Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I don't think he will. He has spoken a lot about how this is his last job in football and he how he wants to spend time with his family.
    LVG wrote:

"I can confirm this will be my last club but there could be five years to go yet," he added.

"I can extend my contract. I've signed for three years because in three years you can build something. When Manchester United ask me to extend, then I shall decide. But this is my last club."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9771543/manchester-united-boss-louis-van-gaal-says-he-snubbed-liverpool-in-2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    K0rziWW.jpg

I don't think any player enjoys a team mate scoring as much as Rooney does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He said this is his last job but if there is a chance he will extend his contract.

Cool, never saw that quote before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

When Manchester United ask me to extend

Confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I don't think any player enjoys a team mate scoring as much as Rooney does.

One of the best things this season was the Shaw and Rooney synchronised celebtrating vs West Ham.

Also, loved Herrera's reaction to Mata's second yesterday.

Confidence

Hah! Looks like that but it could just as easily be the language barrier. I've often heard foreigners use 'when' for 'if'. French people do this a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hopefully get a 0-0 between Liverpool and Arsenal when the league returns. Second place here we come! Ahhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I enjoyed the result but I'm still very worried by what happened in the 2nd half. The Liverpool goal summed up the frailty that still permeates the team at the moment.

Di Maria and Rooney combining to fluff a sitter was frustrating. We can't rely on teams not to punish us for mistakes when we don't kill them off.

On the plus side, Smalling has really improved in recent games, Mata was awesome and we functioned very well down the left flank.

Right side still needs attention. Seamus Coleman would be the dream signing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

He wants a move to Barcelona :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    Right side still needs attention. Seamus Coleman would be the dream signing there.

I think if LVG would just play Rafael it would make a huge difference.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the result but I'm still very worried by what happened in the 2nd half. The Liverpool goal summed up the frailty that still permeates the team at the moment.

Di Maria and Rooney combining to fluff a sitter was frustrating. We can't rely on teams not to punish us for mistakes when we don't kill them off.

On the plus side, Smalling has really improved in recent games, Mata was awesome and we functioned very well down the left flank.

Don't think we will go for Coleman - 3 or 4 years on his contact. Everton will want BIG cash for him.

I reckon Clyne is far more likely. Will only have a year on his contract and has apparently told Southampton he won't be signing a new one. Have also read United are very keen on him and he/his agent are well aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No team plays perfect games tho no matter how good the players are. All players make mistakes from Tim to time. yesterday I don't blame them for second half its one of the biggest games of season when a player gets sent off the pressure is immediate put on us were expected to dominate and Liverpool have nothing too loose,
    I think apart from the one or two mistakes it was another professional performance and we soaked up all Liverpool's pressure in second half apart from the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RobertKK wrote: »
    Verse 2

Mata, Mata, Mata
    Hits Juan two
    Gives Scousers Liverflu.

Erm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I hope Arsenal win the weekend 8 points will be a huge gap top 4 is the main thing.

Said it for ages Mata will perform in a fast free flowing system with movement around him. He is a genius imagine when Di Maria gets going and having them on either side with the great one playing behind Rooney.

I just hope he doesn't go back to trying to fit in RVP when he comes back we play better with Rooney up on his own.

As mad as it is to say i wouldn't mind Falcao and RVP leaving in the summer. Get Chicarito back, keep Wilson and maybe another decent back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

From looking at media reports online this morning it looks like skrtel's stamp is being overlooked and gerrard's is being forgiven cos he apologised. Evans got 8 matches for spitting(intentionally or not) yet these 2 tried to cause serious damage and get excused.

How many headers did Fellaini win yesterday another myth that he is poor in the air. He had at least 3 crucial headers away near the end that i can think of what a hero.

Even if he is not first choice next season he is a big weapon in away games and bgg crunch games.

Trilla wrote: »
    Erm.....

Yes I except it is bad and based on an advert.

I also apologise to Liverpool fans :pac:

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How many headers did Fellaini win yesterday another myth that he is poor in the air. He had at least 3 crucial headers away near the end that i can think of what a hero.

Even if he is not first choice next season he is a big weapon in away games and bgg crunch games.

Yeah he is a great player to have. Those headers were good alright, great distance, good as any defender.

Fellaini has exceptional ball control too, which he probably doesn't get enough recognition for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah next season we might see him playing behind Rooney but playing him on wings should not restrict him. He is not playing as winger too, like a playmaker from wide position.

I think we will see a lot of that in the remaining games. Also today's opposition was good, in a great form. Before that he did well against Spurs too. So it's against 2 teams who works very hard and hardly gives any time on the ball. So I'm sort of convinced that he can play that role against any PL team.

Spurs and Liverpool are both a long way short of the best teams.

And I'm not talking about how hard they work and how little time they give you on the ball. Where Liverpool and Spurs (and most or all PL teams) really fall short is how poor they are at keeping possession. That means our wide players don't have to spend so much time out of possession and so don't have to cover as much ground.

Even playing against a well set up defensive team could present problems, as the defensive weaknesses in Mata's game could be exploited by some clever counter attacking.

Maybe it will all work out in the end, but I'm far from convinced yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness to Gerard, I could FULLY appreciate why he came out and started the second half as he did. I've no love for Gerard, I have my opinions of him that frequently clash with Liverpool supporters and football fans in general. But this is a Liverpool vs United game. The stats from yesterday are incredible, but even watching it you could see Liverpool were timid, not pressing hard, and buckled under what was early United pressure. We continued over from the Spurs game with nice triangles, interplay and movement. It was blatant that Liverpool were struggling to get through our midfield, but also deal with our midfield moving forward.

Gerard comes from a not so distant set of fixtures between the two were tackles were flying in, it was about winning the 50/50's and leaving your mark early. Gerard was ALWAYS involved in a borderline tackle, especially at Anfield, to get the crowd going. The crowd seemed flat yesterday for the first half and no one picked up on that a rough tackle would get them going.

Henderson, the much touted replacement for Gerrard( his media coverage the last 10 days were way OTT) made one tackle in the first half. ONE TACKLE.

That Gerard came out and went overboard on the first 50/50 and then stamped on Hererra, was probably born from frustration watching a timid side at home fail to put pressure on United, and allow our midfield just prance around the pitch un-interupted.

Like it made total sense for him to come on. They were loosing the midfield battle and were not imposing themselves, being totally overpowered and out muscled in the first half. He was just to eager.

It was a horrible stamp, he will get his punishment for it and destroyed his little farewell tour. But I'd say being in that dressing room at half time was interesting, I'd say he was tearing into the team.

I think we and others have been quick to slate Van Gaal and the team for the poor performances, but we are always hesitant to admit the corner has been turned. For looking silly if it comes apart, but also wanting consistent evidence that it's not a flash in the pan.

With the way we have dispatched Totenham and Liverpool, I'm comfortable in saying a corner has been turned, some puzzles to Van Gaal have been solved, and there is a solid first XI there to take into this tough run in to ensure top 4 is secured, potentially second.

Some concerns over how we stepped back in the second half and pretty much invited Liverpool onto us, instead of turning the screw. We also stepped of in the Totenham game. My immediate reaction is that it is tactical, kill the game off and control the game, but yesterdays last 20 minutes I was hand on ace for large parts of it.

I suppose an entirely seperate concern relates to the squad, which isn't an issue now as who cares six points from two tough games. But will come more to the front if this first XI is maintained throughout.

Di Maria apart from his assist was wasteful in the extreme yesterday. Young looks far more assured at present. Depay being heavily linked, and slots into that role playing on the left cutting in. Young might be happy to take a reserved role(isn't he nearly 30 now? ) but Di Maria? Can you happily accommodate him and Depay if it happened( I'm convinced it will) , something will give there.

Blind's move to LB allows Carrick to influence from his best position. I really like Blind, and thought he has showed his versatility well. He's slotted into LB without fuss and forged a lovely triangle with Young and Fellaini, while Hererra and Mata maintain one on the right with Valencia. Doesn't bode well for Shaw at €30m. Also possibly point of concern for Rojo?

Smalling really has made leaps and bounds since his red card. His comfort on the ball is probably ticking all the boxes for Van Gaal. I think he has shot himself forward as our #1 CB in the current squad. Can a partnership with Jones really flourish? Should Rojo be in there instead? If the pair do perform excellent until the end of season, will that put doubt into Van Gaal buying a new CB(at most likely top price)

Damn can't stop smiling. Really felt these two games were make or break in the run in. That HAS to provide the confidence and base of performance to avoid slipups against lower teams, and put Chelsea and City to the test. City are there for the taking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »

And I'm not talking about how hard they work and how little time they give you on the ball. Where Liverpool and Spurs (and most or all PL teams) really fall short is how poor they are at keeping possession. That means our wide players don't have to spend so much time out of possession and so don't have to cover as much ground.

Even playing against a well set up defensive team could present problems, as the defensive weaknesses in Mata's game could be exploited by some clever counter attacking.

Seems to be a noticeable pattern emerging in the last two games, too similar for me to say it's just in game development.

We touched on it briefly last week, when I wasn't sure if Fellaini pulling out left onto Walker was in game decision making, or pre-planned. I'm convinced it's pre-planned now.

Going forward, we seem to be developing triangle on the wings, something many Van Gaal commentators indicate is one of his trademarks of his sides, especially his 4-3-3 formations. It happened again yesterday, so it looks like something that has been drilled and he feels it's time to use. It's not something that has even been remotely obvious throughout earlier in the season, so it must be something he feels is right now.

It's transpires most obviously on the left, with Fellaini being a focul point, Young moving parallel or past him, and Blind advancing to receive the ball. I notice when it goes to Blind, Young hugs the line, Fellaini then spins off. So this little triangle keeps forming.

On the right, the same occurs. Herrera is drifting over that side, forming neat passages with Valencia and Mata.

As this develops, as we can see both yesterday and against Spurs, these pockets develop through the middle. We don't really have anyone operating in the traditional 10 role. As the opposition are being pulled wide, pockets open in the middle. This is where we see these CB runs coming from, or Carrick even moving up in a more advanced position. I noted how many times yesterday Herrera( who beautifully lets the ball do all the work) opened him self up and was able to just seamlessly move through the centre unpressed, to either switch the play or play to Rooney centrally.

I think it brings some benefits defensively as well. We can see Herrera drifts to that right side, Fellaini to the left, and Carrick supports the side in possesion, or tracks runners through the middle.

I think the "comfort" PL move is to get the ball wide and gain territory out on the wings. So there should be a fullback, midfielder and wide midfielder able to deal with a winger and overlapping fullback.

I'd say on the flipside, with a team comfortable playing through the middle, we have a bank of three CM's who can tuck in centrally, with wide players providing protection to the fullbacks. This was also noticable against Spurs, and to a certain extent Liverpool yesterday, how these banks just formed defensively. I thought we gave Liverpool impetus to attack us which was incorrect, but felt I could see what was taking place there.

Might be TOTALLY of the boil here, and misreading the situation entirely, but just coupling together some comments from Van Gaal observers, I feel like I'm starting to see a development in what he wants to do, and how it is actually working out.

Somewhat unfortunate it has taken this much time to implement though, and I think he was too tunnel visioned on the 3-5-2 after the success it brought him in the World Cup. I think what we have seen the last few games is more what has set him up in his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

But they are top teams in the league, I was talking about league level, not CL.

Yeah he is not strong defensively but I can see so much improvement when compared to start of the season. He is playing with much higher tempo and with purpose rather than just playing sideways like he did before.

Also disagree about counter attacking part, I think it's a common belief and IMO it's wrong. No matter who plays on the wing if your teammate gives away possession when your teammates committed forward, opponents will counter attack and rip you apart.

It's something midfielders should be covering but can't blame them if they fail to.

For example, when Mata and Valencia are near the Liverpool box and Herrera passes the ball to Carrick who loses it, there is no way Mata and Valencia can go back and defend it. Only way to stop counter attacking is playing cautiously and not committing more players forward.

I'm more worried about can Mata track the full backs overlapping runs and help his Full back? At least in 2 games he was not tested so much but at least the signs are good.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think we and others have been quick to slate Van Gaal and the team for the poor performances, but we are always hesitant to admit the corner has been turned. For looking silly if it comes apart, but also wanting consistent evidence that it's not a flash in the pan.

With the way we have dispatched Totenham and Liverpool, I'm comfortable in saying a corner has been turned, some puzzles to Van Gaal have been solved, and there is a solid first XI there to take into this tough run in to ensure top 4 is secured, potentially second.

Smalling really has made leaps and bounds since his red card. His comfort on the ball is probably ticking all the boxes for Van Gaal. I think he has shot himself forward as our #1 CB in the current squad. Can a partnership with Jones really flourish? Should Rojo be in there instead? If the pair do perform excellent until the end of season, will that put doubt into Van Gaal buying a new CB(at most likely top price)

My worry is what LVG will do when RVP is fit again.

IMO we need to stick with the current set up as much as possible - whatever about the wingers we need to stick with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini in a midfield 3. I worry that he will try to shoe horn RVP back into the side, bringing Rooney back into midfield at the likely expense of Herrera, whom I think has been as important as the lauded Fellaini in recent performances.

If LVG shows the balls he claims to have and benches RVP and Falcao, in order to keep the current system in place, i'll be happy.

As for Smalling, he was playing very well in the games before that sending off - Chelsea and Arsenal games iirc. That City brainfart really was a few steps back for him and also made people feel he had been worse than he was prior to the red. Took some time to get going again after it though.

The issue with Smalling and Jones is consistency - if they can play to their best (and improve) consistently then they can be a very good pair of players. I just can't trust them to not make costly mistakes. I do think Evans could be shown the door in the summer on the back of Smalling and Jones in the last few weeks (especially if they continue this form) as I have no doubt that we will sign a CB, so at least one senior CB will be leaving.

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness to Gerard, I could FULLY appreciate why he came out and started the second half as he did.

We all know why he came out like a bull on heat, but the point is that this is supposed to be their senior player and leader, he doesn't have luxury of acting like a Ballotelli. Theres fire in the belly, and then there is running around like a headless chicken jumping into tackles and stamping on people. Its just ridiculous from what is supposed to be the club captain.

Has there been any word about a retrospective ban for Skyrtle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Moyes 34 games - 57 points
    LVG 30 games - 59 points.

Despite the hiccups along the way with formations, performances etc things are improving. :)

Plus the big game results, and the fact performances are now improving at this time of season.

Ideal scenario is qualify for CL, have a good summer in recruitment, and continue winning performances like v Spurs and Pool.

• Advertisement

IMO we need to stick with the current set up as much as possible - whatever about the wingers we need to stick with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini in a midfield 3. I worry that he will try to shoe horn RVP back into the side, bringing Rooney back into midfield at the likely expense of Herrera, whom I think has been as important as the lauded Fellaini in recent performances.

If LVG shows the balls he claims to have and benches RVP and Falcao, in order to keep the current system in place, i'll be happy.

As for Smalling, he was playing very well in the games before that sending off - Chelsea and Arsenal games iirc. That City brainfart really was a few steps back for him and also made people feel he had been worse than he was prior to the red. Took some time to get going again after it though.

The issue with Smalling and Jones is consistency - if they can play to their best (and improve) consistently then they can be a very good pair of players. I just can't trust them to not make costly mistakes. I do think Evans could be shown the door in the summer on the back of Smalling and Jones in the last few weeks (especially if they continue this form) as I have no doubt that we will sign a CB, so at least one senior CB will be leaving.

I don't think he will change the formation. Last week or back he said he is playing 4-3-3 and that's his favorite one. He has also benched Di Maria because Young played well against Spurs. After Liverpool game he said Mata will play because he has played well. So we might stick to same formation and change only if someone plays too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Where would we be without ex-Liverpool players who make their living from incisive punditry and unbiased analysis? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah he is a great player to have. Those headers were good alright, great distance, good as any defender.

Fellaini has exceptional ball control too, which he probably doesn't get enough recognition for.

Absolutely, a couple of his touches/take downs had a serious bang of Berbatov off them in their execution.

I'd just like to point out that brevity is not only the soul of wit but easier on the mind. :)

I am finding it hard not to get excited our last 3 performances i know one was a defeat were the best 3 i have seen in a long time.

Herrera is fantastic it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It would be a massive relief to end the season well and finish in the top 4 comfortably.

Hopefully a proper squad rebuild can happen with RVP and Falcao being let go to allow Rooney to continue up top and build the team around this current formation.

If Fellaini or Mata is sold this Summer I at least think we can sell them for a decent price now. At times they looked like we'd have cut our loses but both have shown what they are capable of lately. DiMaria might be another story though. He is just too soft for the Premier League. He is scared of every tackle. Watch him flinch when a player shapes to tackle him.

GSPfan wrote: »
    It would be a massive relief to end the season well and finish in the top 4 comfortably.

Hopefully a proper squad rebuild can happen with RVP and Falcao being let go to allow Rooney to continue up top and build the team around this current formation.

If Fellaini or Mata is sold this Summer I at least think we can sell them for a decent price now. At times they looked like we'd have cut our loses but both have shown what they are capable of lately. DiMaria might be another story though. He is just too soft for the Premier League. He is scared of every tackle. Watch him flinch when a player shapes to tackle him.

Mata and Fellaini have been fantastic in our best 3 performances of the season no way either go.

We should be building the side around Mata and Herrera and Di Maria. Di Maria will come good he has excuses in fairness. I expect him to have a huge season next year.

Struggled with our slow ridgid system all year.
    The break in
    Adjusting to a new league

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hopefully a proper squad rebuild can happen

Would recent performances not show that we never needed a full squad rebuild?

Certainly we can improve and changes still need to be made, but we certainly don't need the type of wholesale changes some pundits thought earlier in the season. The quality is there, we just needed to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Lads, any word yet on whether or not the FA will be looking in to Skrtels 'Challenge' on De Gea at the end of the game?

Certainly we can improve and changes still need to be made, but we certainly don't need the type of wholesale changes some pundits thought earlier in the season. The quality is there, we just needed to use it.

I can't tell if Van Gaal really loves Valencia or just really, really hates Rafael, but depending on what the deal is there I could imagine a right back and a forward being the big targets, with Falcao and Hernandez leaving.

I can't think of anywhere else that blatantly needs improvement. Maybe CB, but most of them are homegrown in a squad looking short on homegrown players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think to get back to winning the league and champions league, then there certainly still needs to be significant improvements. That LVG has clicked them together now is great, but the squad itself, and the first team, still needs a lot of work imo.

Hopefully, we'll keep De Gea. He and Valdes are grand in that department.

Our defence needs rebuilding quickly; Jones/Smalling are too inconsistant, Rafael doesn't seem trusted, Valencia isn't good enough. Rojo and Shaw have shown moments this season and will hopefully improve but there does need to be a rebuilding job done there, quickly.

Our midfield is a bit shakey imo but not bad; Herrera and Fel are doing really well. Di Maria will hopefully come good. Blind and Carrick are grand back ups. It's probably our strongest area, but I'd worry could still do with another top level addition.

Up front, a trio of Young - Rooney - Mata may have won us our last two league games, but I doubt many would want it as a long term strategy. Depay could help big time. As could Bale or Ronaldo :P With RVP likely on his last legs, and Falcao going too, we need another striker to act as back up for Rooney.

So that's, imo, two center backs, a right back, possibly a center-mid, a winger and a striker needed at a decent enough pace. That's still a hefty rebuild job to take place.

The best signing of the summer would be Jorge Mendes as acquisitions manager. We pay him enough already.

Ed Woodward can concentrate on signing Chinese noodle sponsors.

Fùck me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mata and Fellaini have been fantastic in our best 3 performances of the season no way either go.

I would be both píssed off and shocked to see either go.

• Pro. F wrote: »

Think we should also give him credit for his truly underrated first touch and his intricate layoffs to Herrera (in particular the lovely piece of play / layoff to Herrera in which the then through ball was played into Mata for the first goal

• Advertisement

There is also one more site right where you can see which player has passed the ball to which player.

Remember checking it last year when RVP and Rooney passed the ball between them only 4-5 times

Edit: got it. Just didnt check other tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think to get back to winning the league and champions league, then there certainly still needs to be significant improvements. That LVG has clicked them together now is great, but the squad itself, and the first team, still needs a lot of work imo.

Our defence needs rebuilding quickly; Jones/Smalling are too inconsistant, Rafael doesn't seem trusted, Valencia isn't good enough. Rojo and Shaw have shown moments this season and will hopefully improve but there does need to be a rebuilding job done there, quickly.

Our midfield is a bit shakey imo but not bad; Herrera and Fel are doing really well. Di Maria will hopefully come good. Blind and Carrick are grand back ups. It's probably our strongest area, but I'd worry could still do with another top level addition.

Up front, a trio of Young - Rooney - Mata may have won us our last two league games, but I doubt many would want it as a long term strategy. Depay could help big time. As could Bale or Ronaldo :P With RVP likely on his last legs, and Falcao going too, we need another striker to act as back up for Rooney.

So that's, imo, two center backs, a right back, possibly a center-mid, a winger and a striker needed at a decent enough pace. That's still a hefty rebuild job to take place.

It has taken until the middle of March to get this bunch to play the way LVG wants them to play effectively, if we keep buying 5 or 6 new players in every window we haven't a hope of building anything of substance, not to mind developing our young players.

Lord TSC wrote: »

All the work Van Gaal did this season is of no use if we change half the team again. That's one of the reason for our slow start.

We need players for sure but I don't think we need 6 first team players to compete for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone else find the criticism of Di Maria yesterday laughable? On for about half an hour, assists a goal, assists a penalty win and about a foot away from putting another goal on a plate for Rooney.

I think Young has been playing well, but the above is more in end product in 30/35 minutes than Young has managed in a whole season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ericzeking wrote: »
    It has taken until the middle of March to get this bunch to play the way LVG wants them to play effectively, if we keep buying 5 or 6 new players in every window we haven't a hope of building anything of substance, not to mind developing our young players.

"developing young players" is largely what left us in a mess last year when the likes of Jones, Smalling et al were dropped into the first team and unable to do much. That's not a priority for me at all tbh.

Otherwise, I don't think it's that big a deal if the right players are brought in, and brought in quick. If LVG can identify 5 players who he knows plays the way he wants, and can slot them into the team, then I would happily see it happen, as opposed to continuing forward into the Champions League with the likes of Young still being our main attacker.

(That's not to underrate his impact this season; just that I think he shouldn't be a first team starter full time if we want to progress).

• keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the criticism of Di Maria yesterday laughable? On for about half an hour, assists a goal, assists a penalty win and about a foot away from putting another goal on a plate for Rooney.

I think Young has been playing well, but the above is more in end product in 30/35 minutes than Young has managed in a whole season.

He did loose possession a couple of times and we looked to have lost a bit of shape but his assist was sublime so no doubt in my mind he will come good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

This is my real worry as rvp has not been dropped when hes fit all season and much rather we keep the midfield/attack as it is now

keane2097 wrote: »

It's all about unrealistic expectation. With his price tag and reputation I think there are people out there who expect his every touch of the ball to be pure perfection and it's a dagger in their heart every time he mi****s a cross or plays a wayward pass.

That said, he is capable of more, we haven't seen him at his blistering best in a United shirt yet. He has been pretty effective for the most part though.

But they are top teams in the league, I was talking about league level, not CL.

That's fair enough. When I said he won't work out there against better opposition I was thinking more about the CL. The odd PL team too, depending on how good they are from season to season.
    Yeah he is not strong defensively but I can see so much improvement when compared to start of the season. He is playing with much higher tempo and with purpose rather than just playing sideways like he did before.

Also disagree about counter attacking part, I think it's a common belief and IMO it's wrong. No matter who plays on the wing if your teammate gives away possession when your teammates committed forward, opponents will counter attack and rip you apart.

It's something midfielders should be covering but can't blame them if they fail to.

For example, when Mata and Valencia are near the Liverpool box and Herrera passes the ball to Carrick who loses it, there is no way Mata and Valencia can go back and defend it. Only way to stop counter attacking is playing cautiously and not committing more players forward.

I'm more worried about can Mata track the full backs overlapping runs and help his Full back? At least in 2 games he was not tested so much but at least the signs are good.

I agree there are times where a midfielder can do nothing about a counter. But in the times where that isn't the case, I'd worry that his relative lack of athleticism could be exploited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I said yesterday after the match Fellaini was immense and deserved a lot of credit for his defensive cover. Mata was bound to grab the headlines but Fellaini was immense.

He basically said I"'m shutting down all air traffic here today" and turned Anfield into a NATO no fly zone.

Bangkok surely you must do a u-turn on your opinion of him now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement