Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

:eek:
    There's two sideshow bobs!!!!!!
    And Rooney looks like shrek..well I never....
    Next thing you'll tell me RVN was known as Donkey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ermahgerd lol and Rooney is like shrek.

Top banter m8.

I'm just glad we are all blessed and had no flaws of our own, chiselled jaw keyboard warriors.

What died in your cornflakes?

Being called sideshow bob is not analogous to being called ugly - it is a comment that he has big hair, like sideshow bob. (Ricardo Carvalho and David Luiz have also been called the same, because of their hair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

e2739916b778e9d5cfe5e1ded85540f4.jpg

these guys were twins though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

All we're short now is Jason Lee and a pineapple...

Anyways, i'm feeling good about sunday I think 2-1 is a good score line and i'd take a 1-1.

The Scousers are being far too confident, nothing better than bursting their bubble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

4a86651f373da6b7a4a090abc03a9d2b.png

The same as the last fixture, he dished out 7 cards in that game and Fellaini got one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    All we're short now is Jason Lee and a pineapple...

Anyways, i'm feeling good about sunday I think 2-1 is a good score line and i'd take a 1-1.

The Scousers are being far too confident, nothing better than bursting their bubble

I love it when they're confident. It just makes it all the sweeter when their bubble inevitably gets burst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fellaini gets some of the most ridiculous things pulled up on him though. He's tall and he'll get his body in the way and the refs will blow it up for the little guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    e2739916b778e9d5cfe5e1ded85540f4.jpg

these guys were twins though :)

Kuyt looked nothing like Iain Dowie, don't know where you got that from.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I love it when they're confident. It just makes it all the sweeter when their bubble inevitably gets burst.

Some are confident, some are less so. Pretty much like this thread really, srtangely enough. 10 days ago it seems like most of ye were all ready to give up there and then nearly, but opinions change.

(Nearly) All football fans are fickle and opinionated, and their opinions are often wrong with those who happened to be right for some reason feeling superior until the next time when the shoe is on the other foot and hsyteria has got hold again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Fellaini gets some of the most ridiculous things pulled up on him though. He's tall and he'll get his body in the way and the refs will blow it up for the little guy.

Ya someone posted a article on here a few months ago that taller players are treated much harsher by refs then smaller players and tend to give more frees against them i.e Fellaini and crouch

I've seen a couple of times players run into Fellaini fall over and get a free kick it must be very frustrating at times. In the Arsenal game he lost his cool after about 6 50/50s going against him made his first proper foul and got booked.

Generally he seems like a pretty calm individual and hopefully he will be too much for henderson to manage.

5starpool wrote: »
    Some are confident, some are less so. Pretty much like this thread really, srtangely enough. 10 days ago it seems like most of ye were all ready to give up there and then nearly, but opinions change.

(Nearly) All football fans are fickle and opinionated, and their opinions are often wrong with those who happened to be right for some reason feeling superior until the next time when the shoe is on the other foot and hsyteria has got hold again.

For sure, I agree with you on all of this. I'm specifically talking about the kind of Liverpool (in this case) fans that I have to deal with in real life, who get far too overconfident and are then, inevitably, disappointed.

The fact that their confidence is beyond what is warranted means that they are guaranteed to be brought sharply back to Earth at some point, and I enjoy the schadenfreude of it all.

I fully accept that their are United fans who are exactly the same, but I'm also suffering disappointment whenever they're brought back to Earth, so I can't take any satisfaction from that.

don't know where all the confidence is coming from, maybe because we played very well v spurs, but Liverpool are flying in the league at the moment. the last 12 league games 10 wins 2 draws and we have only won once in the last 6 visits to anfield.

I would take a boring 0-0 draw right now, but I honestly think Liverpool will have to much for us all over the pitch. 2-0 Liverpool. Hope im very wrong

oh and its Gerrards last home game v Man Utd, he will surely score a peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

don't know where all the confidence is coming from, maybe because we played very well v spurs, but Liverpool are flying in the league at the moment. the last 12 league games 10 wins 2 draws and we have only won once in the last 6 visits to anfield.

I would take a boring 0-0 draw right now, but I honestly think Liverpool will have to much for us all over the pitch. 2-0 Liverpool. Hope im very wrong

oh and its Gerrards last home game v Man Utd, he will surely score a peno

Agree with this. Liverpool were superb at home against City recently and they'll raise their game even more for Utd. Although I think Utd might just have enough to get a point out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    DDG
    Valencia Smalling Jones Blind
    Carrick
    Mata Herrera Fellaini Young
    Rooney

With Herrera defending deeper than Fellaini. Fellaini was pretty much playing as a striker for a good bit of the first half. As somebody mentioned on here earlier, it was noticeable that Fellaini was also pulling out left a good bit.

There was a lot of nice passing, especially in the first half.
    Pighead wrote: »
    This is from Van Gaal himself. He's no Pro F but he'll have to do I'm afraid.

“The system we play now is the system that I prefer, that I have played everywhere. Yesterday (against Spurs) is my preferred system. When it is needed, then I play with five at the back.

"Yesterday was 4-3-3 when we had the ball. For example, Juan (Mata) more inside and (Ashley) Young outside. When we defend it was more 4-1-4-1 yesterday. Next game is different.”

Thanks lads.

It was highlighted at HT on MNF how well Swansea's front three was doing at preventing Liverpool playing out from the back. The amount of work being done by Sigurdson in particular was savage, Liverpool really only began to get into the game as he noticeably tired. Gomis seemed to get a bit lazy about his brief as well.

I wonder will we see similar emphasis from United this weekend without the ball on pushing up on Henderson and Gerrard/Allen. Liverpool seemed very short on ideas when that was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Don't worry, he is reaping his karma on reddit.

+33

Ballin'

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    It was highlighted at HT on MNF how well Swansea's front three was doing at preventing Liverpool playing out from the back. The amount of work being done by Sigurdson in particular was savage,

Interesting that you should say this. I felt during the game that Swansea were unlucky that Sigurdsson was having a poor game going forward. There were a couple of dangerous counterattacks in particular that broke down with him, he just couldn't seem to get his feet organised.

It didn't occur to me at the time that his focus was on stifling Liverpool and, I suppose, it might be hard to keep having to switch gear rapidly like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lot of people seem to watch hell of lot of football here. Between watching Man United, going to Home Cork City games and catching odd Hibs game on TV at minute I be lucky to watch 5 games a week.

Love to have the time to watch loads :)

Internet is a marvelous place. You can get 720p VODs of most games online, or if you have the old Sky sports you can record some decent games now accross Europe. Sky Sports 5 is a decent channel for a game from Holland, Setanta and BT have some good games from Italy.

I mostly watch games after they've completed, normally late night when Mammy and Baby have KO'd :D

Also relating to Fellaini being a worry, what's his record like when with Everton? Has good experience playing for Everton at Anfield, so I guess you could draw some parallels and you'd hope that experience will stand him in good stead relating to his discipline.

Herrera does have a bit of bite about him, so could see the concerns there alright. Have to say that Rojo would probably be my big concern if he starts. He is an emotional player, the Anfield crowd are right on top of the players, and he could easily lose himself in the heat of the moment. Thought he didn't figure at all against Spurs, out injured?

While it would be wonderful for the team to go out with that same sort of Spurs style, can't help but think we will be very compact and tight, and probably try play a bit on the break or grow into the game.

I'd imagine an expansive attacking style would play right into their hands. Recently their struggles seem to have been evident when teams kinda sit back and absorb the space to stop Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling.

DDG
    Valencia Smalling Jones Blind
    Carrick
    Mata Herrera Fellaini Young
    Rooney

With Herrera defending deeper than Fellaini. Fellaini was pretty much playing as a striker for a good bit of the first half. As somebody mentioned on here earlier, it was noticeable that Fellaini was also pulling out left a good bit.

There was a lot of nice passing, especially in the first half.

Pretty much spot on with what I'd assume to see. Unless Van Gaal has decided to soak Liverpool pressure and hit on the break, Di Maria won't feature. It is something to think about, as Liverpool recently have struggled with teams sitting deep on them, not providing space for Coutinho, Sterling and Lallana to stretch their legs.

Carrick is going to be vital on Sunday to close the pockets in front of the back four, that Coutinho this season has gotten much better at operating in.

I suppose in my heart I want us to lineup like Spurs and go aggressive, quick and offensive from the start and try replicate that blistering first half we had last week.

But my brain keeps saying we should be compact and deep, take the punches and then grow into the game later on.

Separately, I see that interview was linked from Henry Winter from the Guardian. Thought it was bloody brilliant. Gave great insight to how the management team work, and what he meant by "training brains".

Also shone a really good light on Giggs and what he is doing. Really interesting concept, for him to scout the opposition and manage that fake team in training.

I wonder if that continues on matchday where Giggs main focus is on the opposition and what they are doing, and decrypting that into effects for Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I'd say a lot will depend on how high Liverpool press us, I know they tend to press high but maybe that might change having watched the spurs game. As DDG played passes out to the wings which enabled us to counter attack quickly. Spurs ended up getting Demeble following Fellaini around the pitch in the 2nd half but I dont think Liverpool have a strong enough Midfielder to battle him well in the air. I'd guess Rodgers will let Fellaini win primary ball and swarm him for the 2nd ball.

I hope if we press high against them we just let Mignolet and Shako have the ball and press all the other players very tight as I think the two of them would be prone to more unforced errors when looking to make a tight pass.

It'll be a hectic first 5-10 mins though with both teams wanting to control possesion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From LVG. Carrick has signed a new 1 year contract. And Rojo and Shaw won't be fit enough to start on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Barcelona IMO de gea, smalling, carrick, di Maria

Real Madrid IMO de gea di Maria carrick Rooney

Carrick in both and smalling in barca's, gimme some of what you are takin!!

akelly02 wrote: »

Carrick has a history of being criminally underrated by fans. If his name was Michelangelo Carrcluccio nobody would be batting an eyelid at him playing for Real Madrid.

Carrick has a history of being criminally underrated by fans. If his name was Michelangelo Carrcluccio nobody would be batting an eyelid at him playing for Real Madrid.

Past it IMO and never really rated him that much to begin with, but his experience can be vital in games like sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Past it IMO and never really rated him that much to begin with, but his experience can be vital in games like sunday.

He didn't look past it last week.

As for not rating him to begin with its such a poor assessment of a player that's been vital for so many title winning sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That is an annoyingly stupid argument.

Good of you to articulate why.

The only thing criminal is how undervalued Madrid consider stable, non flamboyant midfielders.

History of having incredible holding, no frills CM's to cast them away for no good reason. If Carrick still has a hard time justifying his inclusion to United fans, he wouldn't have a chance in Madrid.

Hope we are keeping track of Kroos for when they eventually discard him.

Not a chance that you are genuinely ignorant to what is wrong with that argument.

Not a chance that you are genuinely ignorant to what is wrong with that argument.

I'm not even particularly clear on which part of it you've construed as an argument. It was a statement of opinion, I didn't bother presenting an argument for that opinion. I'd be genuinely interested to find out what you find so offensive about it though, given some of the crap that gets slung around in here that you don't react to.

• Advertisement

Lads lads.... Tension is high before such an important match but it's all part of the game we love: Football.
    Let's all band together and support the team to get the win.

After all, can you imagine a world without the "banter" and "good natured rivalry" that comes with football??

tumblr_ltbtgjU70B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

*shudders*

I'm not even particularly clear on which part of it you've construed as an argument. It was a statement of opinion, I didn't bother presenting an argument for that opinion. I'd be genuinely interested to find out what you find so offensive about it though, given some of the crap that gets slung around in here that you don't react to.

The idea that the critics of Carrick are so thick that they would think he was a better player if he was of a different nationality, that's the argument/opinion that I'm talking about.

I find it annoying because it is a dumb, offensive argument that has been used for years. It could be used against the critics or defenders of any player.

Allardici....

Think I threw up a little...

The idea that the critics of Carrick are so thick that they would think he was a better player if he was of a different nationality, that's the argument/opinion that I'm talking about.

I find it annoying because it is a dumb, offensive argument that has been used for years. It could be used against the critics or defenders of any player.

I apologise for inadvertently hurting your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Would most people in here take a draw on sunday? I absolutely would.

Think we'll beat City at home, maybe draw vs Chelsea. It's going to be unbelievably tight from 2nd to 5th come the end of the season imo.

I can see City dropping more points now that their title challenge is essentially over. Likewise with Arsenal, and Liverpool's run will end at some stage (hopefully on sunday).

mcratsix wrote: »
    Would most people in here take a draw on sunday? I absolutely would.

Think we'll beat City at home, maybe draw vs Chelsea. It's going to be unbelievably tight from 2nd to 5th come the end of the season imo.

If the result is a draw, I'll be happy enough with that. However, if you offered me a draw now I wouldn't take it. The possibility of a win is far too seductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Can start thinking of a Testimonial now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any particular reason nobody seems to think Di Maria would come in for Young?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any particular reason nobody seems to think Di Maria would come in for Young?

Young has been on form while Di Maria hasn't. To be honest I wouldn't start with Di Maria either, but I'd plan to bring him on later if we need something different, his pace on the counter can change a game.

• Any teams news? Not got home yet but I presume LVG had press conferance today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any teams news? Not got home yet but I presume LVG had press conferance today?

Shaw and Rojo out.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any teams news? Not got home yet but I presume LVG had press conferance today?

Main points apparently were:
    • Michael Carrick has signed a new deal
    • Shaw and Rojo will NOT start on Sunday
    • RVP is back running as he steps up his recovery
    • Giggs' influence will help at Anfield

Trond wrote: »
    He didn't look past it last week.

As for not rating him to begin with its such a poor assessment of a player that's been vital for so many title winning sides.

What can he do that blind cant only better?

well if you followed real madrid you might realise that a lot of their problems come from not having a good defensive midfielder. Khedira cant get back to where he was at and illarramendi hasnt done enough to be in the starting team. toni kroos doesnt have enough discipline to play the defensive role either, but i presume you already know all that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well if you followed real madrid you might realise that a lot of their problems come from not having a good defensive midfielder. Khedira cant get back to where he was at and illarramendi hasnt done enough to be in the starting team. toni kroos doesnt have enough discipline to play the defensive role either, but i presume you already know all that :rolleyes:

Correct i do :-)

Correct i do :-)

so if carrick was at madrid right now he wouldnt be on their starting 11? of course he would

• Main points apparently were:
    • Michael Carrick has signed a new deal
    • Shaw and Rojo will NOT start on Sunday
    • RVP is back running as he steps up his recovery
    • Giggs' influence will help at Anfield

Good as I thought, points towards same 11 with Smalling and Jones in the heart of defence

carrick 10 years at united, what a ****ing legend, no bull**** and a super player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

What can he do that blind cant only better?

Carrick is better than Blind, he made the big difference against spurs, like Neville said earlier in the season Blinds passing is too passive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement