Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dont remember Costa stamping on De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

adox wrote: »
    Dont remember Costa stamping on De Gea.

Good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Costa got done for the stamp on Can which was about as intentional as Skrtels. Costa tried to jump out of the way off Skrtel and stood on him.

Skrtel however ran straight into De Gea, no attempt to vault him until he actullay stood on him, if the FA have any consistency it should be a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »
    Costa got away with doing the same thing as Skrtel so there is no way they can give him a 3 game ban and keep any credibility although that hasn't bothered them in the past.

Costa didn't get away with the Can one though. The Costa one on Skrtel wasn't a stamp, Skrtel's leg was coming up while Costa was landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Skrtel has been charged by the fa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I was adamant last Summer that Strootman would be a United player, but having read (a while back) that he has had more knee trouble I'm doubtful again. Depay is a sure thing imo, especially given his relationship with LvG already. He's only 21 as well, perfect time to get him in.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

There ya go. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Costa got done for the stamp on Can which was about as intentional as Skrtels. Costa tried to jump out of the way off Skrtel and stood on him.

Skrtel however ran straight into De Gea, no attempt to vault him until he actullay stood on him, if the FA have any consistency it should be a ban.

Problem been consistency there Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Source?
    Loads of journos breaking it on twitter now.

https://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/580050175147773952

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

He tried to jump out of the way and somehow landed on his leg. Costa is mad in the head. He knew what he was doing.

rob316 wrote: »
    Its not clear cut enough like Costa and Gerrard. I actually think its accidental and if it isn't there isn't enough evidence to charge him.

I despise stamping by the way of any kind but this isn't clear cut enough for me.

Skrtel's was worse IMO. Gerrard was fired-up and trying to impose himself on the game and put some fear into the United players who dominated in the first half. It was disgraceful and OTT no doubt, but in Gerrard's mind somehow he was trying to bring his team back into the game at 0-1 with 45 minutes to go.

Skrtel's was petty and selfish. He knew the game was over once DDG collected that over-hit pass and just wanted to get one more dig in at a United player. Those who say that his natural momentum took him into DDG think that they're doing Skrtel a favour but are actually insulting the man's ability as a healthy human being with normal reflexes, never mind a professional footballer. That jump he eventually makes over DDG (where his right foot planted in DDG's calf is launching his bodyweight) could very easily have been made 2-3 paces earlier.

For me it is clear-cut, and I can honestly say that I would be of the same opinion if you replaced DDG and Skrtel for Mignolet and Smalling in the very same incident and circumstances.

Edit: I see Skrtel's been charged, 100% the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He tried to jump out of the way and somehow landed on his leg. Costa is mad in the head. He knew what he was doing.

Theres no one doubting that part but he didnt mean to land on Skrtel, both players in unnatural positions happened to come together, the Can one was more malicious and even that was iffy yet he still got charged by the FA.

Seemingly, so has Skrtel which for consistency is right IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It wasn't a stamp in the same way as Gerrard or Costa stamped. Costa got off for the same thing so we will have to wait and see what the FA say.

Seriously dude - that's bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the criticism of Di Maria yesterday laughable? On for about half an hour, assists a goal, assists a penalty win and about a foot away from putting another goal on a plate for Rooney.

I think Young has been playing well, but the above is more in end product in 30/35 minutes than Young has managed in a whole season.

He was our 2nd worst players on the pitch yesterday, who's first contribution was to catch the ball while it was in play which cant have done his confidence any good.

The vision for his assist was great but it wasnt executed well and if Mata hadnt turned it into magic it would just have been another misplaced pass. The goal looked great mind.

Pass to Rooney was easy as he was under no pressure he could also have picked out Mata and wrapped up the game at 3-0

His passing all over the pitch was sloppy and he did put us under pressure a few times with it, you dont mind it happening in thier half for crosses and throughballs but not for simple passes and not in our own area.

I feel like I'm being overly harsh but I just felt the game was perfect for him, a goal then 2 up versus 10 men and him being lighting quick, thought it was the match for him to show what he can do but alas it didnt work out.

He is having a bad season and I still am very confident he will come good but to call the critisism of him laughable well it really isnt.

Also young played most of the game versus 11 men, Di Maria versus 10 we cant know what he would have created in them circumstances and it is unfair to compare especially as Liverpool where chasing the game and Di Maria got a lot of space.

Trilla wrote: »
    Seriously dude - that's bollox

Why though I believe both players knew exactly what they were doing.

Why though I believe both players knew exactly what they were doing.

Why? you said it wasn't a stamp like Gerrard? A stamp is a stamp. End of

WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Di Maria and Rooney both very poor.

Fellaini and Young excellent.

Goes to show how little internet fandom relates to the pitch.

Why? you said it wasn't a stamp like Gerrard? A stamp is a stamp. End of

WTF

I think they are different. I think what Gerrard done was more malicious and dangerous than what Skrtel did.

I think they are different. I think what Gerrard done was more malicious and dangerous than what Skrtel did.

so? I'm sure Hitler was more malicious than Bin Laden, actually was he? Wait.......hmmmm

Both stamps. Both very very wrong. One worse than the other, but both disgraceful

so? I'm sure Hitler was more malicious than Bin Laden, actually was he? Wait.......hmmmm

Both stamps. Both very very wrong. One worse than the other, but both disgraceful

Bin Laden wasnt that bad. I think he was ****ed over and blamed for everything a bit like Moyes last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Wow

Wow

Ya moyes was worse than Bin Laden is what we can take from all this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ya moyes was worse than Bin Laden is what we can take from all this

Do you ever think before pressing the Submit Reply button? The loss yesterday seems to have hit you hard. Its ok Niall, life goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel to be charged with violent conduct for 'stamp' on David De Gea
    The incident occurred at the end of Sunday's clash with Manchester United as the Slovakian defender chased down a loose ball

Martin Skrtel is set to be charged by the FA for his alleged stamp on David De Gea.

The Liverpool defender appeared to leave his foot in on the Manchester United goalkeeper as he chased down a loose ball in stoppage time of Sunday's 2-1 defeat.

De Gea reacted angrily to the challenge and squared up to Skrtel, before the pair were separated.

The FA confirmed on Monday that they were looking into the incident and are now set to charge Skrtel with violent conduct.

After the defeat to United, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers insisted there was no intent from Skrtel as he made the challenge.

Rodgers said: "I have seen the Martin Skrtel incident. The ball was played through but it probably looks worse in slow motion.

"It looks like he is trying to get a nick on the ball, to get a toe on the ball but the ball went into the goalkeepers hand.

"Martin is not that type of player, he was just a fraction out."

Earlier in Sunday's game, Steven Gerrard was sent off by referee Martin Atkinson, just 48 seconds after entering the field.

The Liverpool skipper was brought on at half-time and appeared to stamp on Ander Herrera after the Spaniard had jumped into a challenge.

Gerrard, who will join LA Galaxy at the end of the season, is also set for a three-game ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I thought this was a thread about United? Had to check as I thought I was in some war history thread :pac:

Back to the good stuff, still buzzing from the win at the weekend and made getting up for work that little bit easier :D

Tough games coming up but were in tremendous form. We have the lead on Pool now and the main thing is to keep pushing and not make all the work at the weekend pointless. All I want is champions league football next season and we've given ourselves such a good chance of getting it by proving people wrong with two great wins with Spurs and Pool. Hopefully we add two more with City and Chelsea :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest wrote some sarcy and smartarse posts that I've re-written and re-written the last 15 minutes.

But I think after all the **** we got from LFC last year, and even this year, the result yesterday, and the manner of it, doing the double over them home and away, Gerrard being sent off, and now the additional ban, the below perfectly sums up my feelings right now

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bin Laden wasnt that bad. I think he was ****ed over and blamed for everything a bit like Moyes last year.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

I think maybe the conversation is heading down a very weird path which could lead to problems. Discuss the stamp, it's a big incident, and the debate has been civil enough. But let's cut out the comparisons between Moyes, Bin Laden and Hitler....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Thread has been Godwinned. Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Forget looking over our shoulder worrying about Liverpool. We should be looking ahead now, aiming to finish 2nd as close to Chelsea as possible. (Is it wrong that I'm still hoping for a Chelsea collapse and that we pip them for the league? :D )

I'm not overly concerned with Liverpool now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them battle it out with Spurs and the chasing pack for 5th spot.

Kürzlich, wunderbar alles sein.

Showing and going is something that needs to return to the Utd style of play.

Short and fast has been missing for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

And I thought things couldnt get better. Go wan the FA

Bloody delighted, deserves every bit of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This is class!

enOYqhX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

This guy has Herrera importance to the team spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

tumblr_nlmlapOPsN1t17j4bo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The look on Herrera's face .:D

Bueno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Trond wrote: »
    tumblr_nlmlapOPsN1t17j4bo1_1280.jpg

What a day :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I dont think di maria even celebrated the goal he assisted. Watched the footage a few times and cant see him celebrating with the team anywhere. Adds a little weight to all the rumours he isnt happy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love the Liverpool fans in the background pointing at the United fans who managed to get into the home section celebrating the goal.

There has always been pocket of United fans in those bottom seats behind the goal for as long as I remember. Even going back 21 years to the famous 3-3 in January 1994. Its was always that same place with handful of fans. However they get the tickets I don't know but brave men whoever they are.

Gerrard slips to cost Liverpool the title and then does not last a minute in his last(although he might do Henry) game against United. What a time to be alive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Still smiling... I'm very happy as a MATA of fact....very happy, yesterday was a beautiful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A stamp is a sign of friendship in Slovakia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great win yesterday. Just wondering if you think Mata will still be sold in the summer. He has been strongly linked with Valencia and Athletico

I reckon Mata, De Gea, Di Maria, Falcao might even add Hererra and RVP will be linked with every club under the Sun this summer no matter what.

I reckon Mata, De Gea, Di Maria, Falcao might even add Hererra and RVP will be linked with every club under the Sun this summer no matter what.

There's not much of a chance Falcao will sign permanently though is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd be gobsmacked if we took up the option to take Falcao on a permanent deal unless he goes into goal spasm mode for the last handful of games which is unlikely considering we have also probably found our best formation, system and first 11.

De Gea I really hope ends up staying as we all do, a real United player in every sence.

I'd like to see Mata stick around, he has only been hear just over a year and looks to be settling right in.

Hererra will defo be here

Di Maria I'm unsure of, hasn't proved his worth and is by all accounts unsettled, although like any foreign player in a new league I think he could really shine if we stick with him.

RVP could be on the way. Love a big balls move for Lewandowski as a replacment.

Gonna be an interesting summer.

Johner wrote: »
    There's not much of a chance Falcao will sign permanently though is there?

Yes, but even if we do somehow keep him I can see him been linked right up till end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Really interesting summer ahead.
    A CB,RB and a midfielder are essential imo.
    Depay looks a likely target but have no idea who United might want to buy for the other positions.Not too many top class CB's around at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement