Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If we're fantasising about right backs I'll throw in Ramos. Now that United are buying Real players and all. Could send Rafael the other way on loan. Now that United are loaning players to Real. :pac:

I post this here only to calm fears over reports that DDG's missus hates Manchester and she will be the one to inevitably plead with him to get out of the shíthole. That's the only reason I'm posting it. I would advise you to just listen to it as she isn't easy on the eyes, the interviewer could have at least gave the poor girl a paper bag. I feel bad for Dave...

Apparently the translation is spot on, apart from 'corners' meaning more like hubs/areas rather than places where 2 walls meet at an angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No. She just really likes jones taking corners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

stankratz wrote: »
    I post this here only to calm fears over reports that DDG's missus hates Manchester and she will be the one to inevitably plead with him to get out of the shíthole. That's the only reason I'm posting it. I would advise you to just listen to it as she isn't easy on the eyes, the interviewer could have at least gave the poor girl a paper bag. I feel bad for Dave...

Apparently the translation is spot on, apart from 'corners' meaning more like hubs/areas rather than places where 2 walls meet at an angle.

No her and ddg like to drink flagans on the corners and the council men were pointing out what's the best corner to drink on to cause most distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

beno619 wrote: »
    Barca are no great shakes at the back.

This sounds like something you'd here on RTE from guys who haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Barcelona have got one of the best defensive records in Europe this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    This sounds like something you'd here on RTE from guys who haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Barcelona have got one of the best defensive records in Europe this season.

Because it is hard to actually attack them in sufficient numbers, as they retain the ball so well themselves and it is a big risk to push forward and let them counter you. If they weren't so good going forward, and using the ball, their defense is the weak part of the side you could get it. As it is, you can't really afford to go after them too much.

United have one of the best defensive records in the PL, our defence is shocking them. We mask that by defending with possession (stated by LVG himself) and having an awesome keeper. Our actual defenders have been no great shakes for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

stankratz wrote: »

That council man wont put her wrong,unless he is an under cover Pool fan or a City fan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Can see us getting Dani Alves if he doesn't sign a new contract.

cant see it to be honest and wouldn't be a great signing either. He will either sign a new contract or join PSG

• stankratz wrote: »

Fantastic Ted, I just pressed play / mute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Forlan
    When I’ve retired from club football I plan to go in that end [@ Anfield] with the United fans behind the goal.

The song goes: “Diego, wooah, Diego, wooah; He came from Uruguay, he made the Scousers cry.”

I’ll be honest; I get goose bumps every time I hear it

The full story below reminds me of the Falcao situation. That's the great thing about playing for UTD, it can take only one game to become a cult hero.

Some great quotes and insight from him, we need some of this spirit come Sunday 13:30
    My sister re-tweeted something which I saw last week. It was from a Manchester United fan who said they were practising for their game at Liverpool this Sunday by singing about me in their game v Spurs.
    The song goes: “Diego, wooah, Diego, wooah; He came from Uruguay, he made the Scousers cry.”

I’ll be honest; I get goose bumps every time I hear it. I can be in Brazil or Uruguay, Japan or Spain watching a United game on television and hear it.
    It is so flattering.

I’m not Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or another United legend, nor am I the only player to have scored at Anfield, so it feels a privilege to be remembered.

I recall how I was getting so few minutes in the team that I didn’t even feel like I was a proper footballer, before United played at Anfield in December 2002.

I was training but not playing, but something happened that day that would make it one of the greatest moments of my life and still be sung about to this day.

I scored two as United beat Liverpool 2-1 away.

I started because of injuries. It was not an easy game to start in and the first half was difficult; I didn’t see much of the ball and couldn’t get it.
    It was so intense and I thought I was going to be substituted, but it all changed in the second half.

The intensity level dropped a little – it would have been impossible to continue as it was – and we started to get chances.

I saw the ball going to goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek and he missed it. I ran onto it and put the ball into the net. My confidence surged. For the second, it was a shot from further out.

This time, I ran to the away end and the fans went crazy. Faces looked like they going to explode.

My teammates were delighted, for the team and for me as they knew I’d had a tough time. Stewards rushed forward to push us away from the fans.
    Ryan Giggs, who set me up for the goal, told the stewards in bright orange jackets where they should go.
    I repeated what Giggs said. Nobody was stopping us enjoying this moment. Nobody.

I wanted to jump over that fence and get in with the fans, which is not responsible, but I was so happy and my adrenaline was pumping.
    When I’ve retired from club football I plan to go in that end with the United fans behind the goal.

I’ll put a hood up and keep my head down – not everyone in Liverpool would be delighted to see me. But I can’t sing about myself. Someone else needs to score two that day.

Liverpool did all they could to draw, but we held on. I went into the dressing room and Gary Neville was the first to come up to me as we celebrated.

He looked me in the eyes and said: “Maybe you don’t realise what you have just done, but they’ll never forget you here after that.”

I always remember that. I knew there was a big rivalry, but I didn’t fully understand it. I was a guy from Montevideo, how would I?

But I began to understand the importance after that, from the reaction of the players and the travelling fans behind the goal. Gary was right.
    I’ve seen Dudek since. He was a good goalkeeper, but we never spoke about that.

I should mention Liverpool fans. In 2010, I played there for Atletico Madrid in the Europa League semi-final.

They booed me, which I understood. I scored the goal in the first leg in a 1-0 win and it was 1-0 to Liverpool in the second leg. It went to extra time.

Liverpool scored after 95 minutes. They were going to the final ... until I scored in the 102nd minute at the Kop end.

I went crazy, but not in an inflammatory way. It was an important goal to score. Fans gave me a lot of abuse but at the end of the game they applauded me. Thousands of them, even though they were hurting. Good football people and a historic club, I respect them.

I’ll look forward to the game on Sunday, a huge match between fourth and fifth in the table.

Both teams need to finish in the top four. Liverpool are playing better than United at the moment, they’re winning by fighting, they beat Manchester City with two great goals.

They’re at home, too, so they’re favourites.
    United have Wayne Rooney, their key player, doing well, but they need more than quality to win there.

You need effort and a little bit of luck, maybe a goalkeeper dropping a ball.
    United must be ready to take advantage. I was.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/diego-forlan-to-be-immortalised-in-manchester-united-song-after-anfield-goals-still-gives-goose-bumps

• Advertisement

CAd_3bjWYAA5jSU.jpg

look out for this on sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    CAd_3bjWYAA5jSU.jpg

look out for this on sunday :D

Where is the picture of you licking windows on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

well i watch a lot of spanish football, most of the teams in fact, mathieu wouldnt be great, how he managed to get a move to Barca last season just shows the mess that that was goin on behind the scenes at barcelona with zubizaratta. mascherano is not even a centre half, barca play him there as they dont really have anyone else up to standard so to suggest "what im smoking" in regard to smalling being at barca thats my response

Mathieu did very well for Valencia for a number of years, who themselves are a massive club.

Mascherano is an excellent player and very comfortable playing at CB. It's not like he can't do very well there, as you imply. It allows them to slot in Busquets (who despite being a completely unlikable so and so for all his stupid antics) is a brilliant DM, that gives their side balance. Notice also, that all the Barcelona CBs (Pique, Mascherano, Mathieu, Vermaelen) are very comfortable on the ball - even though I rate him as a defender, Smalling isn't.

Actually, I just stopped and thought and this argument again. It's completely ridiculous and pointless. Why did I spend 5 mins typing this much about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lot of people seem to watch hell of lot of football here. Between watching Man United, going to Home Cork City games and catching odd Hibs game on TV at minute I be lucky to watch 5 games a week.

Love to have the time to watch loads :)

v3ttel wrote: »
    Mathieu did very well for Valencia for a number of years, who themselves are a massive club.

Mascherano is an excellent player and very comfortable playing at CB. It's not like he can't do very well there, as you imply. It allows them to slot in Busquets (who despite being a completely unlikable so and so for all his stupid antics) is a brilliant DM, that gives their side balance. Notice also, that all the Barcelona CBs (Pique, Mascherano, Mathieu, Vermaelen) are very comfortable on the ball - even though I rate him as a defender, Smalling isn't.

Actually, I just stopped and thought and this argument again. It's completely ridiculous and pointless. Why did I spend 5 mins typing this much about it?

It's the Bangkok effect

Paris St-Germain v Barcelona

Atletico Madrid v Real Madrid

Porto v Bayern Munich

Juventus v Monaco

great draw. Fancy Barca and Real although both will be very tight, Bayern and Juve all to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lukekul wrote: »
    You calling Fellani a cult hero earlier inspired me to make this phone wallpaper

dCBCL1Bl.png

here's the full size version: http://i.imgur.com/dCBCL1B.png

This needs more thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sunday morning seems so far away, I don't know if I'm 90% excited and 10% scared or 90% scared and 10% excited

Pro. F wrote: »
    This needs more thanks.

Don't worry, he is reaping his karma on reddit.

This needs more thanks.

Exactly what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

This needs more thanks.

He forgot #WellDoneFellani

fellaini will never be a cult hero, unless of course he scores the winner in front of the kop sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who Posted?
    Total Posts: 2,123
    User Name Posts
    bangkok 170
    Gowlasauras Rex 151
    TheDoc 74
    MythicalMadMan 69
    Maximus Alexander 59
    Liam O 58
    jayo26 53
    bucketybuck 50
    Giggsy11 44
    Pro. F 43
    adox 43
    kryogen 43
    M!Ck^ 42
    Rayne Wooney 36
    RobertKK 35
    zerks 32
    shadowcomplex 31

It's ramping up.

I should probably just do my work rather than get involved in the Bangkok effect

We've entered the death spiral IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I should probably just do my work rather than get involved in the Bangkok effect

Do you dare to #Bangkok??:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United should have enough to do it I think, a lot more average players in the Liverpool team imo. Herrera and Fellaini should be enough to stop Henderson thinking he can join the attack too much and if Blind plays like the other day then Sterling or whoever will have him to worry about as much as is the opposite. Obviously Valencia will be exposed like in every big game but hopefully the rest can rally around or Rafael could start which I know is unlikely in the extreme.

I just have a really good feeling about this as the opportunity to shut them up. Fellaini to tear them a new one.

if anyone is going to tear Liverpool up this weekend it will be di maria

Liverpool have far more pace in their side than we do, and I don't think we'll be able to stop them. I reckon 2-0 or 2-1 pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Liverpool have far more pace in their side than we do, and I don't think we'll be able to stop them. I reckon 2-0 or 2-1 pool.

True but pace isn't everything. If we stay compact we can frustrate them. Blackburn got a draw there recently, if they can do that there's no reason we can't at least get the same result.

Assuming we stick to the same tactics and line-up I think it will be a good performance and, most likely, a good result on Sunday.

One thing I'm concerned about is either of Fellaini or Herrera getting themselves sent off. I could see the two of them getting too excited and reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lets take a few minutes to remember and summon the spirit of those cult heroes of, away wins of Anfield past, for Sunday

Video 1: Cult hero = Forlan

Video 2: Cult hero = O'Shea

Video 3: Cult hero = Valencia (dat acceleration) & Raf (what a goal)

Cult hero: Rooney

Other honorable mentions (aka I can't find the vids online):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Saturday, September 11, 1999 [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Liverpool 2-3 Man Utd[/FONT]
    Cult hero: Jamie Carragher with two own goals

Finally Beckham did this, can't find the full match vid

Assuming we stick to the same tactics and line-up I think it will be a good performance and, most likely, a good result on Sunday.

One thing I'm concerned about is either of Fellaini or Herrera getting themselves sent off. I could see the two of them getting too excited and reckless.

Fellaini more likely - he gives away so many soft free kicks he will get at least a yellow from the 'totting up process'. He is a certain starter though. Not so sure on Herrera though.

I reckon we could see Blind at anchor, Carrick in CM with Fellaini and Shaw back in at left back. though Carrick and Blind together in midfield didn't look great vs Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I hope we see the same team that lined out against Spurs. They played very well and i think will be compact and physical enough to stifle the liverpool midfield. If we can contain them for the first 25/30 mins then we have every chance of taking something from the game. If liverpool get an early goal I'd say we're screwed though. The last thing we want is them counterattacking us with all that pace up front.

Carrick will need to have a big big game. The central defense pairing are going to need plenty of protection.

I didn't see the Spurs game, can somebody give me a quick idea of how United set up? Pro F?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everyone keeps saying this, but they're playing like Utd did during the good run in November. Poor performances but getting results. They were awful away to Swansea and Southampton, but scraped the wins. They couldn't beat Blackburn at home. Besiktas ripped them apart in the second leg in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Keith Barry has predicted a draw so I'm going to stick the house on that.

1-1 is my opinion with Wooney and sterling scoring.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Everyone keeps saying this, but they're playing like Utd did during the good run in November. Poor performances but getting results. They were awful away to Swansea and Southampton, but scraped the wins. They couldn't beat Blackburn at home. Besiktas ripped them apart in the second leg in Europe.

You are failing to acknowledge the effect of them having entered super-turbo-power-up mode, as was common knowledge on the thread several weeks ago.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I didn't see the Spurs game, can somebody give me a quick idea of how United set up? Pro F?
    DDG
    Valencia Smalling Jones Blind
    Carrick
    Mata Herrera Fellaini Young
    Rooney

With Herrera defending deeper than Fellaini. Fellaini was pretty much playing as a striker for a good bit of the first half. As somebody mentioned on here earlier, it was noticeable that Fellaini was also pulling out left a good bit.

There was a lot of nice passing, especially in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is from Van Gaal himself. He's no Pro F but he'll have to do I'm afraid.

“The system we play now is the system that I prefer, that I have played everywhere. Yesterday (against Spurs) is my preferred system. When it is needed, then I play with five at the back.

"Yesterday was 4-3-3 when we had the ball. For example, Juan (Mata) more inside and (Ashley) Young outside. When we defend it was more 4-1-4-1 yesterday. Next game is different.”

• Advertisement

DDG
    Valencia Smalling Jones Blind
    Carrick
    Mata Herrera Fellaini Young
    Rooney

With Herrera defending deeper than Fellaini. Fellaini was pretty much playing as a striker for a good bit of the first half. As somebody mentioned on here earlier, it was noticeable that Fellaini was also pulling out left a good bit.

There was a lot of nice passing, especially in the first half.

Also Mata looks wide in that lineup, but he cut inside a lot and very little went down the right hand side.

fellaini to be booked anytime 10/11... easy money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

fellaini to be booked anytime 10/11... easy money
    Most sensible thing I've heard you say
    I'd take a bit of that action myself
    Surely side show bob is due a ban soon!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

brinty wrote: »

Sorry, who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sorry, who?

Fellaini = Sideshow Bob...

Is that just me!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is that just me!!!!

451707200-487010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is that just me!!!!

Yes. David Luis is Sideshow Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is that just me!!!!

Yes.

Ermahgerd lol and Rooney is like shrek.

Top banter m8.

I'm just glad we are all blessed and had no flaws of our own, chiselled jaw keyboard warriors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Fellaini this season 1 yellow card every 249 minutes or 2.7 games dont go nuts there guys, less then even money on that dont look like the bet of the millenium to me.
    I didnt check the ref mind but im sure youve done more homework then me on it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement