Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think he's over rated, he's a good continental type centre back whose good on the ball and bringing the ball into midfield, id much prefer a no nonsense type defender like Godin and sign either Varane or the PSG lad as his partner

Godin is possibly the best in Europe, so yes please.

I think Marquinhos could be on the move this summer alright. Don't think Real Madrid will sell Varane, unless De Gea is leaving, he could maybe be used as a bargaining tool.

Sell Jones and Evans. I won't miss them. Smalling makes a case to stay since that time he fell asleep on the pitch against City.

There is a horrible stat of United have failed to win in 69% of games where Jones has played, I read the winning % goes over 70% where he has not played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

edgecutter wrote: »
    FA has new policies on banning for spitting and it means that Evans must get a ban for 6 games.

The point I'm making is it more severe than acts that are dangerous.Spitting is a scummy act but isn't dangerous.Shouldn't be a 6 game ban IMO FA rule is overly harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It looks intentional all-day long.

I agree with the severity. The FA and logic don't go together when it comes to bans.

I don't think he's a big loss to Utd anyway

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't make a call on the intention. I can't even see where the spit hit Cisse, if it even did, so I won't be making a definitive argument. He is also no loss and has been our worst CB this year.

But this is not exactly my point. If Evans feels that this was accidental, he absolutely should appeal. I would in the same situation, even if it meant an extra game ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

yabadabado wrote: »
    Spitting at someone is a scummy act no doubt about it but its not worst than headbutting/elbowing an opponent .
    Seems very harsh to hand out 6 match ban's for it.

I think it is way worse. I would be a lot angrier if someone spat in my face than headbutted me on the pitch. It is such a cowardly thing to do.

Terry got four game ban for racism wasn't it? Spitting is worse than racism, obviously.

I would imagine the length of the ban had more to do with the evidence. Terry denied the racism so it came down to the word of the players but video evidence clearly shows Evans spitting at Cisse. I think Suarez got a longer ban as it was the second high profile incident of racism and the FA probably realised that the 4 game ban didn't act as a strong enough deterrent. Also did Suarez not admit he said it but it was an accepted term in his country or something like that.

RichFTW wrote: »
    I think it is way worse. I would be a lot angrier if someone spat in my face than headbutted me on the pitch. It is such a cowardly thing to do.

I would be disgusted with either act but I would wipe the spit off and nail the scumbag later .
    Not a lot can be done if you are lying on the ground with your nose all over your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Spurs aren't going away lads, Sunday weeks game is massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have to say Smalling has improved massively on the ball this season which is good to see. He still has the odd brain fart but i think he has been very good for the most part this season.

looked shaky enough at times to day and if QPR actually played a bit from the start could have been a different story.Spurs looked terrible after QPR got their goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Match thread is a cesspool already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Cheers for the warning! Might pop in during the match... or not. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Cheers for the warning! Might pop in during the match... or not. :cool:

Avoiding it at all costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Avoiding it at all costs!

As an Arsenal fan I shall be doing similar. Some pretty stupid and pointless crap in there already. I don't get how these match threads get so poisonous, delusional and utterly ruined. Typically 3rd party fans have a bit to do with it as well. Hope it changes but the thread is up way too early also which isn't helping.

Anyway hope it retains a modicum of sense but il probably avoid so won't be disappointed.

Dunno what will happen...we have been shocking against United for so long now but iv a sneaky feeling this tie won't be finished at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Forget about Spurs and Southampton and anyone else apart from Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

i popped in for a couple of minutes. Barely made it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You expected them to "go away" at QPR?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lets get the build up going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

A little sad to see how crap Rio has become , just standing there helplessly playing everyone onside

But yeah, Spurs will fancy their chances of top 4.
    Could go down to the last day even

I'm feeling strangely optimistic about Monday's game. If it was at the Emirates I would feel different, but I think there's enough there to get the win at Old Trafford. It'll be no 8-2 though.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this...

DDG

Valencia----Smalling
    Rojo
    Blind

Carrick----Herrera

Di Maria
    Fellaini
    Young

Rooney

I thought Shaw played well in a few games last month, but LVG doesn't seem too hot on him plus I can't see Blind dropping out of the 11 for this match. Note; Fellaini is not at #10 in my line-up for hoof-ball purposes, in case anyone suggests it.

Mata and Falcao to be subbed on somewhere around 60-70 minutes.

Is James Wilson still around , haven heard him mentioned for a while ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is James Wilson still around , haven heard him mentioned for a while ?

Not the question you asked, but imo he was given chances and didn't take them, and this isn't the run-in to keep giving him more.

He can try again next season, for now it should be stop fucking about and leave Rooney up front, get the points on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

stankratz wrote: »
    I'm feeling strangely optimistic about Monday's game. If it was at the Emirates I would feel different, but I think there's enough there to get the win at Old Trafford. It'll be no 8-2 though.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this...

DDG

Valencia----Smalling
    Rojo
    Blind

Carrick----Herrera

Di Maria
    Fellaini
    Young

Rooney

I thought Shaw played well in a few games last month, but LVG doesn't seem too hot on him plus I can't see Blind dropping out of the 11 for this match. Note; Fellaini is not at #10 in my line-up for hoof-ball purposes, in case anyone suggests it.

Mata and Falcao to be subbed on somewhere around 60-70 minutes.

If Shaw is not fully fit then hopefully Young as LB. Don't want Blind as LB at all, if Walcott plays as RW then he will beat Blind every single time easily.

6 posts since 7.30pm yesterday, are we boycotting the superthread because of the match-thread closure and no one told me about it??

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If Shaw is not fully fit then hopefully Young as LB. Don't want Blind as LB at all, if Walcott plays as RW then he will beat Blind every single time easily.

I didn't consider Young for LB in this game but I'd agree with your reasoning for putting him there and not Blind. Would you be putting him as LWB in a 3 at the back job, or LB in a traditional 4? I'd hope myself to see 4 at the back used Monday night.

Out of Herrera, Carrick and Blind, I can't see them all starting for this match, especially if Fellaini is also in the 11. Maybe this is the game where Ander returns to the bench. I'm not proposing that myself, just think LVG will favour Carrick and Blind for this match with Fellaini further up the pitch. Of course, he could play Blind or Carrick at CB and still fit Herrera in CM, but I would like to see Smalling and Rojo reinstalled as CB pairing as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I didn't consider Young for LB in this game but I'd agree with your reasoning for putting him there and not Blind. Would you be putting him as LWB in a 3 at the back job, or LB in a traditional 4? I'd hope myself to see 4 at the back used Monday night.

Out of Herrera, Carrick and Blind, I can't see them all starting for this match, especially if Fellaini is also in the 11. Maybe this is the game where Ander returns to the bench. I'm not proposing that myself, just think LVG will favour Carrick and Blind for this match with Fellaini further up the pitch. Of course, he could play Blind or Carrick at CB and still fit Herrera in CM, but I would like to see Smalling and Rojo reinstalled as CB pairing as soon as possible.

I wouldn't mind any number of shuffles to avoid playing 3 at the back. If only way Young playing there is as LWB then I hope we start Smalling - Jones as CBs with Rojo as LB. If one of them is injured then either Carrick or McNair as CBs and Rojo as LB.

Also thinking about it again, Blind might not be a worst option considering Young plays as LW. So he will get enough cover defensively but I would rather play Rojo than Blind.

Midfield is interesting one, now Fellaini, Herrera, Blind and Carrick all are fit, I think Fellaini will play as attacker with Rooney. Herrera should start this game. So that leaves 1 spot of Carrick or Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just noticed (not that it really means anything) that we've lost the same number of games in the league this season as Real Madrid have in la liga. Of course the big difference is they have only one draw to their name and we have 8. Them draws are proving to be the killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Do you think if we offered Athletico Di Maria for Griezman theyd go for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

No offence meant, but how on earth can we answer this question? We have no clue about the inner workings of Atletico so can't say whether they'd go for that.

If the question you meant to ask was would we as fans be happy to swap Di Maria for Griezmann, my answer would be no. Give Si Maria another season. He's clearly a good player and worth sticking by for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ffs. Utd are not selling di Maria. Jesus Christ.

Di Maria is this years Fellaini and is the scapegoat just like Fellaini was.

Cop on and use your head will you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Speaking of Di Maria, his apparent house went up for sale today (mighty fine house), cue Di Maria OFF rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

His apparent house?

• Advertisement

His apparent house?

Yeah as in its been reported his house without evidence of it actually being his, not that I've seen anyway.

The one that got broken into recently? Hardly surprising when you have so much money to just move house.

Without a doubt there will be idiots who think he is moving country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wouldn't surprise me at all if his wife wanted to move house after what happened. Even if he was definitely leaving in the summer it wouldn't make sense to sell up now, as he'll still need somewhere to live for the next 3 months or so.

Scrap the cap!

The one that got broken into recently? Hardly surprising when you have so much money to just move house.

Without a doubt there will be idiots who think he is moving country.

Yeah thats the one, only £4.1m, reckon we all throw a fiver together and see what happens.

For anyone nosy enough

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48726643.html

I wish I was rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

get in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nice result for us in the Pool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Blackburn making things a bit easier for us, replay on same week we play pool.

Note to self: don't search other houses for sale in chesire, it'll only make you sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kona wrote: »
    Blackburn making things a bit easier for us, replay on same week we play pool.

8th April actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anybody else feel kind of meh about the game tomorrow night? Obviously I'll be disappointed if we lose but if we win the FA cup but finish 5th the season will have been a failure in my eyes.

I think the day the FA cup is seeded and the winners given a CL place is the day it will be taken seriously again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I want to win the cup

5th and the cup is a poor season overall
    4th and no cup is a level par season
    4th and the cup is a good season overall
    3rd and the cup is a fantastic season this season all things considered.

It would be better to win it to instill a winning mentality in the team again also, to get that feeling of winning a trophy again. I know we are the International Champions Cup holders, but a lot of the current team were not involved in that tournament ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Domestic cups are vanity, Champions League is sanity.

Just thinking; United already have one win over Arsenal this season with a 1-2 result at the Emirates in November. To progress tomorrow night, obviously we have to beat them then or in the replay. In May, we have Arsenal at home once more for our second-last league game of the season. Ideally we'd be winning this as well considering it will probably be vital to our Top 4 chances.

So my point is, I can't see us being that good/lucky to get 3 wins over the Arsenal this season. I'm a little less optimistic about tomorrow night's game after thinking about that. Of course, given the choice, I'd take the win in the league in May over the win tomorrow night.

kryogen wrote: »
    I want to win the cup

5th and the cup is a poor season overall
    4th and no cup is a level par season
    4th and the cup is a good season overall
    3rd and the cup is a fantastic season this season all things considered.

It would be better to win it to instill a winning mentality in the team again also, to get that feeling of winning a trophy again. I know we are the International Champions Cup holders, but a lot of the current team were not involved in that tournament ;)

I don't know Kryo, I imagine the lucky ones who were there for that magnificent tournament have shared the great stories about winning it with those who were not, and some of that magic has hopefully rubbed off. It gives the likes of Angel Di Maria and Daley Blind something to strive towards this Summer. No doubt it was the Guinness International Champion's Cup win which turned Angel's sights towards us in the first place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just thinking; United already have one win over Arsenal this season with a 1-2 result at the Emirates in November. To progress tomorrow night, obviously we have to beat them then or in the replay. In May, we have Arsenal at home once more for our second-last league game of the season. Ideally we'd be winning this as well considering it will probably be vital to our Top 4 chances.

So my point is, I can't see us being that good/lucky to get 3 wins over the Arsenal this season. I'm a little less optimistic about tomorrow night's game after thinking about that. Of course, given the choice, I'd take the win in the league in May over the win tomorrow night.

Arsenal are very overrated this season. Take away Sanchez, Walcott and Giroud and they're very beatable. Plus we seem to have had Arsenals number for quite a while now. Wenger couldn't even mastermind a win over Moyes' United. In fact, if Van Persie hadn't left his shooting boots on the bus, we'd have won comfortably in the Emirates.

Who is the blonde one in that video ?
    With northern accent.

Also I'm not sure that is a fat David May lookalike, or actually May himself

thelad95 wrote: »
    Arsenal are very overrated this season. Take away Sanchez, Walcott and Giroud and they're very beatable. Plus we seem to have had Arsenals number for quite a while now. Wenger couldn't even mastermind a win over Moyes' United. In fact, if Van Persie hadn't left his shooting boots on the bus, we'd have won comfortably in the Emirates.

I agree, I just think we'll be very lucky to end the season 3/3 against them and am wondering which of the games will be the one where they get something from us.

Actually, I just had a look to see when Arsenal last beat United in Old Trafford. If my research is accurate, it's not good for the Gunners; Their last win in OT was a 0-1 league win on Sept 17th 2006. To add to that, the last time Arsenal got a draw at OT was May 2009.

Ok, my optimism is returning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

thelad95 wrote: »

That's a load of bollocks in fairness. Sure Walcott was injured until a couple of months ago...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement