Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

If there is one fixture in football that has defined my life this is it. Nothing else comes close. And I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

I remember in 1985, when I was only 12, watching the FA Cup semi-final replay where Paul McGrath scored an own goal to give them the lead. After we came back to go in front through Robson and Hughes I could barely watch the rest of the game for fear that 'they' were going to score an equaliser and then a winner. I suppose from then on it was always a case of looking through squinted eyes and today is no different.

The notion of United losing this and them going above us in the table is too awful to even think about. Ok there is plenty of football left in the season but a win for us today would be fkucking huge. Earlier in the week I was going along with the notion that I'd settle for a draw but fcuk that...

Come on, United!!
    My greatest Utd v pool memory is the 79 FA cup semi final replay when Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winner. It was a special moment as Liverpool were all conquering at the time and Utd were pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I haven't a clue who will win today to be honest. I have a bet on United, but I also know that one swallow doesn't make a summer, and one good performance doesn't necessarily mean a corner has been turned. It is after all only two games ago that we had an absolutely dire 2nd half against Arsenal.

My big worry is the belief that we need to sit back against Liverpools counter attacking game, or the mentality that we have to avoid defeat. That scared mentality is what had us playing crap all season, in the first half against Arsenal we went out and actually played with passion, went looking for the ball and tried to play football. Thats what we need to do again, if we sit and try to play percentages again we will lose this game. Hopefully the players will have the belief to actually go out and play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Like who?

It should be the same team as last week with/without di Maria.

The team will be the same as last week. But the likes of Jones Young Mata and Fellani will all need to play very well or they will be linked with an exit from OT. These big games will see whether the are up to it under LVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Robson99 wrote: »
    The team will be the same as last week. But the likes of Jones Young Mata and Fellani will all need to play very well or they will be linked with an exit from OT. These big games will see whether the are up to it under LVG

Ha Fellaini and young linked with an exit.

Do you even watch soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

A Fellaini winner after not being sent off for an obvious elbow would suit me just grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Will throw a few bob on man utd @ 13/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is it fair to say this is the most 50-50 United Liverpool game in a long long time, and in terms of the quality(performances more so) of the sides the poorest also??

Ha Fellaini and young linked with an exit.

Do you even watch soccer?

Fellani was linked with an exit last summer. He a played as many poor games as good ones this season. If he doesn't perform in remaining games this season then he will be surplus to requirements.
    Young is an average player at best. If Depay or some other winger comes in then I think Young will also leave. He is on massive wages and we need a better standard of player

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mata starts! DiMaria on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Mata starts! DiMaria on the bench.
    Correct call from LVG IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Robson99 wrote: »
    Fellani was linked with an exit last summer. He a played as many poor games as good ones this season. If he doesn't perform in remaining games this season then he will be surplus to requirements.
    Young is an average player at best. If Depay or some other winger comes in then I think Young will also leave. He is on massive wages and we need a better standard of player

Despite my dislike for Young starting important games, he's a good squad player and has a place there. Your Fellaini comment is baffling because it's hard to think of 2 games where he's been bad let alone more bad than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There's lots of talk, from posters and journalists, about how Liverpool will press, which is probably true. But I think the fact they give the ball away so cheaply will mean that the pressing will fade a lot as the game goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Imagine telling United fans a few years back we'd go into a huge game v pool with young Fellaini and carrick playing and falcoa Di maria and valdes would be on the bench! You'd be commited!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

My ****ing nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Im off to boil the kettle :) Anyone for tea?

• Advertisement

Big big game for jones and smalling!!

Im off to boil the kettle :) Anyone for tea?

Anything stronger going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Taking rumours from the freaking lad bible.

That's a new low, even for you.

Wasn't a rumour, bang on the money 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tempo tempo tempo. That's what will decide it today. If Utd have the tempo of last week with and without possession, then they are at the very least a match for Liverpool and good enough to beat them.

Tempo of the vast majority of games this season have been too slow and if that Utd team turn up I think Liverpool will steam roller them.

Pretty simplistic analysis but I do think it's the absolute key to the game.

Mick. I'll be sure to get some analysis from the lads and post here. They all say hi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Big big game for jones and smalling!!

Ya,hopefully they won't suffer from any brain freezes,

Let's do this sh1t,

Come on Utd.

LvG being interviewed on Sky. Absolute legend.

Wearing flip flops and white socks as he does it. What a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pro. F wrote: »
    There's lots of talk, from posters and journalists, about how Liverpool will press, which is probably true. But I think the fact they give the ball away so cheaply will mean that the pressing will fade a lot as the game goes on.

That was the big factor for them last season,however it takes a lot of energy and the longer a game goes on without them scoring then they fade.

Documentary on Rooney an the streets he played on.

I hope Bangkok didn't miss it

Missed it,had SSN on-hard to take your eyes off Hayley's bewbs.:)

zerks wrote: »
    That was the big factor for them last season,however it takes a lot of energy and the longer a game goes on without them scoring then they fade.

Hopefully they do that.
    We have a bit of pace to counter that with Rooney and young, quick passing from mata and Herrera and outlet with Fellaini.

Hopefully they do that.
    We have a bit of pace to counter that with Rooney and young, quick passing from mata and Herrera and outlet with Fellaini.

Had a look in the match thread-fook that!! The scousers are giving it large about us playing hoofball.They are quick to forget Gerard's long balls over the top last season for Suarez & Sturridge.

I couldn't give a **** if we hoof it to Fellaini and he scores in 91' for a 1-0 smash and grab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Had a look in the match thread-fook that!! The scousers are giving it large about us playing hoofball.They are quick to forget Gerard's long balls over the top last season for Suarez & Sturridge.

They're "passes" though. Rolls eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Instigated by a Utd fan for the most part.

Have to love M!ck flying the flag of War in the match thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Would not mind if Fellaini did a John O'Shea on it today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We are playing good stuff so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a work of art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The philosophy ;) great use of the ball so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

A win would be a huge leap towards securing a CL place and cap off a fantastic weekend.

Only negative is that the defence is still so ropey.

Rooney very poor so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Montroseee wrote: »
    A win would be a huge leap towards securing a CL place and cap off a fantastic weekend.

Only negative is that the defence is still so ropey.
    Still possible to win the league. You can tell they are playing as a team now, but maybe just a tad late perhaps this season. Though a convincing 2 or 3 nil victory today after Spurs and there's no reason Utd cannot go on win their remaining games - 83 points. Depends if they really want it, and if Di Maria and Falcao step it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I know I've complained about the lack of forward football but in a game of this magnitude when you are one nil up there's no need to force the issue and play 50 50 passes forward when you can play it safe

Control the ball and we'll win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Hopefully we can keep them quite for the first 20 mins of the second half. Well need a second goal but great stuff so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

K4t wrote: »
    Still possible to win the league. You can tell they are playing as a team now, but maybe just a tad late perhaps this season. Though a convincing 2 or 3 nil victory today after Spurs and there's no reason Utd cannot go on win their remaining games - 83 points. Depends if they really want it, and if Di Maria and Falcao step it up.

If Liverpool win this, I'm blaming you.

Anyone else see Smalling running into the box with the ball.

Brilliant

J. Marston wrote: »
    If Liverpool win this, I'm blaming you.
    Bizarre. If Utd win, and go on to win the league, I'll be expecting thanks so. ;)

• Advertisement

Herrera is a gem in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Hope to god Mata stays this Summer.

Brilliant
    Far better 'footballer' than he's given credit for. Great at making those bursting runs forward, though he kind of saunters I suppose!

Brilliant

He still scares me at times at the back when he steps on the ball and stumbles with his canoes for feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Yeah a great powerfull run he gets to the edge of the box and thinks oh crap what do i do now :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement