Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Felliani can have all the love for now but for me Hererra is the real star. He is like the Carrick of that forward midfield area ahead of the half way line, doing a lot of work that might not be flashy but really keeps the ball ticking over and gives a platform to the likes of Mata. We have been missing that for so long, damn sure the likes of Cleverley couldn't do it. I really think this guy will develop a lot more too, hopefully he remains a fixture instead of LVG hauling him off at half time if we look shaky.

Yeah I'm really liking how he's settling into the team. Was hard to form proper opinions when he was in and out as a sub here and there, last few weeks though his abilities and impact is notable.

Unsurprising is his wonderful control, crisp passing, intelligent movement and how he lets the ball do all the work( as in he doesn't take needless touches, trusts his awareness for where players are). He really does have an acute sense of where players are closing him down from. Few times against Spurs and also yesterday he completely took out an opposing player just by letting the ball roll across him, to then switch the play.

What has been a major surprise is how quickly he sets of attacks/forward movement. He has no problem hitting Rooney's feet of giving Valencia something to chase. Innate sense of when to recycle possession and when to send it forward, even driving himself.

I'd say the biggest is his physicality. Looks very small on TV but as some have said he is near 6ft( or is). Good in a tackle and doesn't take ****. Seems actually pretty well timed for slide tackles, for the appearance of a player you'd assume might not be good at it.

Still drifts a bit in and out, but consistency and exposure to playing in the first team more will maybe sort that out. Can fully appreciate why people were saying when we bought him, he is not the finished article, but will likely form the Spanish midfield for Koke for at least 6 years. Has some wonderful qualities, very likeable character as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I find it very interesting that certain Liverpool fans seem to believe that De Gea's reaction yesterday was a worse offence than Skyrtels stamp.

And by interesting I mean amusing.

Don't need to be a lip reader to know what Skrtl says here.

david-de-gea-martin-skrtel_3280914.jpg?20150323114753

In his first 10 games David Moyes got 17 points
    In his second 10 games David Moyes got 17 points
    In his third 10 games David Moyes got 17 points

In his first 10 games LVG got 13 points
    In his second 10 games LVG got 24 points
    In his third 10 games LVG got 22 points

Progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really liking how he's settling into the team. Was hard to form proper opinions when he was in and out as a sub here and there, last few weeks though his abilities and impact is notable.

Unsurprising is his wonderful control, crisp passing, intelligent movement and how he lets the ball do all the work( as in he doesn't take needless touches, trusts his awareness for where players are). He really does have an acute sense of where players are closing him down from. Few times against Spurs and also yesterday he completely took out an opposing player just by letting the ball roll across him, to then switch the play.

What has been a major surprise is how quickly he sets of attacks/forward movement. He has no problem hitting Rooney's feet of giving Valencia something to chase. Innate sense of when to recycle possession and when to send it forward, even driving himself.

I'd say the biggest is his physicality. Looks very small on TV but as some have said he is near 6ft( or is). Good in a tackle and doesn't take ****. Seems actually pretty well timed for slide tackles, for the appearance of a player you'd assume might not be good at it.

Still drifts a bit in and out, but consistency and exposure to playing in the first team more will maybe sort that out. Can fully appreciate why people were saying when we bought him, he is not the finished article, but will likely form the Spanish midfield for Koke for at least 6 years. Has some wonderful qualities, very likeable character as well.

His personal highlights on beautifullyred.co.uk from the Spurs game make for some wonderful viewing. His tackle and scooped pass being my favourite.

Really hope he has done, or is doing, enough to show LVG he should be considered an important part of the side - around christmas there was a lot of whispers that he would be shown the door in the summer.

Cracking player, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I was impressed by De Gea's reaction it shows a growing confidence. I couldn't see Schmeichel or Van Der Sar doing much else in the circumstances. Though if Nemanja Vidic or Steve Bruce were on the pitch Skrtel might not have tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Korat wrote: »
    I was impressed by De Gea's reaction it shows a growing confidence. I couldn't see Schmeichel or Van Der Sar doing much else in the circumstances. Though if Nemanja Vidic or Steve Bruce were on the pitch Skrtel might not have tried it.

He wouldnt have been stupid enough to do it to Schmeichel. Scary bastard :pac:

He wouldnt have been stupid enough to do it to Schmeichel. Scary bastard :pac:

Ian Wright did it - did a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Give over. I'm sure nothing was said to Mario.

Fans giving a bit of stick/abuse should be able to take a bit back.

Strange how Smalling had the professionalism not to react to being pushed by a fan, seems to have gone unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I find it very interesting that certain Liverpool fans seem to believe that De Gea's reaction yesterday was a worse offence than Skyrtels stamp.

Kind of like their reaction when Gary Neville celebrated a goal against them at Old Trafford by having the audacity to kiss his badge and run in the direction of their fans in the ground. . You'd swear he had just fingered a Liverpool players dog the way some of their fans overreacted to it .

Amazing how the acts of Liverpool players are always minimised by their fans and the acts of United players/managers are blown out of proportion . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Drumpot wrote: »
    Gerrard was only on the pitch for 38 seconds. Even in a highlights reel, you would get to see his entire contribution to the game!;)

I kept reading it as "full name" for some reason :o

Drumpot wrote: »
    Kind of like their reaction when Gary Neville celebrated a goal against them at Old Trafford by kissing his badge in the direction of their fans in the ground. .

Amazing how the acts of Liverpool players are always minimised by their fans and the acts of United players/managers are blown out of proportion . .

thats the same for every group of fans though. There are always a load of people just waiting to be offended by anything and wanting to complain. It isn't unique to Liverpool, or United.

We still idolise Cantona, he kung foo kicked a fan. He stamped on Southgate. He did some nasty crap on the pitch. Keane was as guilty (and more in a high profile case) as Gerrard when it comes to a two footer or dangerous tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We still idolise Cantona, he kung foo kicked a fan. He stamped on Southgate. He did some nasty crap on the pitch. Keane was as guilty (and more in a high profile case) as Gerrard when it comes to a two footer or dangerous tackle.

Wasn't it Keane who stamped on Southgate?

thats the same for every group of fans though. There are always a load of people just waiting to be offended by anything and wanting to complain. It isn't unique to Liverpool, or United.

As the saying goes: "They might be cnuts,but they are our cnuts".Every fan will defend their own and despise the others.

Nandos - Something we're all better off without.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Wasn't it Keane who stamped on Southgate?

Possibly, yeah actually. Did Cantona do it too? I know he had a few nasty stamps himself, and some horrendous 'tackles' too. My point is that United have players who have dived, cheated, assaulted, surrounded refs etc - and while we may be embarrassed or annoyed by it, we get over it and still love Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo etc.

Possibly, yeah actually. Did Cantona do it too? I know he had a few nasty stamps himself, and some horrendous 'tackles' too. My point is that United have players who have dived, cheated, assaulted, surrounded refs etc - and while we may be embarrassed or annoyed by it, we get over it and still love Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo etc.

I love what Roy Keane did for us, but I can't stand him to be honest... but Cantona I love the guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No doubt about that but still, I for one certainly didn't start complaining about Southgates reaction after Keane stamped on him, and therein lies the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No doubt about that but still, I for one certainly didn't start complaining about Southgates reaction after Keane stamped on him, and therein lies the difference.

What reaction though. I haven't seen anyone mention De Gea's reaction except laughing that he didn't know where he was supposed to be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nandos - Something we're all better off without.

U wot m8?

Nandos do the best fast food chicken I've ever tasted. If you've never been you won't understand. Its a top notch brand.

I'll forgive your ignorance this one time.

Plus Januzaj likes to eat there. A worldly mature man with a sophisticated palette such as his can't be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Madrid fans attacking Bales car last night after the defeat.

1427103725_869338_1427105076_noticia_grande.jpg

He might be open for a move this summer. Ourselves PSG and City are the only teams that could afford him imo, Chelsea maybe. Worth a try.

DDG are you watching? this could be your car. Sign that contract buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keane2097 wrote: »
    I kept reading it as "full name" for some reason :o

I knew you weren't that dense! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree but lets be clear. That Crystal Palace fan was an absolute mong who got exactly what was coming to him . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

niallo27 wrote: »
    What reaction though. I haven't seen anyone mention De Gea's reaction except laughing that he didn't know where he was supposed to be injured.

I don't know what you're so hung up on the reaction for, shouldn't have been stamped on in the first place, if he rolls around holding his lad it still doesn't make what Skrtl did any less thuggish.

The thing is though, most United fans would admit that the above players did scummy things. Sure, they are still be idolized for other reasons, but I think most of us are aware that they were in the wrong and the above incidents were totally unacceptable.

I find it bizarre when fans act like players are above criticism for their behaviour. That they're not, or shouldn't be, bound by the same rules of civility and decency as the rest of us.

Oh its just there was some clown talking rubbish in the match thread, he didn't want to condemn Sktrel and preferred instead to focus on the guy who got stamped on. You may have missed it though.
    Sktrel didnt stamp on De Gea though. He stood on him and more than likely knew what he was doing but its very hard to prove.
    De Gea trying to act the hard man at the end was the only part of the game that i enjoyed. He collected the ball and he was fine, then he decided to be injured when smalling had a go at Skrtel. He then got up and tried to have a go at Skrtel but though better and decided to roll around on the ground again. It was comical.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    I don't know what you're so hung up on the reaction for, shouldn't have been stamped on in the first place, if he rolls around holding his lad it still doesn't make what Skrtl did any less thuggish.

I was responding to the post saying people are more outraged at De Geas reaction than to what Skrtel did which is simply not true.

Oh its just there was some clown talking rubbish in the match thread, he didn't want to condemn Sktrel and preferred instead to focus on the guy who got stamped on. You may have missed it though.

I never said it was a worse offense and i dont think any other liverpool fan said it was plus could you leave the personal abuse out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the criticism of Di Maria yesterday laughable? On for about half an hour, assists a goal, assists a penalty win and about a foot away from putting another goal on a plate for Rooney.

I think Young has been playing well, but the above is more in end product in 30/35 minutes than Young has managed in a whole season.

to be fair, i thought Di Maria apart from 2 moments of genius, was very poor yesterday. he gave away the ball on 7 or 8 occasions when a player of his caliber shouldnt be doing so and was beaten to alot of 60-40 balls during the game.

U wot m8?

Nandos do the best fast food chicken I've ever tasted. If you've never been you won't understand. Its a top notch brand.

I'll forgive your ignorance this one time.

Plus Januzaj likes to eat there. A worldly mature man with a sophisticated palette such as his can't be wrong.

overpriced mehtown tbf

• Advertisement

I never said it was a worse offense and i dont think any other liverpool fan said it was plus could you leave the personal abuse out please.

Do you agree with that other poster that Skyrtel didn't stamp on De Gea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

What result should we be looking for in Liverpool v Arsenal match?

Arsenal or a draw would more or less cement the top 4 spot.
    Liverpool beat Arsenal and we have a decent shot at 2nd given we have to play City albeit lets Liverpool back into a race for the Top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm sure he still agrees with his own post from yesterday.

If he actually thinks it wasn't a stamp, let him have his opinion. From past disagreements on here it's very unusual to change a fan from either sides opinion on an incident.

My opinion it was a stamp and it warrants a 3 match ban for serious foul play. De Gea at worse was dramatic and nothing more and won't be subject to an FA investigation for a poor theatrical performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Liverpool beat Arsenal and we have a decent shot at 2nd given we have to play City albeit lets Liverpool back into a race for the Top 4.

Arsenal to win or a draw second. If we match Arsenal till the end of the season it's a straight shoot out between us and them for third and potentially 2nd when we play them.

Priority is top 4 though and Liverpool losing virtually eliminates them from the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

1 million percent Arsenal win, hope they slip up against someone else in the remaining 7 games (which they will) beat City and we have a real chance of finishing 2nd irrespective of Arsenal beating Pool, although 2nd is the DREAM fourth now and I'd bite your hand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Madrid fans attacking Bales car last night after the defeat.

1427103725_869338_1427105076_noticia_grande.jpg

He might be open for a move this summer. Ourselves PSG and City are the only teams that could afford him imo, Chelsea maybe. Worth a try.

DDG are you watching? this could be your car. Sign that contract buddy.

The most odious spoiled fans in all of Europe and that's saying something.
    I can never understand why any player would want to go there - it wasnt long ago they were booing Ronaldo. If you have a dip in form the fans are on your back. Any time though they get beaten and Florantino Perez philosophy gets shown up, especially at the hands of Barca, then it makes me happy.

a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Arsenal win with a 20 man brawl resulting in season ending bans for both sets of players :cool:

It wasn't a stamp in the same way as Gerrard or Costa stamped. Costa got off for the same thing so we will have to wait and see what the FA say.

• Advertisement

A ball winner in midfield and Mats Hummels in defence would transform this team into a title winning monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We still lack a few speedy players.

Nani coming back and staying would solve a few minor problems at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

A ball winner in midfield and Mats Hummels in defence would transform this team into a title winning monster.

Steady on there!
    Agree to an extent but we still lack real pace - the sort we'd get off someone like Bale.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    It wasn't a stamp in the same way as Gerrard or Costa stamped. Costa got off for the same thing so we will have to wait and see what the FA say.

Stop lying to you self perhaps?

It was nasty plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Stop lying to you self perhaps?

It was nasty plain and simple

it was a stamp, pure and simple - anyone saying different must be wearing scouse spectacles.

kstand wrote: »
    Steady on there!
    Agree to an extent but we still lack real pace - the sort we'd get off someone like Bale.

You wouldn't be wanting Bale though. Sure did you not see the Madrid fans smashing up his car? He must be awful.

• Advertisement

gerrard getting sent off after 40 seconds...in his last game against us...

im still finding the space to let that sink in.....

For me, the result has somewhat overshadowed the magnitude of that fact and like you, it is still sinking in with me. At the time though, I didn't even laugh because I was a bit horrified at his collison with Mata and until the replay with Herrera I didn't see the stamp. The last I saw before the red card was Herrera going in late (though he pulled out) so I initially thought Herrera got the card. When the replays showed the stamp, I was more in "Get off the field you ****" territory than "Hahaha". Now the lols are setting in though, slowly, but surely.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Young looked to be injured(as opposed to commentary who seemed to indicate it was tactical) as Young was limping for a bit. Hopefully just a knock and not muscular, as he has really taken to playing that left side with Fellaini and Blind.

Unfortunately yes. For a ball that was played up-field to him, he pulled up before even challenging for the ball holding what seemed to be his hamstring. The Liverpool player closest to him didn't touch him and Young wasn't seeking action from the referee, play just went on. Although I did see Young running about after this, he went off not too long after. Hope it's nothing serious.
    Playing against ten men who were pressing for a goal that game should have been made for Di Maria but he kept giving the ball away. The pass for the second goal was decent but it was all about the finish.

It wasn't just decent, it was inch perfect in fairness to Di Maria. That kind of ball makes it ideal for the receiving player to realistically take on such a rare opportunity like a half-bicycle kick. Mata has acknowledged himself in his blog that with that pass from ADM, he didn't even have to take a touch to control the ball, it invited him to go for the shot.

I can't say while hoping United make a challenge for 3rd or even 2nd that I want Arsenal to win this. If cementing that 4th spot and taking the route of qualifying rounds to get into the group stages of the CL is all we are looking for, then yes an Arsenal victory would be great.

I'm still looking higher than that and think the team are capable of it. While it is currently in their own hands with home games vs City and Arsenal, United still need those teams to drop some points as United inevitably will drop some also.

A draw for me is the ideal result between Arsenal and Liverpool. In that case, if United win their home game with Villa like they bloody should it will put us in 3rd a point above Arsenal, and still 7 points ahead of the Pool. Also, in the event of a draw Arsenal's goal difference will stay the same on +27. United's is currently +25 and a win of 2 clear goals or more against Villa would match or better Arsenal's, which could be useful come the end of the season. A draw would also kill Arsenal's current winning streak and maybe some of their momentum with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

greendom wrote: »
    it was a stamp, pure and simple - anyone saying different must be wearing scouse spectacles.

Its not clear cut enough like Costa and Gerrard. I actually think its accidental and if it isn't there isn't enough evidence to charge him.

I despise stamping by the way of any kind but this isn't clear cut enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

rob316 wrote: »
    Its not clear cut enough like Costa and Gerrard. I actually think its accidental and if it isn't there isn't enough evidence to charge him.

I despise stamping by the way of any kind but this isn't clear cut enough for me.

Yes it is.

Skrtel will be rightly charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Johner wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Skrtel will be rightly charged.

Costa got away with doing the same thing as Skrtel so there is no way they can give him a 3 game ban and keep any credibility although that hasn't bothered them in the past.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement