Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Are you actually being serious?

The man clearly is arguing that Fellaini is one of the reasons we are 4th as opposed to being 6th or 7th, and you completely flip that to make it out like he has put us 4th as opposed to 1st or 2nd!

Last week was our most important game of the season so far, and we pulled out our performance of the season with Fellaini the driving force, comfortably winning MOTM for his general play and contribution (correct me if I'm wrong but i don't remember a bookinfng for him or any cynical fouls either).

Yet some people refuse to acknowledge this or any of his other great performances this year because it doesn't fit the narrative they formed last year where they judged a player mainly be how social media was treating him, because unfortunately a lot of football fans these days aren't capable of using a bit of independent thought .

im not sure who got man of the match, I think it was him, rooney def won the man Utd man of the match on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I still see Fellaini as a good option in the squad, but not much more than that. The fact he is currently important to our style of play actually annoys me a little - I wish we could effectively play a more attractive and intelligent style of football rather than hit the big man and work off the second ball.

Fellaini is an excellent Plan B player for us, imo. Though at the moment that plan b is our only real plan - thats my problem.

I also think his performances have been overrated a good bit. He makes a nuisance of himself in the oppo box, but as a midfielder I feel he gives away too many free kicks and doesn't use the ball all that creatively. I expect more from a United central midfielder than to be a good target for a high ball.

Just goes to show how so many people can watch the exact same thing unfold, but take away totally separate things from it.

A big part of that BLISTERING first half pressure and play, was from Fellaini pushing up high from the start, and working the ball quickly. It's not a sin for someone to find him with a ball, but he was taking it down on his chest, into feet, neat lay off.

And actually just as much was playing lovely interplay and exchanges to feet, and pressing Spurs high.

I thought he fitted fine into the fast stuff Herrera and Mata were playing on the ground, and there seems to be something there between him and Rooney. They seem to have a pretty good understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I still see Fellaini as a good option in the squad, but not much more than that. The fact he is currently important to our style of play actually annoys me a little - I wish we could effectively play a more attractive and intelligent style of football rather than hit the big man and work off the second ball.

Fellaini is an excellent Plan B player for us, imo. Though at the moment that plan b is our only real plan - thats my problem.

I also think his performances have been overrated a good bit. He makes a nuisance of himself in the oppo box, but as a midfielder I feel he gives away too many free kicks and doesn't use the ball all that creatively. I expect more from a United central midfielder than to be a good target for a high ball.

It was plan A against Spurs at the weekend and Fellaini was crucial in that first half and helped set the tempo. Utd can play fellaini and not be a long/high ball team!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder do you and I watch the same games. I genuinely do.

yes I give credit to fellaini, he played very well against spurs, as did the whole team. Spurs were also awful in the game, as Roy Keane would say you can always count on spurs to let you down.

I will stand by what I said though, if United have aspirations of getting back to the top fellaini will not be a part of that. I stand by what I say.

the telegraph sum him up as did Mitch earlier

Marouane Fellaini is great until the ball is at his feet:
    Marouane Fellaini was a man going nowhere this time last season, with his move from Everton proving a disaster, but the Belgian deserves credit for resurrecting his United career under Louis van Gaal.

The Manchester United manager realises that Fellaini’s physical presence gives his team an extra dimension and the approach worked in patches v arsenal.

Fellaini won everything in the air, displayed some excellent chest control, but when the ball was at his feet, everything came to a shuddering halt.
    There is a sense that Fellaini is a means to an end, a tool used by Van Gaal to get United to a certain point, but if he is to have a real future at Old Trafford, the midfielder needs to work on his touch and distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I have repeatedly said that he is doing well and is a good option for us.

I wasn't aiming it at you mate I mean just in general that's the vibe in here, you would swear we have always had teams full of word class players, the notion that the team cant win a champs league with players like fellani is pretty bull tho we won in Moscow with Anderson in the team, we won in Barcelona with players like jesper blomqvist,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Fellaini has good ball control on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    I wasn't aiming it at you mate I mean just in general that's the vibe in here, you would swear we have always had teams full of word class players, the notion that the team cant win a champs league with players like fellani is pretty bull tho we won in Moscow with Anderson in the team, we won in Barcelona with players like jesper blomqvist,

We also lost in Rome with Anderson in the team. If we hadn't settled for that mediocrity perhaps we would have stood a better chance that day. And thats the attitude all top clubs should have, push for the best all the time, and imo we can do better than Felliani.

I like him, I think him and the likes of Ashley Young give good depth to the squad and are very viable options in many situations. But I will be a lot happier when there are better players in the team ahead of them.

Yup said that the other day he don't get enough credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just goes to show how so many people can watch the exact same thing unfold, but take away totally separate things from it.

A big part of that BLISTERING first half pressure and play, was from Fellaini pushing up high from the start, and working the ball quickly. It's not a sin for someone to find him with a ball, but he was taking it down on his chest, into feet, neat lay off.

And actually just as much was playing lovely interplay and exchanges to feet, and pressing Spurs high.

I thought he fitted fine into the fast stuff Herrera and Mata were playing on the ground, and there seems to be something there between him and Rooney. They seem to have a pretty good understanding.
    I'm not saying axe him for rothwell or something like that. I would even argue that Fellaini over Mata centrally makes sense to the United side at the moment - but I would argue it on a 'needs must' basis.

I said last season too that Fellaini wasn't a bad player, he was a good player playing badly - and that he could become a very important squad player for us. I still think that now - and that he is proving himself to be a very important squad player.

My arguement in the other direction is that ideally, a year from now, United will be playing a better, more confident and imposing brand of football, and that Fellaini won't be a first choice player in that side.

I still think United need to sign a first choice, top class, CM player in the summer, or two. Fellaini's performances aren't changing my mind on that. Vidal, Strootman (if either can return to their best) or Pogba in CM instead of Fellaini would be great, imo. That isn't to say Fellaini is crap or doing crap - just that he isn't world class and I don't think his performances have been at that level.

If United are to make the top 4 this season, he will have played a big part in that - and we will need him to continue to play a big part over the remaining 9 games. He will be vital to us. But that fact is as much down to the poorness of our CM and general play as it is to anything amazing he has done.

Ashley Young is doing very well for us too, but I would still argue we can and should look to be being better than him on the wing. Smalling was brilliant vs Spurs as well, but if United signed a CB to replace him in the summer (and we need to sign one anyway, imo) I wouldn't be saying its a crying shame.

Again, I'm not saying sell Fellaini, i'm not saying he hasn't been important this season - I'm saying long term I can't see him being more than an important rotational player and if he is more than that it would most likely be down to a failure in the transfer market.

His squad role would be similar, in that respect, to Butt, or Phil Neville - players who were very important to the success of the side during their time, but players who were second choice to top class players in their position when it came to the crunch.

• Advertisement

Anderson came on in that final for 10mins,

99 we won the treble ffs, our team had beckham, giggs, keane, scholes, butt, schmeichel, stam, Irwin Neville, yorke, cole etc etc it was full of world class players and blomqvist was a decent player

he is a professional footballer, that's the basic requirement, yes he has good ball control, but compare his ball control to a carrick, Herrera, kroos, fabregas, silva, cazorla etc etc he is not in the same league as any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    Anderson came on in that final for 10mins,

99 we won the treble ffs, our team had beckham, giggs, keane, scholes, butt, schmeichel, stam, Irwin Neville, yorke, cole etc etc it was full of world class players and blomqvist was a decent player

Butt and Neville were never world class, neither were Cole and Yorke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blomqvist was a very important squad player that year - as I feel should be the role of Fellaini.

We also lost in Rome with Anderson in the team. If we hadn't settled for that mediocrity perhaps we would have stood a better chance that day. And thats the attitude all top clubs should have, push for the best all the time, and imo we can do better than Felliani.

I like him, I think him and the likes of Ashley Young give good depth to the squad and are very viable options in many situations. But I will be a lot happier when there are better players in the team ahead of them.

Ahh yhh I do agree with you there couse id love a pogba or Vidal but I also appreciate fellani for what he can bring to the team that others cant. I also love the fact that opposition fans laugh and make hoofball comments when he is in team like spurs did the weekend and he goes and scores a lovely little well controlled goal with his left foot.

Butt and Neville were never world class, neither were Cole and Yorke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJ_VtDggpM

Probably the one of the greatest strike partnerships in Europe the last 20 years. They were together world class imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgqhm-_6iU

theres a better video more goals. Pure class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJ_VtDggpM

Probably the one of the greatest strike partnerships in Europe the last 20 years. They were together world class imo

Wouldn't be the first time we've disagreed.

In fact, I would say it's in the hundreds now and you haven't even been posting that long in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not entirely sure if its relevant but when we were winning things under Fergie he would often sacrifice skill for graft - picking someone like Butt, Neville or Fortune alongside Keane in midfield. Don't remember such uproar then. Our midfield is quite light in terms of a physical presence and Fellaini is vital to adding to that.

Really can't understand the second guessing of Fellaini this season given his performances. People saying "all I care about is top 4" really need to stop complaining about Fellaini or what he brings to the side given what he's added to the cause this season. And that's said as someone who wrote last season that he'd never be good enough for United.

Not entirely sure if its relevant but when we were winning things under Fergie he would often sacrifice skill for graft - picking someone like Butt, Neville or Fortune alongside Keane in midfield. Don't remember such uproar then. Our midfield is quite light in terms of a physical presence and Fellaini is vital to adding to that.

Really can't understand the second guessing of Fellaini this season given his performances. People saying "all I care about is top 4" really need to stop complaining about Fellaini or what he brings to the side given what he's added to the cause this season. And that's said as someone who wrote last season that he'd never be good enough for United.

id imagine scholes or keane were suspended and that was the reason because it was normally scholes and keane in midfield for nearly every game together, or when veron was there scholes was pushed a bit further forward.

Given his performances? He played well in a few games, I think some fans are over stating how good he has been. He hasn't even won a Man Utd player of the month this season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    At the start of the season I doubt anyone on here wanted fellani near the first team and now he's better than Yaya... Good Lord.

Dont think anyone said he was better, but he is playing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That Cole Yorke clip made me cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    At the start of the season I doubt anyone on here wanted fellani near the first team and now he's better than Yaya... Good Lord.

I wanted him in the team. I have a memory span of more than six months though, which is highly unorthodox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I wanted him in the team. I have a memory span of more than six months though, which is highly unorthodox.

Same I was in the give him a chance camp, I feel some people will always have a dislike to a player and no matter what the player does will never change some peoples opinion whether good or bad

im not sure who got man of the match, I think it was him, rooney def won the man Utd man of the match on twitter.

Fine selective memory you have there.

"I'm not sure that Fellaini is giving his all, but ostensibly yes, why wouldn't I? I can think he's not good enough and should be moved on, but I'm not going to take the piss out of him as long as he's pulling on the red shirt and trying to win games for United"
    you obviously think he's not great either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I still see Fellaini as a good option in the squad, but not much more than that. The fact he is currently important to our style of play actually annoys me a little.

We are 2nd in the possesion stats and first in pass accuracy not sure what you dont like but it was good of you to say Fellaini has contributed greatly to this style and you at least admit its not hoofball with him in the team.

I do hope this style grows on you cause as long as LVG is in charge we will be playing possesion based footbal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The United midfielder is said to have text the woman again at the beginning of this month asking to hook up for sex. When Miss McKenny responded asking if it would just be him Pereira is alleged to have replied saying it would be with another friend and cash offered if she did well.

It is not confirmed whether or not McNair had any knowledge of the incident.

It sounds like Perreira really wants to see McNair in the nip :pac:

id imagine scholes or keane were suspended and that was the reason because it was normally scholes and keane in midfield for nearly every game together, or when veron was there scholes was pushed a bit further forward.

Dunno why I'm bothering but anyways - Champions League semi final in Turin. Butt started ahead of Scholes. That's just one instance. And I can't be arsed looking for more right now because its completely pointless arguing with you.

"Napoli have been linked with a proposed loan move for the midfielder all summer"

How are you trying to use an article which says the above as some sort of fact is beyond me. You are a Journalists wet dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"I'm not sure that Fellaini is giving his all, but ostensibly yes, why wouldn't I? I can think he's not good enough and should be moved on, but I'm not going to take the piss out of him as long as he's pulling on the red shirt and trying to win games for United"
    you obviously think he's not great either ;)

Good try. July 2014 (The start of the season):
    On Fellaini, I also think last season doesn't represent his ability. It's not that long ago that people in here were crying out for him to be signed when he was running riot for Everton and we haven't seen that player in a United shirt yet. But, there were comments from him during the World Cup saying "I have nothing to prove" which would make me question his attitude. He has everything to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This Fellaini stuff reminds of the slating Buttner used to get in here. Then he went and kept Arjen Robben, yes Robben in his pocket all night long.

Even after last Sunday there are posters still pushing Fellaini on the team = hoofball hell, or are looking for some stick to beat him with. I'm not saying he is undeserving of criticism, but he is definitely not anywhere near the front of the bollocking queue.

So Fellaini is one of our rare players who wouldn't make it into the Barca team, sure lets have a look at all of the other players who would, outside of DDG (who I reckon most of us agree would walk into a World 11 squad anyway)

Jonny Evans - no flight to Barca for him, unless it's on a mate's stag.
    Phil Jones - nope, unless it's his stag Jonny is going on
    Antonio Valencia - none for him either
    Marcus Rojo - no, still nothing
    Daley Blind - nope
    Chris Smalling - nope
    Michael Carrick - no
    Ander Herrera - the likeliest so far considering their style, but still nope
    Juan Mata - nope
    Adnan Januzaj - no, still no need for a plane or pilot just yet
    Ashley Young - nope
    Robin Van Persie - Afraid not
    Radamel Falcao on season form - nope
    Angel Di Maria on season form - no, but overall probably 'yes' because he's Angel Di Maria.
    Wayne Rooney- At this stage of his career I reckon no.

Fellaini isn't the only one who wouldn't walk into the Barcelona team. But how do you know? And how do I know for sure that the above players wouldn't? I don't have a fúcking clue, and neither do you. Barcelona bought crocked Thomas Vermaelen last Summer, this time last year it would have been hard to find a poster who would have included Vermaelen in the 'would be sought by Barca' column.

Whether many or any of our players currently would be sought by Barca and Madrid leads to a debate about the overall quality of the team and more than that, the league. That is not where I'm interested in going here, I'm calling today's Fellaini-beating session for the bullshít it is. Hoofball? Look it up. Trappatoni's Ireland played hoofball. They were not playing direct passes to a forward player who could calmly take the ball down on his chest while under pressure from 2 opposing players, then hold it up or lay it on for supporting attackers. FFS, Fellaini broke the line and slotted a cool finish past Hugo Lloris while under pressure from a defender just 4 days ago, I'm done here.

This Fellaini stuff reminds of the slating Buttner used to get in here. Then he went and kept Arjen Robben, yes Robben in his pocket all night long.

everyone can have a great game every now and then. Buttner had the game of his life that night, but the next game v wigan or someone he is brutal.

I feel fellaini is of the same standard. Was excellent v spurs at the weekend, the weekend before v arsenal he was typical of what I think of him, the chance he had on his left foot and he passed it up, nearly falling over himself trying not to shoot.

he has the odd good game but overall is not up to the required standard of what is expected of a man utd player imo

"Napoli have been linked with a proposed loan move for the midfielder all summer"

How are you trying to use an article which says the above as some sort of fact is beyond me. You are a Journalists wet dream.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/500831/Manchester-United-and-Napoli-agree-deal-for-Old-Trafford-wantaway-Marouane-Fellaini

it was a done deal, the injury at the last min stopped the deal going ahead. I don't know why people deny this stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

He was utterly crap though. One of the worst defenders Ive seen play for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Buttner.

Now there is a man I forgot about quickly.

Say his name has not been mentioned in here till today since he left.

Slightly off the beating path, but was just fluting around the general forum reading threads and reading a few articles here and there.

The world is aware Manuel Neuer isn't the first keeper to ever play as a sweeper, right?

This seems to be the defining feature of why he is the best, with many people outlining "He is doing things that have never been done before, he is innovating a position where we thought no innovation was left".

He is good with the ball at his feet, and plays as a sweeper. This is not a new phenomenon.

Am I missing something entirely here? I watch Bayern each week..I catch every German international game. While I'd have Neuer as the best in the world, the gap he is ahead feels extremely exaggerated.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/500831/Manchester-United-and-Napoli-agree-deal-for-Old-Trafford-wantaway-Marouane-Fellaini

it was a done deal, the injury at the last min stopped the deal going ahead. I don't know why people deny this stuff

"Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Napoli"

" it appears Louis Van Gaal has lost patience with the former Toffee and will allow him to leave"

Do you just read the headlines of the stuff you link, do you understand how gutter jurnos work and what click bait is. Pretty sure you have a rag quoting a Italian rag about things that may happen.

Its bloody chinese whispers and your trying to peddle it as fact, Ive had to click on both them links now which makes me an accessory after the fact. Your bringing me down with you man, your bringin me down.

But seriously stop linking rubbish articles that spread nothing but rumours and trying to use them as fact it makes your arguements worse.

O ya Felainipurplemonkeydishwasher

• Advertisement

Buttner.

As Airbag said, to be remembered and revered for having a quality game against Robben.

Thought that would be his little turner to be honest, like how Rafael came to the hilt against Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Slightly off the beating path, but was just fluting around the general forum reading threads and reading a few articles here and there.

The world is aware Manuel Neuer isn't the first keeper to ever play as a sweeper, right?

This seems to be the defining feature of why he is the best, with many people outlining "He is doing things that have never been done before, he is innovating a position where we thought no innovation was left".

He is good with the ball at his feet, and plays as a sweeper. This is not a new phenomenon.

Am I missing something entirely here? I watch Bayern each week..I catch every German international game. While I'd have Neuer as the best in the world, the gap he is ahead feels extremely exaggerated.
    I think it co-incided with the other 2 best playing for United and Chelsea somehow. Neuer is prone to mistakes too and can on occasion be a bit too eager to come out. I'm not sure he'd look as good in either the United or Chelsea team due to United not having a settled back 4 all season and Chelsea having to defend deeper due to a lack of pace at the back.

Fellaini could save orphans from a fire and people would still find something to complain about how he saved them and it wasn't the right style.

Neur does get over rated because a lot of people hate Chelsea and utd and wouldn't watch soccer outside of the premiership and only see clips of him on sportsLAD running to half way line which I think is kinda too risky and nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Marouane.jpg

Neur does get over rated because a lot of people hate Chelsea and utd and wouldn't watch soccer outside of the premiership and only see clips of him on sportsLAD running to half way line which I think is kinda too risky and nothing new.

Well I wouldn't call him over rated, he is genuinely world class and at present the best in the world.

Just feel his sweeper stuff gets a bit blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Well I wouldn't call him over rated, he is genuinely world class and at present the best in the world.

Just feel his sweeper stuff gets a bit blown out of proportion.

You calling Fellani a cult hero earlier inspired me to make this phone wallpaper

dCBCL1Bl.png

here's the full size version: http://i.imgur.com/dCBCL1B.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Buttner.

Good old Butters, what a lunatic of an individual...
    sure do ye's all remember the calls for him and Evra down the left side... mad stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Bangkok how many of our players would get into Barca or Madrids side seems this is your new way of knocking him down.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Bangkok how many of our players would get into Barca or Madrids side seems this is your new way of knocking him down.

Fellaini wouldn't get into the Chelsea, City, arsenal, barca, real, athletico, psg, juventus, bayern, Liverpool teams either, I think that says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Fellaini wouldn't get into the Chelsea, City, arsenal, barca, real, athletico, psg, juventus, bayern, Liverpool teams either, I think that says it all

You'd make a great politician in fairness to you.
    You've an incredible ability to ignore the question asked of you while snowballing your own point!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement