to a psychiatrist :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I now have a vision of professional footballers handing in paperwork like sales reps for mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well if you want to measure it that way, not sure there is 3 million people making a living as a professional goal keeper.

Fifa estimates 265 million people play football
    Lets assume 1/11th prefer Keeper ,so 24 Million keepers , and top 3 would make him 1 in 8 Million

Well in that case, we must ensure we are more careful with our idioms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    I now have a vision of professional footballers handing in paperwork like sales reps for mileage.

There has been some good insight into the changing mentality of how managers and staff rate player performance, and how players rate themselves. Secret footballer touched on it, but the best insight came from an article a friend linked me, will try dig it out.

But kinda did a week in the life of, of a coach operating with Sevilla in La Liga. The guys who ran data analysis would come in on the Monday morning early, and run the numbers on the weekend game and provide it to the management team, but at the managers request, they would also print out some key stats and pin them up on the wall on the walk out to the training ground.

He said the clamor was always to see the ground covered stats. They thought it was players seeing who was lazy and that it would be grounds for a laugh in the dressing room, but then quickly noticed that it was actually players seeing how they compare to each other, and it would be used as a metric when it came to things like discussing a player omission, or contract negotiations.

Really insightful stuff, must try dig it out.

Secret Footballer if you ever read those (worth it, some decent stuff) had some good chapters on statistics, and how they were treated in the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

he is a goalkeeper at the end of the day, yes he saves goals, he stops the opposition from scoring goals.. is probably 1 of the most important positions on the field but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Manuel Neuer earns 6.25m a year
    Peter Cech 5.2m
    Thibaut Courtois 3m

to suggest that de gea should be offered 20m per season is just crazy

FYP for you
    You can't save goals...
    If its a goal there's nothing you can do about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Is it just me or has Hamilton being calling Suarez Sanchez all night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is it just me or has Hamilton being calling Suarez Sanchez all night?

Yes,has said it a good few times :D

All the de gea talk today, have to save joe hart was unbelievable tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Carlos Tevez was sensational tonight. 2 great strikes and an assist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not that keen on Hummels anymore (I was never really into him either tbh). He has been woeful this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

brinty wrote: »
    FYP for you
    You can't save goals...
    If its a goal there's nothing you can do about it..

Yes he does, more times than not he saves the goal hes standing in front of him from the ball going into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Yes he does, more times than not he saves the goal hes standing in front of him from the ball going into it

He can save a certain goal but he cant save goals.

Unless its like schrodingers goal, where untill he makes the save it is both a goal and not a goal

De Gea does consistently make saves that the majority of keepers would not make. That's why he is world class along with Neuer and Courtois.

If I was in charge of our summer rebuilding I would offload Falcoa , Rafael, Jones, Mata and if di maria's heart wasn't in it I would sell him too, I have never been a massive fan of Di Maria, he was very good last year but in a 433 and the flanking forward on either side he simply doesn't score enough goals compared to robben, sanchez bale or reus.I am perfectly happy to start next season with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini as our central 3, we are going to need a replacement for carrick soon enough but for the time being he is still very good, miles better than blind who I actually only consider a squad player, the main priorities for me are a right back, a centre half and flanking forwards for rooney if di maria goes, I think reus /bale/ griezmann would be great signings for those positions as robben is too old, I would not sign Ronaldo back because he's too old for the cost involved plus he would want rooneys position as the focal forward in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If I was in charge of our summer rebuilding I would offload Falcoa , Rafael, Jones, Mata and if di maria's heart wasn't in it I would sell him too, I have never been a massive fan of Di Maria, he was very good last year but in a 433 and the flanking forward on either side he simply doesn't score enough goals compared to robben, sanchez bale or reus.I am perfectly happy to start next season with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini as our central 3, we are going to need a replacement for carrick soon enough but for the time being he is still very good, miles better than blind who I actually only consider a squad player, the main priorities for me are a right back, a centre half and flanking forwards for rooney if di maria goes, I think reus /bale/ griezmann would be great signings for those positions as robben is too old, I would not sign Ronaldo back because he's too old for the cost involved plus he would want rooneys position as the focal forward in the team

Di Maria was never really a goal scorer in fairness.

Di Maria was never really a goal scorer in fairness.

I never said he was and its why Id prefer different players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never said he was and its why Id prefer different players

If we replace him with another world class player who has a poor start will you want him replaced too.

Nowhere besides cloud cuckoo land should anybody be talking about wanting rid of Di Maria.

Reus could possibly be a better option. Sanchez probably would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Di Maria will come good given time. Champions League MOTM. Calm down.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If we replace him with another world class player who has a poor start will you want him replaced too.

Nowhere besides cloud cuckoo land should anybody be talking about wanting rid of Di Maria.

It has nothing to do with his poor start, he just doesn't score enough goals and never has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It has nothing to do with his poor start, he just doesn't score enough goals and never has

You do realise their is more to midfielders than scoring goals, its not actually their main job.

Who are all these prolific scoring midfielders we can realistically sign to replace all our midfielders.I presume if you want rid of Di Maria you want everyone else gone also by your criteria. We won't need any strikers either because our midfielders score instead of creating.

Could opt for a 4-6-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Di Maria was always known for his assists and speed at stretching teams and as bad as he is this season his assist stats are right up there with best in league.
    He is going threw a slow spell he will get over I and continue what he was doing start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Memphis Depay at it again on twitter, implying how he feels about a move to liverpool...

He favourited a tweet which said:

https://twitter.com/Rocketic/status/578238692768280576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jayo26 wrote: »
    Di Maria was always known for his assists and speed at stretching teams and as bad as he is this season his assist stats are right up there with best in league.
    He is going threw a slow spell he will get over I and continue what he was doing start of the season.

He hasn't been near as bad as people are making out either imo. Had 1 and a half really terrible games but other than that he hasn't been nearly the terribly out of form player people will tell you he's been, still makes a telling difference even when he's not at the races and that's the sign of a top player.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    He hasn't been near as bad as people are making out either imo. Had 1 and a half really terrible games but other than that he hasn't been nearly the terribly out of form player people will tell you he's been, still makes a telling difference even when he's not at the races and that's the sign of a top player.

Yhh he hasn't been that bad but problem is for 60 million your not allowed have quiet spells, but saying that its similar to Mata people will say Mata hasn't been affective too but he has got a goals when he has been in team properly.

Dunphy gold last night -

"You look at Manchester United, a marquee club in England, their go to guy is Fellaini, if you took Fellaini to Barcelona or Real Madrid they'd think he was a circus act"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Fellaini gets such a hard time because he isn't some dainty little pretty footballer with slicked back hair.

I think it has reached a point where anybody with those beliefs should be labelled a spoofer. What more does he have to do to prove he isn't a 'circus act'

And why am I explaining this to Bangkok quoting dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dunphy gold last night -

"You look at Manchester United, a marquee club in England, their go to guy is Fellaini, if you took Fellaini to Barcelona or Real Madrid they'd think he was a circus act"

#WelldoneFellaini

The Fellani remark isn't that far fetched. He wouldn't even be considered by Barca, Bayern or Real. He can play a role at Utd but then again we're fighting for a champions league place in a league which has no teams in the quarters. It tells its own story.

• Advertisement

lads at the end of the day, fellaini is doing a good job for us this season to be fair to him, but we are a team that is only challenging for a top 4 position, out of the fa cup and league cup with no Europe to contend.

If you are a team with ambitions to challenge for the league and champions league im sorry fellaini is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah, you can give Felliani credit for coming out of his slump and having an effective season, but the suggestion that he wouldn't get near the Barca or Madrid teams is unfortunately very accurate. Whats the point in pretending otherwise?

K4t wrote: »
    The Fellani remark isn't that far fetched. He wouldn't even be considered by Barca, Bayern or Real. He can play a role at Utd but then again we're fighting for a champions league place in a league which has no teams in the quarters. It tells its own story.

you just got there before me :pac:

As if there were nobody playing for Real or Barca who wouldn't be sought by United. It's almost like they have different requirements and circumstances.

lads at the end of the day, fellaini is doing a good job for us this season to be fair to him, but we are a team that is only challenging for a top 4 position, out of the fa cup and league cup with no Europe to contend.

If you are a team with ambitions to challenge for the league and champions league im sorry fellaini is not good enough.

Pretty weird that he had destroyed other top teams in the past so.

But fair enough barca and them probably wouldn't use him as effectively like us and obviously have better options in the final third. If di Maria, rvp, falcao weren't playing awful, Fellaini wouldn't be playing, but he had been one of our best players this season.

If bayern and them only had one good attacking player right now, he would fit in well.

Watch him get man of the match this weekend now.

• I'm convinced that Bangkok and Gowl are the same person :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm convinced that Bangkok and Gowl are the same person :P

With serious mental problems.

Pretty weird that he had destroyed other top teams in the past so.

But fair enough barca and them probably wouldn't use him as effectively like us and obviously have better options in the final third. If di Maria, rvp, falcao weren't playing awful, Fellaini wouldn't be playing, but he had been one of our best players this season.

If bayern and them only had one good attacking player right now, he would fit in well.

Watch him get man of the match this weekend now.

Like who?

only for he got injured at the start of the season he would have been playing in Napoli right now. Fair play to him for coming back and proving doubters wrong, but if you are looking to win the league next season, or compete in the champions league he is not good enough. End of

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm convinced that Bangkok and Gowl are the same person :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Dunphy gold last night -

Yeah, but then Barca go and buy players like Vermaelen and Mathieu and you find yourself questioning everything you know.

• Advertisement

Fellaini has done more than Yaya Toure 2 of the last 3 seasons. One gets called the best CM in the league while the other a lump. But sure Toure even would never have gotten in the Barcelona or Real teams...oh wait. You'd almost think there was an agenda against Fellaini but that would be ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Regarding Fellani someone summed it up perfectly for me on red cafe 'I've no idea how he is starting for us,never mind
    how he has become so integral to our style of play'. He's doing a job for us at the minute but hope we can use him more sparingly next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fellaini has done more than Yaya Toure 2 of the last 3 seasons. One gets called the best CM in the league while the other a lump. But sure Toure even would never have gotten in the Barcelona or Real teams...oh wait. You'd almost think there was an agenda against Fellaini but that would be ridiculous.

Toure is getting plenty of stick these days but thats not really the point anyway. You can be all fake outrage about Felliani if you want but the original point will still remain, there is no agenda, just a realistic appraisal of the player and the current standard at this club.

Toure is getting plenty of stick these days but thats not really the point anyway. You can be all fake outrage about Felliani if you want but the original point will still remain, there is no agenda, just a realistic appraisal of the player and the current standard at this club.

How is it realistic? Name me one player who has been the best outfielder at at a top 4 contender who gets nearly as much criticism? It's ridiculous that people have watched him all season and not seen the quality he has brought and believe it or not, in terms of passing and shooting and not just being a lump...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He has? If you would actually think about what you're saying here you would know it's rubbish

How is it realistic? Name me one player who has been the best outfielder at at a top 4 contender who gets nearly as much criticism? It's ridiculous that people have watched him all season and not seen the quality he has brought and believe it or not, in terms of passing and shooting and not just being a lump...

Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dunphy gold last night -

The problem with this quote is that we bought one of Real's go-to guys for 60m and he hasn't been able to displace the circus act.

RasTa wrote: »
    He has? If you would actually think about what you're saying here you would know it's rubbish

Fellani was in prem team of the season his last year with Everton and second half of this season he is back on track with us,
    Fellani would never be sought by real or barca that's true he wouldn't get near Bayern either but I tell ya one thing right now he is our player and I'm damn glad he is ours and he is going to be taking lumps out of Liverpool Thu Sunday, he may not be flashy or spectacular but I guarantee Liverpool will be thinking of a way of how they gonna handle him,

Rooney?

Rooney hasn't had as much of an impact as Fellaini this season and I'd be willing to bet that results prove it.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Fellani was in prem team of the season his last year with Everton and second half of this season he is back on track with us,
    Fellani would never be sought by real or barca that's true he wouldn't get near Bayern either but I tell ya one thing right now he is our player and I'm damn glad he is ours and he is going to be taking lumps out of Liverpool Thu Sunday, he may not be flashy or spectacular but I guarantee Liverpool will be thinking of a way of how they gonna handle him,

this is why he is not united standard....

also prem team of the season? no he was not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement