Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The Fellaini ridicule is silly. He should be forming a cult status with the club. If bleedin Dirk Kuyt can be lauded by Liverpool fans, we can laud an actual functioning player.

To say he is not "a United player" is also ridiculous. He gives everything when he is on the pitch, and takes absolutely zero **** from anyone.

I wouldn't mind it's not like he gets balls pinged to him and he does aimless knockdowns that no one latches onto, THE GUY ****ING TAKES BALLS DOWN ON HIS CHEST FENDING OFF TWO PEOPLE AND LAYS OF LOVELY LITTLE TOUCHES

I've no problem with him being in the team, and I laugh at people who slag him or the team of for using him. He has wonderful technical ability that simply get's overlooked and he provides a proposition that we have seen now for a while, that opposition teams simply can't handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    this is why he is not united standard....

also prem team of the season? no he was not

So taking lumps out people isn't united standard? Tell that to your clichéd United way of keane and co and the arsenal game when arsenal were on the 49 and unbeaten streak.

Reyes is still limping to this day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So taking lumps out people isn't united standard? Tell that to your clichéd United way of keane and co and the arsenal game when arsenal were on the 49 and unbeaten streak.

Reyes is still limping to this day

don't even try and compare roy keane and fellaini. I asked you earlier what top teams did he destroy and you still haven't come back with an answer, because the answer is **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

don't even try and compare roy keane and fellaini. I asked you earlier what top teams did he destroy and you still haven't come back with an answer, because the answer is **** all

ManUtd in the 4-4 draw and every single game against United.
    He did well against City too.

Both playing for Everton though.

I was comparing them hitting into people.

I can add vidic as well if you want.

Probably because I'm not gonna bother me hole doing research for you. He had been man of the match a few times, against spurs he was as well. I'm sure many people thought they would finish above us

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    The Fellaini ridicule is silly. He should be forming a cult status with the club. If bleedin Dirk Kuyt can be lauded by Liverpool fans, we can laud an actual functioning player.

To say he is not "a United player" is also ridiculous. He gives everything when he is on the pitch, and takes absolutely zero **** from anyone.

I wouldn't mind it's not like he gets balls pinged to him and he does aimless knockdowns that no one latches onto, THE GUY ****ING TAKES BALLS DOWN ON HIS CHEST FENDING OFF TWO PEOPLE AND LAYS OF LOVELY LITTLE TOUCHES

I've no problem with him being in the team, and I laugh at people who slag him or the team of for using him. He has wonderful technical ability that simply get's overlooked and he provides a proposition that we have seen now for a while, that opposition teams simply can't handle.

iniesta, neymar, toni kroos, cesc fabregas, david silva etc have wonderful technical ability, fellaini does not.

also dirk kuyt is lauded by Liverpool fans as he was a great player for them, scored 71 goals for them and a hat trick v united. Fellaini has the grand the total of 5 goals in a united shirt, ZERO goals last season.

He made a ****ing holy show of Fabregas, when he was in unstoppable form. Not only does he do a good job offensively, he can do a pretty mean defensive job as well.

also dirk kuyt is lauded by Liverpool fans as he was a great player for them, scored 71 goals for them and a hat trick v united. Fellaini has the grand the total of 5 goals in a united shirt, ZERO goals last season.

You can't even read wikipedia correctly

He scored 51 goals for Liverpool in six years. He was such a horrendous striker in the Premier league he was converted into a winger that just "ran a lot" and every now and then chipped in with a goal.

Fellaini had serious injury last year, and again the first half of this season. Granted he might not be a longterm member of the first team, but operating at the level he has been recently, and if he can maintain that, he is a double figure goalscorer easily.

He made a ****ing holy show of Fabregas, when he was in unstoppable form. Not only does he do a good job offensively, he can do a pretty mean defensive job as well.

ah stop, "made a ****ing holy show of Fabregas" what did he do stopped fabregas from trying to play football? unstoppable form?!

You can't even read wikipedia correctly

He scored 51 goals for Liverpool in six years. He was such a horrendous striker in the Premier league he was converted into a winger that just "ran a lot" and every now and then chipped in with a goal.

Fellaini had serious injury last year, and again the first half of this season. Granted he might not be a longterm member of the first team, but operating at the level he has been recently, and if he can maintain that, he is a double figure goalscorer easily.

51 league goals, 71 goals in total 15 in the champions league as well, think you need to read it again correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »
    How is it realistic? Name me one player who has been the best outfielder at at a top 4 contender who gets nearly as much criticism? It's ridiculous that people have watched him all season and not seen the quality he has brought and believe it or not, in terms of passing and shooting and not just being a lump...

You and others are confusing realistic appraisal with criticism.

Felliani has done ok recently but people shouldn't get too carried away, I certainly don't mind having him at the club and he provides certain valuable options, but lets not overstate his impact.

Comparisons with Kuyt seem very apt actually. Kuyt was indeed a cult hero who performed brilliantly for his club, but I bet Liverpool fans still would have preferred to have a better quality player there. Kuty helped them to be top four contenders, a better player might have helped them win a title.

So what do we want to be? Top four contenders? Because Felliani will certainly help us do that. But do we want to win titles and European trophies as well? Then we will need better.

Can't believe there are still complaints about Fellaini, in a team full of technical players with almost non existent physical presence he offers complete different dimension. You need players like him to compliment physically weak players.

Pep played Martinez as #10 and lumped the ball forward to escape Dortmund pressing, that was viewed as tactical genius. If Fellaini offers more than RVP and Falcao as attacker then it's a not an issue to play him with Rooney.

You and others are confusing realistic appraisal with criticism.

Felliani has done ok recently but people shouldn't get too carried away, I certainly don't mind having him at the club and he provides certain valuable options, but lets not overstate his impact.

Comparisons with Kuyt seem very apt actually. Kuyt was indeed a cult hero who performed brilliantly for his club, but I bet Liverpool fans still would have preferred to have a better quality player there. Kuty helped them to be top four contenders, a better player might have helped them win a title.

So what do we want to be? Top four contenders? Because Felliani will certainly help us do that. But do we want to win titles and European trophies as well? Then we will need better.

We won PL title with Cleverley as our midfielder, Fellaini is a huge upgrade on him. James Milner is not a superstar but played his role in 2 league titles. Mikel has won PL titles with Chelsea as first team players playing most games.

You can't win PL title and make it to CL final with O'Shea as your defender but we did.

1 player won't decide whether we win league or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

At the start of the season I doubt anyone on here wanted fellani near the first team and now he's better than Yaya... Good Lord.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    We won PL title with Cleverley as our midfielder, Fellaini is a huge upgrade on him. James Milner is not a superstar but played his role in 2 league titles. Mikel has won PL titles with Chelsea as first team players playing most games.

You can't win PL title and make it to CL final with O'Shea as your defender but we did.

1 player won't decide whether we win league or not.

I never said otherwise, and a performing Felliani is a very good option for us to have.

I never said otherwise, and a performing Felliani is a very good option for us to have.

You sort of did.
    Kuty helped them to be top four contenders, a better player might have helped them win a title.

So what do we want to be? Top four contenders? Because Felliani will certainly help us do that. But do we want to win titles and European trophies as well? Then we will need better

Not saying we will win PL titles and CL with Fellaini as our key player but Fellaini is not the reason we are not winning, if anything he is one of the reason why we are 4th in the table.

Btw when RVP is back what do you prefer? Rooney playing as #10 with RVP leading the line or same line up as we did against Spurs?

You sort of did.

Not saying we will win PL titles and CL with Fellaini as our key player but Fellaini is not the reason we are not winning, if anything he is one of the reason why we are 4th in the table.

exactly, that is his level, if you want to aim higher (winning the league) or higher again (champions league) fellaini will be at best a go to guy from the bench for the last 10mins to launch a few high balls into him when you are chasing a game

exactly, that is his level, if you want to aim higher (winning the league) or higher again (champions league) fellaini will be at best a go to guy from the bench for the last 10mins to launch a few high balls into him when you are chasing a game

Nonsense.

Absolute gobobbles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Btw when RVP is back what do you prefer? Rooney playing as #10 with RVP leading the line or same line up as we did against Spurs?

on the bench shouldnt be anywere near the team at the minute not playing well at all this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Teams that press high play Fellaini, teams that park the bus play Mata at 10, and Fellaini and RVP can be impact subs if 0-0 with 20 to go. How strong the opposition players are might dictate Fellaini playing from the start v park the bus teams too.

I'm not saying that he is the reason we aren't winning, I fully appreciate the benefits he brings. The issue is a dependency on him, he should be an option to use rather than a first choice, because if he is first choice then there really is a limit to our ambitions.

I suspect LVG would agree with me btw, Liam called him our best outfielder, which is strange considering he has only started 3 league games since the middle of December, with only 3 sub appearances in January and February. He hasn't even been a regular for us to this point.

We should be playing one striker and that striker should be Rooney, but then I've been saying that since the start of the season.

only for that ankle injury at the start of the year he would be playing with Rafa and Napoli and would have gone down as the biggest flop in Man Utd history.

4 league goals later in the season, he is doing a job, had a decent few games but lets not kid ourselves here, he is very limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini is probably in the top 10ish midfielders in the league in reality, he isn't going to win us champions leagues, partner him with a top quality midfielder and there is no problem with challenging for league titles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fellaini is a great option for away games and for big games. I would love Mata to recapture his Chelsea form but it's not happening.

Right now Fellaini is offering more than everyone besides Rooney and deserves his place on the team.

The fact Bangkok had to wait a few days after his man of the match performance the weekend says it all really about his agenda.

Our best performance of the season with Fellaini as man of the match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I sometimes wonder do you and I watch the same games. I genuinely do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This thread is like one viscous cycle, it always ends up on a negative spin about any player that happens to be the topic of conversation at that moment of time and a few people trying to defend them.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder do you and I watch the same games. I genuinely do.

I wonder do they watch football full stop.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    This thread is like one viscous cycle, it always ends up on a negative spin about any player that happens to be the topic of conversation at that moment of time and a few people trying to defend them.

Which is very strange considering the incredibly high performance levels and the unprecedented success we have enjoyed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    At the start of the season I doubt anyone on here wanted fellani near the first team and now he's better than Yaya... Good Lord.

Give over. I've never seen anyone say anything even close to this on here ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liam O wrote: »
    Fellaini has done more than Yaya Toure 2 of the last 3 seasons. One gets called the best CM in the league while the other a lump. But sure Toure even would never have gotten in the Barcelona or Real teams...oh wait. You'd almost think there was an agenda against Fellaini but that would be ridiculous.
    Give over. I've never seen anyone say anything even close to this on here ever.

Like 12 posts ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its a fair point to say a team like Barca, Real or Bayern would most likely would not have a Fellaini.

But that does not mean to say he is a poor player and not have a impact. Personally, he is underrated. He is not a World class but a very underrated player.

He been one of our better players and his impact has been better then he being credited for too.

This girl is claiming Pereira offered her £10,000 for a threesome with himself and McNair.

Kelly-McKinney.jpg

10k?
    I'd let Warnock and Allardyce mount me for that. Easy money

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/manchester-united-midfielder-andreas-pereira-offered-student-10000-for-a-threesome-with-him-and-teammate-paddy-mcnair-10119260.html

RasTa wrote: »
    Like 12 posts ago

Done more than was the quote. Nobody said he was better overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Its a fair point to say a team like Barca, Real or Bayern would most likely would not have a Fellaini.

But that does not mean to say he is a poor player and not have a impact. Personally, he is underrated. He is not a World class but a very underrated player.

He been one of our better players and his impact has been better then he being credited for too.

Think he's underrated by some which leads to him being overrated by others.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This girl is claiming Pereira offered her £10,000 for a threesome with himself and McNair.

10k?
    I'd let Warnock and Allardyce mount me for that. Easy money

What about Iain Dowie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Done more than was the quote. Nobody said he was better overall.

He said he has performed better which is crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

How's Nani doing in Portugal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Just seen this on Facebook. I'll be pissed off if he leaves in the Summer.

Fellaini is doing exactly what De Gea did at the start, making mistakes and now becoming a monster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sure remember when Carrick wasnt good enough for the midfield, we had "no midfield" and yet won the league and CL?

Every player doesnt have to be a ultra skillful player with fantastic vision and low centre of gravity. Its a team game and there needs to be a balance in a team. Fellaini adds a presence and a steal to the team and an out ball too when needed. While some are no doubt over estimating him on here, he still has very good technical ability etc. and its ultra lazy to stereo type him because he is tall.

Its such a nonsense to say Utd wont win the league with Fellaini in the team. Of all the isssues the team have had this season, Fellaini hasnt been one of them and its utterly bizzare that certain posters seem intent on picking him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RasTa wrote: »
    He said he has performed better which is crazy talk.

But...Fellaini has done more for United this season than Yay Toure has done for City. That's not crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wonder do they watch football full stop.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not saying the thread is full of poorly disguised trolls, but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

So we're debating Fellaini today over a quote from Eamonn Dunphy.

Eamonn Dunphy.

This is the same guy who called Ronaldo a nothing player for years and now goes on about how great he is.

The Fellaini quote was supposed to be over the top. That's what Dunphy does.

Fellaini is having a good season and he's putting in some excellent performances for us. He might not get into the Barca team but that doesn't matter. You can't always have a team of superstars. Players like Fellaini are very useful and are needed in a team.

Which is very strange considering the incredibly high performance levels and the unprecedented success we have enjoyed recently.

Ahh I understand that but we have just put in the performance of season and have one of the biggest games of the season coming up and all that happens is we debate on how bad a player is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I still see Fellaini as a good option in the squad, but not much more than that. The fact he is currently important to our style of play actually annoys me a little - I wish we could effectively play a more attractive and intelligent style of football rather than hit the big man and work off the second ball.

Fellaini is an excellent Plan B player for us, imo. Though at the moment that plan b is our only real plan - thats my problem.

I also think his performances have been overrated a good bit. He makes a nuisance of himself in the oppo box, but as a midfielder I feel he gives away too many free kicks and doesn't use the ball all that creatively. I expect more from a United central midfielder than to be a good target for a high ball.

Ahh I understand that but we have just put in the performance of season and have one of the biggest games of the season coming up and all that happens is we debate on how bad a player is.

I have repeatedly said that he is doing well and is a good option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Are you actually being serious?

The man clearly is arguing that Fellaini is one of the reasons we are 4th as opposed to being 6th or 7th, and you completely flip that to make it out like he has put us 4th as opposed to 1st or 2nd!

Last week was our most important game of the season so far, and we pulled out our performance of the season with Fellaini the driving force, comfortably winning MOTM for his general play and contribution (correct me if I'm wrong but i don't remember a bookinfng for him or any cynical fouls either).

Yet some people refuse to acknowledge this or any of his other great performances this year because it doesn't fit the narrative they formed last year where they judged a player mainly be how social media was treating him, because unfortunately a lot of football fans these days aren't capable of using a bit of independent thought .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Kelly McKinney making a name for herself

What rubbish

I still see Fellaini as a good option in the squad, but not much more than that. The fact he is currently important to our style of play actually annoys me a little - I wish we could effectively play a more attractive and intelligent style of football rather than hit the big man and work off the second ball.

Fellaini is an excellent Plan B player for us, imo. Though at the moment that plan b is our only real plan - thats my problem.

I also think his performances have been overrated a good bit. He makes a nuisance of himself in the oppo box, but as a midfielder I feel he gives away too many free kicks and doesn't use the ball all that creatively. I expect more from a United central midfielder than to be a good target for a high ball.

thank you, couldn't have put it better myself. Describing his performance v Chelsea earlier in the season as "unstoppable" like come on seriously. Messi in the first half last night v city was unstoppable.

You'd swear he was smashing all sorts or records or something, he has scored 4 league goals and assisted 2.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement