Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nasty looking skinned knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hococop wrote: »
    Nasty looking skinned knee

Imagine the sting when he went for his shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I've been run'in

Until the love runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Brendan Rodgers defending Skrtel's stamp on De Gea:

"Martin's just not that type of player."

Oh-really-gif_1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://vimeo.com/122913051

Fan footage of Mata's goals

• Nib wrote: »
    While Mata will get all the headlines tomorrow I thought Phil Jones was immense for us today, the man puts his own safety on the line so much so it's bordering on suicide. He can be very rash at times but this will peter out as he gains more experience. He reminds me of John Terry in his early years, hopefully he can be as good as him (best defender in PL era IMO). That tackle on Lallana early on brought a huge smile to my face, didn't see much of Lallana after that.

CAuLbGWUUAA7Bs5.png

Anyway, thought I'd give my two cents after an epic match thread. :D

Thanks to your post of the year!! :)

• https://vimeo.com/122913051

Fan footage of Mata's goals

So jealous, what I would have paid to be there.
    Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My new sig is a gift to you all by the way.

<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So jealous, what I would have paid to be there.
    Great stuff

Looks unreal. Your man catches some footage, uploaded another on facebook of Balotelli giving United fans the finger after the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't know what you are all faffing about

Mata doesn't even get into the Spanish team, nothing player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Conchy wrote: »
    I think he has a dodgy hip that's why he doesn't walk the touchline much

I don't expect him to turn into a touchline manager but something as simple as telling the players to up their pressing isn't asking much if he noticed it was in issue. Still I don't want to bitch on an almost perfect weekend (Damn you Calgary Flames)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Still can't stop grinning like an idiot :D

What a change around in the last 2 weeks. It was all doom and gloom after the loss to Arsenal and Swansea but the players responded incredibly well. Hopefully we finish the season strongly.

Loving what Van Gaal is trying to do, after reading his interviews I'm convinced he will be a success here but needs time. I never had a time for him when he used the **** 3-5-2 and it was blessing in disguise that RVP was injured. Gave him chance to tryout his favorite formation without any pressure of keeping big names on the bench.

Also reading his interview it's obvious that players need time to adapt to his methods. He said he expects players to think and change the way they play during the game which is not a bad thing to do at all. But it needs 11 players to think in the same line.

It's the start of the season that killed us, had we signed all our players before preseason we might have done little better. Still can't complain about how we are shaping up, hopefully we are closer to the title next season.

On the defense, can't believe how well Smalling is playing, his confidence is back and you can see it in the way he carries the ball forward.

Hopefully Arsenal win against Liverpool, so that with a win against Villa we can have some breathing space between 4th and 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

K0rziWW.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »

What a change around in the last 2 weeks. It was all doom and gloom after the loss to Arsenal and Swansea but the players responded incredibly well. Hopefully we finish the season strongly.

Loving what Van Gaal is trying to do, after reading his interviews I'm convinced he will be a success here but needs time. I never had a time for him when he used the **** 3-5-2 and it was blessing in disguise that RVP was injured. Gave him chance to tryout his favorite formation without any pressure of keeping big names on the bench.

Also reading his interview it's obvious that players need time to adapt to his methods. He said he expects players to think and change the way they play during the game which is not a bad thing to do at all. But it needs 11 players to think in the same line.

It's the start of the season that killed us, had we signed all our players before preseason we might have done little better. Still can't complain about how we are shaping up, hopefully we are closer to the title next season.

On the defense, can't believe how well Smalling is playing, his confidence is back and you can see it in the way he carries the ball forward.

Hopefully Arsenal win against Arsenal, so that with a win against Villa we can have some breathing space between 4th and 5th.

There were still a few panicky moments from both Smalling and Jones. Neither of them can play the ball out from the left side so whoever is there has a tougher job, yesterday it was Jones and you could see him just putting the ball out instead of trying something with it. Still not sold on Smalling though he is looking better than over Christmas and up to February where I had no time for him. Need Rojo back in the team for one of them pronto. How many games does Evans have left out?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    There were still a few panicky moments from both Smalling and Jones. Neither of them can play the ball out from the left side so whoever is there has a tougher job, yesterday it was Jones and you could see him just putting the ball out instead of trying something with it. Still not sold on Smalling though he is looking better than over Christmas and up to February where I had no time for him. Need Rojo back in the team for one of them pronto. How many games does Evans have left out?

Smalling has all the attributes to be an excellent CB, he just needs to stay fit. Yeah was worried about Jones and his reckless tackles but never worried about Smalling except when he dribbled all the way to Liverpool box and didn't know what to do. Should have passed to some attacker after carrying the ball so far.

IMO this pair has potential to be our long term CB like the initial plan but all depends on their injuries. For now if I have to change, I would say Rojo for Jones and leave the defense like it is. Too late in the season to try anything.

Evans still has 3 more games.

Smalling has all the attributes to be an excellent CB, he just needs to stay fit. Yeah was worried about Jones and his reckless tackles but never worried about Smalling except when he dribbled all the way to Liverpool box and didn't know what to do. Should have passed to some attacker after carrying the ball so far.

IMO this pair has potential to be our long term CB like the initial plan but all depends on their injuries. For now if I have to change, I would say Rojo for Jones and leave the defense like it is. Too late in the season to try anything.

Evans still has 3 more games.

For that CB pairing to work one of them will have to get very good with their left foot which at this stage I can't see happening. Even Evans who is very proficient with his left has had trouble on that side this season.

BTW, isn't it wonderful to win a game by scoring 2 fantastic goals after so much **** posted about our playing style and Fellaini? In the first half and later in the second half the way we controlled the game was brilliant. Never seen us doing that at Anfield.

Also checking last year's record against big teams, forget about points we rarely scored goals. (Just stats from teams finished above us)
    Vs Chelsea - 1 goal
    Vs City - 1 goal
    Vs Liverpool - 0 goals
    Vs Spurs - 3 goals
    Vs Everton - 0 goals
    Vs Arsenal - 1 goal

This season
    Vs Chelsea - 1 goal - Still away game left
    Vs City - 0 goal - Home game left
    Vs Liverpool - 5 goals
    Vs Spurs - 3 goals
    Vs Everton - 2 goals Away game left
    Vs Arsenal - 2 goals home game left.

Last season scored 6 goals, this season 13 goals and 4 games left.

For that CB pairing to work one of them will have to get very good with their left foot which at this stage I can't see happening. Even Evans who is very proficient with his left has had trouble on that side this season.

I don't agree with that. Vidic was not very good with his left foot but he was great as LCB. Like I said I wouldn't mind Smalling - Rojo pair.

Our flops vs best players in the league.

CAw7YLHUwAAvnQB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So Villa next.

Should be another 3 points.

Saints away to Everton, LFC away to Arsenal.

A win for us and 2 draws would be fantastic and would secure 4th.

Id fancy us to get something at home vs City too.

Second is in our own hands.

Which is nice.

:)

Serious ball from Herrara for the Special Juan's goal.

So Villa next.

Should be another 3 points.

Saints away to Everton, LFC away to Arsenal.

A win for us and 2 draws would be fantastic and would secure 4th.

Id fancy us to get something at home vs City too.

Second is in our own hands.

Which is nice.

:)

Serious ball from Herrara for the Special Juan's goal.

Hopefully Arsenal wins against Liverpool which should put us 8 points ahead of Liverpool (if we win against Villa). Following that we have games against Chelsea, City, Everton and Liverpool have bit easier games. So we need that breathing space. **** 3rd, I would gladly take 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Hopefully Arsenal win against Arsenal, so that with a win against Villa we can have some breathing space between 4th and 5th.

Even Wenger should be able to manage that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Even Wenger should be able to manage that :D

I like :)

Conchy wrote: »
    Great to get the victory, just when we were starting to build a bit of momentum it's time for the international break :(
    Said that already !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hococop wrote: »
    Mata mata mata
    He didn't get Juan
    He got two

Haha I'm not great at these

Verse 2

Mata, Mata, Mata
    Hits Juan two
    Gives Scousers Liverflu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Other teams around us have momentum aswell with Liverpool the only team in the top 9 not winning at the weekend, Aston Villa at home should be a good fixture to return to.

My concern would be that we have a few south american players in our squad nowadays (5 yesterdays match squad*) and they'll need to travel a distance and could suffer from fatigue. As someone on Twitter pointed out yesterday - our bench looked like a Mexican Drug Cartel!

*I take it Rafael isnt getting a game for Brazil these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Phil Jones has the makings of a captain in the future imo. Hopefully Giggsy and the rest of the training and development team can lead the club into the new era after Fergie and the Unfortunate One. I'd like to see Ryan take the manager position after Van Gaal sees out his current contract. I don't think he'd like to be at another club, he's born and bred a Red and will stay a Red (I hope!)

Other teams around us have momentum aswell with Liverpool the only team in the top 9 not winning at the weekend, Aston Villa at home should be a good fixture to return to.

My concern would be that we have a few south american players in our squad nowadays (5 yesterdays match squad*) and they'll need to travel a distance and could suffer from fatigue. As someone on Twitter pointed out yesterday - our bench looked like a Mexican Drug Cartel!

*I take it Rafael isnt getting a game for Brazil these days?
    De Gea

Valencia Jones Smalling Blind

Carrick Herrera

Mata Fellaini Young

Rooney

That's the team in our last 2 games and we have only 1 South American. You can make it 2 with Di Maria in place of Young.

Rafael for sure won't be going anywhere so if Valencia is tired then Rafael in place of Valencia. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Fantastic win yesterday, great to see Mata make such a positive impression and really taking his chance the last few games.

Was very disappointed with Di Maria when he came on, except for the assist. Should of found Rooney for a third. Really thought he would step up after losing his place and seeing the team play so well in his absence. hopefully he plays his way into form over the last few games and shows us the quality player he is next season!

Everyone was speaking about Liverpools momentum before the game and I really believe the last 2 games have set us up for a strong finish to the season. A win against City is looking very good now based on recent form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Can't wait for matas blog today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

There is still an element of coasting or dropping off when united get a lead that needs to be worked on. First half against spurs and again yesterday when 2 nil up. Rooney and di maria were poor by their standards but the rest of the players were exceptional. There must have been something discussed about balancing ball possession and creating chances in the last few weeks but we are finally seeing a big team improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

De Gea

Valencia Jones Smalling Blind

Carrick Herrera

Mata Fellaini Young

Rooney

That's the team in our last 2 games and we have only 1 South American. You can make it 2 with Di Maria in place of Young.

Rafael for sure won't be going anywhere so if Valencia is tired then Rafael in place of Valencia. Shouldn't be a problem.

Squad not a team right? We'll need Rojo and Falcao to be playing their part when called upon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jebforever wrote: »
    Phil Jones has the makings of a captain in the future imo. Hopefully Giggsy and the rest of the training and development team can lead the club into the new era after Fergie and the Unfortunate One. I'd like to see Ryan take the manager position after Van Gaal sees out his current contract. I don't think he'd like to be at another club, he's born and bred a Red and will stay a Red (I hope!)

Van Gaal's contract is only 3 years though. If he is successful, I'd like him to stay much longer than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Van Gaal's contract is only 3 years though. If he is successful, I'd like him to stay much longer than that!

I don't think he will. He has spoken a lot about how this is his last job in football and he how he wants to spend time with his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't particularly like this guy's screams and talking into the mic but good footage of the crowd and Mata's 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Can't wait for matas blog today :)

:D

http://juanmata8.com/blog/en/a-double-joy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

LvG will set the team straight, sort out the academy and basically put in place the structure that the club has lacked for years. The next manager will have a much easier job as everything should be set up for him.

I don't think Giggs is near ready, and maybe another apprenticeship or two as Assistant Manager would suit him, or better yet- a managerial role in another league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kate sums up the mood this morning.

kate-upton-dance-gif.gif

Best week as a United fan since April 2013.

• Advertisement

Squad not a team right? We'll need Rojo and Falcao to be playing their part when called upon.

Oh yeah, missed that. Still I don't think it's an issue. We should be beating Villa with the players we have.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I don't think he will. He has spoken a lot about how this is his last job in football and he how he wants to spend time with his family.

He said this is his last job but if there is a chance he will extend his contract.
    Asked to confirm if United will be his last management job in football, van Gaal said: “Yes, but it can still be five years, I can extend my contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is still an element of coasting or dropping off when united get a lead that needs to be worked on. First half against spurs and again yesterday when 2 nil up. Rooney and di maria were poor by their standards but the rest of the players were exceptional. There must have been something discussed about balancing ball possession and creating chances in the last few weeks but we are finally seeing a big team improvement

Its a problem, even in our good performances we have seen very noticeable drops in performance in the 2nd half. It would concern me more if we were still in a cup as it will eventually cost us games, and I think we will get away with it from here on in, but its still something that needs to be addressed. Why is this drop off happening? Against Arsenal I believe it was down to the managers instructions, against Spurs it was understandable, but why did it happen against the 10 men of Liverpool?

• Best hangover in work ever, oh the fun that was had at breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't particularly like this guy's screams and talking into the mic but good footage of the crowd and Mata's 2nd

The old lad trying to hold on to his hat :D

I wouldn't get too excited lads, my sources tell me United only beat Spurs and Liverpool because Liverpool and Spurs were both unusually terrible combined with United's sudden proficiency in hoofball caught them unawares. Why else would Sterling and Kane, England's great hopes, do jack for the entire games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gerrard getting sent off after 40 seconds...in his last game against us...

im still finding the space to let that sink in.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looking like Wilson will be off on loan to Derby for the rest of the season. He's no chance of displacing anyone when we're playing one striker anyway.

The Mail say Juventus have opened talks with Falcao with regards signing him for next season, after LVG decided to turn down the chance to sign him.

I wouldn't get too excited lads, my sources tell me United only beat Spurs and Liverpool because Liverpool and Spurs were both unusually terrible combined with United's sudden proficiency in hoofball caught them unawares. Why else would Sterling and Kane, England's great hopes, do jack for the entire games?

Worst United team in last 20 years and I keep hearing that every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gerrard getting sent off after 40 seconds...in his last game against us...

im still finding the space to let that sink in.....

Its interesting the difference between Gerrards impact on Liverpool as he ages, and that of Scholes and Giggs for us.

Scholes and Giggs in their late 30's were prepared to play a role for us, not playing every game and even having a few poor games, but more frequently they came on and bolstered the team with their experience and innate quality.

To me it seems like Gerrard just cannot accept that his role has changed and its to the detriment of that team. He has now cost them big time for the second year in a row, and for a long time its been clear that they are a better side without him. He should be man enough to accept that, like Lampard accepted a reduced role at City, but instead he seems all frustrated and bitter about not getting a new contract. When that frustration manifests itself like it did yesterday, well, its ridiculous that a senior player should let his team down like that.

Actually maybe my favourite thing was the concerted effort from the Anfield crowd to shout "hoooof!" at every long pass and only actually having the opportunity to do so like twice in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Actually maybe my favourite thing was the concerted effort from the Anfield crowd to shout "hoooof!" at every long pass and only actually having the opportunity to do so like twice in the first half.

Or maybe the best part was Fellaini playing lovely technical football with his feet. A big middle finger to the hoofball comments. Or the fact that Liverpool just couldn't stop the beast from running at them. He reminded me of Yaya Toure of old yesterday. Parting the midfield like Moses at the Red Sea. We've seen Toure do it so often.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement