Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

bangkok wrote: »
    Fellaini wouldn't get into the Chelsea, City, arsenal, barca, real, athletico, psg, juventus, bayern, Liverpool teams either, I think that says it all

Answer the question which of our players would get into the Barca or Real side.

You'd make a great politician in fairness to you.
    You've an incredible ability to ignore the question asked of you while snowballing your own point!

To be honest i would say him along with a few others were annoyed Fellaini opened the scoring the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Speaking of Vermaelen, read last night he still didn't even make his Barca debut, thank god we didn't get him.

Has anybody seen much of Yarmelenko i have only seen the two games against Everton but my god he looks a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Answer the question which of our players would get into the Barca or Real side.

Barcelona IMO de gea, smalling, carrick, di Maria

Real Madrid IMO de gea di Maria carrick Rooney

To be honest i would say him along with a few others were annoyed Fellaini opened the scoring the last day.

No, I was delighted, I'm looking at a bigger picture here

Don't think this has been posted yet but LVG did a very honest and in depth interview with the Telegraph, definitely worth reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11483566/Louis-van-Gaal-Manchester-United-is-my-last-job-in-football-and-I-will-go-out-at-the-top.html

Talks about him growing up, to the philosophy, to relationship with players and an insight into which staff does what. Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

What are people thinking about left back for liverpool if its blind id be very worried about him getting done for pace against there wingbacks, granted i think any of the LBs have look great over a sustained period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    This seems to be the defining feature of why he is the best, with many people outlining "He is doing things that have never been done before, he is innovating a position where we thought no innovation was left".

Who said that? Is there a link?

It seems to forget that a massive facet of Barca's tiki taka style involved the keeper acting as a sweeper, eschewing long balls in favour of constantly playing the ball short to a free man. I'd be interested to see the article that appears to be written by somebody with such a short memory.

Our best two games of football recently have been with Fellaini playing off Rooney and i hope it stays like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Barcelona IMO de gea, smalling, carrick, di Maria

Real Madrid IMO de gea di Maria carrick Rooney

Smalling in the barca squad??? I want some of what your smoking and I want it now.

sky88 wrote: »
    What are people thinking about left back for liverpool if its blind id be very worried about him getting done for pace against there wingbacks, granted i think any of the LBs have look great over a sustained period

I would be happy with Blind once Young is in front of him to help him out. Just let him stick to Sterling for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

sky88 wrote: »

I worried about Blind being caught for pace last weekend when up against Townsend and Walker but they provided no threat, or weren't allowed to.

I'd stick with Blind.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Smalling in the barca squad??? I want some of what your smoking and I want it now.

Sure he thinks Carrick would start ahead of one of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or Rakitic.

Plus Di Maria would start for the side that just sold him.

you probably dont see much of barca only the odd champions league game, but mathieu plays centre back for them, he is to put it mildly not great, not sure if you noticed but they also signed thomas vermaelen and wouldnt exactly be quality either. pique wouldnt be the best defender either but very good on the ball. smalling would probably walk onto the team, as would rojo, jones or maybe even evans, but i had to pick one so i went for smalling

Sure he thinks Carrick would start ahead of one of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or Rakitic.

and? he is still quality and better than james!!!

would ronaldo not start for united because we sold him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Bangkok wasn't it you that said that Michael Carrick was a poor man's Leon Britton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Barca are no great shakes at the back.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Bangkok wasn't it you that said that Michael Carrick was a poor man's Leon Britton?

no, not a chance

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rate busquets that highly, Carrick would definitely be in with a shot at being the deep midfielder in the barca side.

i also think mata and herrera would trive in the barca or real team, but i only picked 1 player from man utd for each position

you probably dont see much of barca only the odd champions league game, but mathieu plays centre back for them, he is to put it mildly not great, not sure if you noticed but they also signed thomas vermaelen and wouldnt exactly be quality either. pique wouldnt be the best defender either but very good on the ball. smalling would probably walk onto the team, as would rojo, jones or maybe even evans, but i had to pick one so i went for smalling

Man don't patronise me with the i only watch the odd champions league game if your trying to make yourself out to be some expert your doing a crap job of it. Id have pique and mascherano or Mathieu in cb before id have smalling, as to Carrick in midfield its like the man above me said you would put him ahead of xavi or iniesta or rakitick or busquets.

beno619 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rate busquets that highly, Carrick would definitely be in with a shot at being the deep midfielder in the barca side.

Not sure if you're serious.

Busquets is one of the best DM of all time. He has everything. How would you not rate him highly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

rarnes1 wrote: »

Busquets is one of the best DM of all time. He has everything. How would you not rate him highly?

Welcome to the utd thread where all is not what it seems. Beno is part of our drama society.

I don't even know how to reply to that but my god wow.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

Lots of average players can be elevated by the players around them. Anyway its just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

J. Marston wrote: »
    I worried about Blind being caught for pace last weekend when up against Townsend and Walker but they provided no threat, or weren't allowed to.

I'd stick with Blind.

I wonder is that why fellaini played on that side, if teams commit the left back or LWB they could be left very exposed with a quick ball up to Fellaini hence making blinds job at Lb easier as their LB would be less likely to commit forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Lots of average players can be elevated by the players around them. Anyway its just an opinion.

While I don't opinions can be wrong, that's one is based almost entirely in ignorance.

miralize wrote: »
    While I don't opinions can be wrong, that's one is based almost entirely in ignorance.

My opinion of him is probably tainted by the fact I think he's as filthy as Saurez.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mascherano is a fantastic DM and he couldn't shift Busquets from that role at Barca which says it all really.

• Advertisement

Man don't patronise me with the i only watch the odd champions league game if your trying to make yourself out to be some expert your doing a crap job of it. Id have pique and mascherano or Mathieu in cb before id have smalling, as to Carrick in midfield its like the man above me said you would put him ahead of xavi or iniesta or rakitick or busquets.

well i watch a lot of spanish football, most of the teams in fact, mathieu wouldnt be great, how he managed to get a move to Barca last season just shows the mess that that was goin on behind the scenes at barcelona with zubizaratta. mascherano is not even a centre half, barca play him there as they dont really have anyone else up to standard so to suggest "what im smoking" in regard to smalling being at barca thats my response

well i watch a lot of spanish football, most of the teams in fact, mathieu wouldnt be great, how he managed to get a move to Barca last season just shows the mess that that was goin on behind the scenes at barcelona with zubizaratta. mascherano is not even a centre half, barca play him there as they dont really have anyone else up to standard so to suggest "what im smoking" in regard to smalling being at barca thats my response

I still think your smoking something dogey mate ha.

wenger when he said Carrick should have been player of the year 2 years ago, maybe 3

Wenger said. "He is a quality passer. He could play for Barcelona, he would be perfectly suited to their game. He has a good vision and is an intelligent player, and it is for what he has achieved in his whole career as well"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jamie Carragher and a United player I never liked...Paul Ince on Off the Ball to talk about the match this hour.

Hated how Ince called himself the Guvnor/governor or whatever, when Keane was the person who ruled midfield...thankfully Fergie got rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher and a United player I never liked...Paul Ince on Off the Ball to talk about the match this hour.

Hated how Ince called himself the Guvnor/governor or whatever, when Keane was the person who ruled midfield...thankfully Fergie got rid of him.

Ince was at Utd 4 or 5 seasons before Keane

Pogba not going to Real Madrid according to his agent...

‘Real Madrid are a club that is used to buying players like you buy a facecloth – and then throws them away like a facecloth,’ he told L'Equipe
    ‘We don’t want to go to a club like that.
    We want to go to a club that believes in Paul’s potential.’

Trilla wrote: »
    Ince was at Utd 4 or 5 seasons before Keane

They did play together though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Jeez, most of team shouldnt be in the UTD team let alone being considerd for Barca!!

Go to bed now...

‘Real Madrid are a club that is used to buying players like you buy a facecloth – and then throws them away like a facecloth,’ he told L'Equipe

agents are funny.... Do Juve not already believe in his potential then he should just stay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wigan got hammered in the Europa tonight. Delighted.

Coleman in the summer and how are ya doin' McCarthy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Don't think this has been posted yet but LVG did a very honest and in depth interview with the Telegraph, definitely worth reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11483566/Louis-van-Gaal-Manchester-United-is-my-last-job-in-football-and-I-will-go-out-at-the-top.html

Talks about him growing up, to the philosophy, to relationship with players and an insight into which staff does what. Very interesting.

That's a good read.

MagicIRL wrote: »

we already have rafael and valencia having a decent season there now at right back.

mccarthy? no, we dont want to turn into everton!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We need a RB and Coleman wouldn't be the worst buy but it'd depend on the price and availability of others.

McCarthy? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Real aren't interested then.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Thankfully there isn't a fear that LVG would be interested in either of those players.
    No where near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Coleman is pushing on into his late twenties. This right now is as good as he'll ever be, and that's not good enough for Champions League level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Coleman is pushing on into his late twenties. This right now is as good as he'll ever be, and that's not good enough for Champions League level.

Can see us getting Dani Alves if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Can see us getting Dani Alves if he doesn't sign a new contract.

I see this too, although I feel like we'd just be selling Rafael to sign Rafael 2.0+6/7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    We need a RB and Coleman wouldn't be the worst buy but it'd depend on the price and availability of others.

McCarthy? No thanks.

I'd imagine Clyne is at the top of the RB list. He is a free agent in Summer 16 and by all accounts not signing a new deal. He is a far better option than Coleman IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

dahat wrote: »
    I'd imagine Clyne is at the top of the RB list. He is a free agent in Summer 16 and by all accounts not signing a new deal. He is a far better option than Coleman IMO.

I'd have him as a better option too.

I guess I should qualify my previous post by saying that I don't rate Rafael all that highly and if you were to give the three of them 38 games in the same team; I think Coleman would have more good games than Valencia or Rafael. So like I said, he'd be an option given that I think he'd be an improvement over what we already have but not number 1 on the target list.

RB is an area we need to address this Summer as a matter of priority imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement