Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

beno619 wrote: »
    Carrick is better than Blind, he made the big difference against spurs, like Neville said earlier in the season Blinds passing is too passive.

I'd say Carrick is more composed, better at picking a pass and helps us control the game. Blind has better energy, less susceptible to being closed down as he moves so much and better at closing people down. I hope we start with Carrick. Blind will likely play left back again with Shaw confirmed not starting.

Carrick has that eye for a through ball from deep that we had been lacking with him out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Carrick is a better passer than Blind, and he protects the defence better too, Carrick's positioning is far superior. There isn't much between them athletically, which is alarming for Blind given Carrick's age. Blind's one edge is his versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Blind was always going to be a multipurpose squad player more than a starter. Can see Liverpool trying to target his lack of pace

It's going to be interesting to see how Van Gaal sets up against a 343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm flying from Dublin during the match on Sunday. Will anywhere in terminal 1 be showing it do you know?

A hit and hope but I watched the first Cambridge match on BBC in Liverpool airport.

I'll have my laptop to stream hopefully.

I think Blind was always going to be a multipurpose squad player more than a starter. Can see Liverpool trying to target his lack of pace

It's going to be interesting to see how Van Gaal sets up against a 343

If we start with the same team that played against Tottenham it'd be great. Rooney leads the line so well and looks to be on great form. I don't see Falcao playing unless he comes on towards the end if we need to try something different or just to rest Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm flying from Dublin during the match on Sunday. Will anywhere in terminal 1 be showing it do you know?

A hit and hope but I watched the first Cambridge match on BBC in Liverpool airport.

I'll have my laptop to stream hopefully.

You could try the Gate Clock bar which I'm pretty sure has screens anyway, its after security, couldn't tell you exactly where it is though. Dunno if the Garden terrace will show it, but you could try there too.

If we start with the same team that played against Tottenham it'd be great. Rooney leads the line so well and looks to be on great form. I don't see Falcao playing unless he comes on towards the end if we need to try something different or just to rest Rooney.

Falcao is done at this stage, it was a loan deal too good to turn down that just didn't work out for plenty of reasons. Can't see him getting much game time if we're playing with one striker and with RVP regaining fitness

He'll move elsewhere and start banging them in again I'm sure

Falcao is done at this stage, it was a loan deal too good to turn down that just didn't work out for plenty of reasons. Can't see him getting much game time if we're playing with one striker and with RVP regaining fitness

He'll move elsewhere and start banging them in again I'm sure

Diego Forlan-esque spell you might say. Sure if he came on tomorrow and scored 2 to win the game then he'll probably slap them in for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It could just be that Falcao isn't the player he was before the bad injury. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

When is last time Utd have really dominated a game in Anfield and deservedly won?
    Last couple of wins have had a bit of smash and grab about them. I have vague recollection of winning there in 01/02 and 02/03 but can't remember specifics of them games and had another couple of wins in mid 2000s.

Was it season before treble when Becks banged in that class reverse free kick over David James' head in off the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Everybody that's been interviewed about Sunday's game has us as underdogs.Good.Less pressure on us and all the expectation on Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When is last time Utd have really dominated a game in Anfield and deservedly won?
    Last couple of wins have had a bit of smash and grab about them. I have vague recollection of winning there in 01/02 and 02/03 but can't remember specifics of them games and had another couple of wins in mid 2000s.

Was it season before treble when Becks banged in that class reverse free kick over David James' head in off the bar?

04/05 even though we only won 1-0. We were better side in 2-1 win in October 2012 too

zerks wrote: »
    Everybody that's been interviewed about Sunday's game has us as underdogs.Good.Less pressure on us and all the expectation on Liverpool.

Liverpool have been well backed from 13\8 into 11\10. United drifting from 12\5 to 13\5.

I'm glad too. All pressure on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Apart from on poor Falcao, half of United fans are expecting him to score two on Sunday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Apart from poor Falcao, half of United fans are expecting him to score two on Sunday :pac:

He will be brought on in the 77th at 1-0 down and will channel the spirit of Forlan and you damn well know it. :D

Liverpool fans have been saying how crap we are every week since August, apart from last week funnily enough

Perfect opportunity for them to prove their superiority you'd think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

He will be brought on in the 77th at 1-0 down and will channel the spirit of Forlan and you damn well know it. :D

Who'd bet against Mignolet dropping one :D

Liverpool have been well backed from 13\8 into 11\10. United drifting from 12\5 to 13\5.

I'm glad too. All pressure on them.

Just to add

Actually the 1-0 win in 07/08 we were impressive in too. Tevez with the goal. Teas just before Xmas if I'm not mistaken we wore nice black jersey. Hargreaves was excellent

The only smash and grab was the O Shea winner season before. I was with 2 Liverpool fans that day and just me. I tore the roof down of what was a family pub in Park gate street in Dublin that day. We deserved to get a 6-0 drubbing. It made it sweet though

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool fans have been saying how crap we are every week since August, apart from last week funnily enough

Perfect opportunity for them to prove their superiority you'd think

From what I can see, huge numbers of utd fans are have been saying since August how awful ye have been too in case you didn't notice.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    From what I can see, huge numbers of utd fans are have been saying since August how awful ye have been too in case you didn't notice.

Including myself

But it's put up or shut up time for Liverpool on Sunday morning

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Including myself

Personally I hope they do it on Sunday afternoon, not morning. Ye can win the morning game. ;)

Alos, Liverpool were beyond crap before December, so there was a lot of ground to make up.

3wZ4pDb.png

Liverpool's goals from the last 5 games,Smalling will need to be on top form considering they love attacking from that side,very dependent on Sterling...although notice how the majority have been scored from around the 18 yard line.

Or how awful Liverpool have been. Rayne being one.

Both teams have been equally useless, albeit at different stages.

Just to add

Actually the 1-0 win in 07/08 we were impressive in too. Tevez with the goal. Teas just before Xmas if I'm not mistaken we wore nice black jersey. Hargreaves was excellent

The only smash and grab was the O Shea winner season before. I was with 2 Liverpool fans that day and just me. I tore the roof down of what was a family pub in Park gate street in Dublin that day. We deserved to get a 6-0 drubbing. It made it sweet though

Iirc Anderson played in that 07 win and he was superb

rarnes1 wrote: »

Ya Liverpool were very poor up to December and have been very good since. Thought ye were lucky to beat Southampton and Swansea were wasteful but in between some very nice football with City result being the best performance.

United have saved their best for the big games, its only reason I think it will be draw otherwise it be Liverpool all way for me Sunday. Last week would give me confidence if we played with same desire and sharpness.

Its tough one call Sunday. I be sitting on fence.

• Advertisement

Personally I hope they do it on Sunday afternoon, not morning. Ye can win the morning game. ;)

Alos, Liverpool were beyond crap before December, so there was a lot of ground to make up.

I have Sunday free so morning doesn't start till at least 1pm

Yes Liverpool were crap, but there was a a lot saying things like "if we get our act together we'll finish ahead of that poor United team" etc at the time, come Sunday evening if United are still ahead maybe that'll put a cork in it for now

Ya Liverpool were very poor up to December and have been very good since. Thought ye were lucky to beat Southampton and Swansea were wasteful but in between some very nice football with City result being the best performance.

United have saved their best for the big games, its only reason I think it will be draw otherwise it be Liverpool all way for me Sunday. Last week would give me confidence if we played with same desire and sharpness.

Its tough one call Sunday. I be sitting on fence.

It is hard to call.

I'd not be too unhappy with a draw to be honest.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Like yourself too?

Saying Liverpool were awful first half and good second half of the season is more a fact than a controversial opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

3wZ4pDb.png

Liverpool's goals from the last 5 games,Smalling will need to be on top form considering they love attacking from that side,very dependent on Sterling...although notice how the majority have been scored from around the 18 yard line.

You have to get up very early to beat De Gea from that range.

n2l7AKK.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just to add

Apologies, I totally forgot about that 07/08 game. Anderson was excellent that day too, roasted Gerrard. Ah what might have been!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Maybe its time to open the match thread, the tension between both sets of fans has spilled over into this thread, the top 4 thread, the Paul Ince thread and the poor evertonians got caught in the cross fire by one rogue liverpool fan who was just spraying bullets everywhere.

O the humanity,

*they were also the only threads I opened today it could have spread over the whole forum.

May the lord have mercy on our souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Have seen Depay linked but hadn't seen much of him looked at this and he looks a decent baller https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fTfYhKCBLLI

Depending on various results this weekend, we could end up as high as 2nd (the unlikeliest scenario) or as low as 5th (a bit more likely)

Last Sunday's performance has me intrigued, so much so that I wouldn't take the draw if it was offered now. I know I could end up taking that back tomorrow when after 10 minutes Liverpool are 1-0 up and United down to 10 men, but if United come out with anything like what they showed last Sunday, then it's 'game on' IMO.

That is a big 'if' though. Obviously the players can do it, I don't doubt that they're talented individuals, but why was it not until against Spurs last week that we saw something resembling the way a top team should play and take and finish chances? And yes Spurs were bad, but so were many of the other teams who United struggled against since January.

What if there is a chance that something has finally clicked? Before the Spurs game, LVG said that he was amazed with the response he had seen in training all week after the Arsenal defeat. Also, the night before the Spurs match, Rooney as captain called a team meeting in their hotel in which Marouane Fellaini said he gave a "very important speech". I imagine Rooney laying some truth down about the run-in and what is expected/what it will take from the rest of the players. Interesting to note that it was a players-only meeting, no coaching staff including LVG and Giggs. Whether that talk directly resulted in Sunday's performance, or just barely, it's still great stuff to see from Rooney.

I'd love to see a captain's performance from him tomorrow and it's a game like this where it is most needed. It can't be one of those days where there's numerous camera close-ups of a red-faced, pissed-off and misfiring Rooney, it just can't be.

Liverpool are in form of course and playing some nice stuff more often than not now, plus they always raise their game against United so there's a mountain to climb one way or another. Simply, if the players can show the hunger and work-rate that was on display last Sunday then there's 3 points on offer. However, taking Liverpool out of the equation, it's United playing away. That alone is a cause for concern.

I said above though that I wouldn't take the draw if offered now, so that means that I have a shred of hope of some winning result. In this world of hope against the odds I'll go with either a 0-1 where United grab a very late winner against the run of play and some vital stops from DDG during the game, or a 1-2 where United go 0-2 up early and Liverpool get one back quickly and pressure for the rest of a nervy game.

A 'must win' game if United want to keep up with Arsenal never mind City. A 'must not lose' game to stay in the Top 4. Squeaky-bum time indeed. See you guys tomorrow sometime around 3.20pm when I'm back here saying "I've made a mistake, we'll take the draw".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All things considered Rooney has been a pretty great captain this year. I take it all back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bangkok wrote: »
    so if carrick was at madrid right now he wouldnt be on their starting 11? of course he would

No he wouldn't.

Don't be so silly.

They binned players the calibre of Alonso and Makelele but you think Carrick would be good enough?

Im not saying Carrick is a bad player, he does a job for United when the team is set up right but to even suggest that he would be in their starting 11 at any point in his career, never mind now as a 34 year old is probably one of the most ridiculous things Ive read in the sea of ridiculousness that have been your contributions on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This article suggests that Falcao is worried about getting injured again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31995728

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

markc91 wrote: »
    Have seen Depay linked but hadn't seen much of him looked at this and he looks a decent baller https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fTfYhKCBLLI

Watched PSV v Feyenoord a couple weeks back and I thought he was fantastic, Would love to have him in a United shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Discodog wrote: »
    This article suggests that Falcao is worried about getting injured again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31995728

This article suggests that he doesn't like playing lower league or reserve sides as they're likely to kick the legs off him.
    Wouldn't blame him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No he wouldn't.

Don't be so silly.

They binned players the calibre of Alonso and Makelele but you think Carrick would be good enough?

Im not saying Carrick is a bad player, he does a job for United when the team is set up right but to even suggest that he would be in their starting 11 at any point in his career, never mind now as a 34 year old is probably one of the most ridiculous things Ive read in the sea of ridiculousness that have been your contributions on here.

The fact they binned those players doesn't indicate they weren't good enough for Real, it indicates that Real are poor at building football teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Including myself

Are you not the guy who was saying that Liverpool were going well in the race for 7th no so long ago? I'd say they're well on track for that now don't ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

keane2097 wrote: »

Hopefully we'll see the best of Di Maria next season, numbers are arnt bad even though he hasn't been great since November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This pic is over in the humor thread since last night

MrMac84 wrote: »
    This pic is over in the humor thread since last night

Seems to match up with the usual standard of funniness in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No he wouldn't.

Don't be so silly.

but yet thomas gravesen could play defensive midfield for them and carrick now or at 27-28 years of age wouldnt make it for them, now you are the one being silly.

real currently dont really have a good defensive midfielder, hence the majority of their problems at the moment. Carrick would be a perfect partner for either modric or kroos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

in fairness, coutinho cost 8m di maria cost 60m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

bangkok wrote: »
    in fairness, coutinho cost 8m di maria cost 60m

So hes a world class 8 million player? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Really got the feeling Kane will end up at Utd. sooner or later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement